Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and The Legends of the Dark Knight by Classic Cowboy
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and The Legends of the Dark Knight

Classic Cowboy

When the war ended, I think even Harry was finally feeling at peace. Too bad that never lasted. Not even a day. The first counter attack by Voldemort's followers the day after Harry returned from the battle. A whole wizardry village was completely decimated by Death Eaters, as an act of revenge. We were all hurt and unsettled by it but young Harry took it the hardest. No matter what any of us said, Harry refused to listen and blamed himself for it. He told me before he left that he said he would make them pay. He would make sure no one else suffered. He would stop them, no matter what the cost. A monster of the same caliber of Voldemort came back in his place. The Batman is exactly what the world needs to counter the Dark Wizards. I just hope the Batman doesn't destroy Harry in the process … -Remus Lupin

CHAPTER 2: The Faces of Harry Potter

I analyze everything, I know what you mean
I answer by questioning all that I need
And I want to, to surrender
I want you to see all the sides
All the faces inside of me

I see I'm not perfect, but that's all I see
Lost in a portrait, in a picture of me
This can't be everything I see
That my canvas is incomplete
Your color's everything to me
And my canvas will set me free

My outline is solid and made up of crime
And the things that you say just burn in my eyes
I want to, to surrender
I want you to find some comfort
In the spaces between the lines

I see I'm not perfect, but that's all I see
Lost in a portrait, in a picture of me
This can't be everything I see
That my canvas is incomplete
Your color's everything to me
And my canvas will set me free
This can't be everything I see
That my canvas is incomplete
Your color's everything to me

You're everything to me …


- "Lost in a Portrait" by Trapt

Bellatrix watched in a mix of awe and intimidation as her personally trained dark wizards were quickly picked apart by this … force of nature. The Batman took out the last of the dark wizards as Ron and Neville finally returned after guiding the professors and former students to a safe room. "Oh that figures, he takes away our fun." Neville complained as the Batman let his cape wrap around his body.

"It's not over yet …" Bellatrix spat, sounding confident. "I brought one more friend my Lord Voldemort left me."

Ron and Neville both shivered slightly as a cold breeze filled the Great Hall.

The dark shrouded demon hovered in through the side door, making a beeline for the two Aurors. "Expecto Patronum!" Ron called out, causing a bright light to erupt from his wand. A moment later there was a blinding light then … a high pitched yelping.

The Batman, Neville and Bellatrix all cocked an eyebrow in unison as a small transparent dog appeared and ran circles around the unaffected Dementor barking its tinny head off.

The Dementor put up with the annoyance for a moment longer before it slammed its fist down on the dog shattering it into light. "Ok, that was my best shot …" Ron gulped as he and Neville looked at each other. The Dementor continued on toward Ron and Neville when suddenly the Bat leapt between them and the demon, his cape still not leaving his shoulders and his face chiseled stone.

The Dementor approached Batman, its face in the Batman's face, neither showing any effect on the other.

The soul sucker finally turned and floated out the way it came leaving Neville, Ron, and Bellatrix in stunned silence. Bellatrix tried to back away from the Dark Knight, crawling along the floor as the caped crusader approached her, his face showing no emotions whatsoever.

"I surrender! I surrender! Don't hurt me!" Bellatrix cried, tears of fear streaming down her face, as the Batman lifted her from the ground. "P-Please …" she cried as the Batman's nose was just barely avoiding touching hers.

"Please, arrest me, send to Azkaban, but just make him go away!" She begged the Aurors, trying desperately to avoid the Bat's piercing white eyes. Bellatrix's blubbering was cut off by a hard head butt that echoed through the hall. The Batman let the woman drop to the ground in an unconscious pile.

"Wicked, Bats, how did you drive off that Dementor with out a Patronus?" Ron asked as he approached the Dark Knight and the unconscious Death Eater.

"They feed off happy memories," Batman stated, as Ron and Neville checked out Bellatrix. "My memories are marred with pain and sadness."

"No happy memories at all?" Neville asked with pity in his voice.

"I have some, but they were easily overpowered by other … events." Batman said, sliding into the shadows.

"Care to share?" Ron asked, glancing around to see that only he and Neville were still in the room. "I hate it when he does that …"

(-V-)

"Ok, we have everyone safe and secure, Professor McGonagall," Hermione said, her wand clinched in her hand as she stood before the Headmistress.

"You can relax, the threat has been neutralized," a growling voice spoke from behind the Vice Minister, causing her and the Headmistress to yelp.

They both turned and pointed their wand at the unaffected Dark Knight standing behind them. "Bloody shit in the ninth level of bloody hell, don't DO that!" Hermione cursed, jabbing her wand into the Batman's chest, right over his symbol. Then paled as she realized what she was doing and backed away fearfully.

"Bellatrix and her dark wizards have been dealt with, though you might want to send some Anti-Dementor Aurors into the Forbidden Forest before classes begin," Batman growled out, his face never leaving Hermione's direction.

"We'll …" McGonagall squeaked, before clearing her throat and trying again. "We'll do that …" She said unsurely.

"Are you two alright?" The Batman asked, his voice losing a slight bit of edge to it.

"Yes, thanks to you." Hermione stated truthfully. "You are as skilled as I've read."

The Bat's lip quirked slightly, "Read all of the urban legends and stories about me, as I expected you to do, Mrs. Weasley." Batman stated, with a nod. "Always a learner, some things never change."

"Do … I know you?" Hermione furrowed her brow as she studied the Batman, who gave her a look that put her in mind instantly of Albus Dumbledore.

"No, you don't know me. But you knew who I was." Batman said quizzically.

"I don't understand …" Hermione mused.

"Never knew Hermione Granger to pass up a mystery," The Batman said turning his back and walking toward a side hall.

Hermione watched him for a moment, before dashing after him, but found the Hallway deserted.

(-V-)

The attack brought an earlier end to the party then anyone expected. Prof. Nymphadora Tonks waved as the carriage carrying Ron and Hermione back to Hogsmeade where they could apparate home. "I missed them, good. Those disappointed stares from Hermione and death glares from Ron were starting to get to me." Harry said walking toward the pink haired former-Auror.

"Wotcher, Harry! You also missed your date, whom went with Ron," Tonks smirked at the taller man, "But there's no escape tomorrow."

"Was going to break the relationship end of next week anyway," Harry shrugged, "And what do you mean by no escape tomorrow?"

"You've ran long enough, Harry me Wookie," She said patting his shoulder. "Bat suit or no Bat suit, you're gonna go to the burrow, face you past, AND wish the first of Arthur and Molly Weasley's grandchildren a safe journey to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry."

"Dick, Bill and Fleur's boy?" Harry asked, blinking in surprised, "He's already old enough to go to Hogwarts?"

"Yup, and you ARE going to the party at the Burrow," Tonks said planting her fists on her hips. "Remus and I agree. We've watched you bury yourself down in that bloody cave of yours and hide behind that damned mask long enough, and I'm talking about the pointy-eared one. Would it be too much to ask for the old Harry Potter to come out of exile, for one day?"

"I'm not sure he still exists or not, Tonks …" Harry said glancing away, then looked back to see the pointed death glare. "Ok, fine, I'll go to the Burrow tomorrow and behave. Happy?"

"Thrilled," Tonks grinned and patted the younger man's cheek, then glanced at the departing horseless carriages "Patrolling tonight?" she asked glancing back and finding herself alone. "Stupid ninja training …"

(-V-)

Several hours later the armored Batmobile pulled through a tunnel into a large cavern deep below 12 Grimmauld Place. The black vehicle came to a stop on a turntable platform and the engines hummed to silence. The cockpit slowly opened and the Batman rose out of it and walked into his lair, his Bat-Cave.

The Cave itself was a multilayer complex. The bottom level was the vehicle bay where a set of Bat themed Motor-Bikes and the Batmobile rested. The second level was made up of a training center with exercise and acrobatics equipment, as well as a mini-dojo with several practice dummies. The third level was a 'trophy area' where souvenirs and no longer needed evidence was stored for future study, as well as a large library with countless dark arts, criminal psychology, and criminal justice books lined the multiple bookshelves. And the top level was where a suit case and large computer complex rested.

The Batman rode an elevator to the top floor and pulled his cowl back before unsnapping his cape and placing it in the suit case. "Three AM, wasn't expecting you back for another hour, Harry," A voice spoke from the stair well heading upward from the cave.

Harry gave a smirk as he pulled the enchanted uniform top over his shoulders and placed it inside the case. "Blame your wife, Remus," Harry said glancing at his long time friend and one of the few surviving mentors he had left. "She's making me go to the Burrow later in the morning."

"Find the Death Eater?" Remus asked leaning against the wall by the stairs.

"Nope, all we know right now is one of Riddle's men is in London, but that's it. Don't know where he or she is, or even who it is." Harry said as he pulled on a pair of trousers and a button up shirt. "Did come across four muggings and two robberies, been a quiet night."

"Are we talking about work still, instead of sleeping?" Tonks voice drifted down as she walked down the stairs into Harry's fortress. "I have you know I slaved for an hour to make that fine Italian dinner, and you let it go cold."

"You didn't miss much, son," Remus grinned, before getting slapped hard in the back of the head by his loving wife.

"Best hit the sheets, Potter," Tonks said, nodding toward the raven haired young man. "You'll need all the energy you can get to face up the whole Weasley family. They haven't heard from you in ten bloody years Harry, heaven forbid if an owl was sent heralding your arrival tomorrow a day before …" Tonks said, taking an innocent smile at the last part.

"Tell me you didn't …" Harry narrowed his eyes.

"Right, like I'd do something that evil to you!" Tonks held up her hands, "After all you've done for Remus and me, given us a roof over our heads and all."

Harry studied Tonks for a moment longer, before trudging up the stairs. Tonks and Remus followed him, as he led them through a secret passage in the manor that was 12 Grimmauld Place, hidden securely behind an ancient looking grandfather clock. "Don't go about it like you have to, Harry," Remus said as they walked out of the study. "You can't tell me you haven't missed them."

"That doesn't matter." Harry said icily as he stepped up the stairs toward the bedrooms.

"All that matters is the mission," Tonks and Remus chimed in unison, earning a death glare from Harry.

"Harry, the world isn't going to come to a screeching stop and every human being will die if you decided to have a little fun with a family that always thought of you as one of their own, you know?" Tonks asked planting her fists on her hips.

Harry just humphed and turned his back. "Well … You never know!" He snapped before slamming the master bedroom door.

"Was he serious or joking just then, Love?" Tonks asked, blinking toward her husband.

"How can you tell?" Remus shrugged.

(-V-)

The Burrow was an active place this afternoon, as a large group of redheads, a blond headed looker, and a bushy brown haired business-like woman gushed over an embarrassed dark red haired Richard Jason Weasley, first and only son of William "Bill" and Fleur Weasley.

"We still have one more guest on the way before you can open your gifts, Dick," Richard's grandmum Molly Weasley said, as she noticed the eleven year old eyeballing the table that was covered in gifts with his name literally written on them.

"Tell me the as- dear brother of ours isn't coming," Fred Weasley rolled his eyes.

"No, Percy had … more important matters to attend to," Molly seethed before forcing her anger at her estranged son back down replaced with the joy of another returning home. "Your other brother has finally decided to come home."

As if on cue a horn blew, and the Weasley family looked out the window and were stunned at an enchanted emerald green Jaguar came landed and pulled into the Weasley's driveway.

The whole kitchen was dead silence before Hermione finally squeaked out the name that was rushing through everyone present's mind. "Harry?"

The Weasley boys rushed out the door leaving Fleur, Molly, and Dick sitting there in awe and Hermione and Ron wondering exactly what to feel.

The Weasleys all surrounded the car as Harry got out, pushing his familiar glasses on his nose, and was dressed in a 'Cannons Ginny Weasley' Tee Shirt and jeans. "Hey, guys, long time no see." A moment later Harry was in a near dog pile level bear hug.

Harry couldn't make out who was saying what but he could get out a barrage of 'Where have you been' 'Are you doing ok' and 'What kept you away so long'.

"Easy, plenty of time to talk later, Mates, this is a party for my little nephew," Harry said with a smile as he lifted a wrapped package from the passenger side of his car. "That is if I'm still considered part of the family?" he asked a hint of hopefulness in his voice.

"Are you kidding?" Bill grinned, "Of course you're still an honorary Weasley! Sure you've been gone for ten years, but if we can forgive Hermione for kicking our baby brother to the curb, we can let you back in too!"

"And bloody nice ride there, Harry," Charlie added looking over Harry's convertible.

"You should see my black one," Harry winked, as the group walked into the house.

Harry thought the group bear hug was bad, but once Molly Weasley got a hold of him, he swore he heard his rips cracking as she squeezed the life out of him.

Next came Ginny who gave him a friendly hug before smiling, "It's been … too long, Harry." She said with a sad smile. "Haven't seen you in forever."

"I've seen you though," Harry gave a lopsided grin. "You really carried the Cannon's last season."

Ginny blushed, before nodding. "Thanks, but we've missed having you around, Harry."

"Yeah, look Gin, I know I …" He started to say but Ginny silenced him with a finger, "That's a talk for another day, Harry. Besides, that's the past, I've accepted some things are just not meant to be. So don't worry about it, k?"

Harry nodded, before once again meeting the face of Molly Weasley, only this time not so happy, and more so agitated. "And why pray tell did it take TEN years for you to show back up!"

"I … was traveling for around seven years, and finally came back …" Harry said uncomfortably as Ron, Ginny, and Hermione joined Molly's glaring accusation.

"It's been ten years, Harry, even though you only were out of England for seven years, it take you three years to make your way back?" Hermione snorted, glancing away.

"I had a lot of things to get sorted out and … well … you guys seemed to have gotten on without me 'round to … And um …. I'm sorry …" Harry ducked his head in defeat.

"We'll talk more about this later," Molly said, turning to glare at the eleven year old who was standing over the gifts. "Someone wants to open his presents." She stated, earning an innocent grin from the youth.

A few moments later Molly was handing him gifts that Dick's aunt and uncles gave him. Fred and George gave the boy a prank set from their joke set, saying that Hogwarts has gone too long without a Weasley Pranker. Charlie gave him a Dragon leather jacket enchanted to grow with him so that it would always fit. Dick's mum and dad gave him a album and instant magical photo camera so that he can keep 'Hogwarts memories'. Ginny and Hermione seemed to have gone in together, with Ginny getting him a Harry Potter edition Firebolt, which was the favorite type of youth - teen sized riding broom, and Hermione giving him a broom kit. Molly and Arthur gave the boy a Hogsmeade gift certificate to be used at the shops in the village near Hogwarts.

And finally came the final gift from Harry. Molly smirked at Harry when she handed the gift to the boy, recognizing the weight. And a moment later Dick shredded the wrappings, and read out loud: "Hogwarts: A History?"

"The latest volume. Very good reading there, mate, better then you expect." Harry nodded, taking a glance at the surprised Hermione. "My best friend got me into that book when I was around your age. I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as I had."

"Thanks, Uncle Harry," Dick beamed, before opening the book and diving into reading it.

"I trust you two want a better explanation for my absence and … last night?" Harry gave a half smile, dropping it at the scowls from his two childhood best friends.

"Lets set down, then you talk, and finally we decide whither or not to hex you into next year," Hermione said leading the boys to back patio and they sat down at the rounded table.

"OK, first off, one of the main reasons I haven't made my presence known is like I said, you guys have gotten on with your lives, you didn't need me popping back up and expecting to get things going again like they used to be." They nodded, not accepting the excuse, but knowing Harry could see that from his point of view, "Also I really was busy with several of the fund raising organizations I've started, I trust you've heard of the James and Lily Potter Foundation?" Ron and Hermione nodded, "I've got my hand in a lot of things to help the survivors of the war and also things to keep that from happening again …" He said vaguely.

"What about Malfoy?" Hermione shot him an accusatory glare. "You were all chummy with him last night, how come you hooked up with HIM and didn't even let your 'best friends' know you were back in town?"

"Odd I remember being suspicious of him in sixth year but no one believed me then, did they?" Harry stated sharply, but glanced away at the hurt looks on Ron and Hermione's faces. "Remember my little thing about keeping something like before from happening again? I'm keeping an eye on him for that." He then smirked at Ron and Hermione, "If Professor Dumbledore could put up with Draco's bastard father, I can put up with Lucius' bastard son. And if he's acting like he's going to pull something like his father, I'll contact the Aurors and have them come down on his head."

Hermione narrowed her eyes, but nodded as it made sense. "As long as you don't take the law into your own hands, Harry," she stated sitting back. "All we need is another vigilante like that Batman on the streets."

"Hey, that's not fair, Hermie," Ron shot, glancing a shocked look at his ex. "The Batman's done a lot of good! What do you think Harry?"

"Personally?" Harry glanced among his old friend. "I agree he has done a lot of good, but anyone who runs around town dressed like a bat has got to be deeply delusional."

Hermione and Ron blinked at him for several moments. "How the bloody hell can we use that? You agreed with both of us!" Ron said exasperatedly.

"Another Heron argument foiled by Harry J. Potter," Hermione gave a small smile. "You're right Ron, we might have lasted more then five years if we had Harry to cool us off."

"Doubt it," Harry gave a small smile, "You two fight like cats and dogs, I only slowed you down for a few hours before it started again. I'd only delay the inevitable. I did try to warn you two, but I am happy to see you both acting like friends again and not alternating between being love sick and trying to kill each other."

The former trio sat there and talked about old times for several hours, and eventually was joined by the whole Weasley family. Harry smile slowly faded as he saw the sun beginning to set. "I really have to go." Harry said in a cold voice as he stood to his feet.

"Must you, Harry dear?" Molly said sadly, as they all looked like they were willing him to sit back down.

"Sorry, I've got things I have to take care of." Harry said forcing a smile, "I'll be back sooner though. I promise." He said flashing his best 'Boy Who Lived' grin.

Molly pulled Harry into the hug which he reluctantly returned before he shook the hands of the Weasley family and allowed Fleur and Ginny to give him a quick kiss on the cheek.

"We'll look you up at 12 Grimmauld, Harry," Hermione stated matter-of-factly.

"Yup, we won't let you get away again, Potter," Ron winked, "Best be sure of that one."

"Of course," Harry really had to force his smile that time. "Until next time," Harry said as he walked toward his car, letting his face set into an emotionless expression once his back was turned.

(-V-)

Lupin and Tonks jumped form their position over Harry's computer in the Cave as Harry stepped down into the fortress. "That was a mistake," Harry stated walking over to the suit case and opened it to remove his suit.

"What visiting old friends?" Remus stated in a mix of disgust and awe.

"Letting them back into my life," Harry stated removing the bat suit. "I can't afford them getting too close again, Remus. They'll endanger the Mission."

"Oh yeah, heaven forbid the big bad Batman having an unmasked social life that isn't a camouflage!" Tonks said her cheeks turning pink with anger.

"Tonks is right, Harry," Remus said consoling as Harry suited up for his nightly work. "If you forget your humanity … what are you going to be fighting for?"

"Did you find out any information on the Death Eater in London?" The Batman asked as he pulled the cowl over his face, his white eyes narrowing when Remus and Tonks went quiet and grew pale in the face. "Who is it?"

"Uh … well … maybe you should just do a basic patrol tonight," Remus said with a forced smile, as he handed a printed out sheet of paper to Tonks behind their backs. "You've had a busy day after all …"

"Who is it?" Batman asked again, growing impatient.

"Maybe you should just report this information to the Aurors, Harry," Remus said before gasping as Batman jerked the sheet from Tonks' grasp. His white eyes widened in shock after reading the information, then narrowed in rage as the paper wadded and tore in his grasp.

One word was growled through his tight angry lips.

"Snape …"

TO BE CONTINUED …

NEXT CHAPTER: The Promise