Unofficial Portkey Archive

Unwritten by MeiQueen
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Unwritten

MeiQueen

-*-

Unwritten

Mei Queen

-*-

Authoress' Note: I know it's ridiculously late. I'm not even going to try to excuse myself on this one. I'm just really sorry, guys.

-*-

Chapter 4: It's Just Honest

"Padfoot, I don't know what I'm going to do," James Potter groaned, putting his head in his hands. It was a week after James and Lily Evans' disastrous talk by the fire, something that had caused plenty of awkwardness between the pair for the past few days. Neither was sure what to say to the other, so they simply tried to avoid one another. James had taken the time to try to figure out his next move. He felt like he was playing a very difficult game of chess with Lily. One wrong move and I might not have another shot at winning the game, he thought wryly, fishing the beaten-up Golden Snitch out of his trunk.

At the moment he was hiding out in his lavish bedroom, talking to Sirius Black through the mirrors the pair used when they couldn't physically be together.

"What happened that night, Prongs?"

James snorted with irritation, releasing the Snitch from his fist to let it trail an aimless path through the air. "Lily had a ruddy breakdown over nothing. All I did was ask her how her holiday was, and she saw fit to remind me that just because we were working together 'didn't mean that we were going to or had to be friends'. She was the one saying to come back 'deflated' before summer, but if she doesn't talk to me, how is she supposed to know I'm 'deflated'? Is 'deflating' something one just observes through osmosis or something?"

Sirius chuckled. "Well, mate, it looks like you've got quite the situation on your hands."

"What should I do, Padfoot?" James asked, completely confused, nabbing the Snitch as he did so.

"You need to think of a way to convince her that you are deflated, and that you did in fact listen to what she asked you to do. Be so sincere and polite that she'll drive herself crazy trying to find reasons to dislike you, Prongs. Eventually she won't be able to think of any reasons," Sirius added confidently, hopping over the missing step as he continued down the corridor.

James nodded. "That's good advice, Padfoot, thanks. I'm going to try. She might kill me in the process, but I'm still going to give it a shot."

"That's what I like to hear," he replied with a grin. "But anyway, Prongs, I've got to go…detention with Slughorn, and I'm about to knock on his door."

"Already? Kudos, mate, it takes talent to get 'ol Sluggy mad at you this early in the term!"

"Thanks, Prongs!" Sirius added brightly, looking genuinely pleased with the compliment.

"You're welcome, have fun." Commanding the mirrors to sever their connection, James sighed, looking up at his door. He thought he heard rustling in the common room. That sound must mean that the Head Girl was finally back. She had taken to studying in the Library until its closing time with Eduina, simply so she wouldn't have to start awkward conversation with James. It may have made her ridiculously prepared for her NEWTs, but James knew Lily Evans well enough to know that Lily would have much rather been doing something else with her free time. It makes me slightly guilty that she has to avoid me like this, James thought, expression pained. I should go talk to her.

Opening the door, he was just in time to see Lily's door clicking shut.

Probably better. New day, new start, James thought with a yawn, heading back towards his comfortable duvet.

-

Groggily waking up the next morning and pulling herself out of bed, Lily Evans grabbed some clothes and hopped in the shower. I was up too late last night…I need to stop hanging out down at the Library. I don't even want to be there, I just don't know what to say to Potter. I guess that's what really makes me feel bad; she thought with a sigh, rinsing the conditioner out of her hair as her thoughts wandered. I'm just avoiding him. I never gave him a shot, like I said I would last year. Would it really be so bad to give him a shot? I mean, yes, he's a prat who really needs to grow up, but call me crazy…he seems a bit more mature. He seems more genuine than he used to, so that's a good thing. I'll give it some time… maybe things will change between us.

Stepping out of the shower, she changed into an outfit and magically dried her hair. Time to face the Marauder…

-

James Potter sat on the cushy armchair by the Heads' fireplace, waiting for Lily to be done with her shower. He rubbed his eyes in exhaustion, the lack of sleep very apparent on his features. A click from the bathroom door brought him to attention.

"You can use it," Lily called tentatively from the doorframe.

"Thanks. Listen, Lily…I wanted to talk to you about what happened by the fireplace."

"When?"

James sighed, meeting her emerald eyes impatiently. "You know what I'm talking about. When I tried to be friendly and you brutally rebuffed me."

The Head Girl propped an arm on her hip in indignation, scoffing. "There was no 'brutal rebuffing', thank you."

"Sure there wasn't, Lily. Anyway, I just wanted to see if there was any way we could maintain a civil relationship this year. We do have to work together. I don't want you to feel like you have to disappear to the Library anytime you know that I'll be in here."

She sighed, running a hand through her hair. Lily Evans really hated it when she was wrong, especially when it meant that James Potter was right. But at the moment, even her incredible pride couldn't stop herself from admitting, "You're right. I'm sorry. I overreacted."

James opened his mouth to retort the snarky comment he was positive he was going to receive, but was surprised to find that it didn't come. I'm sorry? Did Lily just…apologise to me? No way. "Did I not hear you correctly? Did you say you were sorry?"

The redhead sputtered in incoherent irritation for a moment before taking a deep breath to reply. The arse has to just rub salt in the wound doesn't he? Doesn't he realize how hard it is to apologise to someone you don't really get along with? "Yes. I did. You were trying to be friendly, and I shouldn't have acted how I did. We can be civil."

James Potter allowed himself a crooked grin, blushing slightly at his good fortune. Lily Evans just apologised to me. Maybe there is hope for us, after all.

­-

The pair had a remarkably amiable morning. Lily was actually waiting for James to be done with his shower to leave, in an extraordinary attempt at reconciliation. James Potter, self-assured teenager, felt his jaw drop as he walked into the Common Room to find Lily huffily tapping her foot against the floor, sunk into the cushions of the couch.

"Could you please take shorter showers? We'll be late for breakfast," the redhead muttered, glancing up at him with irritation.

James stuttered in confusion, trying to figure out what was going on. "Uh…um…I'm sorry? I didn't even know you were waiting. We've been here two weeks and we've walked down to breakfast separately every time."

Lily sighed, crossing her arms. Does he have to make me feel like a bloody alien for just trying to be nice? "Sorry, didn't know you minded."

He immediately realized his mistake. "I don't at all, Lily, I'm glad for the company. Really. Maybe let me know you're waiting next time, though."

The Head Girl grinned despite herself. "Who says they'll be a next time?"

"Like you could resist that Potter charm, Evans," James quipped with a grin.

Rolling her eyes, Lily got up from the couch. "Alright, let's go then."

-

Okay, Padfoot said that I should be so nice to her that she doesn't know what to do, James mentally recited, falling into step beside Lily as they got out into the corridor. So…what would be the gentleman thing to do?

"Can I carry your books?" James asked earnestly, meeting Lily's eyes with his own hazel.

Lily's stunning green eyes widened. "What? Are you kidding?"

He shook his head. "No, I'm not kidding, I really want to carry them for you."

She smiled, face colouring slightly. "Not that I'm complaining, but who are you and what have you done with the Head Boy? We have a meeting with Dumbledore later, and I don't want to explain the real James' peculiar absence. Besides, I can carry them myself."

James chuckled slightly. "Oh, come on, I'm not that bad…and I know you can carry them, you're not helpless. That's why I want to help you, I suppose."

Lily quirked an eyebrow at his bizarre response. "So…if I really were handicapped, you wouldn't help me? That's a bit off."

"That didn't come out right, did it? I mean…I appreciate your self-sufficiency. That's why I want to help you however I can, just because I know you can do it yourself, but I want to do it for you."

She stopped in her tracks, tilting her head suspiciously. "Why?"

He thought deeply for a moment, before chuckling softly. "You know what? I haven't the slightest."

Lily sighed but relented, handing over her texts. "Eloquent you're not, James. But thank you, for your honesty and for carrying them."

Performing a small charm to make them feather-light (much to Lily's sharp dismay: "No ruddy magic in the corridors! You're the Head Boy, James, try to accept some responsibility!"), he tucked the books under his arm. "You're very welcome, Miss Evans."

-

The day passed quickly, and the time for the appointment with Dumbledore came much sooner than either of them would have preferred. At the end of dinner, James walked over from where he had been sitting with the Marauders to where Lily and Eduina were apparently absorbed in a deep debate, one that made James' heart sink slightly when he got within hearing distance.

"Wilkinson is the hottest boy in the school, Edie. No contest."

"No way, Lily," the brunette stubbornly retorted, crossing her arms over her chest. "You can't let your disagreement or whatever it is with Potter interfere with your judgment on this. The Marauders are the hottest in the school."

James allowed himself a slight grin.

"James and I aren't arguing so much anymore, and I'm not saying that they're not attractive, but Henry Wilkinson looks like Michelangelo's 'David', for Merlin's sake. Tan, blonde curls, bright blue eyes…it's a lethal combination, my friend," Lily replied with a dreamy sigh.

"Uh-huh. He's an idiot."

Lily rolled her eyes. "I admit, the Marauders are considerably smarter, yeah…"

Eduina laughed hollowly. "Considerably? Lily, Wilkinson barely scraped four owls fifth year. He's that dumb. I think they passed him simply because they didn't want to deal with him for an extra year, for chrissakes."

"I agree," James interjected with a laugh.

Eduina smiled at the interruption, but Lily didn't look quite as thrilled. He sighed, explaining, "We need to go to the Headmaster's, remember? Head's meeting."

Nodding slowly in recognition, the Head Girl got up and shouldered her bag, bidding Eduina goodbye and following James out of the Hall.

Making sure they were out of earshot, she angrily turned to James, whispering, "So, what, you eavesdrop on me now? I'm sorry, maybe I missed a memo, but I thought that civil acquaintances didn't do things like that!"

James felt himself stuttering slightly and he could feel his face heating up. He didn't need this, after all, it wasn't even his fault, and he had only wanted to make sure Lily remember the meeting that they had. "I don't want to fight with you, especially since I'm 'smarter' but not 'cuter' than Henry Wilkinson. Let's just get this meeting over with and then we can argue. Does that work for you?"

She sputtered incoherently under her breath for a few moments, face getting rosy with anger, but eventually nodded.

"Cockroach Cluster," James muttered irritably. Let's just get this stupid meeting over with. And that Wilkinson better consider himself lucky if he doesn't run into me anytime soon…I'll hex the bloke's head off.

­-

"So how have your first couple weeks as Head Students been? Have you gotten that patrol schedule done like I asked?" Albus Dumbledore asked after offering both of them seats and some sweets.

Unsure of who should go first, there were a few moments of silence before Lily finally spoke up, handing over a sheet of parchment. "Yes, sir, the schedule is done…we paired the prefects with their counterparts so everything worked out quite nicely."

"I'm glad to hear that, Miss Evans. Now who do we have patrolling on the weekends?"

James tapped his finger to his chin thoughtfully when Lily didn't respond. "I believe it's the fifth year Slytherins on Fridays, sixth year Slytherins Saturdays, fifth year Hufflepuffs Sundays..."

"That's the first week," Lily nodded. "What was the second again?"

Dumbledore reached across his desk to grab the parchment that Lily had brought, bringing it very close to his old eyes. Pushing his glasses a bit closer to his eyes, he read off, "The second week…it looks like we've got fifth year Ravenclaws Friday, fifth year Gryffindors Saturday, and sixth year Hufflepuffs Sundays."

The Head students nodded in recognition.

Dumbledore's nose scrunched in thoughtfulness. "That's not going to work."

Lily couldn't help a look of shock spreading across her face. She never said she was perfect, don't get her wrong, but she and James had spent a long time making sure that the schedule fit perfectly. Nobody was too unfairly discriminated against…it was actually pretty well-done, in her opinion. No professor had ever asked her to alter her work. She sighed. Friendly acquaintanceships with Potter, criticism from professors…it was definitely a day of firsts.

James, too, looked considerably surprised, but he seemed to regain his speech much faster. "But…why not, Professor?"

Albus Dumbledore let out a considerable sigh. It was moments like these that he hated his job. He loved being the person to welcome students, to form new minds. He thought it was the worst thing one could do to a young mind, imposing reality. And yet, that was exactly what he had to do, thanks to a gung-ho dark wizard and his cronies. "It's dangerous. The weekends are when the students get reckless. If there are any supporters of Voldemort in the ranks of Hogwarts, those are the times they would be out. I do not want to put my younger prefects in danger. I want weekends to be exclusively handled by seventh years. Namely, you two."

Their jaws dropped. That was three days a week, for two hours a day…Lily found herself mentally calculating. He's asking us to do…six hours of patrolling a week, unpaid…and worst of it all, together. Oh, dear Merlin.

"Y…you can't be serious," James stuttered, regarding the redhead next to him with what apprehension. I know she said we were friendly acquaintances or whatnot, but she started an argument already once today…over nothing…well…eavesdropping…but she can hardly blame me. I heard my name, for Agrippa's sake… I can only imagine how many fights we'll have when we're forced to spend six hours a week together. Not even any old six hours, either…the six hours the rest of the student population would be spending cuddling with their respective significant others. Lily's going to love this.

Sure enough, Lily finally managed to regain control of her hanging jaw, shrieking, "This is unfair! This is six hours a week, Professor! This means that some of our Prefects won't even have to do…to do…anything!"

Dumbledore stroked his beard. "Just do shifts with the Prefects. They can alternately work the weekdays, just schedule them in. If you two desperately need a day off, use the other seventh years as your alternates. I understand that this is asking a lot, but you two are some of the most capable students in the school. I know that in the event of a skirmish, you would both be level-headed and thinking of what would be best for the student population as a whole, not just for yourselves. That is why I need you to do this for me. I realize that it's inconvenient, but I really would appreciate it if you agreed."

Lily felt her anger subsiding, and felt the guilt and embarrassment washing over her for reacting so childishly. Slowly sitting back down in her chair, she meekly nodded. James followed suit, and before long Dumbledore dismissed them with a cheery "It's time for Friday night patrol".

"We know," Lily mumbled as she nodded to James for opening the door for her. "We're going."

-

Lily Evans felt herself sighing hopelessly as she concentrated on putting one foot in front of the other, trudging slowly down the Charms corridor. When did I become so whiny and dramatic? This isn't me…I don't even like people like that. Maybe it's Potter. Being around him makes me mad, and I wish I knew why. Why does he get to me the way that he does? Like today with that Wilkinson thing. I probably shouldn't have yelled at him, I did say his name, after all. He had only wanted to walk with me to Dumbledore's. Or…was I mad because he heard me saying that I didn't think he was the most attractive? Well. That's just ludicrous. Why would I care about Potter's feelings?

"Lily? You okay?"

James Potter's voice had jogged her out of her depressing and altogether confusing thoughts.

"Yeah, I'm fine, thanks…how much longer do we have to do this? There isn't even anyone out here. They're all actually smart, off pissed or snogging. Now that's the right way to spend a Friday night, not bloody doing this," Lily found herself muttering irritably. She hadn't even really been listening to herself, but when James stopped in shock, staring at her, she was forced to try to remember what she had said. Oh, bugger, that probably crosses the 'personal sharing' boundary between the Head Students…mainly, I just hadn't intended to let Potter know about those bits of my life…

"Lily Evans has been pissed?"

Oh, that. "Well, yeah…I mean…who hasn't?"

"When? I thought you were this perfect angel that never did anything wrong! You have officially ruined all of my fantasies of you forever, Lily," James replied with a pout. To her great surprise, Lily felt her face break out into a smile. If I only had a Galleon for everyone that had misjudged me that way…I'm not a party girl type, true, but I have had a bit of fun in my day, thank you. I'm not a prude.

"I'm so sorry for ruining your perfectly good fantasies, James. My family is pretty liberal, they don't really mind me drinking a bit…but my friends and I have had quite a few fun nights in our day. I could probably drink you under the table," she replied with a giggle. They both knew it wasn't true in the slightest, simply because of their physical makeup, but she felt like challenging him anyway.

Grinning, he replied, "Well, Miss Evans, I would love to see you try."

Lily smiled. "So do you think that working with me will be that bad?"

Scoffing, he replied, "Please. Do you know what I would have paid a few years ago to have you forced to hang out with me for six hours a week? This is like a dream come true, bizarrely enough."

The redhead cocked her head to the side, analysing her partner with her glinting green eyes. He certainly doesn't have any qualms with complete honesty, that's for sure. But he's actually pretty funny, surprisingly enough. Maybe some common ground, even if it was something as juvenile as drinking, was what we needed…at least we have something to talk about now, instead of just relentlessly arguing. The fights do get a bit exhausting.

"You don't have a problem being honest, do you?" Lily asked with a smile, shaking her head and turning to continue walking down the corridor.

"I don't see why I would," James replied, shrugging his shoulders and falling into step beside her. "Telling the truth can completely wreck your life, but if you don't say anything…well…then your life will always stay the same. I like change, so I prefer life to take me where it may. I believe in telling the people I care about how I feel while I have the chance."

She felt a blush creeping up her cheeks. "Well…thank you. That's sweet."

He shrugged, smiling. "It's just honest."

-