Unofficial Portkey Archive

I thought you didn't really love me by Harry85
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

I thought you didn't really love me

Harry85

Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter, or HBP would have been different.

A/N: I proposed this plot as a challenge, but no one seemed interested, so I worked on it myself. Please, if you read, leave me a comment.

I thought you did not really love me

Living with Harry

It was by now two years from their last year at Hogwarts, two years from that Graduation Day in which Harry Potter had defeated once and for all Lord Voldemort.

The Dark Lord had come to the school with an army of Death Eaters and dark creatures, but Hogwarts had faced it with brave students and staff and one hundred of House-Elves, who were convinced to join the fight by Head Girl Hermione Granger, and Head Boy Harry Potter. Their friends Dobby and Winky had done the rest, leading the army of little creatures.

Their ability to Disapparate even on the school grounds was really valuable for the Light side.

At the end of the battle, some students were lost, and some Elves too.

Winky was one of them, Hermione found her on the verge of death, and offered help, but the Elf had refused.

"I'm glads to be dying helping good wizards. I can joins my ancestors now" she had whimpered, before leaving this world.

Then, celebrations ensued in all the Wizarding World, and Harry had to attend some of them although he did so begrudgingly.

He hated the press and the fame, but his girlfriend Hermione had convinced him to attend.

They had confessed their feelings for each other right after the battle, and the sweetest of kisses had sealed their confessions of love.

Hermione felt all warm inside even now, thinking back to those moments.

Both battered from the fight, they had crawled toward each other, and lay there, in each other's arms, letting their hearts be poured out to the other.

Then, Harry had leaned in, brushing his lips softly on hers, and she had held him there, locking her arms behind his neck, pushing back with her own mouth.

They had been together since that moment, and they were inseparable. Every time Harry would attend a party in his honour, she would be there for him, his rock in difficult moments.

Their other best friend, Ron Weasley, had found love in Luna Lovegood, while Ginny had hooked up with Draco Malfoy.

Yes, the Slytherin.

He had proved to be different from his father, although few believed that after his scheme to get Dumbledore killed had worked.

Next year, however, he had returned to Hogwarts, and asked for forgiveness. He had explained how he had acted out of love for his mother, who had been threatened to be killed if he was to fail, and at first no one believed him. But, he had proved useful as a spy for the Order of the Phoenix, showing where his true allegiances lay.

One year later, Harry and Hermione had moved together.

She had been ecstatic when he had told her his idea of living together, and eagerly agreed. She thought it was to be pure bliss to live with the man she loved so much, and for some time it had been.

They kept snogging their brains out of each other every time they would be together at home, and they would touch each other too, never going all the way tough, as she wanted to wait till marriage for that. .

But, after some time, she started to feel something was not completely right. He was the sweet guy he had always been, but at times she felt neglected.

Although he would now and then surprise her with romantic gestures, like the weekend in Paris he had arranged for them, booking the most expensive suite in the town, with a breathtaking view on the Eiffel Tower, and every comfort one could think of, or the night he had planned on the first anniversary of their getting together, on a secluded Caribbean island, under the moonlight and with champagne to cheer at the recurrence, or again, the gift he had given her on her last birthday, the one book she had never been able to find, a first edition of "Transfiguration of Human Beings" written by Rowena Ravenclaw, there were times when she was disappointed with him.

The most hurtful one had been few days before, on Valentine's Day.

She had come home early, to work on her plan for a romantic night. She had lit candles all around the flat, from the main door to their bedroom, to the bathroom, to the living room, everywhere.

Then soft music had been conjured, and she started working on the meal.

Lovingly she had prepared treacle tart, his favourite dish, and other things she knew he simply loved.

Champagne had been put to chill in a silver icebox on the table, and she prepared the table for a cozy dinner for two.

Then she waited.

And waited.

And waited.

And waited more.

The food was by now cold, the candles consumed. The ice was all melt, the champagne not chilly anymore.

The music had faded.

She was sitting on the couch, when the clock sounded midnight.

He was not at home yet.

Only half an hour later he arrived.

"I see you found your way home" she said scathingly.

"Tough day at the Ministry" he replied, crashing on the couch near her.

He attempted an hug, but she moved away.

He tried again, but she again moved out of his reach, leaving.

He was dumbfounded, and ran his hand through his hair.

Then he followed her in the kitchen, just to be greeted by treacle tart thrown at him.

"OY! What was that for?" he protested, his anger rising. He was knackered, and this was not the welcome home he expected.

To be truthful, he did not expect she to be up at all.

Usually, when he was this late, and being a Auror it happened at times, she would go to bed.

"I've spent all afternoon creating the perfect Valentine Day dinner for the two of us, and you show up past midnight!" she shouted at him, tears staining her pretty face.

Then it dawned on him. It was Valentine Day!

Being engrossed in a major case, he had completely forgotten.

Ashamed with himself, he sat heavily, sighing.

"Look, love, I'm sorry. This last month we've been so busy with this case that it slipped from my mind that today was Valentine's. I'm truly sorry" he said, not able to look at her.

"How could I forget that?" he thought, angry at himself.

She could see he was truly sorry, and moved toward him.

"Just hold me tonight, ok?" she said in a small voice, placing her hand on his shoulder.

He nodded.

"Let's go to bed, then" she said, leading him to their bedroom.

But it was far from being all right. Even if she tried to not show it, the events of the night had truly shaken her.

She doubted herself, and her relationship with Harry.

It did not help that he lately talked about work, or Quidditch, or did not talk at all.

Oh, yes, they were both busy workers.

She was top Healer at St. Mungo's so the worst cases were hers, and that needed lots of work, plus she had to coordinate all her co-workers schedules and so on.

It happened often that she would come home late too. And, not always in the best of moods, when she failed to heal someone, or she found herself with very nauseous views.

Harry, he had pursued his dream to be an Auror. In one year time he had gained the position of Head Auror, thus all the division was under him. He had to review the paperwork of everyone of them before bringing it to the Head of the Law Enforcement Department, Amelia Bones.

He had to be in the most difficult and risky field activities, and he had the responsibility of every one of his men.

Every time one got hurt, or worse, killed, he would be moody for days. Not even Hermione could bring him out of that at times, and that was another thing that made her doubt "them".

She would see their friends when they were all together, and sparkles of happiness were always in Ron, Luna, Ginny and even Draco's eyes. They seemed to right for each other, and she was a bit envious of that.

Oh, they did have their fights too, but nothing really huge. Well, Ginny and Draco could not help to fight now and then, due to their tempers.

Luna did a good job of keeping Ron quiet tough, and they seemed the best couple, out of the six of them.

She was able to interest him in what she did for a living, she worked for the Quibbler, and although many of the things she believed none of them thought really existed, she knew she could always count on Ronald if she wanted to tell him something about an article she was working on.

The redhead, too, knew she would always be there ready to speak if something bad happened to the Cannons. Yes, Ron had made it to the team he loved, as Keeper, and a good one too.

That brought him far from home lots, but he never missed a recurrence.

Draco and Ginny, well, he worked as an Auror with Harry, feeling the need to help in nullifying the ones like his father.

Actually, the two of them worked in close contact, if you can believe it. But as busy as he was, Hermione had never heard a complaint from her about being neglected.

She, working at the Daily Prophet, did her best to tell the truth in her articles, thus lots of researches were usual for her. Long ones too, so she was pretty busy herself.

But with her "Drake" she seemed perfectly happy.

Her mind busy thinking this, Hermione entered their flat, and immediately was greeted by a good scent coming from the kitchen.

Wondering what was going on, Harry couldn't be home yet, it was just six p.m., he usually did not come home before eight, she entered the room to find a single red rose on the table, a small piece of parchment attached to it.

"The rose is a Portkey, grab it

and you'll reach me.

Harry

P.S. I've cut away all the thorns"

She couldn't help but smile. Wondering what he was up to, knowing very well it was his way to make it up for missing Valentine's, she had a quick shower and change of dress, wondering what she would need to wear.

He had not given her clues, so she decided for something not too sexy but not really plain too.

She wore a pink dress that clutched at her very well but not exposing too much. It was just a bit longer than knee-length, and the V-neck did not plunge too deep.

Coming back to the kitchen, she made sure she had her wand and her purse, and grabbed the rose.

The usual tug at her navel ensued, and soon she landed, quite graciously to tell the truth, on a clearing between the rocks of the side of a mountain that ended directly into the sea.

The view was breathtaking, with the sunset colouring the sky with red, orange and yellow. Candles were put around the place, and a blanket in the center of the clearing, a small basket on it.

It was really romantic, but she wondered where Harry was.

"Waiting for someone, milady?" he asked, a smile on his lips when she turned.

He offered her a single white rose, and she smiled warmly at him.

"Thanks, Harry" she said.

Then they sat, and Harry opened the basket. He had asked the help of Dobby, and had packed all the things she loved the most.

They ate quietly, now and then exchanging some words.

She complimented him for his cooking skills and for the choice of dishes, and he admitted he had had help.

"What matters is the gesture, tough" she said, placing her hand on his own.

He nodded, and they kept eating.

"You know, this place is really beautiful. I love the sea, and the sunset reflecting on the water…" she said after dinner was completed, and they sat in each other arms, leaning into him.

In that precise moment she felt something buzzing into his pocket.

He felt it too, and grabbed it hastily from there. It was a new communication mode the Ministry had developed for the Aurors, taking inspiration from the Muggle Cellular phones.

It was a bit like the small mirror Sirius had given him in his fifth year, and he had taken inspiration from that when he suggested it to be done.

So, Harry replied the call.

"What's it, Kingsley?" he asked.

She looked at him, wondering what was going on. She could not hear what the man on the other side was saying, as a security measure.

"What? Now? Can't it wait till tomorrow morning?" she heard him ask, then sigh.

"Ok, I'm coming" he concluded.

Then he turned toward her, his face sad.

She had already understood, and grabbed her purse in anger. However, she kept her emotions in check.

"Sweetheart, I'm so sorry, but they tracked Dolohov, and they need me to lead the operation. I'll be home as soon as possible, I do not think you should remain here in the dark alone"

Then he noticed her shivering, and covered her shoulders with his cloak, before he Disapparated away.

Once alone, Hermione kicked the remaining of the dinner in frustration, and Apparated home with tears falling.

She undressed quickly, and after putting her nightgown on, entered their bed, still sobbing.

"Once again he put his work before us" she thought sadly, feeling like they were slowly growing apart.

Next morning, she woke up alone in their bed. She did not like the feeling, but it had happened other times, so she got up and showered, then dressed for work.

After a quick cup of coffee, she Disapparated to the hospital, still feeling grumpy for the previous night.

"I can't believe it. He goes to such lengths to ensure a romantic night for us, but then he isn't able to deny himself to his work just for one night" she thought angrily while reaching the reception to gather some documents she needed.

Soon she was approached by one of her assistants, a young witch who she cared a lot for, since she was quite able as an Healer.

"What's the matter, Caroline?" Hermione asked, cringing inwardly at how snappish she sounded. "Sorry, just a bit stressed this morning" she quickly added.

"Oh, don't worry Healer Granger. There's an urgent case that requires your attention, he just arrived"

"Ok, then let's go him" she sighed, guessing that would not be an easy day.

However, nothing could prepare her for the shock waiting her when she opened the door.

"Harry!" she gasped.


-->