Unofficial Portkey Archive

Letters Between Us by FieryStar90
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Letters Between Us

FieryStar90

Part Two

Her initial reaction was disbelief. "Am I dreaming, Hedwig?" She murmured to the owl, then she froze. Obviously, if she was rambling to an owl, then of course the letter must be real, right?

"But perhaps I'm dreaming the owl as well," Hermione argued with herself.

She fingered the letter. It felt real enough, certainly, but she had once read as a child that you couldn't feel things in dreams. Though… she had also read that magic didn't exist, and of course, that was complete rubbish…. So what was right?

"Ow!" The paper cut she received from said letter proved that Hedwig and the letter were real.

"Darn it all!" She gasped, grabbing a band-aid hastily from her bathroom and hurrying out to her room; this letter was keeping her in suspense.

But when another sheet of paper quickly fluttered to the ground, Hermione picked it up and immediately read across the top in her own writing: "Dear Ron".

Oh, no! She had sent the letters to the wrong people! That meant Ron got Harry's… and Harry got Ron's!!!

Oh, what to do, what to do? Hermione paced around the room, Harry's letter on the desk, still unopened. What would Harry's letter bring? She had to know!

Then open it, silly girl! A voice snapped at her in her mind.

Quickly (yet quite cautiously), Hermione tore the wax and flopped down on her bed and began to read:

Dear Hermione,

I suppose that you have already realized that yes, you sent me a letter meant for Ron, and most likely a letter meant for me.

And I suppose you're also wondering why in the world have I decided to finally start writing back to you?

Don't worry, Hermione, I'll tell you.

Should I start from the beginning, perhaps? Yes, that would be best. I remember you telling me to "always, when explaining yourself, start in chronological order as to not confuse the person you are explaining yourself to."

(And you think I never listen.)

But I'm getting off topic.

I haven't been answering your letters is because I've been wondering if I'm meant to be alone.

Really, the only people who I have left-who mean the world to me-are you and Ron. So pushing you two away, if it would help save your life, was something I had to do.

And if I was a truly sensible person, such as yourself, I would still continue to push you away… but I'm not. And frankly, let's face it-without you two, it's a guarantee that I'd lose this fucking war.

But I realized, when I accidentally got Ron's letter, that if I pushed you and Ron away… I'd lose you.

I mean, really, it's so bloody obvious; you can't have one without the other. Boy pushes friends away, boy loses friends. How dense can I get?

It really sort of sunk in though, and the fact of the matter is: I believe that I need you as much as you need me.

And if I push you and Ron away, well… that's like another guarantee that you'd go rushing into Ron's arms. When I thought of this, I didn't like it. One bit.

This made me question why? (I think I'm turning into you, you know that?) Why didn't I like the thought of you and Ron together?

You know what the answer was?

I wanted you all to myself.

To be honest, this was a scary revelation. I mean, I've never been in love before-let alone with my best friend-it bloody scared the shit out of me!

Well… I hadn't exactly planned on telling you `I love you' just yet, but why not? It's true.

There are so many reasons why I love you. Your intelligence. Your beauty. Your laugh. Your resourcefulness. Your kindness. Your bravery. I mean, really, the list could go on and on.

I like to think that what I'm feeling for you is what my dad felt for my mum. In fact, I know it is.

…I'm getting a bit sappy, aren't I? I'm sure Ron would laugh if he saw this letter, as he has "the emotional range of a teaspoon".

There really is no other way around it, though, is there? The fact of the matter is that I love you, Hermione Granger, for everything you and for everything you will be.

Yours (I mean like literally here)

Harry

0 0 0

When she was done with the letter, Hermione was in tears.

0 0 0

A/N: I just had to re-write the letter. I wasn't happy with it, and a lot of you thought it was quite mushy, which it was. I'm hoping that I sound more like a boy here, but I'm not so sure (as I am a girl, of course, and have no idea what goes on in their minds.)

Feedback would, once again, be terrific!


-->