Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Blasted Days by Tayler
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Blasted Days

Tayler

One month, twenty-three days and ten hours later…

My moods had been changing drastically in those weeks (almost months) but mostly were akin to irritability. I'd never felt that way before and the fact that I had become annoyed with everything made me even more annoyed. It was so confusing, making things worse on top of all the other problems I was suffering from. I began to collect broken dishes in a bag, too lethargic to bother fixing them. I couldn't figure out why all my anger was taken out on the china wedding presents but I didn't bother to stop and try to calm myself either.

And to top it all off, I'd started to get sick, really sick. I felt ill the mornings and either yak what was left of the semi-digested food in my stomach from the night before or felt like I should've for the rest of the day.

Oh there were other things too; being tired all the time, hurting in places that shouldn't (especially because of my lack of exercise), visiting my friend the toilet more often than not for different reasons, etc. Basically, it was the worst almost two months I had ever lived through. Okay not true, the whole thing in the Chamber had been horrible too but this could almost be its rival. Draco being gone just made it all the worse.

Finally, I had to get out of the house or it would have driven me crazy. I went to the only place I could where I could vent, laugh and cry in the same house. The Burrow.

"Ginny?!"

"Yes mum, I'm home."

"Oh I thought you'd never come!"

"I was here a few weeks ago…"

"But it feels like forever to an old woman like me."

"You're certainly not o…"

"Yes, yes dear. Come in! Come in!"

Now, my mum (though I loved her completely) had always had a way of dismissing things she doesn't want to hear. She was in love with the idea ageing and if anyone tried to tell her that only derangement came with age…I felt sorry for them.

From the time I was a child, that she loved the idea of getting old after her children had grown up and flown from the nest. I don't think however, flying away to fight a war was what she had in mind.

"How have you been mum?" I asked, taking my seat at the table as she began preparing tea.

"Worried," she replied, her voice carrying a hint of exasperation as she bustled about the kitchen. "Your brother's have always had a knack for making my heart beat a little faster and they are horrid when it comes to keeping their mother informed. The last letter I received was over a week ago…"

"They said they were going on a raid near Kent. Even if they were on brooms it would be a long way. You know their not allowed to apparate-"

"I know, I know. I just wish there would be some news. Anything would helpful right now."

"Just be patient mum." I felt my throat tighten, the hypocrisy almost stifling. It was hard to tell my mother to be patient when for so long I had allowed my concern to swallow me while I was alone in my home.

There was a long pause. Only when the kettle whistle nosily did we both realize the silence that had fallen, too lost in our own thoughts. My mother actually gasped as she came back to the present and realized that she'd only half finished getting things together.

"How are you?" she asked hurriedly, trying to break the sudden tension with conversation.

"Well, I told you last time I was here that I'd been sick for a while, hadn't I?" Mum nodded. "Lately it's been getting worse and I can't control my temper…"

"You've never been able to dear," mum said amusedly as she set out cups and saucers as well as a plate of cookies. "You're almost as bad as Ron you know-"

"Yes but I can't at all now mum. At least before I had some control."

"Oh really?"

"Yes, really! I can't keep a level head and I'm getting aggravated over the smallest things! I got mad at a piece of carpet yesterday, just because it was curling slightly!"

I dropped my head into my hands, my elbows already resting on the table top. Wetness leaked onto my hands from my eyes, pooling in my palms before dripping down to my wrists. My body trembled as I tried to hold in my frustration. Yet another sudden mood swing that had befallen me…How lovely…

Mum just listened quietly smoothed my hair, a comforting gesture that had always calmed me as a child.

"It's just so h-hard," I sobbed, unable to keep it in any longer. "I need Draco to be here but he's so far away and…and always getting in danger and…and I can't protect him!"

"Ginny, I think I know what's causing this," she cooed, her words quickly grabbing my attention.

"What?" I asked, my head snapping up while my hands made quick work of wiping away any evidence of my weakness.

"I don't, no, I know this isn't about Draco," she said, a grin quickly spreading on her lips. "I mean, he certainly helped this along but its got nothing to do with his role in this war or how far away he is…"

"I don't understand." And I really didn't. The woman was speaking in codes, parcel tongue almost and it was impossible to understand. I watched as she bit her lip, trying to conceal her sudden excitement but barely holding onto her calm grin.

"Ginny, dear," she said, taking my hand. "I do believe, 'course you must see a doctor at St. Mungo's, but I am fairly positive…"

"Mum, spit it out!" I demanded impatiently. I had never heard her ramble this happily before and quite frankly, it was rather disturbing.

"I do believe you're pregnant," mum replied, nearly bursting with sudden joy.

Now, I have never been the type of person to faint easily but before I knew it, I had begun fall backwards. I was unconscious before I had hit the floor.

Author's note: Yay! Chapter five is fixed. I hope you're enjoying it! And certainly fell free to comment on it. I could always use a good critiquing…