Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Blasted Days by Tayler
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Blasted Days

Tayler

"No! They can't make you! I won't let them!"

"I have to Gin…

"No you don't!"

"They have asked for my help…"

"Let Harry go!"

"Harry has asked for my help Gin and after all he's done for me, for us, I cannot walk away."

"Yes you can! Please, please don't leave me."

"I'll never leave you. I'll always be here."

"You won't be if you're off fighting or dead…"

"My heart is always with you, no matter where I go. I love you Ginny. I'll see you soon. Promise."

As he walked down the dirt path, away from the safety of my arms, I knew that his promise was an empty one. He loved me, that wasn't a lie. But I knew it would be a long time before I saw him again, if ever.

We had argued many times during the few days before when he had first told me the news. I would scream and beg him not to go, that Harry had enough people and could manage without him. He would calmly tell me the same thing every time. The once boy wonder had done so much for us that it was time he returned the favour. This would set of yet another explosion of arguing and usually ended up with me crying for an hour or so till the tears finally dried up, till the next time anyways.

The space where he had stood in not a moment before was empty and I was alone. For the first time in my life I, Ginevra Malfoy, was alone. The feeling gripped me in its embrace like a serpent entangling its prey. Shivers ripped up and down my spine, causing me scan the front yard like a spooked animal. I can tell you right now, it was not a pleasant experience. When you're alone, really alone, the sense of vulnerability is so overwhelming that it is almost suffocating. No ones coming to protect you. No one to tell you everything will be all right. No one to hear you cry out in pain as you watch the last of your loved ones walk away to fight a pointless war. No one to hear the deafening crack of your heart breaking in two. Okay, maybe I'm being a little overdramatic but just wanted you to make sure you understand.

I fell to the ground, my legs giving out beneath me and sending me tumbling. My breath came in short gasps as I fought off tears. But it was no use. No matter how much I thought I had finally emptied out the river of crystal drops, more came. They dropped to the dirt, creating dark spots on the light brown earth.

"Draco," I sobbed, balling my fists and pounding against the ground. I sat up, my legs folded beneath me and I screamed at the sky, cursing any gods listening and ordering them to bring him back. But quickly my screams turned into pleads. I begged those very same gods who I had just insulted to bring back my husband, my soul mate, my love, unscathed.

They didn't reply, the sky above remaining the same clear blue that it had been all week. It did not brighten my mood. Beautiful day or not, he was gone and I didn't know when or if I was going to see him again. A thousand beautiful days would never clear the gloomy, storming weather that would cover my mind and my heart if Draco did not return. Nothing would make me happy again if I never saw his face, or touched his skin or felt his arms around me.

The darkness was already beginning to creep into my heart, clouding it over and making it ache with need. I took one last look down the path, making sure he was really gone before I walked (more like dragged my feet) back up to the house. Our house. Our home. The home that was now emptied except for one.

I closed the door behind me, the soft thud of it knocking against the doorframe bringing me no comfort. The sound seemed to resonate through the empty house, making sure that I knew he wasn't here. It made sure that I knew, I was alone.

Author's note: So, it's a short beginning but a beginning all the same. I hope you all like this and that Ginny doesn't seem to overly dramatic. Please R&R!!!! J J J