Unofficial Portkey Archive

Saving James by Luminous Star
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Saving James

Luminous Star

Chapter 1: Oatmeal Faces and Tempers

A/N: Ok, I'm only going to say this once.

Obviously people I'm not JK Rowling because if I were, I'd be sitting somewhere in the UK writing the seventh installment of the Harry Potter series. Therefore I own nothing related to Harry Potter… I just enjoy playing around with it.

Of course, if you don't recognize something then, hey it's from my imagination!

Lily arrived in the great hall for breakfast the next day and immediately propped her transfiguration textbook open. If she didn't read up on how to transfigure a rock into a frog by the time first period started, she'd be screwed. As usual, Sirius lead Remus and Peter down the table and sat a few chairs away from Lily. Something that wouldn't bother her except for the fact that Sirius alone was about as loud as a howler and had the energy of a crate of Dr Filibuster's No Heat Wet Start Fireworks. And that wasn't the only reason, wherever Sirius was, James wouldn't be too far behind and Lily just didn't feel like dealing with James being, well…James today. She looked up to take a bite of her oatmeal just as James appeared walking toward his friends.

Oh god! Lily moaned internally. It's ok, it's ok, just ignore him… don't let him get to you. she thought as if talking herself through a very hard task.

But, surprisingly enough, James walked straight past her without saying a word. There was something strange about him today. He was a bit slouched, very unlike his usual composure. There was something else that was off as well. It took Lily a moment ot realize what it was. Then, finally it hit her. His eyes. They carried absolutely no tracke of their usual sparkle that, as much as Lily hated to admit it, always seemed to captivate her.

Finally! She thought to herself. James has an off day! This proves once and for all that he's actually human. Lily had waited so long for this moment. Ever since first year when James had pushed her into the lake. Nobody in the world could lead a perfect life and here was the proof right before her. But even so, the feeling running through Lily's body was not happiness.

She couldn't believe it! She had waited all this time and she couldn't feel shallowly happy even after all of the things James had done to her.

Oh bloody hell! Why does he always have to ruin everything! she thought. Suddenly another thought swam across her mind. Could it be that I'm actually starting to care for the miserable little egotistical toe rag?…

Hell, no! she thought answering herself finally and throwing the atrocious idea out of her head.

James reached his friends and sat down as usual next to Sirius.

"Jamsie boy!" bellowed Sirius giving James a pat on the shoulder.

" 'lo Padfoot." James muttered. Sirius obviously knew what, or more precisely who had James in such a state. Seeing that he would get nowhere trying to skirt around the matter by pretending there was nothing wrong, Sirius got right to the point and said in a stiff tone,

"So… you talked to her I take it?"

"Yeah…" James replied.

"And…" Sirius replied gesturing with his hands for James to procede.

"And what Padfoot? What do you want me to say? It's true! It's all true. You knew it would be, so did I…. I was just better off being in denial about it." James spat obviously irritate but as quietly as he could.

"Gee. I'm sorry mate…" Sirius trailed off pulling a spare bowl over and placing it in front of James.

"But seriously Prongs," Sirius began. He picked up a nearby tray and ladled oatmeal into James' bowl. "You're really better off without Mary anyway,"

Sirius added some milk and sugar to the bowl and stirred it around. Before speaking once more.

"I mean sure she was pretty and all… but aside from that-" he trailed off as he brought the strawberry jam over and placed a blob in the middle of the oatmeal. " she wasn't all that great."

Sirius paused as he grabbed two blueberries from another plate and carefully arranged them above the jam blob perfectly adjacent, making them look like eyes.

"And, she was really needy, you said so yourself, I mean…" Sirius pulled another bowl toward them, this time of raspberries and began arranging a smile inside the oatmeal bowl. " she wasn't happy unless you were snogging her twenty times a day! You need someone who'll challenge you… someone that makes you smile." said Sirius as he finished making the oatmeal face.

"Speaking of smiles James Potter… you better smile if your breakfast is smiling back." Sirius said bringing James' attention down to the oatmeal bowl complete with blueberry eyes, a strawberry flavored nose, and a raspberry smile in front of him.

"Thanks, Sirius but I'm not all that hungry." James replied arily.

Sirius heaved a sigh and picked up a spoon. He scooped one of the oatmeal man's eyes into it and held it by James' mouth.

"Don't make me spoon feed you Potter! You are going to eat a healthy breakfast and you will not wallow over that little slut. Do you understand mister?" Sirius said ruffled.

"You sound like my mum Sirius."

"Well someone's gotta take care of her ikle Jamsie-kins at Hogwarts."

"Shut up Sirius," James replied feeling his temper rise. He really didn't feel like doing this right now.

"I will if you eat your damn breakfast." Sirius replied stubbornly.

"No,"

"Yes."

"Oh come on Padfoot! Just leave me the fuck alone! I want to wallow!"

"NO, you can't! I forbid you! She's not-"

"I know! I Know! She's not worth it!" James said finally snapping and cutting Sirius off. "How many fucking times am I gonna have to tell you that I doesn't matter?! That's not the point! She fucking cheated on me Sirius! She slept with Rockwood! How do you expect me to act?! Just drop it alright?!"

James let out a frustrated sigh and finally forced himself to look over at his best friend.

Sirius had an expression on his face that resembled a hurt puppy.

Oh shit! What kind of a friend am I ? James thought. He could never remember yelling at Sirius like he just had.

"Look, Padfoot. I'm sorry. I did-I didn't mean… I didn't want to-" James sputtered before saying simply "look, I'm sorry. Just…leave me alone for a bit…I'm going to class. See you later alright?" and with that, James brushed out of the Great Hall seemingly unnoticed.

~*~*~*~*

Lily watched as James passed by her seat at the table and sneaked a quick look down to where Sirius was sitting obviously still in shock. She had overheard the whole conversation.

Quickly, Lily grabbed a few pieces of jammed and buttered toast from a nearby stack along with a towel and set off out of the great hall.