Unofficial Portkey Archive

Tidbits by Anne U
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Tidbits

Anne U

Author's Note: My LiveJournal friend tarie did a song title drabble challenge on her journal on 5/11/2005. She put her MP3 player on random play and the title that came up for me was Crazy in Love by Beyonce' and Jay-Z. So this rather longish drabble (365 words) is my response to my specific challenge. Sort of Ron/Luna, Harry/Hermione, rated PG at worst. It's just a drabble, not even a ficlet. I'd better stop before the author's note becomes longer than the drabble…

Enlightened

No matter where you go, there she is, wearing that silly necklace of butterbeer caps, wand stuck behind her ear, a look of perpetual amazement in her silver-gray eyes. Though she's a Ravenclaw, she cheers for your team at Quidditch games -- except when Gryffindor plays Ravenclaw. Then she's strangely silent, as though she can't stand to root against your team, not even for her own -- as though she can't stand to root against you. She's odd, maybe even mental, but in a way that makes you feel good. Whenever she approaches you in the Great Hall, she has this look on her face like you're the greatest thing she's ever seen.

It's that look that gets you thinking. Is that how I've been looking at her? Is that how I look at Hermione, like she's the greatest thing I've ever seen? Why hasn't she noticed? Why can't she see how I look at her? And that's when it hits you like a ton of bricks. The look you give her is the look she saves for him. It's the same look Harry used to give Cho. That look people have when they're crazy in love. Luna looks that way at you, you look that way at Hermione, and she looks that way at Harry.

Gazing across the Gryffindor table, you watch them as they huddle together, talking quietly. You can't help noticing the light in Hermione's eyes when she looks at him. You pick at the remains of your bangers and mash, trying to figure what she sees in him that she doesn't see in you.

Luna sits down next to you, her eyes shining with something that shows only when you're around.

"You look sad, Ronald," she says, her hand just inches from yours. "Are you?"

"I -- I don't know." Then you look at her, really look at her, for the first time. "No, I'm not sad. Enlightened, but no, not sad."

Luna looks at you and puts her hand over yours. Hermione looks at Harry and puts her hand over his.

The look on Harry's face is priceless. You reckon you're not the only one who's been enlightened.

^*^*^*^