Unofficial Portkey Archive

That Summer by Luminous Star
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

That Summer

Luminous Star

A/N: James, I am so sorry for what I'm about to put you through but it's for the best, trust me. ;-)

Cookies to anyone who catches the "Sixteen Candles" quote in this chapter!

Chapter 8: A Case of the Molly Ringwald Blues:

On the morning of July 19th, James awoke bright and early, gingerly getting out of bed and going to look out the window. The weather was perfect-- not a cloud in the sky, and a slight breeze was blowing. James smiled to himself. Today was his seventeenth birthday. Today, he was finally of age in the wizarding world and suddenly, James felt as if some previously untresspassable gates of the world had finally opened up, inviting him in to explore.

James had always loved his birthdays, ever since he was younger, and each birthday, his morning would start off the same. His father would greet him with a tousle on the head and his mother would cook him his favorite breakfast. Although as he got older James began complaining about the fuss his parents made over him on this particular day, secretly, he enjoyed every minute of it.

Excited to discover what awaited him on this birthday, James dressed quickly and headed down the hall where he immediately bumped into his father.

"Hi dad!" James said brightly.

"Oh, hi son! Bye son!" David Potter said in a rushed tone.

"What? But where are you going?" James asked following his dad into the living room.

"No time to chat, James, there's a problem down at the ministry-- no, no, nothing Voldemort related," David added noting the concern in his son's face. "but I do need to get down there quick. Now, where did your mother put that floo powder?"

James watched his father rummage around the nooks and crannies around the fireplace.

"Um, dad? Wouldn't it be faster to, you know, apparate?"

"Good thinking, son!" David Potter said, pulling out his wand.

"Dad, wait!" James called out just before he disappeared.

"What is it, James?"

"It's my...don't you have anything to say to me?" James asked.

"Oh, right. Be good for your mother, will you? Alright, I've really got to go, James." and with a loud CRACK! David Potter was gone.

James frowned, staring at the spot his dad had been standing in seconds before. His dad really couldn't have forgotten his birthday…could he?

No, James thought, shoving the thought out of his head, well, I guess there's always breakfast with mum to look forward to.

James walked into the kitchen inhaling deeply and expecting the odor of fluffy pancakes and scrambled eggs to fill his nostrils, but surprisingly, nothing came. He looked around at the spotless kitchen. Not one of his favorite breakfast foods were on the table and what's more, his mum was no where in sight.

"Mum!" James called out the back door, thinking maybe she had gone to water the flowers before starting up breakfast.

"Over here, darling!"

James followed his mother's voice and found her over by the front door. Moira Potter was dressed in her all too familiar mint green robes with the crossed wand and bone emblem that was custom to the uniform of a Healer.

"Y-you're going to work?" James asked, surprised.

"Yeah, some stupid bloke drank an ounce of Bubotuber puss on a bet and did some major damage to his intestines. The other Healers think it must have been laced with something else because they're having an awful time getting the internal wounds to heal so I've got to go down to St. Mungo's and help get him stabilized." Moira said as she fastened a black cloak over her work robes.

"But what about breakfast?" James asked.

"Breakfast?" Moira chuckled. "Oh, dear, you're sixteen, I'm sure you're capable of making your own breakfast.

"Alright, I'm off-- I've no idea when I'll be back so if your father happens to beat me home, let him know what's going on, will you, James?"

"You don't know when you'll be back? But what am I supposed to do for the rest of the day?" James asked, starting to panic slightly.

"Oh, I forgot to tell you, didn't I? Lily came by earlier and she said she's got something planned out for you today."

"Lily's got something planned?" James asked disbelievingly.

"Yes, so hurry up and get ready, she said she'd bee here to pick you up around 9 or so," Moira said, steering James toward the staircase. "Alright, I've really got to go, love, see you when I get back!"

She kissed her son swiftly atop the head before disappearing with a loud CRACK! just as her husband had done moments before.

James stumbled back a few steps, resting his back on the stair banister.

"I can't believe this," he laughed bitterly. "They fucking forgot my birthday."

Half an hour later, James was sitting on the floor of his kitchen, facing the open refrigerator and drowning his sorrows in his fifth cup of orange juice.

And this was exactly how Lily found him when she came to pick him up.

"Good morning!" came Lily's cheery voice from the kitchen entrance.

James swallowed the orange juice in his mouth. "How'd you get in?"

"Your mum told me she'd charm the door to let me in just in case you overslept, leaving me with the grueling task of having to drag your bum out of bed this morning."

Lily picked up on James' off behavior immediately.

"Are you alright?" she asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine, why?"

"Dunno, you just seem...well, never mind. Are you set to go? I've got the whole day planned."

"Really? Where are we going?"

"Oh, you'll see." Lily responded as they headed out the front door.

Lily lead the way, walking across the street, and stopped in front of a white house.

"This is where you're taking me?" James asked, one eyebrow raised in question.

"Of course not," Lily said ringing the doorbell. "We're just here to pick up the kids."

"Kids?!"

The door opened and a blonde woman with a kind smile came into view.

"Oh good, Lily, you're just in time, and I see you've brought a friend."

"Yes, Mrs. Barrett, this is James. James moved in across the street a few weeks ago." Lily explained.

"Wonderful! Well, it's nice to meet you, James." Mrs. Barrett replied. "Well, I expect you'll want to get going, let me just go call the children-- Katherine! Theodore!"

Mrs. Barrett called her children's names as she walked up the stairs.

"Why didn't you tell me we were babysitting?" James asked.

"I told your mum to pass the message along-- did she not tell you? Huh, that's funny, I told her to tell you what we'd be doing today, she must have forgotten." Lily said, shrugging her shoulders.

"Yeah, she seems to have forgotten a few key things today." James said bitterly.

"James, are you sure there's nothing bothering you?" Lily asked again. "Nothing you want to tell me at all?"

"No, I'm fine Lily, honest." James said, forcing a smile.

James didn't know why he was lying to her. He could have just told her that it was his birthday, that everyone had forgotten, but for some reason, James didn't. Part of him, the part that was being slightly selfish, was telling him to keep quiet and see just how long it would take his parents to remember they had forgotten today was his birthday.

There were pounding footsteps on the stairs and James could just make out two small figures bounding towards them, who at the last minute, threw themselves upon Lily.

"Lily! Lily! We missed you!" A small girl with golden pigtails said.

"Yeah, how come you don't come play with us anymore?" asked a sandy haired, slightly taller boy.

"Aw," Lily hugged them back. "I missed you both too-- are you guys ready to go?"

They both nodded enthusiastically.

"Mummy says you're taking us to the beach-- can we build a sand castle, Lily? I've never built a sand castle before." the little boy said.

"Sure kid," Lily said, laughing. "But first, we've got to get there."

James watched the interaction between Lily and the children until he suddenly got the feeling someone was watching him. He looked down and found himself locking eyes with a pair of denim blue ones belonging to the small girl with pigtails.

The small girl blushed furiously and immediately looked away, giggling and realizing she had been caught staring. It was at this moment that the young boy also took notice of James' presence.

"Lily, who's that?" the boy asked, pointing at James.

"I'm a friend of Lily's-- my name's James." James said, introducing himself to the children.

The boy looked at him as if deciding weather he liked him or not before finally responding.

"I'm Theodore. Theodore Rodger Johnson Barrett the third-- but you can call me Theo, no one calls me Theodore 'cept my mum and sometimes Lily when I get in trouble."

James smiled at Theo before turning to the blonde haired girl who was currently plastered at Lily's side.

"And who might this lovely young lady be?" James asked, kneeling down so he was more at the young girl's height.

"I'm Katie."

"Well, it's very nice to meet you, Katie." James replied, giving her the infamous James Potter grin.

Katie giggled and Lily rolled her eyes.

"Hey, ease up on the charm attempt, Potter, she's eight, not eighteen." Lily said.

"As disturbed as I am that you're implying I'm some sort of pedophile, Lily, I can't help but be excited by the fact that you've finally admitted I've got charm." James replied cheekily as he stood back up to his full height.

"Ah, James, don't boost your ego to an even larger size than it already is or you'll run the risk of having to find a planet much larger than this one in order to make room for it."

"Oh, Miss Evans, why must you stab my already wounded heart with your repeated rejection?" James cried, holding one hand to his chest as if in agony.

"Drama Queen." Lily muttered, rolling her eyes.

"Alright. So here's everything you should need," Mrs. Barrett said, appearing once more. "sun block, toys, towels, food, you know."

"Thank you, Mrs. Barrett. Well, we're off then, and I'll be sure to have the children back by seven."

"That's fine, Lily dear. Have fun, everyone!" Mrs. Barrett called as they walked away down the street.

"So we're going to the beach?" James asked.

"That's right." Lily said.

"how are we getting there?"

"The way everyone gets anywhere in this town-- we're taking the trolley."

"You can take the trolley to the beach?"

"You can take the trolley almost everywhere." Theo said, jumping into the conversation.

"The yellow line will take you downtown and the red one will take you to the east end," Theo explained. "The orange line takes you to the west end and the green line, that's the one we're taking, goes to the beach."

"And when did you become so knowledgably on the local trolley lines?"

Theo shrugged. "Our old babysitter, Sam, she used to take the trolley all the time. One time she left the trolley schedule booklet over our house and I read up on it."

"Smart kid." James commented.

"I know I am." Theo replied.

"Mum calls him exceptionally bright for his age-- but sometimes I just call him annoying." Katie said.

"Hey!" Theo called, as he started chasing Katie around the sidewalk for having poked fun at him.

Katie shrieked and quickly ran off, trying to get away.

"Come back here!" Theo called.

Realizing her brother was gaining on her quickly, Katie ducked behind James, effectively using him as a human shield.

"Save me, James! Don't let Theo get me!" Katie squealed, peering around James' left leg to see where Theo was.
Theo spotted Katie and dashed in James' direction but just as he ran past Lily, Lily caught him gently by the arm and pulled him back.

"Nuh-uh! No running around like that near the street, it's dangerous. Now, hold my hand so we can cross to the trolley stop." Lily said.

Theo took Lily's hand at once. "Katie, hold on to James' hand when you cross the street, please!" Lily called out.

"I think it's safe for you to come out now." James said to Katie who was still hiding behind him.

James was rather tall to begin with and Katie looked to be small for her age, meaning she barely reached his waist in height.

"I dunno," Katie replied warily, looking across the street to where her brother and Lily were standing. "Theo's pretty tricky."

"Yeah, but if we don't cross the street we'll miss the trolley and we won't be able to go to the beach-- you wouldn't want that would you?"

"Okay, fine! But if Theo starts chasing me again--"

"If Theo starts chasing you again, I'll protect you." James interjected. "I think I could take him, what do you think?"

James winked at Katie who laughed but finally consented to hold his hand and cross the street.

Twenty minutes later the four were sitting together on the trolley on their way to the beach.

"Are we there yet?" James asked.

"For the thousandth time, no, James!" Lily sighed, looking up from her book to answer him.

"Oh," James replied. "When are we going to get there?"

"Soon!" Lily snapped. "Honestly, you're worse than Katie and Theo who are half your age, mind you. Plus, I'm starting to get the feeling that you're only asking to annoy me."

James' eyes twinkled mischievously behind his glasses as he grinned. "Now what in the world would give you that idea?"

Lily slouched in her seat and averted her eyes upward.

"Why me?" She said, as if talking to some superior being.

Katie looked at the two teens observantly.

"Are you two boyfriend and girlfriend?" she asked.

"No!" Lily said quickly, just as James said "Yes."

"James!" Lily elbowed him in the side.

"Oof! I mean, no, we're not...not yet anyway."

"No, not ever." Lily corrected, going back to her book.

"One day, Lily Evans I'll get you to fall for me, and then we'll go out and you'll finally realize just what you've been missing this whole time." James replied surely.

"You know," Lily said, marking her place and closing her book. "I hear taking permanent residence in dreamland can cause severe brain damage." Lily said knowingly. "So purely for the sake of your sanity and intelligence I ask you, are you ever going to give up, James?"

The grin that was plastered on James' face slowly fell.

"I'll never give up on you, Lily." he said solemnly.

Lily's eyes locked with his and she wanted nothing more than to look away but it was as if some invisible magnetic force wouldn't let her.

"We're here! Look! you can see the water!" Theo exclaimed, pressing his nose up against the window.
"Alright kids, get all your stuff together-- we don't want to leave anything behind." Lily said, finally able to look away.

"Denny Beach stop, please use the back exit!" came the raspy voice of the driver.

"Uh, where's the beach?" James asked looking around.

"Just over that little hill. Cone on, slow pokes!" Katie called, running up the hill after Theo.

"Hey, slow down, Theo and Katie, and don't go near the water until James and I get there!" Lily warned.

By the time Lily and James had trekked up the hill, the children had already picked a spot on the beach and were in the process of laying out a rather large blanket.

"Can we play in the water now, Lily?" Katie asked.

"Wait, sunscreen first, then you can go play." Lily replied responsibly. "Now don't go too far in," Lily warned before sending them off. "waist deep only!"

Then, making sure no one was watching, Lily pulled out her wand and pointed it toward where Katie and Theo were playing in the water. The tip of her wand glowed faintly pink as she cast the spell, and then she pocketed it once more.

"What was that?" James asked.

"I ordered a book through the Daily Prophet a few years back, 'Handy Spells and Tricks for Babysitting.' the boundary spell I just cast is from there-- makes it so they won't go further out in the water than I want them to." Lily explained, shrugging out of her sundress to reveal a simple black bikini top and a pair of shorts.

"Did you not bring a bathing suit?" Lily asked, feeling James' stare on her.

"No. Might have thought to bring one if you'd have told me where we were going." James replied.

Once again, Lily cautiously pulled out her wand and aimed a spell at James' trousers, which immediately transfigured themselves into a pair of red swimming shorts.

"There." Lily said, putting her wand away again.

"I thought you were rubbish at Transfiguration." James replied, admiring her spell work.

"Well, I am for the most part, but bathing suits I can do," Lily said. "The girls and I learned how back in second year during that heat wave-- much safer than skinny dipping in the lake."

"Oh yeah, I remember that," James said. "I think that's the hottest it's ever been at Hogwarts, but that's some pretty advanced magic for a second year-- I'm impressed."

"Well, I've only ever done girls suits so you're just lucky you didn't end up in a yellow polk-a-dotted bikini." Lily laughed.

James cringed. "Dear Merlin, that would have scarred me for life!"

"Scarred you?" Lily laughed. "I probably never would have been able to look at you again!"

"Mmm…I'd imagine you'd have gone into withdrawal syndromes if you'd never be able to look at my godly physique ever again." James said, flexing his muscles and puffing his chest out.

Lily scowled and James laughed at Lily's obvious disapproval.

"Keep laughing, James, but don't be surprised if you suddenly find yourself sporting that bikini." Lily said sweetly.

James stopped laughing and searched Lily's face before smiling once more.

"You're bluffing." he said finally.

"Am I?" Lily asked "Well, I guess you could always find out the hard way…then again, if you're so sure I won't do anything to embarrass you, by all means, keep it up."

James laughed off Lily's threat but all the same, from then on he was careful not to tease her too much, just in case.

The rest of the day passed leisurely as the four enjoyed the beach. Katie and Theo took a break from playing in the water to eat sandwiches for lunch with James and Lily and after, the four built what Theo dubbed as 'the best sand castle ever.'

Although at first James though his day with Lily would be ruined with having to baby-sit, he had to admit, he was enjoying himself. So much in fact that he had almost forgotten the fact that no one had remembered today was his seventeenth birthday. But, as it always goes, no matter how much you try pushing unpleasant thoughts or memories to the back of your head, they have a knack for resurfacing just when you think you've gotten rid of them, which is why, as the day was drawing to an end, James was once again bitterly remembering that everyone had forgotten his birthday.

"Again with the sad face!" Lily commented looking over at James who was staring out into the ocean moodily. "Really now, can't you just tell me what's got you so upset?"

James sighed.
"I can't."

"Sure you can." Lily countered.

"Well I know I can, I just--" James trailed off. "You know what I mean, Lily."

"Fine, but if you don't tell me what's bothering you, I can't help you fix it, or at least, make you feel a bit better about it."

"No offense, Lily, but I don't think even you could fix this one." James said bitterly.

"Maybe not," Lily shrugged. "but I think I have something that might cheer you up a bit."

Lily turned around and rummaged through a small blue cooler she had brought along to the beach, her back to James, effectively shielding whatever she was pulling out.

When she turned around, in her hand was a frosted chocolate cupcake with a single lit candle on top.

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you," Lily sang. "Happy birthday dear James, happy birthday to you."

She handed James the cupcake and he took note for the first time that she had even taken care to write 'Happy 17th Birthday James" around it's perimeter.

"Well, aren't you going to make a wish and blow out the candle?" Lily asked expectantly.

James blew the candle out with ease before speaking for the first time since Lily had acknowledged it was his birthday.

"But, how did you know?"

"I have my sources," Lily said cryptically. "I was just surprised your parent's didn't have anything planned out for today-- your mum didn't even mention it was your birthday when I came by this morning."

"That's because she forgot-- they all did, my mum. my dad, Sirius, Remus, Peter-- all of them."

"That's why you've been off all day." Lily deduced.

James nodded.

"You're the only person who remembered which means, this, is as far as my birthday celebrations go this year." James replied glumly.

"Well, actually, you've still got to open my present." Lily said.

"You bought me a present?" James asked, perking up immediately.

"Actually no-- I didn't really have time to go buy you an actual present but I do have something for you." Lily handed James an envelope which he took and opened immediately.

Inside was a simple birthday card with the message:

Dear James~

Sorry I couldn't get you a real birthday present, what with

all the wedding planning, It was near impossible

To get down to the store. So instead, I'm giving you three,

non-refundable, good anytime anywhere wishes-- Just think

of me as your personal genie to an extent. So think carefully about what you'd like to wish for, birthday boy, and let me know. Hope your 17th birthday's everything you hoped it would be.

~ Lily

"Three wishes, huh?" James commented, looking up from his card.

"Yup."

"And I can wish for anything I want?"

Lily paused before answering him. "Yes," She said warily. "Why? Do you have something in mind already?"

"Actually, yes." James said smiling. "Can we go into London? Just me and you?"

"That's what you want? TO go into London?" Lily asked, surprised.

"Well, I've never really been-- I mean, I've been in passing, but I've never really experienced the whole of London or seen any of the sights."

"So you want a muggle tour of London?"

"Exactly."

"Alright." Lily said, "We'll go sometime this week or next. So, Mr. James Potter, that's one wish down, anything else?"

"Don't suppose you could turn back time and make it so everyone actually remembered it was my birthday, could you?" James asked, hollowly.

"No, probably not." Lily replied. "But tell me anyway, if no one had forgotten, what would have been your ideal birthday?"

"Well," James sighed "Breakfast with mum and dad like every year, and a party in the evening-- nothing big or extravagant, just my parents, maybe a few other relatives, Sirius, Remus, Peter," James listed. "and, you.-- that's what I'd wish for."

Lily smiled. "That would have been nice. You can definitely count me in for next year, though." she joked.

"Okay, consider yourself formally invited for next year then." James laughed.

"It's getting late," Lily said, noticing the sun was beginning to descend. "We should get going if we want to have the kids back by seven or so. Why don't you go round them up while I pick up a bit here."

"Alright," James said, walking toward the shore where Katie was trying to burry Theo in the sand.

The ride home felt shorter than the ride up, in James' opinion and having exhausted themselves out, Katie and Theo had fallen asleep almost instantly.

The trolley lurked to a stop and Lily made to wake up Katie, who was the only one still sleeping.

"It's alright," James said stopping her. "let her sleep, I'll carry her home."

"Are you sure?" Lily asked.

"Positive." James replied, scooping the small girl up in his arms and following Lily and Theo out into the street.

When they reached the Barrett house, Mrs. Barrett answered the door almost instantly.

"Did you kids have fun at the beach?" she asked, smiling broadly.

"So much fun! I wanna go again." Theo said through a yawn.

Lily nodded. "Katie fell asleep on the way home. I was going to wake her but James insisted on carrying her and letting her sleep."

Mrs. Barrett looked over at James who was still carrying an obviously sleeping Katie Barrett.

"Well, that was very sweet of you dear-- thank you so much for carrying her home."

Katie stirred at the sound of her mother's voice. "Are we there yet?" she asked sleepily as she opened her eyes.

"Yeah, you're home, kid." James answered softly.

"Oh, okay." Katie yawned.

James put her down and tugged on his slightly wrinkled shirt.

"Well, Mrs. Barrett, James and I better get going." Lily said.

"Oh yes, of course-- Katherine, Theodore, say goodbye and thank you to Lily and James and then I want you both to go get ready for bed." Mrs. Barrett ordered.

The children muttered tired goodbyes and then ascended the stairs slowly.

"Well, thanks again Lily, you're a lifesaver!" Mrs. Barrett commented, walking them to the door. "And be sure and hang on to that one," she said, nodding in James' direction. "he's definitely a keeper."

"Oh, no, Mrs. Barrett, James and I, we're not together." Lily corrected, feeling a blush beginning to creep up.

"Well, then if I may suggest," Mrs. Barret whispered slyly. "Snatch him up before someone else beats you to it, darling."

Lily coughed in embarrassment. "Good night, Mrs. Barrett."

Mrs. Barrett chuckled at Lily's flustered expression.

"So what was Mrs. Barrett whispering to you about?" James asked as they walked toward their houses.

"Oh nothing, something about my sister's wedding." Lily lied, walking toward James' front door.

She turned around to tell James to open the door and realized he was not behind her but walking toward her house.

"James, where are you going?" Lily asked.

"Uh, I'm trying to walk you home." James answered, gesturing toward Lily's house. "Where are you going?"

"James, it's eight o'clock-- the night is young, and I'm not about to leave you alone now and have you spend the rest of your birthday wallowing at home alone, again"

"Wallowing?" James echoed. "Lily, I haven't been wallowing all day--"
"Oh really?" Lily crossed her arms. "Need I remind you in what state I found you in this morning?"

"I-I was enjoying a nice cup of orange juice, is that a crime?" James said.

"Nooo, you were wallowing!" Lily said. "Now come on, I already told you, you're not spending the rest of your birthday alone so come over here and open the door-- I'm sure we can find something fun to do in here." Lily said, moving to the side so James could open the door.

James opened the door to his house and Lily stepped in behind him, closing the door.

"Why's it so dark in here?" James asked, rhetorically, walking toward the living room. "And who the hell closed all the blinds and curtains--"

"SURPRISE!!!"

Upon entering the living room, the lights flicked on to reveal a small group of people including his parents, grandparents and a few of his aunts and uncles standing before him and smiling brightly.

James was taken aback.

"Oh honey, don't look so horrified!" Moira exclaimed, going over to give her son a hug.

"But, I thought you'd all forgotten!" James said.

"Now that's silly," David Potter said, giving James' already messy hair a tousle. "How could we ever forget your birthday?"

"So, you guys really knew this whole time? What about working all day?" James asked.

"We made it up," Moira said, simply. "We knew the only way you'd believe us is if you thought we were too busy to remember."

"And you had this all planned?" James asked.

"Actually, it was Lily's idea-- she wanted to plan something nice for your birthday," David said. "We've been planning it out with her for a week now."

James looked over at Lily who was smiling mischievously at him.

"I should have known you'd have had something to do with this." James said, grinning.

"Well, I had to find some way to make your seventeenth birthday unforgettable." Lily replied, walking to stand next to James.

"I still can't believe you put me through all that grief though-- you had me wallowing, for Merlin's sake!" James exclaimed.

"Oh, you know I only did it because I care!" Lily said, shrugging.

But before James could ask Lily to further expand on her reasoning, his Aunt Mindy had walked into the living room, carrying with her a marvelous looking cake, with seventeen lit candles, which was everyone's cue to sing 'Happy Birthday.'

James was seated near Lily and his parents, when all of a sudden, the Potter's fireplace burned an emerald green, and a swooshing sound emitted from it. The emerald flames parted and the bobbing head of Remus Lupin appeared.

"Moony!" James exclaimed, dashing over to crouch on his knees by the fire.

"Happy birthday, James." Remus replied.

"So you didn't forget either?" James asked.

Remus laughed. "Sorry, James, I would have sent your birthday card sooner but Lily told me to wait and make absolutely sure it didn't get to you before tonight-- you should be getting it soon though. And I take it, your surprise birthday idea turned out well, judging by James' reaction." Remus said, directing the last part of his comment to Lily , who had come over to the fireplace as well.

"Yup, he was completely surprised-- you should have seen him, moping around all day-- thanks for tipping me off about his birthday though." Lily said.

"Wait, Remus was the one who told you?" James asked, shocked.

"Hey, I told you I had my sources!" Lily said.

"Well, Prongs, I've got to run, but enjoy the rest of your party." Remus said.

"Aw, do you have to go, Moony? Can't you floo over and stay for a bit?" James asked.

"No, mum, doesn't think it's such a good idea what with, well, you know," Remus trailed off.

"Right," James said, "Well, I'll see you sometime before school starts up, then? You're going to meet up with us at Diagon Alley, right?"

"Definitely." Remus grinned. "Alright, take care, James, Lily."

"Bye, Remus!" Lily said, blowing a kiss at him, and causing a small flash of jealousy to flood through James.

Remus smiled and with a small POP! vanished.

"Well, I must say, you certainly thought of everything-- even remembering to tell my friends not to owl me in the morning." James said.

"Of course." Lily smiled. "It never would have worked if I didn't-- and speaking of owls." Lily motioned over to the window where two large owls were tapping on the glass.

James immediately went over, and opened the window, retrieving the letters from each of the owls legs.

James opened the first envelope, recognizing the handwriting at once to be Peter's. Peter had sent him a birthday card along with some of his mum's home made fudge.

The second birthday card was from his best friend, Sirius.

Dear James~

I wish I could have been there to celebrate your seventeenth birthday-- by now you probably already know about the surprise party your parents have been planning for you as well. Even though I imagine you're enjoying yourself, I'm sure you're not having as much fun as you would be without me around to cause some sort of mischief! So, my best friend, and brother, have a happy seventeenth birthday and enjoy every minute of it,

after all, you only turn seventeen once! And don't worry, when I get back from Andromeda's, we'll go out and have a belated birthday celebration.

Hope you're doing well, and say hi to the parents for me,

~Sirius

The party went on for a couple more hours, in which James opened up a generous stack of presents and his relatives took part in revealing their favorite memories from James' childhood. One by one, the guests dwindled until the only people left were James, his parents, and Lily. And after helping his mum pick up the living room, James offered to walk Lily home.

"I think that was one of the best birthday's I've ever had-- thank you." James said.

"You're welcome... you got some nice gifts." Lily replied, not knowing what to say.

"Yeah, but I think I like yours the best, and, I have two wishes left."

"Actually, you're down to one." Lily said as they reached her front door.

"Whaddyamean?" James asked, "I only wished for one thing! I have two wishes left!"

"No, I distinctly remember you wishing that your family had remembered your birthday, and they did. Plus, I think you also wished along with that, for a small family oriented party which I provided you with, so, you see, you're down to one wish." Lily said.

"That's so cheap," James replied. "But I'll let it slide for throwing me the best 17th birthday party ever."

A silence passed between them as they stood on Lily's front porch.

"Happy birthday, James." Lily said, breaking the silence.

And then, Lily surprised James by doing something she had never done before. It happened so fast that James barely even had time to register the fact that Lily's arms had gone around him, and that she was hugging him. James felt as if he had barely wrapped his own arms around her before she pulled away quickly.

"Well, good night!" Lily said, slipping through her front door and vanishing from sight.

James stood there smiling goofily for a moment more before walking back to his own house. As of yet, he still didn't know where he stood with one, Lily Evans, but at the moment, that didn't really matter to him. Lily had hugged him and James felt as though he could have floated back to his house if he had wanted to. It was the perfect ending to the absolutely perfect seventeenth birthday.

A/N:

So…what did you all think? I hope this chapter lived up to everyone's expectations-- I know a lot of you were pretty excited for it so I just hope I did it justice! J

Hmm…well, like I mentioned in chapter 7, I do have the next three chapters planned out so hopefully chapter 9 will be out soon but I'm not making any promises-- school's keeping me pretty busy but even so, I'm trying to make time at least once a week to sit down and do some writing.

As always, your reviews inspire me to keep writing so please, please REVIEW!

Take care!

~Pamela

Oh, and just as a side note…does anyone listen to MuggleCast? Is anyone going to be at the live LeakyMug this Thursday in LA? If you are, I am very, very jealous of you seeing as how I'm not allowed to go…::sigh::