Unofficial Portkey Archive

Remember To Forget by dumbles
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Remember To Forget

dumbles

Title: Remember To Forget

Rating: PG-13

Summary: Towards the end of a very strange seventh year, Hermione is attacked late one night by an unknown assailant. It is this attack that causes her memory to reset, taking her mind back six months… back to when she was dating Ron, not Harry…

Authors Notes: Ok, well, hi… this is the first full length fan fic I have written in so long! It has taken me about two months to write this, which is pretty good cause I can only work on it at weekends when my partner is away and doesn't take the computer with him!!!

A few things inspired me to write this fic. I've just started a new job in data entry, so I'm listening to my iPod all day. And it was listening to the following songs that got me thinking and I ended up having this idea…

Let Go by Waking Ashland

Take Me Back by The Ataris

Slowdance On The Inside by Taking Back Sunday

There's No I In Team by Taking Back Sunday

Summer of 79 by The Ataris

Looking Back On Today by The Ataris

My Reply by The Ataris

Edinger by Waking Ashland

Konstantine by Something Corporate

Punk Rock Princess by Something Corporate

These are the songs that end up on repeat when I'm thinking about this fic. The most important song to the development of this fic was the first one, Let Go by Waking Ashland. Most important about that song was a couple of lines that shaped the whole story arc…

You danced with me in the moonlight

And I found my theme

Like roses bloom you inspired me

And the break of day fell upon me

And the light outshone

And you broke the spell that had kept me from loving you

I came to you for answers

I left confused

From listening to that several times a day at work, the general shape of the story came about. For about a week my desk drawer was filled with little scraps of paper with notes scribbled on them with ideas and edits.

And now I'm finished and it's ready for you to read. I apologise for the long introduction, but I wanted to give you the full background on the story.

Enjoy, and don't forget to review!!!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Prologue

She woke and looked around, pulling her legs up to her body and shaking. Where was she? She stood up and noticed that her robe was all ripped and her head was aching. A noise to her right startled her and she jumped.

Ron and Harry burst out of the bushes, looking wild and panicked. All three of them just stared at each other for a few moments, before Harry reached her in two steps and picked her up gently and started to walk back the way he came.

She looked at his face, confused. The feeling passed quickly as she blacked out, knowing she was safe…

'Have you seen her?' Harry asked Ron, sitting down at his best friends table in the library. Ron looked at him, perplexed.

'Hermione?'

'Yes, Hermione, who else would I be looking for.'

'Um, she was here, but mentioned something about having to feed Fang,' Ron said, scratching his chin with his quill and getting back to his essay.

'How long ago?'

'Christ, ease up Harry,' Ron said, looking up again. 'It was, I dunno, bout half hour ago.'

'Fuck,' Harry muttered. 'Ron- she wasn't feeding Fang, she was meeting me.'

'Duh, I'm not dumb,' Ron said rolling his eyes.

'Ron, she never made it. And you know Hermione- she's…'

'Never late.'

The two boys just stared at each other, before sprinting out of the library and down the stairs. Normally they would go find their friend themselves, but things had changed, and they had grown up a lot. They went to the only person they felt the could trust- Professor McGonagle.

'We've got her!' Ron called as they burst out of the undergrowth. Minerva came running over and gasped as she looked at the girl in Harry's arm. She looked like she had been beaten to a pulp. Her robes were all ripped and her face was black and blue.

'Potter, get her to the hospital wing,' she said evenly.

~*~

Harry paced the corridor outside the hospital wing. It had been over an hour since they had dropped Hermione off and been shooed out by Madam Pomfrey. And they hadn't had a single word since- not a single word.

'Calm down, mate, she'll be ok,' Ron said reassuringly. Harry managed a small smile, knowing that if Ron believed what he had just said, he wouldn't be pacing with Harry the way he was.

They had gotten themselves into a very complicated triangle. Harry had been delighted, yet disappointed and angry when he had found out at the start of the school year that his two best friends were dating. It hadn't lasted long, with Hermione confiding in Harry that she felt 'suffocated'. She had ended it in November, after only two and a half months.

Ron, much to Harry's surprise, had taken the break up well. He had confided in Harry that he was glad it had ended when it did- it had made him realise that he wasn't as in love with Hermione as he thought.

Harry's own relationship with Hermione had started over New Year's. Ron had gone home and so had the rest of the Gryffindor's, leaving Harry and Hermione completely alone. It was over this period that they had realized what had been staring at them all along- Harry and Ginny had been dating on and off since the end of sixth year, but it was different with Hermione. Hermione understood him, and he understood her.

It had been like world war three when Ron and Ginny found out. Ginny still wouldn't talk to either of them- she said that Hermione had betrayed her. Ron had been furious at first, but calmed down quickly. He knew that Harry needed Hermione and he was happy for them.

The door to the hospital wing opened and Minerva came out, looking very grey and ashen. She conjured three chairs and indicated to Harry and Ron to sit.

'She's fine, as fine as she can be,' she told them both and they sighed in relief. 'There is only one problem.'

Harry and Ron looked at each other. They didn't like the tone of her voice.

'Miss Granger received several hard knocks to the head,' she started, sighing as well. 'Miss Granger is unable to remember anything past six months ago.'

'So she thinks… she thinks it's November?' Ron asked and Minerva nodded.

'She believes it is November. She also believes…' Minerva sighed heavily. She had known all the goings on in the romantic lives of these three people and she knew this was the hardest blow of all. 'She also believes that she is dating Mr Weasley, not Mr Potter'.