Unofficial Portkey Archive

Could Be Worse by Green Eggs and Ham
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Could Be Worse

Green Eggs and Ham

Wishing

Everybody knows people only want what they can't have. It's human nature. Just the way things are. Even when they get what they wanted, they only find something else to wish for…

Chapter 1

What He Didn't Have

"Harry!" she shouted, banging on his bedroom door. "Get up! Your breakfast is getting cold!"

Harry pulled his pillow tightly over his head. Since when did the summer holidays have to be so stressful? Wasn't summer the time when you were supposed to sleep in and be lazy every day?

She kept on with her incessant pounding. Living with Harry for all seventeen years of her life, she had finally learned that the only way to get him up was to drive him crazy until he did what she wanted. She could only imagine what his friends had to deal with when he went to Hogwarts.

Her husband walked slowly from their room, stopping in the doorway with a tired scowl on his face. "Will you just leave him alone? The boy is never going to get up!" he said, laughing softly at his wife's frustration at Harry's laziness. "Anyway, it's only the second day of summer. Shouldn't he be allowed to sleep in a bit?"

She sighed. "I suppose a few more minutes wouldn't hurt," she said slowly, and then raising her voice a bit, shouted to the door, "But don't blame me if your breakfast gets cold!"

"Fine!" Harry shouted, shoving his head back under his pillow. It was times like this Harry wondered if it wouldn't be so bad to be an orphan…

*

Harry dragged his tired body into the kitchen where his father was sipping a cup of tea and reading the Daily Prophet, and his mother was biting into a piece of toast, just picking up her Witch Weekly magazine.

"Well look who finally decided to get up," James Potter said as Harry flopped into a chair at the kitchen table. "You're mother and I were really starting to worry," he laughed.

After a few moments of silence, Lily Potter, pointed to the cover of her magazine, handing it to Harry. "Neville Longbottom is on the cover again." She sighed, and then added sadly, "That poor boy… all the things he's been through…"

Looking at the picture of Neville Longbottom on the cover of the most famous witches magazine in the entire wizarding world, Harry didn't see what was so bad about being famous. Neville's face winked at him, and brushed his hair out of his face, showing a lightning bolt-shaped scar on his forehead. He even has a cool scar...

Harry flipped to page 12, where there were more pictures of Neville-one of him with his parents, one of him flocked by about a dozen giggling girls, one of him signing autographs for sick children.

Neville Longbottom, the hero of the wizarding world, celebrated the anniversary of his defeat of Lord Voldemort yesterday by signing autographs for children in St. Mungo's. The 17-year-old is a seventh year at Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry, but his friends say, Neville has definitely not let his fame get to his head.

Harry looked at the picture of Neville with the girls. He was grinning widely, and winking at everyone around him. He had one arm around a beautiful blonde, and the other around a gorgeous brunette, and he looked thrilled about the jealous looks they were receiving from the other girls around them. No, Harry thought. He is definitely not letting this get to his head.

"Neville deals with everything so well," his best friend, Ronald Weasley commented. "He has had so much pain in his life, what with the death of his parents when he was a child, and then he was practically forced into being a murderer. It's just a miracle that he can still be so normal."

Harry had seen Ron Weasley around Hogwarts. He practically worshipped the ground Neville walked on. It was sickening. And also quite sad, because he was only friends with Neville because he was famous. But regardless, Harry would have given anything to be in Neville's position.

Harry threw down the magazine, making both his mother and his father jump, and stomped up the stairs to his room.

*

Harry could tell his parents were starting to worry about him, and he knew he should try to lighten up, but it was hard when he felt like his life could fall apart at any moment. It seemed like everyone else had it better than him. Life was so hard.

He could hear shouting downstairs. Again. They were doing that a lot lately. Whenever his dad wanted to go out with Sirius, his mum would get upset and they would fight. But it was alright. Harry was used to it by now.

"Harry!" said a voice outside his bedroom door, making him jump.

"What do you want?" he shouted, annoyed.

A little girl burst through his door and threw herself onto his bed. She had red hair and dark brown eyes, and she was practically bouncing off the walls.

"Harry! Guess what? Guess what?" his sister shouted, now bouncing energetically from his bed to the floor.

Harry shoved his head into his pillow, mumbling, "Go away, Emily!"

"But GUESS WHAT!" she shouted, trying in vain to yank the pillow from Harry's face. When she got no answer, she yelled, "I just did my first MAGIC!"

She then took a step back from Harry's bed, and looked at him as if expecting him to jump up and down for her. Disappointed, she ran silently from the room, and seconds later, Harry heard his parents excited shouts from downstairs.

I know it's short, but I couldn't really think of anything else to say. I'm not sure if it's good enough to continue-it's just kind of something I wrote when I was bored… Leave a review to let me know what you think. And if you do think I should continue with the story, I would appreciate it if you had any ideas or suggestions of what you'd like to see in the next chapter. I can't promise that I'll use your ideas, because I'm kind of opposed to using other people's ideas in my stories, but I'm kind of stuck for what else to write, and I think my brain could use a push…

-->