Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter And The Emerald Ring by Classic Cowboy
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter And The Emerald Ring

Classic Cowboy

Harry Potter and the Emerald Ring

Chapter 1: Brightest Day Darkest Night

Not so long ago …

Two figures shot toward Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, a man and a woman, both in cased in a bright green energy field. they landed outside the school before Albus Dumbledore, who had been standing there expecting them.

They were both dressed in similar black and green uniforms and masks with a symbol in the shape of a lantern on their chests. The man was older, with graying hair around the temples and an athletic build, and the woman was in her younger twenties, late teens at the least. Her uniform showed her curves well, accenting her long crimson locks held up in a high pony tail.

"Hello, Mr. Jordan," Professor Dumbledore greeted the Green Lantern of the Muggle part of the Earth, and then turned to the Green Lantern of the Wizardry part. "It is great to see you again as well, Ms. Evans, I trust Mr. Potter is doing well."

"He's fine, Professor, he is one of the reasons we're here," the woman Green Lantern stated. "Again I'd like to apologize in advance for James and I missing the Order meeting, sir."

"I believe a honeymoon is well enough excuse this one time, my dear," Dumbledore winked at the Lantern, causing her cheeks to color. "But I get the feeling you didn't come with the leader of the Green Lantern Corps only to apologize for a missed meeting."

"You're right as always, Professor …" the Lantern said lifting her ring. Her uniform and mask took a green glow before fading away, leaving her in a red skirt and white blouse, and letting her hair tumble down her shoulders, "I have discovered earlier this week … I'm pregnant, James doesn't know yet, I'm going to tell him after our wedding as a bit of a present you see … and … as I have spoken with Hal, until after our child is able to be without me I am giving up the title of Green Lantern. Should something happen to me between now and then, Albus I'd like you to hold onto my ring."

Dumbledore's eye brows shot up in surprise as Lily placed her power ring, the source of a Green Lantern's power, then a large green lantern, "And here is its battery. Should something happen to me and/or James, this could be the only match Voldemort's power. His strength is almost absolute, but should a powerful wizard or witch wield this weapon's power he or she could in theory overpower the Dark Lord." Lily then took a said smile, "If something becomes of me, I wish you to know my last wish would be that my child would take the ring you and Hal gave me my final year of Hogwarts. Next to the ring James gave me last summer and the child we have created, it is the most valuable gift I have ever been given to me."

"Is this alright, Mr. Jordan?" Dumbledore asked the other Lantern.

"Lily has been a great Lantern, and I hope she'll come back after everything's in order," Green Lantern nodded, "But as she said if something happens, I'm sure her child would make as great if not a greater Green Lantern."

"Then it shall be done," Dumbledore nodded, glancing down at the glowing ring in his palm, "I only hope it doesn't not have to." The old man smiled at the redhead, "Would you like me to set you a portkey for your home, my dear?"

"I'm a bit worried about what a portkey might do to my child at the stage, so if you don't care, Hal, could you give me a lift?" Lily asked, brandishing a slight pout.

"Don't do that," Hal chuckled, "It's on my way, anyway." He said as an energy field erupted from his ring surrounding himself and Lily. "Take good care of that ring and battery, Professor Dumbledore. Should someone with a dark heart take that, I'm not sure what it would take to stop it."

Dumbledore smiled after the two, before glancing down at the faintly glowing ring. An eerie feeling caused a frown to form on his aged face. He had the very unsettling feeling this ring would not rest on Lily Evan's finger again.

IOI

Present Day

"Albus …" a haunting voice sounded through the office where the Aged headmaster field out letters for the upcoming Hogwarts Prefects. Dumbledore head snapped up at the sound, and looked around, "Albus, old friend."

Dumbledore stood to his feet when he recognized the voice. "It has been too long. I have been expecting you, Hal." He said as a green cloaked old man appeared before him. On his chest was a glowing green lantern symbol and over his seemingly ancient eyes was a green mask.

"The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches... born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies... and the Dark Lord will mark him as equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not... and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives... the one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies..." the Hand of God, the Spectre, said pointing his hand to the hidden vault in the corner of the office. "The chosen one has come, Albus, it is time to supply him with the power the Dark Lord knows not."

"Too true, I had hoped to protect him from this," Dumbledore said opening the vault to bring out the large green lantern-like battery.

"You are too protecting, Albus," the Spectre said stepping toward the battery. "Lily's son is almost a man, and he has a right to his mother's legacy. He is to be a Green Lantern, Albus, it is the only way to give him the edge he needs to stop Voldemort."

"He hasn't prepared for this, he is still but a boy," Dumbledore argued.

"Lily wasn't much older when she received her power ring," Spectre argued, pulling the cold dull green ring from the vault to gaze on it. "The ring has chosen him already, I can sense it. It calls out to him, and he unconsciously prepares himself for the mantle as we speak now." The Specter placed a bony hand on Dumbledore's shoulder, "I know why you wish to save him so much, but you can not smother him. He is ready. I will teach him to use it and by the end of his sixth year, he shall be prepared to fight."

"So be it …" Dumbledore submitted, but was startled when the door opened.

"Albus, I wish to speak to you about the … oh I apologize for the interruption." Professor Minerva McGonagall blanched, at the green cloaked figure's back.

"Oh you're not interrupting anything, Minerva," Dumbledore grinned at the head of Gryffindor. "Allow me to introduce you to the replacement Defense against the Dark Arts professor. Meet Hal Jordan." He said as the Spectre turned around to pull back his cloak to reveal a green suit and tie, and a middle-aged, yet handsome face, with brown eyes and hair that grayed around the temples.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss …" Hal said, gallantly taking McGonagall's hand and kissing her knuckle.

"Mc-McGonagall … Professor Minerva McGonagall." Professor McGonagall said a faint blush crossing her cheeks.

"I believe we were just leaving to speak to Mr. Potter, were we not, Professor Jordan?" Dumbledore said, narrowing his eyes on the now younger man.

"Indeed," Hal flashed the older woman a winning grin, causing her to look a way scarlet. "Lets go, Albus," Hal smirked at the scowling Head Master.

"Show off," Dumbledore grumbled before the two apparate away.

IOI

The mattress bounced against the wall of his small bedroom on the second floor of 4 Privet Drive, but Harry Potter caught it and pushed it back before hitting it again with a melee of punches and kicks.

The young wizard was dressed in sweat pants, trainers and a sleeveless tee-shirt and his trademark round framed glasses. His brow furrowed as he sent another combination into the mattress with all the force he could muster. It had been a month since the death of Sirius Black but the anger was so much that it ate at his very soul. He remembered Sirius falling through the veil. He remembered his friends falling in the Department of Mystery to Death Eaters. He remembered Hermione being struck in the chest by an unknown spell. And he especially remembered how his friends had kept him the dark last summer. The cut was deep and along with the loss of his dear Godfather, was a slow healer.

Hermione, Ron, and even Ginny, Neville, and Luna have written him, showing support and care, and it eased the pain … a little. Harry hated this, the wait.

Voldemort was out there. He could feel him in his mind, through their connection. Voldemort felt pleased and deviously happy. Harry planned on fixing that as soon as he possibly could. Voldemort has struck him some way or another every year of his time at Hogwarts. This year will be different. "This year I strike you, Riddle," Harry growled punching the makeshift punching bag fiercely.

"My goodness, what did that bed ever do to you, Harry?"

Harry didn't look back. "Wondered when I'd hear from you, Old Man," Harry said spitefully. "Who's …" Harry's words caught in his throat as he saw the Spectre's haunting gaze staring at him.

"It will do you good to respect your elders, Harry Potter, if you wish to learn of your history." The Spectre said, bringing out the Green Lantern Battery.

"I have come, Harry, to give you what is rightfully yours," Dumbledore said, opening his hand to Harry. In it was the dull green ring with the same symbol as the one glowing on the Spectre's chest. "Your mother's legacy."

"And I have come to teach you to use it, as well as the Oath and rules that come with being a Green Lantern." The Spectre added, noticing the look of disbelief that crossed young Harry Potter's face.

"But my mom was a witch … not a superhero …" Harry stammered.

"Superhero?" the Spectre snorted, before looking down sadly, "the ideals of a Superhero are all well and good, but when one starts considering one's self as a 'all powerful' and 'foolproof' 'Superhero' then they have become nothing but a fool, and is doomed to fall and possibly to take all they hold dear with them."

"Your mother was a witch, but also a hero," Dumbledore explained, "I was told not to tell you until you were at the age to command the ring's power."

"Yet another thing you kept from me." Harry narrowed his eyes at the aging Professor.

"At your mother's request." Spectre stated, "She wanted you to have it, you are the Green Lantern of the Wizardry World. Or you will be once I have finished training you. It is after all, a power Voldemort knows not."

"I'm listening" Harry said crossing his arms, recognizing the quote from the prophecy he heard from Professor Dumbledore at the end of his fifth year.

Very good, as Green Lantern, you will be charged with being the guardian of peace and justice in your assigned world, in your case, the Wizardry world of Earth. You must not instigate a fight, and only use the powers you are granted to aid the innocent and oppressed. You will be a champion to good, and a force to reckon with to evil." Spectre informed, "While this power will aid you in your war against Voldemort, you cannot allow yourself to use it to seek vengeance. Use it to seek justice. Cedric Diggory Sirius Black, James Potter, and Lily Evans-Potter did not die for a monster to become liking to Tom Riddle. Do not let their memory be the cause of this. Use the power to seek justice, truth and honor to their falls. You do not have to take this power if you do not wish for it, but it will aid you far more then you can imagine. Do you accept the power and responsibility?"

Harry looked thoughtful for a moment and Dumbledore spoke up. "The life of a Green Lantern is a dangerous one … but your life will be one of danger one way or another anyway. What ever your decision will be I strongly suggest you keep this information from everyone, with the exception of your friends of course."

"We can return after you've had time to consider this," Spectre stated turning to leave.

"No," Harry said turning to face the men, "I already decided. If it'll help me defeat Lord Voldemort once and for all, then I'll accept it."

"As you wish, Harry," Dumbledore nodded, "We shall leave at once, if you wish to tell your friends I can arrange for you to meet them at the Order Headquarters."

"That won't be necessary," Harry said somewhat coldly, "They kept me in the dark last year, consider this simple pay back. Besides, it could be fun seeing if Hermione can figure it out."

I am uncertain of the wisdom in that decision, Harry," Spectre sighed, "But so be it, let us go. You will spend the rest of your summer at Hogwarts. Your training begins tonight."

IOI

The months passed quickly and Harry's training under the Spectre and Dumbledore was intense. He learned hand to hand combat as well as Auror level defense spells. But one of the most shocking things was Harry learning that the Spectre was in fact Hal Jordan the one time leader of the Green Lantern Corps as well as the threat to all life known Parallax. During his final days as Green Lantern an evil being destroyed his home city. The Guardians, the true commanders of the Green Lantern Corps, refused to give Hal permission to use his ring to restore the city and the people who were killed. They had said the Lanterns were not to be gods. Grief and disillusionment made Hal think differently. Hall attempted to take the power he needed forcefully, he destroyed the Green Lantern Corps, killed the Guardians, and drained the central power core taking the power he required to accomplish his goals and took the name: Parallax.

The last Green Lantern, Kyle Rayner with the help of the Justice League stopped Parallax, but ultimately Hal Jordan sacrificed his own life to save all life. He was given the power of the Spectre, the true Guardian of the galaxy and Hand of God as a reward for his selfless act as well as way of redeeming himself for his crimes against humanity.

Despite all Harry has learned though, he still refused to write his friends, and even ignored the many letters that they had sent. Now the day of the Hogwarts Express' arrival, he still hasn't opened his presents from Ron and Hermione.

"This is for you guys," Harry said, glancing down at the unwrapped presents then to the dull green ring on his finger.

"You've done well, Harry," Spectre said, approaching him in his Prof. Hal Jordan persona. "Going to open those anytime soon?"

"I'll wait till after I talk to them and give them a minimum explanation." Harry said adjusting his Hogwarts Robes, "they'll probably be surprised to see me."

"Or they'll knock your block off for worrying them." Dumbledore added, coming in to join the two in the empty classroom. "Getting some last minute training in before the year starts I see." Dumbledore smiled at the teenager.

"You could say that." Harry said shortly.

"I see …" Dumbledore said dejectedly.

"Albus!" McGonagall dashed in, "The Hogwarts Express!"

"What's the matter, Minerva?" Dumbledore turned to the professor.

"The Hogwarts Express is in danger, Albus," McGonagall gasped, "The mark has appeared in the sky above the track a few Kilometers from here!"

"Ron … Hermione!" Harry breathed worriedly.

"Minerva, go and summon the Aurors, now!" Dumbledore said worriedly. He waited for her to leave before turning to the two remaining. "The Aurors won't make it in time … Harry, are you ready apply what you have learned?"

Harry gulped, but nodded for Hal to hand him the battery. "Here goes nothing …" Harry said adjusting the ring on his finger. He made a fist and pointed it toward the battery and recited the oath by heart:

"In brightest day and blackest night… no evil shall escape my sight …" Harry recited as his ring began to glow brightly, covering his clothing, glasses, and even his scar in an emerald light, "Let those who worship evil's might … beware my power…Green Lantern's Light!"

IOI to be continued IOI

Disclaimer: Green Lantern, Spectre, the power rings, Hal Jordan, and Kyle Rayner are all properties of DC Comics. Harry Potter and all characters related are owned by JKR and Scholastic (I know I butchered the spelling …)

C. Cowboy: this is pretty much a plot bunny that wouldn't get out of my head, but I have this one worked out till the end unlike some of my other fics that are giving me heck right now … ANYWAY, expect more of this after I finish finals as well as my other fics (HPX3 and Everybody Knows)