Unofficial Portkey Archive

Surprise, Surprise by Gaya Hriive
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Surprise, Surprise

Gaya Hriive

Author's Note: As per your requests, here is Chapter 3. I know that this fic is really corny, but thanks for reading anyways….continue on!

It had been an extraordinarily long day and all Harry wanted to do was to go home to Hermione and relax. After his short stay in the facilities of Azkaban where he had done routine prisoner checks, Harry had returned to Howgwarts to give Minerva the results. He walked briskly down the path from Howarts to Hogsmeade Village where he could apparate home. Sometimes the impenetrableness of Hogwarts was a hassle, what with not being able to apparate onto or off of the grounds. He finally reached the village and immediately apparated home. He noticed Ron's car was gone which meant that he and Annie must have gone out for the evening. Hopefully Hermione had made something for dinner, he was famished.

The front door was unlocked and Harry let himself in, setting down his briefcase and hanging his travel cloak on the hook beside the mirror. The house seemed strangely empty, but soft sighs from the living room indicated to him that Hermione must be home. He stood in the door way of the living room, and saw Hermione curled into a ball on the couch, sobbing softly. Harry went to her quickly, kneeling down beside the couch.

"Hey sweetie, what's the matter? Are you alright?" He stroked Hermione's hair gently in an attempt to get her to look at him. When she finally lifted her head, she was a sight indeed. Her face was flushed red and her eyes were obviously swollen from crying. A weight dropped in Harry's stomach as the possibilities of all that could have happened raced through his mind. He took her hand and helped her sit upright on the sofa and sat down close beside her, cradling her weak body in his arms.

"Shhh, baby, it's alright. What's happened…?" He held her shoulders tightly as she continued to sob quietly. Hermione's first attempt at words was raspy and barely above a whisper.

"I went to the doctor today Harry. I…woke up this morning very sick and got scared." She paused to blow her nose and the weight in Harry's stomach seemed to sink lower. "I saw Dr. Rose and he did an ultrasound on me." She sat up and looked into his eyes, but the look on her face surprised him. Instead of being twisted in agony, Hermione's face was covered, ear to ear, with a large smile. Harry was so confused, but he pressed her for more information.

"What did he say?" The weight dropping deeper and deeper as he waited for her answer. Surely it couldn't be that bad, she was smiling after all. But maybe the smile was only to try and convince him that whatever it was, was not as bad as he thought. Hermione sniffled once and planted Harry with a wet, sloppy kiss.

"Hermione, what…"

"I'm pregnant." She beamed at him; he'd never seen her smile so largely before.

"Wha…uh…huh...I…WHAT?" He stammered, trying to understand what his wife had just told him.

Hermione smiled even larger and kissed him again.

"We're having a baby Harry. A real baby. You and me, our very own child." She laughed a loud, her joy filling the empty room around them.

Harry was stunned. He hardly knew what to say to her. He could not remember a time in his life when he had ever been so happy, yet so unable to communicate it. All he could do was hug Hermione as tightly as his arms would allow. Then all at once, all the emotions he was feeling poured out of him in heaving sobs. He cried into her hair, her body held tightly against him. Harry spoke through his tears.

"I don't believe it. Just when I thought I couldn't possibly love you anymore…you tell me that you are giving me the greatest gift that any man could ever ask for, a child. But more than a child." He looked into Hermione's eyes, "A real living breathing manifestation of our love. Hermione, I love you so much. Thank you. Thank you…" She buried her head back into his chest and they cried together, unable to contain their overwhelming joy.


-->