Unofficial Portkey Archive

Could Be Worse by Green Eggs and Ham
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Could Be Worse

Green Eggs and Ham

Chapter 4

The next few weeks went by just as painfully as the first few had been, if not more so. Neville still walked around as if he owned the school, talking back to teachers without any consequences whatsoever, and still making Hermione giggle.

In fact everything was going so awfully that Harry was sure it couldn't get any worse.

And then it all went to hell.

*

"Now everyone, quiet down," Professor McGonagoll cried in a futile attempt to silence her class after Neville had just strutted into the classroom. "I have an announcement to make."

The class reluctantly stopped talking to Neville and turned to hear what announcement could possibly be more important than the fact that the Boy-Who-Lived had just entered the classroom.

"In an attempt to create some unity between houses of the school, Professor Dumbledore has decided that we would all advantage greatly from a school function that would bring all the houses together in a mutually beneficial way." She paused as all the students looked at her in confusion. "Our Headmaster has decided that this school function shall be a ball."

The class erupted in cheers, but Harry stayed strangely quiet. One thought was going over and over in his head. This was his chance. He would ask Hermione, and then she'd never giggle at Neville again, because then she'd finally know how he felt and she'd feel the same way, and everything would be perfect.

But as the class quietened, and Harry turned to look at Hermione, his thoughts were suddenly silenced. Neville was smiling at her-at his Hermione-and she was smiling back. They seemed strangely caught up in each other. Neville, of course, would only have been acting. He had obviously already chosen her as his date to the ball. And what could Harry do to compete with that?

He slammed his head on the desk.

Still, no one noticed.

*

When class was let out, Hermione moved over to Harry, who still had his head resting on the desk, and was making no effort to pack away his things, or even to get at all.

"Feel like talking about it?" she said softly.

"About what?" he replied shortly, his voice sounding strangely strangled.

She sighed. "Don't try to pretend like nothing's bothering you. I know something is wrong. You've been so distant."

Harry lifted his head from the desk to look up at her. He would have told her right then that he loved her, had Neville not been standing right behind her with his arm around her.

"Don't worry, about him," he said softly, leading her away out of the classroom. "He'll talk to you when he's ready."

And then, as they were walking away, Neville turned back to look at Harry, and he smirked.

Harry looked around the empty classroom slowly, and then packed up his things and left the classroom, making his way slowly back to the common room.

I'm sorry it wasn't very long and I know nothing exciting happened, but I promise the story will speed up soon. I have an idea for where I want the story to go now, and it should start moving there in the next chapter. Sorry if you where terribly bored with this one, but I would still really appreciate reviews if you can spare the time and energy it takes to type a few words in a little box. Please?

Even if you hated it, I still need to know!! Thanks!

-->