Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Letter by Solomon Aegis
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Letter

Solomon Aegis

Disclaimer

The characters and universe created by J.K.Rowling are hers alone. As imitation is the sincerest form of flattery I hope this story can be taken in that way.

The Letter

The preparations for Bill and Fleur's wedding, which was to take place in two days time, had reached a fever pitch. Mrs Weasley, Ginny and Hermione were so involved that they were unaware of the tensions that had built up over the last week or so elsewhere in the camp.

Maybe Ginny had noticed, but although she understood Harry's reasons for shutting her out of his life, it still hurt, so she didn't concentrate her thoughts on him. She knew Harry was miserable but then he had a lot of things to be miserable about, she was unaware that his most recent cause was her slightly older brother.

Hermione hadn't noticed either, helping Mrs Weasley with the wedding arrangements and her burgeoning relationship with Ron had blinded her to all else. She was in a sense happy and for the moment Harry Potter was low down in her priorities.

So it came as a bit of a shock to her that on going up to her room that evening she found a note on her bed written in Harry's untidy scrawl. It was very short.

Dear Hermione

Please don't worry about me, I understand now Ron has explained. Thanks for your help in the past. See you sometime.

Love Harry.

Ron had headed to his room, which he had been sharing with Harry, at the same time as Hermione had come up, he had changed into his pyjamas and was about to get into his own bed when he glanced across at Harry's. The letter he had written him was scrunched up on the bed spread, he reached across and picked it up, he felt a little twinge of guilt but then his resolve hardened, his decision had been correct for all of them, of that there was no doubt. He made to throw the parchment into the bin when the door to his bedroom banged open and his vision of loveliness stood in its frame.

'Hi' he said with a smile 'to what do I owe the pleasure of your company tonight fair maiden.'

The reply he received was not what he was expecting.

'Cut the crap Ron, where's Harry? Does he tell you in your letter?'

'Uh…my letter?'

'Yes your one from Harry, you're holding it.'

'OH…' he said the penny dropping at last 'that's not from Harry, this is the one I wrote to Harry.'

Hermione couldn't get her head around what Ron had just said as it made absolutely no sense.

'Why on earth would you write a letter to Harry, you've been with him most of the time? Haven't you?'

'Ah…no…not really. We haven't been talking much, it's all been a little difficult and you see I needed to tell Harry how we really felt about this looking for Voldemort's …err… horroxes. You know now things have changed. Like us and our future. I thought I could explain it better in a letter, I mean you know how I find it hard to …err… like I can't tell anyone how to…Uh… Perhaps you should read what I wrote to him.'

Ron watched as Hermione uncrumpled the parchment and began to read, he knew she would agree with what he had done. It was their future that was important now, if things went badly in England there was nothing to stop them going abroad there were too many wizards out there for 'him' to control them all.

Ron watched as Hermione began to frown, it was OK, she loved him, she might care for Harry, but she loved him, and he loved her, and wanted her safe.

Ron watched as Hermione began to shake, she must have reached that bit about how their love was the most wonderful thing that had ever happened, and why he had made the decision he had.

Ron watched as Hermione sat down heavily on the end of Harry's bed, she seemed to be shaking her head, was there something he had forgotten to put in the letter,…no he had covered all the bases, he was sure he had left nothing out.

Ron watched as the first tear dropped on to the parchment held in her hands.

………………………

Hermione snatched the crumpled parchment from Ron's hand and opening it up began to read.

Dear Harry

Look mate you know how hard it is for me to explain things out right so I thought it would be best if I wrote it down instead. We, that is Herms (Hermione) and I know that since Dumbledore's death you have been a bit down in the dumps, and in order to cheer you up we said that we would be with you whatever. Well it's like this, now that Herms and I have you know 'found' each other and our relationship is going very well, it alters the picture a bit.

Hermione frowned at the words on the parchment she wasn't sure she was really reading them correctly.

You see there is no way I will allow Herms to put herself in any danger. I know that if you ask her she would follow you and possibly with what you have to do she could get herself killed and I can't permit her to do that. I don't want her to get filled with all sorts of noble ideas that finishing off Voldemort is the most important thing, when it is our love and future which is important.

There was something very wrong here. Hermione found that her hands had started to shake, she could feel the heat rising in her face, but she kept her head down and continued to read.

I don't wish to play you down but you couldn't even get the better of Snape last term, so your chances with Voldemort aren't good. Are they? And it stands to reason that anyone with you will go the same way.

I mean we do wish you luck and all that and no one would be more pleased than us if you were to, by some miracle, pull it off. However I have made the decision that you will have to go on without us. I would rather you didn't confuse Herms by talking to her before you go, now she is with me I have to make decisions for both of us, and I don't want these decisions open for discussion.

Hermione felt her legs lose their strength and she dropped down on to Harry's bed. She couldn't believe what she had been reading, she tried to deny that these words were actually written down in front of her and shook her head, but the words remained.

So there it is that is the way we really feel about it, probably better if you don't hang around for too long now. Will understand if you don't say goodbye.

Good luck Harry.

Your best mate Ron (and Herms as well)

Hermione felt the tears well up in her eyes, she couldn't prevent the first from splashing down on to the parchment.

She was hard put to describe the feelings coursing through her at that particular moment but she tried.

Anger, yes there was definitely anger.

Disbelief, oh yeah, she really had that one.

Betrayal, she wasn't sure, she had never been betrayed before, but it did seem to fit.

Sadness, that was the one. Sadness that Harry had actually read this drivel. Sadness that he had accepted it, and gone away. Sadness that Ron thought so little of their friendship that he could drive away the only other boy Hermione had ever had any feelings for. A sadness so deep and profound that she could find no way to express it other that the tears which were falling freely now.

Then there was a voice which invaded that well of sadness.

'Well what do you think, took me a while to write it I can tell you, but I am pretty sure I got it right in the end?'

Hermione shut her eyes, the words she heard were as bad as the ones she had just read, and the sadness suddenly wasn't enough, and the anger that had been sitting in the wings waiting, burst forth.

'HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO HARRY'

Ron's mouth dropped open.

'YOU KNEW HOW HE WAS FEELING, HOW WELL HE WAS FIGHTING ALL THAT SORROW, HOW HE KNEW THAT FOR ALL OUR FUTURES HE WOULD HAVE TO DESTROY VOLDEMORT ON HIS OWN. THAT THE ONLY CRUMB OF COMFORT THAT HE HAD WAS THAT THE THREE OF US WOULD BE TOGETHER. AND YOU EVEN TOOK THAT AWAY FROM HIM.'

'But Herms I was only thinking of you and your happiness.'

Hermione could feel her head beginning to spin, her anger reached such a level that the air around her began to spark and crackle.

'HOW DARE YOU DECIDE TO MAKE DECISIONS FOR ME. YOU DO NOT OWN ME RONALD WEASLEY. NO ONE OWNS ME, AND DON'T YOU EVER, EVER CALL ME HERMS AGAIN. MY NAME IS HERMIONE.'

With a detonation that blew the windows out of Ron's room, and the door off its hinges, Hermione vanished.

Mr and Mrs Weasley rushed up the stairs and appeared in the doorway seconds after the detonation. They found Ron crawling out from where he had been blown under his upturned bed. He was ashen faced and had a nose bleed.

'What in Merlin's name has been going on here?' said Mr Weasley 'we could hear Hermione shouting from downstairs, then this explosion, Ron explain.'

Ron pointed down, with a shaking hand, to a singed piece of parchment which had settled on the floor.

As Mr Weasley bent to pick it up Ron his voice shaking in fear and realisation of what he had done, said. 'Oh Mum, Dad, I think I have just made the biggest mistake of my life. What am I going to do?'

Ron's parents read the letter and Ron could see the looks of incredularity spread across their faces. They looked up at their youngest son and Ron was left in no doubt that he had really made a mess of this one.

…………………………….

There was a stream which ran through the field next to the Burrow and that was where Hermione found herself standing. She hadn't set a destination in her mind when she had apparated, she had just let go. As she calmed down and her eyes became used to the dark she remembered that this was the last place that she and Harry had been alone together.

It was when, yesterday… no two days ago now; they had been talking about old times at school, the times when the adventures were fun, the times when the thoughts of facing Voldemort were a long way off.

Now Harry was gone to who knows where, driven away by that great long prat who thought he owned her. Hermione sat on the log seat close to the bank, buried her face in her hands and cried.

Her sobs were so loud as to drown out the footsteps of the dark shadow that approached her from behind. The shadow grew as it extended its arms and the first that Hermione was aware of it was as a warm woollen cloak was being draped over her shoulders.

'Hi'

'Thanks Ginny'

'Oh Hermione I've just heard what my bloody brother has done. I couldn't believe he could be so stupid. Poor Harry, we have to do something, he won't stand a chance on his own.'

Hermione said nothing and Ginny continued, 'You know I really miss being with him, he was so lonely at the end of last term; it broke my heart to see him like that. I have had a crush on him since, well since the first time I saw him and what with you and Ron and every thing else I just let my emotions free. It was wonderful for me and while it lasted I think he enjoyed it too.'

Hermione's bushy haired head turned towards the younger girl, 'He did Ginny, he was the happiest I have ever seen him, and he told me so.'

'He told you?'

'Yes'

'But why would he tell you?'

'Oh Ginny… Why?... Because we have always told each other these things, almost from the beginning. I have never been able to keep a secret from Harry and he, despite trying, has never been able to keep a secret from me. It's just the way it's been between us.'

Ginny suddenly saw something that had never occurred to her before. She had assumed like everyone else, including probably Harry and Hermione, that they were just the closest of friends, but now she could see something more. Were they in love? No… not in love. What they had was more than a teenage infatuation. They were two sides of the same coin, they depended on each other for the magic to work between them. She knew that separated neither of them would survive very long, how painful and disastrous had been those times at school when their friendship had slipped just a little.

But sometimes even with the two of them it hadn't been enough, there had always been three and probably though at this time she hated to consider it, they were going to need Ron as well. This awful situation was going to take some fixing; she decided to test the water.

'Err… what about Ron?'

Ginny could feel Hermione stiffen and a coldness came into her voice. 'If I ever see your brother again it will be too soon, he and I are finished.'

'Hermione please don't be cross with me but I can see where he is coming from.'

'WHAT?'

'Ron's scared, we all are, but Ron despite being in Gryffindor, has never been the bravest. He has seen Bill injured, Dumbledore killed, that really got to him, and Snape run to the other side beating Harry in the process. Then he… well hooked up with you and it gave him something to hang onto, and he doesn't want to lose it.'

Hermione surprised herself by remaining calm. 'And that gives him the excuse to treat Harry and me in that despicable way?'

'No Hermione not an excuse, just a reason.'

'I don't know Ginny, I don't know if I will ever be able to forgive him, and if anything happens to Harry because of what he has done there won't be a hole big enough for him to hide in he'll have both me and Voldemort after him, and he better pray that Voldemort is the one who finds him.'

'Well' Ginny thought 'if she can joke maybe all it not lost', she looked at Hermione and the expression on her face, she was joking, wasn't she?

'The most important thing now is to find Harry' Hermione said 'There aren't that many places he would run to, I will have to visit them all. I'll get him eventually.'

'Where are you going to start?'

'Not sure yet, I need to think about it.' Hermione placed a hand on Ginny's shoulder and drew her into a hug, 'Thanks Ginny, you've been a great help as usual. I'll get in touch when I find Harry. I'll leave Ron to you.'

'Don't worry Hermione I'll sort out the idiot, you find the hero. You three have been through too much to let it all end this way. Good luck.' With that Ginny turned briskly so that Hermione wouldn't see the tears which had suddenly sprung into her eyes and headed back to the house.

Hermione sat quietly for a while, she knew that Ginny would stop anyone disturbing her, and tried to think where Harry would have gone. In her mind she pictured all the places she and Harry had visited. All those which held happy memories had been tainted in some way and she knew Harry would avoid them. There were only two places which had never changed as far as Harry was concerned, one because he had never been there, and one because he had always hated it. So what was it to be, Godrics Hollow or Privet Drive?

With a CRACK Hermione apparated away from the Burrow. From his bedroom window, or what was left of it, Ron watched as her shadowy figure vanished. He heard someone behind him and turned hoping it was Hermione, but it was his sister.

'Ron I think you and I need a very long talk.'

Ron hung his head, he had a feeling that this was going to be very painful.

'Yes Ginny.'

…………………………………….

The house was in darkness the whole area around it was quiet. The witch walked up to the front door drew her wand and muttered 'Alohomora' the lock gave a click and the door swung open. She stepped inside careful not to make a sound, a quick check confirmed that the ground floor was unoccupied, so she turned back into the hall and headed for the stairs. She hoped none of them would squeak and give away her presence, reaching the landing she studied each of the doors in turn, picking the one she knew concealed him she walked towards it. Placing her hand on the door knob she slowly turned it and opened the door.

The room wasn't very large and had very little furniture, a bed, a desk and a wardrobe.

Lying on the bed was a very familiar figure he was still fully clothed, with his wand held loosely in his hand, his mop of black untidy hair was a mess. He was deeply asleep; the sleep of exhaustion, the witch moved to the side of the bed and gently sat herself down on it, she stared at those features so etched in her mind. Even in sleep his brow was furrowed with worry, a brow that held a scar in the shape of a bolt of lightning. The figure on the bed stirred then started up as he realised there was someone in the room with him.

'It's OK it's only me' was the whispered reassurance.

'Hermione how…why…what…are you doing here?'

'I am here because you need me and I am here because this is where I want to be.'

'But the letter?'

'The letter was rubbish Harry, written by someone, who if I am not mistaken knows now that it was a huge error, by someone who is suffering the biggest bat bogey hex of all time, if I know his sister.'

'But how did you find me. I thought this would be the last place anyone would look.'

She laughed 'You're right this would be the last place a wizard would look, remember they have no logic, but I am me and you will not hide from me again Harry Potter.'

In this room a young witch and a wizard were reunited, although really they had never been apart for the binds which held them together were much stronger that even they knew. They held each other through the night, she happy that she had found him and him happy that he wasn't going to have to do this on his own after all.

Hermione eventually drifted off to sleep her head resting on Harry's shoulder, Harry felt her relax against him. He knew that she wasn't his, from what she had said she wasn't anyone's. He didn't care right now, she was Hermione, and if that is all she remained then that was fine by him, all he knew was, was that he needed her and that she was here.

Sleep had now claimed them both and they would need all the rest they could get. They had Horcruxes to find and an evil wizard to kill, but they would not do it alone. It was a job that needed friends and allies for it to be successful, and they would find both before their journey was done.

In the next room Petunia Dursley smiled, it was amazing how acute her hearing had become these days. She was glad, from what she had overheard she knew that Harry had found some happiness, it was about time. Perhaps she would get up early and make them some breakfast, yes, they would have to leave before Vernon woke. She smiled to herself again, turned over and went back to sleep.