Unofficial Portkey Archive

Wormtail by Green Eggs and Ham
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Wormtail

Green Eggs and Ham

Chapter 2

Conflicts

It was the day before OWLs, and the self-proclaimed Marauders were sitting in the library, doing more talking than studying. In fact, Peter was the only one who was doing any studying at all, because he didn't quite have the natural talent that the others did, and part of him resented them for that.

The night before had been the full moon, and, as usual, they had completely exhausted themselves, exploring the grounds in their animal forms until morning. In the two years since the boys had first become Animagi, they had learned more about the Hogwarts grounds than any man alive, which was why James had suggested they call themselves the Marauders in the first place.

Suddenly James spoke, interrupting Peter's thoughts. "Look who it is, mates," he said, standing and facing a lonely table in the corner. Peter looked over, seeing a nervous looking boy with dark, greasy hair.

"Why if it isn't Snivellus," Sirius said, standing alongside James.

The boy, who Peter recognized as Severus Snape, immediately began shoving his things carelessly into his bag, rushing to leave the library.

"Now don't rush off," James laughed. "We only want to talk to you." He and Sirius looked haughtily at the boy, who whipped out his wand and pointed it directly between James' eyes. James, who already held his wand in his hand, didn't look terribly bothered by this.

But before anything remotely interesting could happen, Madam Pince, looking particularly vulture-like, walked out of the restricted section, where she had been dusting, and the boy skulked away.

Despite himself, Peter was a little disappointed that there hadn't been a fight. He knew that Snape knew some dark magic, and it might do James good to be put in his place. James was his friend, but he could be pretty arrogant sometimes, and it was all just a little too much for Peter to stand.

Before he could continue with his inner rantings, Peter was distracted by a group of girls who had just entered the library. They had been giggling, but at a sharp look from Madam Pince, they got quickly silent. One of them in particular caught his eye. She was the most beautiful girl in the room, in the school, and in the world as far as Peter was concerned, and he had been trying for months to get up enough courage to talk to her.

Peter closed his eyes for a moment, took a deep breath, and then stood up to go over to her.

"Oy, Evans!" James shouted from behind him. Peter watched in horror as James approached the girl of his dreams. He could barely breathe. James was talking to her. He was flirting with her.

She giggled a little bit, and Peter could have cried. Then James leaned confidently on the table she was sitting at and said, "So Lily, why don't we go out sometime?"

She looked like Christmas had come early, and all the other girls at the table were looking at her enviously.

Lily smiled, and said, "Sure, I'd love to."

Every muscle in Peter's body tensed up. He had to do something. And he knew exactly what it would be.

*

"Hey, Lily?" Peter said, approaching her slowly once the rest of the boys had already left.

She looked at him blankly for a moment, then broke into a smile. "You're James' friend, right?" she asked.

His face fell slightly, but it was hardly noticeable. "Yea, um… I'm Peter," he said slowly. "Peter Pettigrew."

"Nice to meet you, Peter," she said, still smiling, but looking at him expectantly. "Did you want something?"

"Uh, yea," he started, and paused for a moment, before blurting out, "Are you gonna go out with James?"

Lily smiled uneasily. "Uh yea, I am. Why?"

"Well," Peter started slowly, "I don't really know how to say this, but I really think you should know what James has been saying about you."

Lily's face fell. "What he's been saying about me?" she repeated quietly.

Peter took a steadying breath, faking concern. "Well, James has been telling everyone that he thinks you're sort of strange, but that you're hot, so he's just gonna get you to have sex with him, and then dump you," he said quickly, smiling on the inside, but maintaining his caring expression.

Lily was looking really shattered now, and with a shaky voice, she said quietly, "He really said that?"

Peter nodded, looking at her sadly, and continued, really getting into it. "Yea, he said it wouldn't be a problem or anything because any girl would die for a chance to sleep with him."

He could see the shock and dejection on her face, and he knew he was hurting her, but it was necessary, and had to be done.

Then the other Marauders walked back into the library, and Peter whispered hurriedly, "Look, don't say anything about this, ok? James is my friend, and I don't want him to hate me, but I just don't think it's right, what he does to people."

She nodded quickly, clearly fighting back tears, and walked back to her friends, as he walked back to his.

"What were you talking to Lily about?" James asked Peter, trying to sound apathetic, but failing miserably.

"Well, I heard her saying to her friends what a cocky prat you were, and I went over and tried to tell her you were a good guy, but she wouldn't listen," Peter told him, looking sympathetic.

At the look on James' face, Peter almost felt bad for what he had done. Almost. "But I thought it was going great!" he protested. "I thought she liked me!"

"Well I don't know why she hates you so much, but if I were you, I'd just forget about her," Peter suggested.

James' stared blankly for a moment at Remus and Sirius, who both shrugged sympathetically, and then regained his composure, and marched over to the group of girls.

Lily saw him coming, and looked up, smiling bitterly. "You know, now that I think about it, I don't think I really want to go anywhere with you." Before he could say anything, she began gathering her things, and said, "You are just an arrogant, conceited prat, and I wouldn't go out with you for a thousand galleons."

She marched off, her friends following her, giving James dirty looks as they passed, and Peter couldn't help smiling as he watched James stand there, shocked and hurt. He was never going to get her now. And she would be grateful to Peter for warning her, even if it could have cost him his best friend. Things were starting to look up after all.

*

The next day, OWLs were finally over, as was all the studying, and all the fifth years were sitting outside, taking advantage of what was quite possibly the most beautiful day of the year.

James was playing with a snitch that he had taken after the last Quidditch game, and, watching him closely, Peter could see why everyone idolized him for his Seeking abilities. He had amazing reflexes, and he was showing them off to everyone who cared to watch.

"Put that away, will you?" Sirius said. " Before Wormtail wets himself from excitement."

Peter turned away slightly, and he could feel his face turning red. He glanced at James and saw that he was grinning as he put the snitch back in his pocket.

The other Marauders began talking and laughing, but Peter just looked around at all the other groups of fifth years, especially Lily and her friends, who stood by the lake, laughing and having fun. Peter wished he could have been over there with them, instead of stuck here with people who didn't even like him, or care about him at all.

Suddenly, behind him, Sirius and James stood up. Peter turned to see what they were looking at, and saw Snape, shoving his papers back into his bag quickly. Peter got very excited. He knew James would start a fight with him, and he was hoping for him to be taught a lesson.

"All right, Snivellus?" said James loudly.

Snape reacted immediately, taking out his wand so fast, it was obvious he had been expecting an attack.

With no effort, and looking rather bored, James shouted, "Expelliarmus!" and laughed as Snape's wand flew into the air and landed in the grass a few feet behind him. Sirius laughed with him, as did the crowd of people who were gathering around to watch.

As Snape dived toward his wand, James shouted, "Impedimenta!" and Snape was knocked off his feet, much to the delight of the growing crowd.

Getting closer as the other fifth years blocked his view, Peter tried not to seem too seem too excited, lest Sirius call attention to it, but he couldn't help it, and watched hungrily as Snape struggled to get back to his wand.

Their humiliation of Snape continued, and Peter's disappointment grew as they mocked and embarrassed him. But suddenly, Peter's attention was drawn by something else. Lily Evans was marching over, looking angrier than Peter had ever seen her.

"Leave him ALONE!" she yelled, approaching James furiously.

James messed up his hair with his free hand, and Peter almost laughed. He did that all the time, and it was pathetic. "All right, Evans?" he said, deepening his voice.

"Leave him alone," she repeated, looking James straight in the eye. "What's he done to you?"

James smiled cockily. "Well, it's more the fact that he exists, if you know what I mean…."

Peter laughed a bit at that, but Lily did not look amused.

"You think you're funny," she said coldly. "But you're just an arrogant, bullying toerag, Potter. Leave him alone."

If this statement offended James, he didn't show it. He simply said quickly, "I will if you go out with me, Evans. Go on… Go out with me, and I'll never lay a wand on old Snivellus again."

Without wavering, Lily said, "I wouldn't go out with you if it was a choice between you and the giant squid."

Peter smiled at this. She would never go out with him. He had won. And it was about to get better. James and Sirius had been so focused on Lily that they hadn't noticed Snape edging toward his wand.

They noticed him too late. He stood up, and pointed his wand at James. With a flash of light, James' face was cut, spattering his robes with blood.

The fighting went on, but Peter was too happy to care. He really had won. But it wouldn't stop there. One day he would have everything James had ever wanted, and James would know then that he was nothing.

Thanks for reading….. Hope you liked it….. Review!


-->