Unofficial Portkey Archive

Could Be Worse by Green Eggs and Ham
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Could Be Worse

Green Eggs and Ham

I know it's been more than a while since the last chapter, and any of you who might have read this story have probably forgotten all about it, but I hope you like it anyway… So, umm… have fun I guess!

Chapter 5

Harry rolled over, desperately trying to get back to sleep. It was, after all, the weekend, and he should be able to sleep in, but tragically, it was just not possible, because Neville Longbottom's voice was booming through the boys dormitory.

"Oh, and be sure to tell Hermione that she is to wear blue dress robes to the ball, Ronald. They would match with my eyes," he was saying.

At these words, Harry gave up all hopes of getting back to sleep, and rolled himself out of bed lazily. Ignoring Neville and Ron, he walked straight out of the door, and decided to find Hermione, who would probably be studying in the common room. He saw her almost immediately and walked straight over, avoiding bumping into all kinds of people who were simply too busy to acknowledge his existence.

"Harry!" Hermione shouted curiously when she saw him. "What are you doing up? You're hardly ever awake before noon!"

Harry rubbed his eyes sleepily as he sat down. "Well Neville woke me up with all his talking," he replied grudgingly. "Something about dress robes…"

Hermione practically squealed. "Dress robes? He wasn't talking about me, was he?"

He hadn't even been up ten minutes and already his day had become practically unbearable. "Yea, I think he might've been."

"Do you know he asked me to the ball?"

Harry sighed, putting his chin on his hands. "I think I'd heard that, yea."

Hermione sighed, staring out into space happily, and Harry nearly died. Just then, Ron stumbled into the common room, and walked over to them. "Um, Hermione?" he stuttered nervously. "Neville wanted me to tell you to wear blue for the ball."

Hermione looked up. "Why blue? And why didn't he just tell me himself?"

Ron sighed, sitting down. "Don't know really. He does this for everything, though. He says blue will match his eyes."

At this, Harry laughed, but managed to hide it with a cough. But Hermione looked on the verge of laughter, too. "His eyes?" she asked incredulously.

Ron smiled at this too, and leaned forward, whispering, "Yea, I know. He can be a little… showy sometimes. And he's just recently started having me deliver all his messages. But, I mean, it's understandable, I suppose… all the stuff he's had to deal with, you know?"

Somehow, Harry had the feeling that if he had ever been put into Neville's position, he'd have dealt with it a lot better.

*

Harry, Ron, and Hermione had spent the whole day walking around the castle, talking, and Harry found that Ron wasn't the annoying flatterer Harry had originally thought him to be. In fact, the three of them made pretty good friends. Ron wasn't so bad after all.

And after all the giggling and blushing, it didn't seem like Hermione liked Neville as much as she had been letting on.

"I suppose he's not really that good-looking when you really look at him, either. All those girls just like him because he's famous. I don't really know what came over me!" she laughed.

"Don't worry about it," Ron chuckled. "I guess it's just that charm he has. But it gets old fast."

"Why do you still hang around him then?" Harry asked.

Ron paused, and then said slowly, "I guess I've never had anything better to do. I mean, Neville was the first person I met when I got to Hogwarts, and once I started hanging out with him, I guess I kind of got a reputation, and nobody else would really give me a chance."

Hermione smiled. "Well it's different now. We're your friends now. And I don't think I'm going to go to the ball with Neville, after all."

Harry smiled as the three of them made their way back to the common room.

Things were starting to look up after all.

If you liked it, or if you thought it was stupid and horrible, let me know… Review! I'd appreciate it!


-->