Unofficial Portkey Archive

What Once Was Lost by Bingblot
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

What Once Was Lost

Bingblot

Disclaimer: See the first part.

Author's Note: The end of this fic, for good. Thank you all for reading and reviewing!

Epilogue:

For Friendship's Sake

Harry's eyes wandered-inevitably, as they always did-to Hermione as she chatted with Bill and Fleur. Unconsciously, his smile softened fleetingly, before he turned his attention back to Ron.

Ron noticed the momentary lapse of Harry's concentration with the equanimity that came from having seen it all too often before-and while he had, at first, been completely stunned at the knowledge that Harry and Hermione, his best friend and his former wife, were in love, he had come to accept and realize that they were much better suited together and to be happy that they were together.

On that thought, Ron changed the subject rather abruptly. "You really love her, don't you." It was a statement rather than a question.

Harry looked momentarily discomfited but he nodded and answered simply, "Yes."

"How long?" Ron asked, with rather uncharacteristic terseness-something he had wondered before but never before put into words.

Harry flinched but he met Ron's eyes directly and answered with the honesty that their years of friendship deserved. "Since 7th year and the final battle."

Ron caught his breath, his eyes widening in surprise. He'd never known, never even suspected that Harry might have more than friendly feelings for Hermione back then… For so long-and he and Hermione had been together then… Harry had loved Hermione and then stood up with him as his best man when he married Hermione… "Dear Merlin," he breathed-and then stiffened as he realized something else. "That was why you left right after the wedding; it wasn't just wanting to get away from your fame, was it."

Slowly, Harry nodded.

Ron continued quietly, "It was because you didn't want to risk getting in between me and Hermione, wasn't it?"

Harry hesitated almost imperceptibly, a flicker of some expression Ron couldn't quite read passing over his face, before he nodded again, just once. It wasn't a lie, Harry thought, it simply wasn't the complete truth either. He was-not for the first time-very glad that he had done what he had, that he hadn't stayed to risk completely betraying Ron's trust and Ron's friendship. He felt a momentary pang of renewed guilt at the one kiss he and Hermione had shared-that one, never-forgotten kiss-before he'd left. It had been a betrayal-but one which Ron need never know, now, that all was right between the three of them.

"I don't-I don't know what to say," Ron finally said. After all, what could he say on finding out that his best friend had done so much, for the sake of friendship, for the sake of trust…

Harry shifted in his seat, looking ill at ease, now that the secret he'd kept from Ron for so many years was finally out.

Ron looked at Harry who was refusing to meet his eyes and knew at least one thing that needed to be said. "You know I'm happy for you two, right? I have no real regrets."

Harry finally met Ron's eyes, in some surprise at the seriousness of Ron's tone. The seriousness that Ron didn't often exhibit, made all the more striking by its very rarity.

Ron continued, quietly, his gaze now on Hermione and, then, Luna talking animatedly to Ginny. "I have no real regrets because I can see that things are better as they are now. I can't say that I'm sorry Hermione and I were together; I'm not and we were happy together and I did love her. But it's better as it is. I- I'm happy with Luna, happier than I ever was, and I think it'll last. And I can see that you and Hermione are happy together…" He paused and then glanced at Harry with a slight smile. "Just stay that way, okay?"

Harry's gaze returned to Hermione-who looked up at that moment and smiled, quickly, at Harry, before turning back to Fleur who had just begun to say something.

"We'll certainly try," Harry said softly.

"And, mate, one more thing," Ron added, meeting Harry's questioning eyes. "When you marry her, I claim the privilege of being best man." He paused. "As you were for me."

Harry smiled. "Done."

And so it was.

Three months later, Harry and Hermione were married in a very small, simple ceremony with only their nearest and dearest in attendance-Hermione's parents, the Weasleys, Remus and Tonks, and Professor McGonagall.

And while Hermione walked down the aisle alone-giving herself-she smiled as she met the eyes of, first, Ron standing beside Harry, and then, finally, Harry's eyes filled with love and not a little wonder.

And no one watching that day could doubt that, whatever might have happened in the past, on this day every member of the Trio was perfectly happy.

Ron smiled as he watched Hermione walk down the aisle to Harry, remembering the other time he had seen her walk down the aisle, not with any bitterness or even sorrow but simple acceptance and a vague feeling of remembered warmth. She was radiant today, glowing with love and happiness and absolute certainty that this was right. He met her eyes briefly before her gaze moved on to Harry as she stopped at Harry's side.

He let his gaze wander to Luna's, his heart warming at the love he could see in her eyes and her smile. And Ron thought, yes, this is the way it's supposed to be. Harry, Hermione, be happy and I'll be happy for you both.

And Harry thought, thank you, gratitude at whatever Higher Power there might be, who had given him this, that he was marrying Hermione with Ron by his side and happy for them. There was nothing more in the world he wanted.

And Hermione thought, yes, this joy would last… From this moment and for always…

~The End~

A heart that once was broken
Can now finally mend.
A person once alone in life
Can now call you a friend.

Dreams that once were longed for
Are now all coming true.
The love I once thought was gone
I have now and forever in you.

- Dawn Ballard