Unofficial Portkey Archive

Wormtail by Green Eggs and Ham
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Wormtail

Green Eggs and Ham

Chapter 3

Decisions

There was a collective feeling of dismay as the Marauders unpacked for what would be their final year at Hogwarts. No one was talking, but words weren't necessary. They all felt the same way.

After ten minutes of total silence tinged with melancholy, James broke it, saying, "All right mates, not that this isn't a blast and a half, but I'd really rather not be so depressed at the moment," and he walked out of the boys' dormitory down into the common room.

The others continued unpacking, but Peter suddenly realized that he had left his coat on the couch downstairs, and quickly followed James to get it.

He had barely reached the bottom of the stairs when he heard James voice, and hid just out of sight, listening.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know there was anyone down here," he said starting back for the stairs.

"No, it's alright, you don't have to go," said another voice, which Peter recognized instantly. "To tell you the truth, I could probably use some company."

James sat down next to Lily Evans, and Peter's stomach tensed with jealousy. It had been two years since James had last asked her out, and Peter had used that time to become friends with her. He was going to ask her out soon, and get the one thing James Potter couldn't have.

But now here they were, on the first day of their seventh and last year at Hogwarts, and Peter was hiding in the shadows watching James hit on the love of his life.

"So, what are you doing down here all by yourself?" James asked, smiling.

Lily sighed. "Well, to tell you the truth, I just didn't feel like being around my friends right now. It's just sad, you know? This has been my home for the past six years, and I only have one more before I'll have to leave. I won't be with my friends everyday anymore, and I don't even know what I'm going to do once school is over. It'll be a whole new world."

James gave her a sad smile. "Believe it or not, I was just thinking the exact same thing. It's been a little bit frightening."

Peter almost snorted. They were being so pathetic. They just sat in silence for a few minutes, but it seemed comfortable, not awkward. Peter was just holding his breath. Don't do anything. Just get up and walk away.

"Do you… want to go out sometime?" James asked slowly.

To Peter's horror, Lily smiled. "Sure."

And then, as if it couldn't get any worse, James leaned over, and kissed her. Peter couldn't take anymore. He turned around and ran back up the stairs and into his room, throwing himself onto his bed.

Remus and Sirius looked up, but stayed silent.

*

The next morning, when Peter woke up, the other boys had already gone to breakfast, and Peter was alone. He was always alone.

He got out of bed slowly, wondering why he felt so depressed, and then it all came back to him. He kicked the wall. It hurt. A lot.

It's not a big deal. It won't last long, he told himself all the way down to breakfast, but it didn't get rid of the sick feeling in his stomach. And it only got worse when he reached the Great Hall.

James was sitting at the table across from Remus and Sirius with his arm wrapped around Lily Evans, who looked happy.

When James saw him standing in the doorway, he waved him over, and Peter slowly made his way over to the group.

"Did you hear?" James asked when Peter reached them. "Me and Lily are going out!"

Peter smiled supportively, but inside he was screaming. "That's great," he said, with a big, fake smile.

Sirius laughed. "Yea, it took you long enough!"

Everyone laughed at this, but Peter only chuckled uneasily. "Oh, you know what, I just remembered I forgot my… socks," he said quickly, and practically ran from the table.

He walked for ages, before reaching a deserted hallway, far away, where he stopped and screamed, "I HATE JAMES POTTER!"

"Doesn't everybody?" said a voice behind him quietly. It was Severus Snape. "I always thought you had a thing for that Evans girl. You must be pretty angry. But then you would have to be. I can't imagine anyone wanting to be his friend."

Peter nodded, clenching his fists. "I want to destroy him."

Snape walked closer to him, and said softly, "Now you're talking."

*

Peter was standing just outside the forbidden forest, just like Snape had told him, but he was probably more creeped out than he had ever been before. He didn't know quite why he had to meet Snape here, but apparently it was very secret.

He heard a twig snap, and spun around instantly, but saw that it was just Snape, followed by some other boys he didn't know by name, but had seen around school.

"I-I was starting to think you weren't c-coming," Peter stuttered, making Snape laugh.

"Well of course we were coming. Our master has determined that you may be of some good to him, being so close to the ones he is interested in," Snape said, looking deeply into Peter's eyes, and giving him a creepy feeling.

"Your m-master?" Peter asked, getting more frightened by the minute.

Snape said nothing, but simply rolled up his right sleeve, showing Peter his arm. Peter gasped. He had been expecting it, really, but he wasn't at all prepared to actually see the Dark Mark shining on Snape's forearm.

He had heard so much of the Death Eaters, and the thought of joining them terrified him. He had been offered a great opportunity, but he wasn't sure if he had the nerve.

He wasn't such a bad person, really. He did hate James, but he didn't think it was enough to motivate him to join the darkest wizard that ever lived. He had heard what those people did, and wasn't sure if he was capable of such violent crimes.

But he did want Lily more then anything in the world, and he would do whatever it took to get her.

Hope you're all enjoying it so far. The last chapter is gonna be the last, and I personally think it'll be the best, but I don't actually know, as I haven't written it yet. But I don't think it'll take long… although I can speed it up if I get a lot of reviews...


-->