Unofficial Portkey Archive

Bearings by MattD12027
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Bearings

MattD12027

Bearings

Disclaimer/Author's Notes: JK Rowling owns Harry Potter. I've been humbled by your overwhelming support for this story and desire to see parts two and three. All that I can really say in response is a genuine "Thank You!" I hope that you are all as entertained by where this story is going as where it's come from. And now, the conclusion of part one…

Never knew I could feel like this
Like I've never seen the sky before
I want to vanish inside your kiss
Every day I'm loving you more and more
Listen to my heart, can you hear it sing
Telling me to give you everything
Seasons may change, winter to spring
But I love you until the end of time

Ewan McGregor

Come What May

Chapter Fourteen: The Plunge

Sunday, May 26th, 2002

Consciousness came to Hermione like a warm summer wind; she turned her head to the side and smiled as her eyes slid open. Her bedroom-yes, her bedroom, which she now shared with Harry-that was bathed in a faint light greeted them. She knew it was very early in the morning and decided not to wake Harry as she slipped from under the warm covers into the chillier air of the room.

Goosebumps immediately flashed out along her skin, of which all was exposed, so she slipped into sweat pants and an old shirt lying by the bedside. It smelled of Harry, and not unpleasantly, so she shrugged to herself and left her…lover…sleeping amongst the sheets.

She moved through the Manor silently, hoping not to wake John, Erin, or any of the House Elves, because they all needed their sleep. Hermione did want to check on John and Erin, though, to make sure they hadn't lost their marbles during the night, or something equally as unlikely. As she proceeded from the master suite into the guest section of her large house, she mused upon the events of the past few days.

To say they were a whirlwind would be an understatement, and she smiled to herself as she thought about how far and wide Harry had Apparated since two days prior, to finish up at the end of it all back in their bed, sound asleep. It was amazing how life could carry someone so far away for such myriad reasons, and then bring them back to where they started.

She wasn't only thinking of the past two days, either, as images of the past four years swept through her mind's eye. Harry had started off as the slave child of a despicable pair of human beings, had ended up saving countless people from a madman, and then had gone off to another country to go to uni. And now, after it all, here he was, back in Britain, and most importantly of all back in her arms.

And that was where he'd always belonged, she now knew-in her arms. She remembered very well telling him, at the end of their first year together, that he was a great wizard, and that there were more important things than books, like friendship and bravery and-

But she had never finished that sentence, because the look he had burned into her soul at that moment had solidified her feelings for him, though she didn't know it for sure until nearly three years later. Hermione's older, wizened mind new that final quality she had been about to list was love, but that was a hard word for a twelve-year-old to say, especially to a member of the opposite sex.

She blinked her eyes rapidly two or three times to focus on the present, and wondered at the depth of the history between her and Harry, and also between them and Ron; and further between the three of them and Ginny, Luna, and Neville. Theirs were relationships forged through the test of time and the chaos of battle. There was no way to describe them properly, except to say that they defied description. They simply existed, and Hermione had a sudden and very strong urge to get the six of them together again-or the eight of them, if she was counting John and Erin.

She now stood outside of their room, poised to quietly Alohomora the door to make sure they were still sane. She did so and, hoping that they weren't in the throws of passion or some other embarrassing scenario, pushed the door in just slightly.

There was John, tangled up in the sheets and sleeping very soundly. Early morning light fell across the foot of bed, where she only saw one pair of feet, and knew immediately that Erin wasn't in the room. The woman, who looked so much like Hermione, wasn't magical, so Hermione couldn't reach out with her magic and find her that way.

Hermione shut the door without a sound and looked around, seeking a clue to where Erin had gone. She spotted it after a moment-a door normally kept closed that led down a back hallway to a rear entrance on the main staircase, which was now open. Hermione moved in that direction, following the hallway as it opened up on the stairs through another door that had been, by the looks of it, thrown open. Hermione had heard nothing in the rest of the house; she looked up and knew by some intuition that Erin had ascended to third floor loft. She Apparated into the middle of the very large room, silently, and looked around for signs of the other woman.

A draft hit her face. She turned in that direction and saw her quarry: there, standing on the third floor balcony Harry had brought them to the evening before, was Erin, huddled against the morning chill and staring out across the faintly purple sky in the west. She looked almost mournful, standing out there on the high balcony with her arms wrapped around herself, and Hermione frowned slightly at the realization that Erin was probably somewhere between overwhelmed and frightened.

Hermione paced toward Erin, keeping her footsteps silent as she approached so that she could just observe. When she reached the open doors, she raised a hand and rapped her knuckles lightly against one of the large panes of glass. Erin started slightly and turned around, surprise and the last vestiges of sleep still written on her face.

"Sorry," Hermione said lowly, a small smile gracing her features. "Didn't mean to scare you."

Erin shook her head slowly; Hermione watched as straight brown locks swung around her head. "No, it's alright," Erin said. Hermione didn't know what to make of the slightly raspy tone of her voice. "But how did you find me?"

"Just followed the signs, is all," Hermione answered, moving out onto the balcony and standing next to Erin at the railing. "And besides, even in this massive place, there are only a few places one usually goes when one needs to think…"

"Yes, thinking…" Erin trailed off, turning to once again stare out across the grounds. The pitch dominated the view from this balcony, and Hermione suddenly realized that the Quidditch hoops probably looked awfully strange to Erin.

"You must think I'm being awfully stupid here, don't you?" Erin asked, slowly, after several long moments of silence. "The fact that I'm finding it very hard to believe all of this?"

"No," Hermione answered, shaking her head. "I don't think it's stupid at all. In fact, I've felt almost the exact same thing before."

Erin turned toward Hermione, leaning her side against the railing. Hermione cocked her head in that direction, seeing the befuddled eyes of Erin.

"What do you mean?"

"I didn't know magic was real until I was eleven."

"But…why?" Erin asked, still looking as though she couldn't believe she was participating in this conversation. Hermione had seen her brows knit together on the word `magic'.

"Both my parents are like you-non-magical, also known as Muggles. For some reason, and I have never been able to find a satisfactory answer, I was born with magic."

"But you didn't know until you were eleven?"

Hermione nodded. "Yes, it is the practice of the magical world to keep Muggleborns in the dark until they are of Hogwarts age, which is eleven."

"Hogwarts?" Erin asked. Hermione had to stifle a chuckle at how hard it would be to talk to John and Erin about the magical world for at least a little while. Their ignorance was truly total, though she knew that was through no fault of their own.

"The school of magic Harry and I went to for seven years," Hermione explained. "Magical children attend it from eleven to seventeen."

"Oh," was all Erin said, with a resigned sort of sigh. She turned back toward the grounds, leaning over the railing and resting her elbows on it. Her hair partly obscured her face from Hermione.

"What Harry said yesterday…about your world having problems. Is that true?"

"Unfortunately," Hermione said, staring at the screen of hair, wishing she could see the look on Erin's face, "yes."

"So why does he feel like he has to fix it all? Surely all of these problems aren't his to fix…" Erin trailed off. Hermione was impressed by her cool logic in the face of something so unbelievable, and her respect for Erin grew just a little bit.

"You're both right and wrong," Hermione started, assuming a similar position to Erin, so that she could stare out into the dawn light. "None of the problems are really his; but that's not to say he can't fix them. Or that he doesn't want to try to."

"And he can? They seem like terribly overwhelming things-prejudice, discrimination, how does one man expect to fight it all? Those problems aren't exclusive to the-magical-world, and yet no one has the ability to stand up and say `I'm going to fix all of this' where I come from."

"That's because there's no one else like Harry," Hermione said, completely truthfully. Erin looked at her. There was a very skeptical look spread across her face.

"Erin, I'm being completely honest here…you haven't seen some of things Harry can do or some of the things he has done-"

"No, but I do know that he didn't take advantage of me when he could have," Erin cut her off, surprising Hermione by the tenderness in her voice. Taking advantage of Erin? What could the other woman possibly be talking about? There was so much about Harry's time at Stanford that Hermione didn't know about, and probably never would, and this seemed like one of those things. There was four years of minutiae Hermione could never get back between her and Harry.

"What do you mean," Hermione asked, softly, her curiosity getting the better of her. To her great surprise, when she looked closely at Erin again, she saw wetness in her eyes.

"Oh, nothing," Erin said, hastily wiping her eyes and looking away again. "Just that I don't find it so hard to believe that Harry is different."

Hermione had no response.

"But how does one man fight against so much? And how are John and I to help him, if we don't know anything about what we're fighting?"

"It's not just one man, when it comes down to it," Hermione answered. "Many witches and wizards support Harry; some have for a little more than two decades now. Most of the others have only for the past four years or so."

"He only just graduated from college, though?" It was clear to Hermione that Erin was trying to apply the principles of the Muggle world to the magical society, and that just would not work.

"The Wizarding world isn't like the Muggle one," Hermione said, trying to help Erin understand. "Age doesn't really matter when influence is really about who you are and who you know, and blood…"

"Blood?" Erin asked, now totally perplexed.

"Purebloods, half-bloods, and Mudbloods," Hermione said, not really caring about the last. It had ceased to offend her, though she didn't like saying it. "Purebloods are those born of two magical parents; half-bloods from one magical and one Muggle; and Mudbloods from two Muggle, like me."

"That's sounds awful," Erin said, wrinkling her nose.

"What, Mudblood?"

"Yes."

"That's because it is," Hermione told her. "It's a very offensive term to most that isn't used in polite conversation, unless you happen to believe all of the pureblood propaganda, in which case most of your conversation probably isn't very polite…"

Silence settled over them like a blanket for two or three minutes. Hermione didn't want to say anything more, thinking she had reached the saturation point for Erin, and Erin just continued to stare out over the pitch. She hadn't yet asked about the hoops, though Hermione now wondered if she even noticed them.

The wind rustled their hair; on it, Hermione could smell the waters of lake and the scent of the distant pine forest. She drank in the aroma, marveling at the serenity of the place once again. She could get lost in this view, in this house, with Harry.

"So it's not just between the different magical species, then?" Erin asked, suddenly. Hermione looked at her, surprised. "Like Harry said? There's prejudice between the different magical humans, too? And between magical humans and Muggles-is that what you call us?"

"Yes, but I'd rather just call you Erin," Hermione said. "Or friend."

Erin smiled.

"But you are right, things are not quite as simple as Harry laid them out yesterday, which is one of the reasons why he really does need your help."

"I just don't know," Erin agonized. "I left everything in America, I don't know if I can just leave my family behind like that."

"There are ways of getting you back and forth…"

"I still can't believe that happened," Erin observed. "I shouldn't be standing here right now, in Britain."

"But you are," Hermione returned.

"But I am," Erin sighed. She pushed up off the railing and stood straight, facing Hermione.

"You never told me how he plans to make a difference," Erin stated. Hermione faced her and arched an eyebrow.

"Would you believe me if I told you?" Erin stared stoically at her for a second, and then cracked a small smile. Hermione couldn't resist smiling back, glad that Erin could still find it in her to smile.

"I'd have to, wouldn't I?"

"Probably, yes," Hermione agreed. "He's going to be running for Vice Minister of the Ministry of Magic, which is the magical government here in Britain."

"Vice Minister-?"

"And," Hermione continued, "he's going to take a spot on the Gringotts Board of Directors, which no human has done for quite some time now."

"He's going to be a leader in your government, and he's only twenty-two," Erin stated, sounding rather nonplussed. They seemed to have finally reached the limitations of believability. Why exactly it was harder for Erin to believe Harry as a leader than it was to believe in magic, Hermione did not know.

"He might be," Hermione corrected, deciding she didn't really need to know the details of what and why Erin believed whatever she did. "Probably will be, actually. But he has to be elected."

"When does that take place?" Erin asked, but before Hermione could even open her mouth to respond, she heard noises coming from inside the house. She and Erin passed some look between them that implicitly said they'd continue the conversation another time, and both turned toward the men just now emerging onto the balcony.

Hermione grinned at the smile spread across Harry's face, and noticed one equally as lovely spread across John's. They were laughing about something, probably some stupid joke, but they were both happy. John seemed to be in rather good spirits, or at least better than Erin was; he didn't look too fazed about everything that had been revealed.

"Good morning, ladies," John said, enthusiastically, and swept over to Erin. He lifted her off her feet and twirled her briefly, before placing a light kiss on her lips and setting her down. During that, Harry came to stand by Hermione and slipped an arm over her shoulders. She wanted to laugh at the bewildered look on Erin's face as John stepped away slightly.

"What's gotten into you?" she asked.

"Harry just showed me something you might like," John said, mirth coloring his voice. He reached into the back pocket of the jeans he wore and pulled out a small white lily, handing it to Erin. She looked at it oddly, made eye contact with John, and then slipped the stem behind her ear, so that the petals faced out.

"What did he show you?" Erin asked.

"This," Harry said, flourishing his hand and then revealing his palm, on which another white lily faded into existence. He looked over at Hermione, arched an eyebrow, and gave the flower to her. She decided to emulate Erin and placed the flower behind her ear.

"Magic can be pretty too," Harry said, attempting to keep a straight face, but failing miserably. Before the first sound of laughter came out of his mouth, though, Hermione was already laughing, because that was probably the corniest thing she'd ever heard Harry say. Now she thought she knew why he and John had been laughing earlier.

"John, what do you think about all this?" Erin asked, abandoning pretense. Harry, Hermione, and John sobered immediately.

"Do I believe it?" John asked. Erin nodded. "Yes, I do," he stated, reaching up and caressing her hair, brushing his hand over the lily in the process. She closed her eyes at his touch, and when she reopened them Hermione's breath caught at the emotion displayed there.

"Do you want to help Harry?" Erin asked, slowly. John took his hand from her hair and turned to stand next to her, facing Harry and Hermione.

"I don't know how we can help Harry," John said, looking at him. He then looked at Hermione, who returned his gaze. "But I think we should."

"You'd really just leave your home like that?"

"What are we going to do back there? Endlessly search for jobs in a market that's already inundated? Toil away eternally in some dreary accounting or engineering firm so we can make ends meet?"

Erin was silent. Hermione held her breath, waiting for some kind of decision between the two of them.

"Or we could really try to make a difference here, from what Harry was telling me on the way up here. I don't think I understand what we're getting ourselves into, though I'm not sure if that's a bad thing."

Hermione felt Harry squeeze her against him. He then pressed a soft kiss into her hair, and she leaned into him some more. She loved how they could support each other without speaking.

"Then…let's do it," Erin said, looking at John. They stared into each other's eyes and Hermione felt suddenly uncomfortable, as if she was intruding upon some very personal moment.

"Ok," John nearly whispered, and turned back to Harry and Hermione. "We're in."

"Great," Harry said, sounding genuinely happy and relieved. "How about a tour of the Manor?"

----------

"Who's hungry?" Harry asked, as the four of them entered the dining area from the parlor. James, Lily, and Sirius had been shocked at first to see Muggles-as shocked as John and Erin were to see talking portraits-but soon embraced John and Erin when Harry told them of what they might be doing. Hermione watched, with a warm feeling spreading through her, as James and Lily both seemed very proud of Harry, perhaps more than they'd been for anything else he'd told them. She thought Harry had noticed, because his step seemed a little lighter at the moment.

"I'm starving, actually," John commented, taking a seat at the table and staring around the room.

"Me too," Erin said. "You know, Harry, your house is fucking huge," she said, grinning. Everything paused for a moment, as they all looked at Erin, and then Harry started laughing like a fool. He soon had tears rolling down his cheeks, and although Hermione thought Erin's abrupt use of the obscenity was rather amusing, Harry was going overboard.

"I think he's finally lost it," Hermione told John and Erin, over the noise of Harry's laughter.

"Yes, probably," Harry said, gasping a little bit. "I'm sorry, but the way you said that…"

Hermione looked at Harry for a moment, considering his actions closely. He almost never laughed out loud like that, at least as raucously. Something had to be going on in that head of his.

"And I've just been struck by another idea," he said, now calmed down enough to look at the three of them without having to wipe his eyes. "I don't know why it didn't occur to me before, but the Manor is `fucking huge', so why don't you and John move in here?"

John and Erin just looked at Harry. They obviously hadn't been expecting that. Hermione knew immediately that it made perfect sense, however.

"If you want the jobs, of course," Harry added.

"Harry, you don't have to do that. I'm sure we could find…somewhere…to live," Erin said, looking back and forth between John and Harry.

"Nonsense," Harry said, waving his hand. "I invited you both over here, I'm setting you up with Gringotts, the least I can do is offer some of this cavernous Manor for you to live in."

"Then we'd want to pay some kind of rent," John told him, in a tone that brokered no argument from Harry. Hermione smirked because she knew Harry would not have that, either.

"No, I don't think so," Harry said in a light tone, but equally as final. "Hermione and I have more money and property than we will ever need. Just consider us roommates," Harry finished, smiling once again.

A look passed between John and Erin once again, and for just a moment Hermione thought they were going to continue to argue, but then John nodded.

"Alright," he said.

"Good," Harry said, nodding his head once. "Now I think it's time for you to meet three of my friends, though you should know they are not human."

"Not human?"

"Are they goblins?" John and Erin asked, speaking over each other.

"Not human, and not goblins," Harry clarified, and Hermione knew he was talking about Dobby, Winky, and Libby. The elves had kept away since Harry'd returned the night before, which was probably a good thing as John and Erin hadn't needed new information to process, but now they might be able to handle it.

"They're called House Elves," Harry said. "They're kind of like servants, to some witches and wizards at least, but they have thoughts and feelings and can be just as smart as any human. They're loyal to a fault and would protect my friends and I with their lives. And," Harry added, holding out his hand, palm down, over the floor, "they're about this tall." His hand was about mid-thigh level.

"You have servants?" John asked, and Erin looked mildly disgusted. Hermione decided to jump in.

"He said some magical people consider them servants, which is just one more facet of the prejudice we were talking about last night, but Harry and I don't; nor do any of our close friends. Dobby, Winky, and Libby-their names-are more like family to us." John and Erin looked properly chastised; Hermione made eye contact with Harry and nodded.

"Dobby, Winky, Libby," he called out, to thin air. Three small cracks split the air of the room, and suddenly the three elves were standing there. John's eyes widened and Erin looked like she had fought the urge to scream at their appearance.

"You called for us, Harry?" Dobby asked, looking at John and Erin curiously. His education in language seemed to have completed, or almost, because he spoke normally.

"Yes," Harry affirmed. "I would like you three to meet John and Erin, two Muggle friends of mine. They might be living here for awhile."

Libby, who had looked excited and ready to burst since first appearing, leapt forward at once, looking up at John and Erin from her very low vantage point.

"Nice to meet you!" she squeaked. "Any friends of Harry are friends of I!" A smile spread across John's face, slowly at first and then faster until he was grinning down at the little elf. Erin looked on in wonder at the tiny being.

"Nice to meet you, too…?" John said, trailing off at the end, waiting for her name.

"Libby," she said, looking at both of them. "I'm Libby, and that's my dad Dobby," she told them, pointing to her father, "and my mum Winky," she finished, pointing again.

"It is an honor to meet you, John, and you, Erin," Winky said coming forward and standing next to Libby. Her daughter looked up at her and smiled. Hermione was watching the whole thing with a tiny smile on her lips. She really did love the elves.

"Yes, it is," Dobby added, standing next to his wife. "As my daughter said, any friends of Harry are friends of us."

Erin moved from her chair and knelt in front of the elves. John rested a hand on her shoulder, looking down at the three small beings lined up before them.

"It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance," Erin said, presenting her hand to the three elves. Dobby and Winky both shook it, but Libby just looked at it for a moment. Hermione didn't think Libby would refuse to shake Erin's hand…

Suddenly, and this time Erin did shriek, Libby launched herself onto Erin and hugged her fiercely. Granted, her arms barely fit across Erin's torso, but it was a worthy effort. Erin recovered quickly, and gently patted Libby on the head, smiling wonderfully. Dobby and Winky looked at each other; Hermione watched a tear of what she assumed was joy slide down Winky's face.

"I just hugged a Muggle," Libby said, wondrously, as she backed away from Erin. "I just hugged a Muggle," she repeated.

"What about this Muggle?" John asked, looking like he was surpremely amused by the entire thing. "Do I get a hug?"

The words were barely out of his mouth before Libby literally jumped up into his lap and gave him a hug, or tried to. His body was much bigger than Erin's. He hugged her back, gently. She hopped back down after and stood next to her parents. The look on her face said, very plainly, that she did not believe she'd just hugged two Muggles.

"Harry always has picked good friends," Dobby commented, looking at Harry and then glancing at Hermione. She was shocked for a moment at the knowing tone of his voice, and suddenly wondered if it had always been there, just masked by his poor language? For all she knew, Dobby was absolutely brilliant, but had been held back all these years because of the ridiculous discrimination all around.

"Thank you for that vote of confidence, Dobby," Harry said dryly, though he was clearly happy how things were going. John and Erin seemed surprised about the House Elves, but were taking it in as they had everything else. What else could they do, at this point? Run from the house screaming? Hermione thought that highly unlikely. They were in it for the long haul now…

"So who wants to eat?" Harry said, standing and moving toward the preparatory side of the room.

"Winky and I can make the four of you breakfast," Dobby said, moving with Harry.

"That's ok," Harry replied. "Why don't you and I both make breakfast for everyone?" Harry asked, looking down at Dobby. "That means you and Libby can sit down," Harry added, looking at Winky and Libby, who had started moving in his direction. They paused, looked about to say something, and then nodded.

As Harry and Dobby prepared the meal in the background, Hermione, John, Erin, Winky, and Libby conversed idly about how the morning was going. John seemed fascinated by the House Elves and Hermione knew Erin's heart was melting over Libby, as hers had. Only a few minutes had passed by when plates, silverware, and several platters full of food floated onto the table. John watched the flying food with an arched eyebrow; Erin just took a piece of toast off a plate as it settled onto the table.

"That's convenient," John commented, filling the plate that had landed in front of him with some toast and other tasty looking foods. "Flying breakfast."

"Dobby and I are just amazing, when it comes down to it," Harry responded, airily, sitting down between Hermione and Dobby, who had taken the seat next to Winky. Dobby looked at Harry with wide eyes, but said nothing.

"Come off it, Potter," John said, munching on his toast. His speaking with his mouth full rather reminded Hermione of Ron.

"John, don't speak with your mouth full," Erin said, leisurely, smacking the back of the blond's head. He frowned in a mock-hurt look, rubbing his bruised ego with his hand.

"See what happens when you don't believe me?" Harry asked, beginning to eat as well, and the meal progressed on from there. Hermione was amazed at how John and Erin seemed to transition before her eyes, from bewildered half-believers to accepting believers. She wondered if they'd truly gotten over their shock by the end of the meal, and supposed they would want to talk to Harry and Hermione in much more detail about magic sometime, but when that time came she would gladly tell them whatever they wanted to know.

Dobby, Winky, and Libby departed after the dishes had been washed-Harry had let Winky help him this time, and Hermione had gotten up to help, as well-for wherever it was they went within the Manor, leaving just the four of them in the dining room again.

"Those aren't normal, err, Thingies are they?" John asked, reddening slightly at forgetting the name of the elves.

"Thingies?" Harry asked, smiling.

"I forgot what they're called."

"House Elves," Erin told him, looking with very affectionate eyes at her boyfriend.

"Ok, they aren't normal House Elves are they?"

"That depends on your perspective," Harry said. "They're not normal if you consider most of the rest of the House Elves in the Wizarding world, but they are if you think of them as the only ones who aren't just lowly servants."

"What do you mean?" Erin inquired.

"House Elves have been bred to be subservient," Hermione explained, "which is partly unavoidable because they're actually healthier when bonded to a master. That means they're loyal to whomever they serve and protect their interests.

"But Wizards have corrupted that notion over the last few centuries, making House Elves virtually chattel slaves. It's not the same in all Wizarding homes, to be sure, but no Elves are treated as well as Dobby, Winky, and Libby are."

"That's horrible," Erin muttered. John had a particularly dark look on his face.

"Yes, it is. They couldn't understand at first that I wanted to treat them as equals. No one's ever treated them as friends or family, and they really are members of my family now, but they couldn't accept it right away. We're slowly getting there, I think," Harry said, looking at Hermione, his eyes seeking verification. She nodded and reached for his hand, squeezing it.

"I would say so, yes," John agreed, nodding at Harry.

"Are you two ready to meet another magical species?" Harry asked.

"And they're treated just as poorly?" Erin asked.

"Well, not directly," Harry started to explain, but left off when Hermione squeezed his hand again. She would take this one.

"Goblins aren't mistreated, exactly, but they do not have the same rights as humans and are often shunned from Wizarding events. It's ironic that things are this way, though, because they manage the entire Wizard economy. To think what they could do to our world if they really wanted to…"

"But they don't," Harry continued for her. "They-at least the ones I've been in direct contact with-want to coexist with us in peace, and with the same rights. They do not trust many humans, though, so that is a hard goal for them to obtain."

"They trust you, though," Erin pointed out. She had a very thoughtful look on her face.

"Some do," Harry said. "This is why I want to bring you two into Gringotts-you can help me begin to build that trust between goblins and humans."

"And between Muggles and magical humans," Hermione added, looking to Harry for confirmation. He seemed to take a deep breath, glanced at John and Erin, and then nodded to them all.

"Yes, that too."

"Well, let's go meet these goblins," John said, sounding as if he couldn't believe the words coming out of his mouth.

"Ok," Harry said. "Let's all get into something more professional," he suggested, and the four of them made their way toward their rooms. Harry selected a simple business suit he'd purchased sometime during his years at Stanford, with a nice Wizarding cloak over the outside. Hermione put on a dark skirt and a white blouse, with a matching dark blazer. She drew her hair up into a ponytail and freshened both of them up with Refreshing charms.

"You look delicious," Harry commented, moving toward and slipping his arms around her waist. He leaned in for a quick kiss, just gently brushing his tongue against her lips, and then backed away. She glared at him.

"You better finish what you started later."

He smirked. "I plan to."

They met John and Erin down in the foyer. John had a tailored tan power suit on, which both Harry and Hermione were impressed with. He told them he'd acquired it before the recent trip to LA. Erin was dressed similarly to Hermione. Hermione secretly thought they could pass as fraternal twins if they wanted to.

"Ready?" Harry asked, his tone completely serious.

"As we'll ever be," John answered.

"Then hold onto my hands, all of you," Harry commanded, though Hermione doubt Harry knew his voice had assumed that distinct leader quality.

Hermione reached out and grasped his right hand, and John and Erin both took hold of his left.

"Here we go." They vanished from the Manor.

Reappearing in Diagon Alley near Gringotts, Hermione made sure John and Erin did not fall upon arrival. They seemed to take their second Apparition much better than the first, though Harry was also watching them closely. He motioned with his hand toward the large white marble structure behind John and Erin, and they turned to stare up in awe at Gringotts.

"That's the bank?" Erin asked.

"Impressive, I know," Harry commented, moving toward it. John's voice stopped him, however.

"What is this place?"

Hermione saw that John was looking back down the Alley, away from Gringotts. Sunday was a busy day for Diagon Alley, and there was much activity around the various shops. Witches and wizards, children and adults, were bustling to and fro, conducting their business as they would on any given day. Little did they know there were Muggles in their midst.

"The magical center of commerce," Hermione said, moving with Harry toward Gringotts. "We'll show you around later," she added, and John and Erin got the hint, following Harry and Hermione up the shiny marble steps toward the large door.

"Are those goblins?" Erin whispered. They had reached the top step and two goblin security guards came into view, flanking the entrance to the bank.

"Yes," Harry answered, moving toward one of them with a purposeful stride.

"Lord Potter-Black," one of them said, coming to a kind of salute. Hermione thought she saw Harry wince.

"Lord?" John asked, in a low voice.

"Just another thing about Harry you never knew," Hermione supplied. John just raised his eyebrows, though he never took his eyes off the two goblins. Hermione supposed they looked rather imposing, what with their claws, fangs, and fierce faces. John and Erin showed nothing more than mild interest, though, and Hermione applauded them in her head for their restraint.

"I would like to see Ragnok, if at all possible," Harry said, looking at the security goblins. They looked at each other and then back to Harry. "Follow me, Lord Potter-Black…and guests," the goblin added, glancing at Hermione, John, and Erin.

So they did, traversing the route through the bank Hermione had taken two days before, but this time they went past Griphook's office, through a hidden door into a concealed part of the corridor, and stopped outside Ragnok's door.

"He has been waiting for you, Lord Potter-Black," the goblin informed them. "You may proceed into his office," he directed, though he also sounded like he couldn't believe the words coming out of his mouth. As he hurried away, Hermione thought she heard the goblin mutter `most unusual'.

Harry pushed open the door before them and passed into the office, with the rest of them following. Hermione admired the way his cloak billowed out behind him, thinking it was a very dramatic effect. Now if only she could just add a light fanning charm to that one limp corner-

But her musings were interrupted by the voice of the Director of Gringotts: "Lord Potter-Black, Lady Granger, how nice to see you once again." Hermione watched as the goblin came around his ornate desk-the only ornate item in the room, Hermione noticed-and approached Harry, clawed hand outstretched. Harry did not hesitate and, smiling, shook Ragnok's hand. Hermione moved forward, offered her hand, and shook Ragnok's as well.

"Glad that you could meet with me again, Director Ragnok" Harry said, moving to the side slightly so Ragnok and John and Erin could see each other. "These are the two friends I was talking about, John Sanders and Erin Lowell," Harry introduced them. They stood still as Ragnok considered them with his small, black eyes.

"So you are the Muggles Harry speaks so highly of," he finally said. John moved forward, slowly, holding out his hand toward Ragnok. Ragnok stared up into his eyes for just a second, as if gauging if the act was genuine, and then extended his hand. Erin followed suit, passing the same judgment.

"Thank you for meeting with us, Director Ragnok," Erin stated, and Hermione thought the gratitude in her voice was indeed genuine. Hermione was impressed with them both again; here they were, meeting another completely new species, and they were treating Ragnok like an equal. Harry looked especially pleased.

"Yes, we appreciate it, Director," John added.

"And I appreciate equally your willingness to accept me as I am," Ragnok stated, holding his short arms out wide, "and being able to move past our obvious differences. To put you at ease immediately, I will tell you that I trust Harry implicitly, though he may not know it yet, so I am very pleased to meet both of you."

A sigh of relief seemed to sweep through the room, though no one had uttered a sound, and Ragnok directed them all to the four comfortable chairs set before his desk. They sat and he went around his desk, sitting in his own chair.

"Getting right to business," Harry started, meeting Ragnok's eyes and grinning briefly (Ragnok nodded, conceding something unknown Hermione), "John is here to interview for a finance position and Erin for a security position."

"Ah," Ragnok said, reminding Hermione very strongly of both Albus and Harry for a moment, though she couldn't put her finger on exactly why. "I thought you might say that. But I have some good news," he said, looking at John and Erin. "There will be no interview here today; instead, just a simple test to corroborate what Harry's told me about your abilities."

Harry sat back, nodding. "That sounds appropriate, of course."

"As I said, I trust Harry, so if he says you are both suited to careers with Gringotts, I have no reason to doubt that. But I hope you will allow me a simple measure of where to place you," Ragnok said, speaking directly to John and Erin. They nodded, looking a little thrown off. Hermione knew she would have been if she'd just been told she had a job, but had to pass a placement test.

"So, for you John, I have a financial question."

"What is it, Director?" John asked, appropriately keeping things formal with the goblin. Harry had earned the right to call the Director by his given name, so Hermione was glad John hadn't just assumed he could as well.

"If I wanted to invest 50,000 pounds," Ragnok started, using standard Muggle currency, "how would you recommend I do so?"

Hermione watched John think about it for a moment. She knew Harry was quietly watching as well, but didn't turn to him because she didn't want to interrupt this moment.

"I assume that Gringotts has all the financial options Muggle banks do?" John asked. Ragnok nodded, and there was already a pleased look on his face.

"Then I would recommend splitting the funds in at least five different ways, perhaps 10,000 pounds five times over or some other combination. The first 10,000 I'd place in a certificate, for assured dividends on at least one fifth of the total. Since those funds are penalized on withdrawals, though, I'd place another 10,000 in some kind of money market account, because they would be able to be withdrawn with no penalty.

"Another 10,000 I'd invest in the exchanges in New York, here in London, Dubai, and Hong Kong, after some careful research for which IPOs look the most promising. The next 10,000 I would place in a mutual fund, most likely as diverse as domestic, foreign, and high- and low-risk. And since the third and fourth segments of your money would not be earning guaranteed dividends, but the first and second would, I'd take the final 10,000 and buy shares of a high-risk stock, hoping for major gains."

Ragnok and John stared at each other for a moment as silence enveloped the room. John's face was impassive and Ragnok appeared to be deep in thought.

"Unorthodox," Ragnok said, "to split the money in so many different ways, especially since it's only 50,000 pounds, but I see that you are trying to tap almost every financial market available. I have another question for you, if you don't mind?" John nodded.

"What's the rate of return you'd expect from a venture like that?"

"Well," John answered, slowly, "a good quarter would be anywhere over 20% and a bad quarter would be near the opposite. But anything over 20% would be hard to attain, because two of the five sources are fixed dividends; and also, dipping below a ten or twelve percent loss would be difficult, because of those same guaranteed gains."

"So you're preventing a total loss by insuring some dividends come, regardless, and helping any gain with those earnings?"

"Yes," John nodded. Ragnok turned at once to Harry, smiling. Hermione rather enjoyed the ferocious look on Ragnok's face, now that his fangs were fully exposed, because it meant the Director was very happy. John had apparently done well.

"Thank you, Harry, for Mr. Sanders here. He will bring much profit and business to Gringotts."

Harry inclined his head at Ragnok. He then smirked slightly. "I wondered if a Stanford Business Finance degree was good for anything…and apparently it is." He turned toward John. "Congratulations, John."

"Yes, congrats," Hermione said. She actually was impressed with how John had laid it all out.

"I believe congratulations are in fact in order, Mr. Sanders. For you will be the first Muggle to ever work for Gringotts, assuming you want the job of Wizarding Financial Officer?"

"Oh, yes, of course I do," John responded, barely able to contain his enthusiasm. "Thank you, Director Ragnok!"

Ragnok merely smiled, and turned to Erin, who had been smiling for John but now grew serious. "And Ms. Lowell, I have but one question for you, as well." Erin nodded.

"What's the most effective form of security?"

Hermione hoped Erin answered the question satisfactorily, because it was awfully broad. A small smile seemed to touch the other woman's lips, though.

"Anything that can think and reason for itself," Erin responded, confidently enough. "From a purely theoretical standpoint, the most effective security is sentient, able to understand the changing variables of an evolving situation and adjust accordingly, beyond the parameters of any program or structure that could be developed.

"Logistically, though, that's not always possible, so if it is not then I would say a combination of something nearly sentient and more conventional means. Sentient beings should always oversee any security system, so that flaws can be identified and fixed quickly. Speaking as an engineer, I know that the weakest point of any system is its access point, so of course that being must be someone who can be trusted. If not, then the entire operation falls apart."

Ragnok did not have to think over it very long. "Again, Harry, you seem to have picked very well. That was a very thoughtful answer, Ms. Lowell."

"Thank you."

"Assuming you want it, the position of Security Engineer is yours," Ragnok told her. Hermione was so glad this had turned out so well. John and Erin hadn't come over here for nothing and the Director of Gringotts was actually embracing Muggles as employees.

"Yes, thank you, Director," Erin replied, a wonderful sense of accomplishment filling her voice.

"Now I think it is time we meet the rest of your supporters," Ragnok said, looking at John and Erin, and then glancing at Harry. "And your colleagues, Harry."

Just then the door to the office opened, and the four of them turned in their seats to see the new arrivals. Hermione understood after about three seconds, as goblin after goblin filed into the room, that they were meeting the rest of the Directors of Gringotts. Many looked older and more wizened than Ragnok, though two or three were quite obviously younger. She glanced at John and Erin to make sure they were holding everything together.

"I would like to introduce the rest of the board members," Ragnok said, coming around his desk and standing next to Harry, who had left his seat. Hermione, John, and Erin stood as well.

Introductions were passed around; Harry shook hands with every board member and talked briefly with several. They seemed almost awkward with Hermione, John, and Erin at first, but Hermione attributed that to their very limited contact with humans. One or two seemed rather reluctant to interact with them at all, even Harry, but Ragnok's presence seemed to spur them to at least be cordial. Hermione wasn't surprised because she'd always assumed that support for Harry wasn't universal.

After several minutes of this, Ragnok spoke once again, to everyone: "I have a few announcements to make, before we wrap things up for today. Mr. Sanders and Ms. Lowell, for your compensation, the other board members and I agreed upon 70,000 pounds at first, with bonuses and incentives of course for a job well done."

Hermione knew approximately the current exchange rate and knew immediately that they would make more money than she did at the Ministry. But that was just a passing observation, because she never needed to worry about money again. She looked at Harry tenderly as she remembered him giving her access to everything he owned. 70,000 pounds was equal to around 14,000 galleons or 140,000 US dollars.

John must have known the exchange rate, because his eyes widened slightly, and he looked to Erin. She looked as shocked.

"That sounds wonderful, Director. Thank you again," Erin responded for them.

"Will you two be able to start on Monday, June 3rd?"

"Yes, I think so," John replied.

"Then I would like you two to report here at 8 am on the third. John, your mentor for at least a few weeks will Griphook, and Erin yours will be Pilk, one of our senior security officers. They will be in the lobby ready to meet you both."

"Yes, ok," Erin said. Both John and Erin looked like they couldn't believe they were now employed. And they especially looked a bit overwhelmed their employer was a goblin-run bank.

"Now," Ragnok continued, turning to Harry, "I think it is time we welcomed you to our board."

"I would be honored to serve," Harry replied, as he stood in the middle of the rest of the directors. Many looked very satisfied at his words.

"Very well, Director Potter. We would be delighted to have you. A formal induction ceremony will take place some time next week," Ragnok answered, grinning once again. Several of the other goblins grinned as well. Hermione had to bit back a sudden surge of emotion as she watched Harry effortlessly interact with the goblins, graciously accepting their offer to become one of their Directors. Only Harry could do it.

"Just let me know when, Director Ragnok," Harry said, shaking Ragnok's offered hand.

"We will," the Director smiled, and turned to the rest of the occupants of the room.

"I think that concludes our business for today," he said, and the other Directors muttered their goodbye. Some approached Harry before they left and shook hands with him again. It appeared to Hermione like they couldn't get over the novelty of shaking hands with a human.

"Thank you Ragnok, for everything," Harry said to the Director, after the rest of the goblins had left.

"The same, Harry," Ragnok returned, sitting once again behind his desk. "I look forward to what the future will bring."

"So do I," Harry agreed. "But, as usual, we have taken up your time for long enough. May your funds flourish," Harry said moving toward Hermione, John, and Erin and holding out his hands.

"Yours as well, Lord Potter-Black and Lady Granger." Hermione smiled at Ragnok, reached for Harry's hand, and suddenly the world tilted as Harry took them all away from Gringotts.

They arrived just outside the front door of the Manor, and Hermione turned to John and Erin to congratulate them again, but she was confused by what she saw. They had started wandering away from the house, with very confused looks on their faces. She made eye contact with Harry, who looked concerned, and then looked back toward the two Muggles.

Then it dawned on her: they were Muggles. The Manor most likely had Muggle-Repelling charms on it, but they hadn't noticed before because Harry had taken them directly into the house. The charm only worked if they were outside.

"Harry, there has to be a repelling charm on the house," Hermione said, and understanding flashed across his face.

"I give John Sanders and Erin Lowell complete access to Potter Manor, except the master suite," he commanded, and they suddenly stopped. No flash of magic had erupted like last time, but Hermione supposed that was because they weren't magical. The wards had to adjust to them, rather than their magic adjusting to the wards.

"Why are we over here?" John asked, as he and Erin walked back to Harry and Hermione.

"There are magical wards on the house," Harry said, as they passed through the front door into the high, sunlit foyer. "They prevent it from being plotted on any map and from Muggles just happening upon it randomly. I instructed the wards to grant you access."

"Oh," John said, trying to understand what Harry said.

"Harry," Hermione cut in, thinking of the time. "We should really get ready for the Victory Day Celebration, and then head on up to Hogwarts."

"Ok," he agreed. "So you two are definitely taking the jobs?" Harry asked.

John and Erin only looked at each other for a second. "Yes, of course," Erin answered for them, smiling beautifully.

"That's brilliant," Harry said, moving forward and hugging her. He then slapped John on the back and stepped back.

"We're going to need to wrap up things in America during the next week, though," John said. "Tell our families that we at least have jobs over here, though I know we can't tell them what we're really doing. And we need to get the rest of our things."

"That's no problem," Harry told them. "I can take you back and forth for whatever you need starting tomorrow. Today, though, Hermione and I have to make an appearance at a Victory Day celebration, and we have to get ready for it soon."

"Victory Day celebration? Victory over what?" Erin asked.

Harry laughed uneasily, glancing at Hermione. She answered for him: "That's a story for a long, rainy afternoon."

"Yes," Harry affirmed. "Today, you two can just enjoy the Manor. Explore if you want; there's a beach and a speedboat down at the lake, and I think it's fully fueled. I'm sure Dobby, Winky, and Libby would be happy to keep you company, if you wanted."

"I'm sure we'll think of something," John said, looking at Erin. She nodded and gave him a sort of half-smile.

Erin looked back to Harry. "Thank you," she said, sincerely. He merely smiled back.

"You're welcome." He turned toward Hermione, offered her his arm, and then they started up the stairs toward the master suite.

"Try not to break anything, Sanders," Harry called over his shoulder.

"Try not to become too conceited, Lord Potter-Black," John called back, though his tone was not serious. Hermione chuckled and continued up the stairs on Harry's arm.

----------

Hermione and Harry sat next to each in the thestral-drawn carriage as it rocked slightly back and forth, slowly moving toward the large castle they could see through the windows. Hermione admired what Harry was wearing, because he looked rather dashing; in a kind of Wizarding tuxedo, he had placed a satin black traveling cloak over his shoulders, which went well with the deep emerald green color of his attire. Every once in awhile she caught Harry eyeing her cocktail dress, and she fought the flush that wanted to crawl into her face.

Too say that the black dress was revealing might have been an understatement, but after all she would be on Harry's arm today, and she wanted to play the part. He deserved only the most beautiful witch, and though she didn't necessarily think she fit that role very well, her small black dress that accentuated her hips, her long legs, and her bosom helped that.

In any case, the way Harry eyed her every now and then was enough for her, so sod everyone else. She would let him rip it off her later if he wanted to, but before her thoughts spiraled away from her, the carriage drew to a stop and the door opened automatically. Harry stepped out first and then turned around, offering his hand to Hermione.

"My lady," he said, bowing slightly. Though it was just for show, Hermione was secretly glad for the help out of the carriage. Her stilettos weren't easy to walk in.

"Thank you, my lord," she responded, now on solid ground.

"Anything for the stunning witch on my arm," Harry replied, holding out his arm, which she took.

She smiled demurely, trying to hide the blush, but she thought he noticed it. They moved toward the large front door of the school, ascended the steps, and passed through the entrance as it opened for them. There were a few witches and wizards mingling in the entrance hall, but it seemed that most of them had already entered the Great Hall.

"Your cloak, sir?" a house elf squeaked, having appeared out of nowhere. Hermione glanced at Harry, seeing the frown reflected there for half a second, and then gently handed his cloak over to the little elf. He vanished and they continued on their way toward the Hall. Hermione was aware of murmurs of recognition as they passed the scant people, and she was sure Harry was too, but they both ignored them.

As they entered the Great Hall, they paused for a moment to take in the lavish decorations. There were forty or fifty smaller tables where the four house tables would have been, each set with expensive dinnerware. The tone of the decorations was definitely jubilant, though there was something understated about it Hermione couldn't quite articulate.

"Harry, Hermione, over here!" a voice called, ending any debate over whether they would be immediately recognized. They turned toward the voice and saw Arthur waving them over toward a table where he and Amos were sitting, along with a few people Hermione recognized as Aurors. Arthur's call to them had also drawn the attention of nearly every other witch and wizard in the room, which was a considerable amount of people.

Hermione walked alongside Harry, still arm in arm, to the table, feeling like a bright spotlight had suddenly been lit in their direction. A general murmur started up at once, as it had been before, but this time most were still looking in their direction.

"Glad you two could make it," Arthur said, as they sat down. He was wearing dark gray formal robes. The Minister wore something similar, except he had the Ministry of Magic's seal emblazoned on his left breast. The Aurors said nothing, though they did look curiously at Harry, and perhaps a little lasciviously at Hermione. She glared at them.

"Yes," Harry responded, helping Hermione into her seat and then taking one himself. He glanced around at the many eyes still on them. "Did no one know I was back?"

Hermione realized that it had never occurred to either one of them to either announce Harry's return or check if it had been announced, so neither of them had any idea if people had known he had been in Britain for the past week.

"It was reported in the Prophet last weekend that you had purchased two brooms at Quality Quidditch Supplies, and during the past week they've claimed to see you entering Gringotts several times, but they've had no proof. I suppose now they do," Arthur explained.

Amos leaned forward. "So, ready for your big announcement, Harry?" he asked.

"As ready as I'll ever be," Harry said. "How is it going to work?"

"I'll start off the party with a bit of toast, mostly to you-so sorry about that-and then go right on into my announcement that I will not be running again," Amos told them. "Then you and Arthur will have the stage to make your announcement."

Harry nodded. "How long till we start?" Amos checked his watch.

"About another ten minutes." Harry nodded again, and then sat back in his chair. Hermione saw out of the corner of her eyes several people edging toward them, and smirked slightly at how many hands Harry would undoubtedly have to shake today.

"So Hermione," Amos started. She focused on the Minister. "Ready to get back to work on the first?"

Hermione inclined her head. "Of course, Amos. Things haven't fallen apart while I've been gone?" she asked, teasingly.

"Well, I'm not going to lie and suggest that you didn't hold things together in your new department, so it will be a relief for us all when you start again."

"Thank you, Amos," Hermione said, graciously.

A group of people entering the Hall drew her attention toward the rear, and she immediately saw that it was their friends. She nudged Harry and he turned in that direction.

"Oi, over here!" he called, and six heads swiveled in their direction. Ron, Luna, Neville, Ginny, Remus, and Tonks all started to move toward the table next to them. They were all dressed in formal attire, and all looked very nice.

"Didn't think you two would make it," Ron said, sitting down at the next table over, directly behind Harry and Hermione. The others filled in around him.

"Well…we had a reason to," Harry said, rather mysteriously, glancing at Hermione. She just smiled back at him, and turned to Ron.

"Well don't you clean up well," she said, raising her eyebrows.

"Blame Luna," he said, gesturing as if to wash his hands of the whole thing.

"Blame the Nargles," she countered, looking around the room, clearly very interested in the decorations.

"It's good to see you again, Harry," Remus said, having slipped an arm over Tonks's shoulders. They looked quite content.

"And you, Remus," Harry replied. "Of course it's always enchanting to see you, Nymphadora."

She waggled her finger at him. "Careful Potter, I might still know a few tricks to get you with… After all, I am the wife of an original Marauder."

"Where's Minerva?" Hermione asked Neville, since she assumed he would know. She hadn't seen the Headmistress since arriving.

"She had family business to attend to," Neville supplied. He was leaning against Ginny's side a bit. "She wanted to be here."

"Oh," Hermione said.

The next several minutes drifted by comfortably, with more conversation passing easily between the old friends. A few witches and wizards Hermione did not know came up to greet Harry, who returned their greetings amiably. Finally, Amos stood and started to make his way toward the front of the Hall. On his way, all took their seats, and when he arrived at the podium he picked up a glass. Everyone did the same.

"Shall we get this party started?" he asked. There was a general affirmative. "I would like to thank you all for coming to this fourth anniversary party for Victory Day. Four years ago today, Harry Potter defeated Tom Riddle, the so-called Lord Voldemort, and ended one of the darkest periods of our history.

"For these events we normally do not have in attendance the person we are honoring, but today he is amongst us once again, so I raise my glass to Harry Potter," he called out, raising his glass high over his head. Hermione thought she saw Harry's cheeks redden just slightly. It was cute. She raised her glass, making eye contact with Harry.

"Thank you, Harry," Amos called, and drank. There was a call of `Thank you, Harry', and then everyone drank. Many were looking in their direction, some with gratitude written on their faces and some with simple smiles.

"Now," Amos continued, "before we get started today, I have one more announcement to make. Arthur, Harry, will you join me?" he asked. Both men stood, and with a peck on Hermione's cheek, Harry followed the older man toward the front. All eyes followed them.

"After careful consideration," Amos soldiered on, with Arthur and Harry standing on either side of him, "I have decided against running for reelection this November." Whatever he said next was drowned out by a general outcry from the people, but he held up his hands, and silence reigned once again.

"I tire too easily these days," he explained, "and I want the Wizarding world to have a capable and energetic leader. It has been a magnificent four years; these last two terms have seen much change within our society, hopefully most of it positive, and I think we can continue to move forward in the future. However, it will not be with me as Minister, and with that I give you Arthur Weasley and Harry Potter."

Amos then stepped back amidst confused applause and muttering, as if people weren't quite sure what was happening. Arthur and Harry moved together to stand side by side at the podium.

"I know I am not alone when I express my gratitude for everything that Amos has done for us," Arthur started, turning slightly to make eye contact with the current Minister. Many in the audience said something to the effect of `hear hear!'

"I do understand his wish to move on with his life, though, and after equally careful consideration, I have decided to run in his stead for the Ministerial position."

For just a second, there was silence in the hall, everyone not having been prepared for such a blunt announcement, but then uproar could be heard. Most were cheering. They quieted down eventually.

"Since that will leave the Vice Ministerial position vacant, I have asked Harry Potter to run with me-"

Someone shouted, "I knew it!"

"-and he has agreed to. So come this November, Harry and I will be running together!" Arthur finished, enthusiasm seeping into his voice toward the end. Harry was nodding and smiling slightly, looking back and forth between Arthur, the audience, and the two tables toward the back where Hermione and the others were sitting.

Hermione heard Ron say something that sounded like, "Wicked!"

As Arthur and Harry moved away from the podium, rejoined by Amos, they were immediately enveloped by a swell of people moving to meet them. Hermione sat back in her seat, knowing it would be sometime before Harry could rejoin her.

----------

Several hours later, Harry and Hermione sat down, breathing a bit heavily, having just finished dancing rather vigorously. Many people were still out there dancing, though the partygoers had begun to trickle out the doors.

"When did you learn how to dance?" Hermione asked, joking.

"Erin taught me," Harry smirked at her, as if she would fall for it.

"Suuuuuure," she responded. He just shrugged and leaned into kiss her. She fought the urge to crawl into his lap as his lips pressed gently against hers.

"You look so amazing," Harry said, after they'd separated. She blushed, but preened slightly.

"You look quite debonair yourself, you know," she replied.

"Only because you dressed me up."

"True… Maybe later I can dress you down?" she asked, raising an eyebrow toward him. His smile grew immediately into what could only be called his famous lop-sided grin.

"That sounds like a date, Lady Granger," Harry affirmed, moving his chair toward her so that he could slip his arm over her bare shoulders. They turned their seats slightly so they could see the dance floor, where Ron was currently twirling Luna. Ginny and Neville were across the Hall talking to several older witches Hermione did not recognize; Tonks and Remus were dancing near Ron and Luna; Arthur was chatting jovially with another witch Hermione did now know; and Amos had already left with his cadre of Aurors, leaving two behind for Arthur.

"So much has happened in so little time," Harry commented, staring out across the Hall.

"Yes," agreed Hermione. After a moment: "Do you regret any of it?"

Harry blinked once and looked at Hermione. His green eyes were filled with love, and she smiled wonderfully at him. "No, of course not," he responded, leaning in to once again kiss her. It languished for a second, and if he kept doing that she would be taking him and dressing him down sooner rather than later.

"I'm glad," Hermione said. They leaned into one another, watching and laughing at the antics of their friends.

Hermione was looking forward to the future and what it could possibly bring. Harry was running for Vice Minister and he was a member of the Gringotts Board of Directors; she had achieved the Chair position of the Muggle Liaisons office and would be starting once again in just a few days, and she had just moved in with Harry; two of Harry's Muggle friends, whom Hermione was quickly calling her friends too, were working for the goblin bank…

And all of it was accentuated by her love for Harry and all that he had done for her, and continued to do. She didn't know how things could have turned out differently, now that she thought about it, because they were so right for each other. She loved Harry and that would never change, no matter what happened in the coming weeks, months, and years. They had found some direction for their lives and were running with it.

Author's Note: SPOILERS. I try to avoid post-chapter notes, and I know this is the second chapter in a row to feature one, but there are two things I must comment on. 1) Deathly Hallows: I did not like it. It didn't flow with the other books. The epilogue read like badly written fanfiction. Albus Severus? You have to be kidding me. 2) The rest of Bearings: As I said earlier, I will be continuing with the story. It will all be posted under this title. Fanfiction has been a nice outlet for my frustration since HBP and it especially will be now. I'm looking forward to contributing to this community for a long time to come! PS: An IPO is an initial public offering.

-->