Unofficial Portkey Archive

I thought you didn't really love me by Harry85
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

I thought you didn't really love me

Harry85

Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter, or HBP would have been different.

A/N: I proposed this plot as a challenge, but no one seemed interested, so I worked on it myself. Please, if you read, leave me a comment.

Parting Ways

"Harry!" she gasped.

"Hi, Mione" he said, smiling at her, but then wincing for the pain it cost him to do so. "We got him, you know. Dolohov. He's at Azkaban now"

"Shh" she said him, taking out her wand.

His face was battered, his glasses broken, and he had severe gashes on his neck, and, from what she could see, on his chest and legs too.

"He won't hurt you anymore" Harry said, while she worked her magic on him, healing the cuts.

But then, something struck her. The wounds healed, but they left scars while the spell should be able to prevent that.

She sighed, guessing it was the same spell Dolohov had used on her. She still had her scar on the chest.

"Harry, what spell did he use…?"

"I didn't recognize the incantation, but the light was the same of the one he used on you in the Department of Mysteries" he confirmed.

She gave him some Skele-Gro and Blood replenishing potions, as he had lost lots of vital fluid and was pale, and he had his right arm and leg broken too.

He was going to endure pain to heal, but nothing lethal had been done to him.

Then she couldn't restrain her curiosity anymore.

"How did this happen?"

"We approached his hiding place, but I wanted to close bills with him personally. Plus, I knew he was dangerous. So I obliged the others to be under Invisibility cloaks, and not act if not in extreme peril.

I entered his house, but seems he was ready, and with company too. There were two other Death Eaters with him, and I started protecting myself from their curses, but then he managed to get my wand.

They started cursing me more and more, and in that moment the others came in, still under their cloaks and stunned them"

"You was your foolish self, then" she scolded him.

He grinned sheepishly.

Then she stood up and left hastily, without saying a word.

On the way to her office, she kept thinking about what he had told her.

"Wonder if he did that just because Dolohov had hurt me in fifth year" she thought. "Probably not. He has this bloody "saving people" thing, he would have done the same just to ensure the Death Eater to law, and protect whoever the man would hurt next. It's just the way he is" she thought, rationally.

Maybe a bit too rationally.

Two days Harry was kept in the hospital, then he was sent home. That for him was like he had given permit to go back to work, although he had been told to rest for some days more.

Hermione rolled her eyes when she found him not at home that night.

"Git, we say him to rest and he goes to the office" she thought, reading the note he had left her.

Some days passed, and Hermione still could not shake the thought of troubles between them, although Harry did his best to pay her attention when he could.

Then, one day, she went with Caroline to have some lunch in a nearby Muggle café, and while there she spotted Harry sitting there with a gorgeous blonde, chitchatting and laughing now and then.

He then took something off her cheek, lingering there maybe just one instant more than necessary, and they chitchatted some more, oblivious to the storming Hermione coming up behind them.

"Harry!" she shouted when behind him. He turned hastily and knew he was in trouble.

Before she could say another thing, he dragged her out of the building, and then he let her speak.

"I can't believe you were cheating on me this openly, Harry! This is how your work is? Now I understand all those nights you came home late! I guess on Valentine's Day you were too busy dining with her to come home to me, didn't you?" she spat angrily, and was ready to leave, and head home to take her things, when he grabbed her on her wrist.

"Hermione, listen to me. I was not cheating on you, there"

"No?" she said sarcastically, raising her eyebrows.

"No. She's my secretary, Hermione. And this last period I treated her so badly because I was stressed for the cases we were on, I thought she deserved a little treat to show her I do appreciate her work. I'm sure you've felt the same with Caroline now and then, don't you?"

Hermione looked at him, and from his eyes she knew he was saying the truth. And, she did feel like she was mistreating Caroline at times.

So she smiled at him.

"I believe you. It's just that lately I'm a bit stressed" she said, hiding the fact that she was stressed because was having doubts about them.

He nodded. "I know the feeling. Now, if you and Caroline would like to join us…"

And so the four of them had a good lunch together, then Harry and his secretary left, and soon later Hermione and Caroline followed suit.

"I know what you're thinking, Hermione. But from the little I know about him, he would never cheat on you" Caroline tried to reassure her.

Hermione nodded, although she would have liked to have the other girl's certainty.

That episode was not spoken of again, but since that day the brown haired witch could not avoid thinking that maybe he was seeing someone every time he got home late.

She would shake the thoughts soon, but the next time, they would return.

It had been two months from the event, and Hermione was now going back home as she had a party to attend with her co-workers that night, kind of a bonding with Magical hospitals from other countries.

She entered their home, and was surprised to find Harry there.

After all, she had mentioned it to him few days before, but she did not expect him to be there to go with her. Brightly, she spoke.

"So, you ready for the party?"

"What party?" he replied, barely moving from the couch he was lying onto.

She felt all the happiness for him being there vanish.

"The party I've got to attend tonight, the one I spoke you about few days ago"

"Oh, that one. Sorry, I kind of forgot. Do we really need to go?" he asked.

"Yes, we do. Well, I do, if it is too much for you to raise your arse from the couch" she said storming into her room.

She showered and changed into a yellow simple dress, that however left her shoulders bare apart for spaghetti straps keeping the dress in place.

She put make up on, and tied her hair in an elegant chignon.

Then she moved toward the living room. Harry was exactly in the same position she had left him.

"So, you coming or not?" she asked angrily.

"Really, can't we stay here?" he said.

"I see, a day of sitting behind a desk tired you this much, then" she spat before Apparating away.

What she did not know was that he had done anything but sitting that day. They had hid waiting for certain Chinese Dark Wizards to show up, in uncomfortable positions, and they stayed still for hours, before they had to fight them and capture them.

His body was all sore, that was the reason he got home early.

So Hermione arrived at the club fuming, and entered. Caroline wasn't there, she had a family emergency to take care of, so she was alone.

Heading straight for the bar, she asked for a Butterbeer.

"It's on me" she heard a voice saying, and the bartender nodded.

She turned to see a very handsome man, with dark brown hair, an hint of beard, dark blue eyes, and a body she could tell was well-fitted.

"Hi, I'm Albert Fourder" the man said, extending his hand to her.

"Hi, I'm Hermione Granger" she said, smiling and shaking his hand. "Thanks for the drink"

"No problem"

They started chatting, about work, but other things too.

"So, have you ever been to the United States?" he asked her.

"No, I would like to go though. I've heard it's amazing there, and the Magical World is better organized than here"

"Well, I live there, I work in the New York Magical Hospital, but I tell you, it is not so wonderful as you may have heard. Yes, we're a bit better organised than here, especially the Ministry seems to do his job better, but it's not this perfection"

"So, you're a healer too. What are your strengths, what can you heal better?" she asked, intrigued by this man.

"Well, I find myself at ease with cursing and hexes, not really much into healing wounds from magical beasts and so on" he said, taking a sip of his Firewhiskey.

"Me too, it's amazing how much we share" Hermione heard herself saying, and wondered. It was true, they had lots in common. This man seemed to think House-Elves conditions were something to improve too.

"So, you're here alone. Why? Is it possible that such a gorgeous young woman has not a boyfriend?" the man asked.

She thought about Harry, but angered at his behaviour, and feeling that suspicion of him cheating on her return, she let instinct cloud her judgement and shook her head. "Nope, I don't" she said, blushing a bit at his compliments.

"Would you like to dance?" he asked her.

"I would love to" she replied, taking his hand. So they entered the dance floor, and she found herself enjoying it. She felt at ease with this man, and he was good-looking too.

She wondered if she was doing the right thing, after all she had a boyfriend waiting for her at home, but decided she did not care.

Too bad for him if he had chosen to stay home. Evidently he did not love her enough to put up with her needs.

Later, they went to the balcony to get some fresh air.

After a bit more chatting and star-gazing, Albert made his move, placing a feather-like kiss on her lips, and gentlemanly giving her the chance to back away.

She didn't, although a fleeting thought of Harry passed through her mind again, and feeling anger well up inside her again, she found herself kissing him back, and running her tongue on his lower lip to deepen the kiss.

They stayed there, snogging, for some time, before she decided she better go back home.

They exchanged ways to contact each other, Hermione carefully avoiding to give her home address to him, so the letters would be brought to the office, and then she went back home to find Harry waiting up for her.

That was something she did not expect.

"Had a nice night?" he asked smiling warmly at her.

She nodded, and claimed to be knackered, so she went straight into the bathroom to take make up off, locking the door.

The gaze Harry had given her as soon as he came home made her melt, and she wondered if she had done the right thing that night, kissing a stranger that way.

After some time, she decided a good night's sleep was what she needed to clear her thoughts.

Next day, she spoke with Caroline about that.

The other girl was dumbfounded.

"You were so worked up about you cheating on you that time, and now you go and kiss a stranger like that?"

Hermione felt nervous at her cheating pointed out that way.

"Well, we do not have proof he has not cheated on me, do we?" she said.

"Hermione, this is not my business, but you're a friend so I'll give you my opinion all the same. I think you did an huge mistake" the girl said, leaving her office.

Hermione sighed. Maybe Caroline was right.

But Albert had been so sweet, and she felt so connected to him, it just felt right.

In the following months, many times she saw the American Healer. Almost always he would come to England, as with her strict schedule, and Harry at home, she could not disappear for hours, could she?

Every time an owl from him would come in, Caroline would shake her head, sighing.

Hermione knew what the girl thought of what she was doing, sneaking behind Harry's back like that, but she couldn't help it.

She felt strongly attracted by Albert, and lately things with Harry got even worse.

Now, wherever he would kiss her, and try to touch her, she would do that without much emotion, and if he tried to do something romantic together, she would always find an excuse to refuse, and that made him mad, so for days they would not speak. Then he would try again, with the same results.

That night, she left him a note she had a late call at the hospital, and not to wait for her.

Then she put on a black satin dress, that clutched her forms perfectly, with a bare back and a quite deep V-neck, one dress she had never wore for Harry yet, and Apparated to the restaurant she had to meet Albert at.

There he spotted her, and grinned.

"My, you're gorgeous tonight, Hermione" he said, placing a peck on her lips. She giggled, and blushed.

"You're quite handsome yourself" she said, while he pulled her chair to make her sit.

Trough dinner they were quiet, just exchanging opinions on the latest healing discoveries, then they set for a walk hand in hand.

Hermione smiled warmly at him, and entwined their fingers together.

The weather was a bit chilly, they were in October now, so he put his jacket on her shoulders, and draped an arm around her, pulling her close.

She leaned into him, and enjoyed the walk.

Finally, the moment of parting came. She accompanied him to his hotel, and there she boldly kissed him hungrily, to which he replied as eagerly.

Then, she got back home, transfiguring her dress into plain clothes, in case Harry was still awake.

He wasn't, and she released the breath she didn't realize she was holding.

Sitting on the couch, she thought.

She was utterly confused by her feelings.

It was not like she didn't love Harry, she did, and lots. But, she doubted that maybe they weren't that suited to be a couple and spend their lives together.

Plus, she doubted he loved her truly. And Albert instead, made her feel so loved…and she felt attracted to him too. Maybe she was even falling for him.

Sighing, knowing this was not something she could find on a book, she resigned to another night of tormented sleep.

As soon as she entered the bed, Harry shifted and got her in his arms, automatically. She silently cried herself to sleep, not knowing what to do.

The first days of December, Harry got called outside England on a long chase of some French Dark Wizards suspected to be helping the hidden Death Eaters. He would be gone for at least two or three days, so Hermione got the chance to go herself to the U.S.A. and see Albert, for once.

She Apparated directly to his hospital, and he greeted her warmly.

They had lunch together, and then he called the hospital to take the afternoon off, and led her trough the city for sightseeing.

They walked hand in hand most of the time, and he showed her the Empire State Building, Central Park, Fifth Avenue, and then she asked if he could show her Ground Zero.

His expression darkened, but he nodded, and led her there.

"My, what a tragedy that was" she whispered, seeing where the Twin Towers had been standing.

"Yes, it was. New York was in total chaos, and even though the Muggles did not know that, lots of Wizards died or were injured that day. The hospital was a continuous breeze of new cases coming in…and then I uncovered a dead body, and it was Grace, my girlfriend" he remembered, sadly.

"I'm sorry to have reawaken such memories" she said, seeing his eyes moisten.

"It's nothing. She's dead, and I can do nothing to bring her back. Plus, I've got you now, don't I?" he said, placing a sweet kiss on her lips.

"Yeah, you do" she smiled against his mouth, just a little bit of her brain wondering what she was going to do with Harry.

"I've got an idea. Why don't you come over for Christmas? We can spend it together, it will be so fun. I'll show you how much New York is beautiful at Christmas, with snow, the giant Christmas Tree at Rockfeller center…"

She smiled, shaking her head. As much as she would love to, she knew it was not possible. She could not miss Christmas at the Burrow without raising questions, and so on.

"Albert, I think that would be lovely, but I use to not celebrate Christmas" she lied. "Since I've lost my family I busy myself in work, that day"

"Oh, that's sad. But come on, we can make it a great day for you, you'll not feel their absence. I can understand that celebrating it alone would be sad, but we are together…"

She smiled again. He was so sweet…

"Really, Albert. They died on an accident on Christmas Day, I don't feel like celebrating it yet" she said, knowing it was an huge lie, but it was the only thing she could think of to not accept his offer.

"Oh, ok then. Pity, it would have been great"

Soon later, she Apparated back home, and entered her bed, a turmoil of emotions in her chest. She was more and more confused.

Christmas came, and as usual Harry and her headed to the Burrow to join the Weasleys.

Draco and Ginny were there, as well as Bill, Fleur, Ron, Luna, the twins and all the others.

Molly prepared her usual stew, something really delicious, and lots of pudding, and other cakes. There were crackers too, and Draco and Ginny pulled together on one.

It broke freeing a white rabbit that started running around the house.

All of them laughed heartily, but Hermione who joined in the laughter more to not raise suspicions than for real amusement.

She missed Albert, and wondered what was he doing, alone in New York.

Harry led her in the middle of the living room to join the other couples dancing, and she went, but her heart was somewhere else.

New Year's Eve passed mostly at the same way, Ron, Draco and Harry lighting fireworks for everyone with the twins, Luna and Ginny lovingly passing time with their boyfriends, and she thinking to a brown haired wizard in U.S.A.

She felt like Harry and her were by now almost strangers, they saw each other so little, and when they did they now fought a lot.

She couldn't shake the thought that maybe it was her fault, but at the same time, she could not help herself to be attracted by Albert. She thought maybe she was getting over Harry, and that she did not love him truly, too.

In January, Albert invited her to a really classy restaurant in London, and she found a way to go without Harry being upset by her absence. Not that he had ever questioned her, he simply knew her work kept her busy as his own did to him, so it was ok to him if she would not show up at dinner.

He escorted her to their table, and as usual pulled out her chair. She smiled at him.

"I've missed you lots this period" she said. It was the truth.

"I missed you too. I felt like I was drowning, without you with me" he said, looking at her with those blue eyes that lately made her melt.

They ate quietly, and then, when dinner was almost done, he got on one knee, pulling out a small box from his pocket and opening it, just to reveal an simple gold band with a small diamond on it.

"Hermione Jane Granger, will you marry me?" he asked, looking straight in her eyes.

She did not know what to say, images of Harry came to her, then images of the times she shared with Albert.

He nervously waited, then she smiled, and nodded, before kissing him softly.

"Yes, I'll marry you"

He grinned, and slipped the ring on her finger.

Then she walked him to his hotel, although he insisted he knew London well enough now to not get lost, and then walked home, charming the ring so that only she and Albert would see it.

Sighing, she knew that was it. She and Harry were through.

One week later, she found the chance to tell him.

Inviting him at lunch, she nervously fidgeted with her hair.

"Hermione, love, you're nervous. There's something you want to tell me?"

"Harry, I think we should stop being together"

There, she had dropped the bomb.

He looked at her blankly.

"I see. I guess there's someone else in your life, then"

"No, it is not that way…" she started , but he cut her.

"Hermione, I'm not stupid. You almost never missed dinner before that party, and then you started doing that, first at times, then more frequently. I'm not an Auror for nothing, Hermione. I can drag my conclusions from clues. I just hoped things could go back to normal soon, but if this bloke makes you happy, well, I'm happy for you" he said, leaving before tears started spilling on his face.

She stared at the spot where he had been in shock. He knew, but never said a thing…such a gentleman he had been, when he had every right to yell at her and kick her from their flat…she wondered exactly why he did that. After all, she was pretty sure he did not love her that deeply to close an eye on something this huge.

A couple months later, Hermione left England, transferring to New York. There, she planned her wedding alone, not having the heart to tell her mother she was going to wed.

Anne Granger loved Harry as a son, and Hermione knew she would never understand her reasons. So she simply told her she had been moved to a more important hospital in the U.S.A. That was not a complete lie, as Albert had arranged for her a spot there.

Caroline was distraught to see her go, although the girl gained her place as top healer at St. Mungo's. She was losing her best friend, and she still felt Hermione was doing a big mistake in leaving Harry.

In summer, the wedding took place, a small ceremony for which the lie she told Albert about her parents being dead came useful, as she did not invite them. Nor she invited any of her friends.

Well, in reality she had invited Caroline, but the girl did not come.

Hermione sighed, knowing very well she was alone in her choice. No one would understand. But she felt she did the right thing.

Months later, she finally found the courage to tell her mother the truth.

She Apparated to her childhood house.

After greetings, and a cup of tea, she spoke.

"Mum, I've got to reveal you something. I got married"

"What? Why didn't you tell me?" Anne asked in shock.

Hermione did not respond.

Her mother sighed. "Well, honey, I would have liked to be there, but the important is that you and Harry are happy…"

"I'm not married to Harry, mum. This is why I moved in the U.S.A. I'm married to an American wizard, his name is Albert Fourder"

"What has happened to the Harry you proclaimed to love so much?"

Hermione sighed. "I guess we were not suited"

"Bullocks"

"What?"

"I said, bullocks. If I've seen someone suited in my life, it was you two" her mother said angrily.

That was what Hermione had wanted to avoid.

"Mum, please. I've lived with him for an year more or less. I can tell if I'm suited to him or not. We aren't"

"And why is that?" her mother asked sceptically.

"Because we never are at home together, our jobs keep us apart, and I felt we were not going to make it. He seemed pretty comfortable with the situation, I was not. Plus, I got suspects he could be cheating on me…"

"Bullocks again"

"How can you know?" Hermione shouted, enraged.

"Because he's in love with you, dear. Always been, always will" her mother said. "But clearly you were too wrapped up in your work to notice, and got doubts" Anne added rolling her eyes.

After a rough fight with her mother, who told her to not come home anymore, because if she was so stupid to throw away happiness with her soul mate for an handsome man, she clearly did not deserve a loving family, Hermione Apparated back to her and Albert's home, in tears. Luckily, he was not home yet, so she got the chance to calm herself before seeing him, or he would have questions she could not answer to. .

Time passed, and life was good for her, apart not hearing her mother anymore. She made her way to be Director of Healing Processes in the hospital, and she shared an happy life with Albert, even on the sexual point of view.

And, every night they would be together at home, preparing dinner together, sharing laughs, and then afterwards cuddling on the couch, in front of the TV, or simply chatting. Or, they would take away the stress of the day going to have dinner to some nice restaurant and relaxing.

But, there was an hole in her life. They had no children yet. She had told him she wanted to wait, to make her career, but truth was, although she had thought she had left Harry back and got over him, every time she had sex with her husband she kept desiring to be with Harry. And after that, she would find herself daydreaming about him, at times.

She could not bring herself to give Albert a child when she wanted that badly it to be the child of someone else.

"I guess I've never really stopped to love him" she sighed packing her work bag and Apparating home.


-->