Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Riddle Or Two by Makkura
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Riddle Or Two

Makkura

YES! Ohh, this is a strange chapter. I enjoyed writing it very much, of course ^.^ Harry meets a girl very much unlike any other he's ever met before, and is more than ready to be impressed, but then -

And sorry about Ginny and Ron. No, they were not separated at birth, but - well, I can't tell you now, can I? *cackles evilly* You will need to read on.

___________________________________________________________________________

Chapter 3 - Hermione

The following morning, Harry got up with a smile. He had the feeling that today something good was bound to happen. He went downstairs for breakfast with Ron - Neville dawdled for some reason - and they resumed their talk immediately. Harry's smile only faded when he saw Tom at the bottom of the stairs, glaring at him spitefully. He found it harder to enjoy Ron's company afterwards.

They found chairs, reserving a seat for Neville. To their surprise, Neville showed up in Luna Lovegood's company. He did not exactly look happy, but still sat with her. Ginny entered a minute after the pair, gave Harry and Ron a small smile, and hurried to her own chair next to Luna.

Before they were allowed to eat, however, Helen stood up to make an announcement. The room went very quiet; Tom stared out of the window, looking bored.

"Today, our last new arrival will finally make it here after a two weeks' journey", Helen said, her face as unreadable as it had been the night before. "She called in yesterday to tell me that the family she was staying with had a sick boy, and to ask whether she could bring him."

"That girl's some troublemaker", Ron muttered. Harry agreed silently; however, he also remembered his journey here. It had been long and exhausting; he would not have bothered to bring someone else, let alone a sick person.

"Seeing as we have already got Mr Wheezy staying here with his bad cough", Helen continued, raising an eyebrow ever so slightly, "I told her to bring the boy. Please, treat him well. Thank you. You may eat now."

She herself did not sit down, but walked straight towards Harry and Ron.

"I think it will be best if you move into room 24 with our guest", Helen informed Ron, who looked crestfallen at the notion. "Seeing as you've got experience in those matters..."

"She knows", Ron said desperately once Helen had returned to her seat. "How?? And she's punishing me! Is that fair?" Harry laughed. "Come on, you're still next door. You can always come over..." Ron sighed tragically.

"But that new girl's gotta be stubborn", Ron said after a while. "And she's got some sort of... people-saving thing? Bringing that boy with her and everything." Harry laughed. "Now what's that supposed to be?"

Still chuckling, he concentrated on his food.

Suddenly, Harry felt the back of his neck prickle softly, as though he was being watched. And indeed, when he cast his eyes down the table, he met a pair of brown eyes looking into his for the smallest of moments only.

Amy quickly looked away.

"What were you watching her for?" Ginny demanded as they had left the cafeteria with Luna, Ron and Neville.

"Who are you talking about?" Harry said indifferently. Ginny was looking furious, but before she could say anything else, the sound of another carriage arriving cut in.

There was a lot of noise in the entrance hall, and they all waited with bated breath. Flinch came hurrying past them. Finally, the sound of approaching steps could be heard, and a small boy emerged who gave them a very frightened look and made as though to dart into the cafeteria, but had second thoughts about this when he became aware of the large group of people still busy with dinner.

"Emil! Wait for me!" a girl's voice called. There were more footsteps as Emil hovered uneasily at the foot of the stairs.

"This", Ron muttered, not troubling too much to keep his voice down, "is my new roommate." Harry smiled. It was just like Ron to whine and complain; no doubt he would be fine.

At last, a girl with very bushy brown hair, half a smile and all the more determination on her face, dragging two large trunks behind her, came walking up the hallway. She had obviously taken over Emil's luggage as well as her own; Harry could not help but once again think about two weeks of travelling. All this trouble because she wanted to help? It was incredible.

"Don't worry", the girl said kindly to Emil, "I'll make your introductions for you."

Then, she noticed the small group of people standing and staring at her. She turned to face them, and her smile became a little wider. Now, Harry could tell that she was exhausted.

"Hello", she said. "How long have you been here? I've read all about this place, it's the best in the area, and near the sea and everything too, I was ever so happy when I learned I've got a place here. I'm Hermione Granger, by the way - this is Emil Duggins - and who are you? Aren't you just glad to be here?"

She sure was a fast talker. Harry thought he understood why Helen had yielded. Ginny, on the other hand, seemed unimpressed as usual, and snapped, "No, I'm not glad to be here, I'd rather live with my parents, you know."

Hermione did not look too affronted by the unprovoked attack. Harry cast Ginny an angry look and said, "Well, I am happy to be here. Actually, it's the first place I'm enjoying."

Hermione gave him a smile. "You are..."

"I'm Harry Potter, and these are Ginny, Ron, Luna, and Neville", Harry answered. Luna stepped forward, bowing slightly as she had the night before. "Luna Lovegood. You will be sharing with me and Ginny", she said in her dreamy voice.

"Yeah, and Emil's with me. I'm Ron Wheezy." Ron spoke friendlier than he had before. It was as though they were trying to make up for Ginny's rude behaviour, Harry thought as Neville shook hands with Hermione and Emil. Ginny herself was sitting on the lowest stair, her face revealing all sorts of emotions.

Finally, Helen called from inside the cafeteria, to which they all heeded.

Hermione made another long and very fast speech no one really listened to - except for Harry, who had never quite heard anyone talk like that, Ron, who kept sniggering in a not too appreciative way, and Tom Riddle, who was watching Hermione through narrowed eyes. Harry had already given up worrying about what bothered Tom Riddle, but he made a mental note to warn Hermione later.

Tom Riddle left first, followed quickly by Ginny, Hermione and Luna. Harry positioned himself near the door, waiting for Neville to finish so they could walk back upstairs together. Ron was eating wolfishly, Emil sitting awkwardly to his right, and Neville to his left, talking away. For a moment, Harry almost decided to join them, but then, Amy sneaked past him, smiling shyly. He hesitated, pondering over the familiar prickling sensation on his neck, then followed her.

She went upstairs, into room number 3 on the left side. Harry double-checked that the corridor was empty; he knocked and entered before he heard Amy's voice calling him in.

Amy was sitting at a small desk, looking more petite than ever. The sun coloured her honeyish hair golden. She was too cute for words. Harry had a strong desire to touch her flushed cheeks.

"Harry", she said in an embarrassed voice as he closed the door behind him. "I - I wasn't expecting you -"

She closed the book on her desk, a diary, hastily and made as if to stow it, but was too scared.

"Are you keeping a diary?" Harry asked, wanting to hear her voice again. He was not really interested in the contents.

"Erm, yes", she replied nervously, twiddling her fingers as he took a few steps towards her.

Suddenly, there was a loud crash outside and the tension broke. From the entrance hall, they could hear Helen shout, "Miss Granger!"

It was as though Harry had just been awoken rudely from a dream. He looked at Amy once more. Was she not a little too small? She was only half as cute as she had been only seconds before. It had felt like a trance.

Slightly ashamed and confused, Harry turned to leave.

"Wait", Amy said, her words trembling in her mouth. "I - I need to tell you something -" She took a steadying breath. Harry's fists clenched in his pockets. "Please, no", he thought. What had got into him to act as though he was mad for her?

"I - I like you very much, Harry", she said behind his back, and he closed his eyes resignedly. "I have never felt this way about anyone before."

***

Harry entered his and Neville's room and collapsed on his bed. Staring at the dark blue curtains right before his face, he cursed himself over and over again. What had he been thinking to follow Amy like that? Had he not noticed she'd been taken with him from the first minute? Why would he want to get her hopes up? He had not even had the heart to reject her, although that might have been down to his insecurity when it came to girls...

Harry pounded his pillow angrily. She was dwarfish, not cute. And yet, there were these moments when he couldn't trust himself and simply lost control...

He rolled over to the wall. The curtains hung silently directly above his face.

"Oh, move out of the way", he grumbled angrily.

To his utter surprise, the curtains rose into the air, hovering far above his head now. Harry blinked.

"What are you doing?" asked Neville, gaping at him, and Harry jumped. "Did you just tell the curtains to move?"

"I did!" Harry said blankly, sitting up. "And they obeyed me!"

"You're doing magic!" Neville said excitedly.

"How could I?" Harry replied.

"Tell them something else", Neville pressed.

Harry glanced up at the curtains. "Okay... Come back down again."

And immediately, the curtains silently fell back into place.

"Amazing", Neville gasped, his face awed.

Over the following hour, Harry practised moving several objects. The curtains were easy, but he also managed his pillow, the carpet on the floor, and even a chair.

"So it's really magic you can do!" Neville said in a hushed voice, having played witness with his mouth hanging open. "And people called you weird!"

Something seemed to be troubling him, and he sat down on the chair that had just settled smoothly next to Harry's bed with a clutter.

"Harry, if you could further this... You know, you could use it against Tom Riddle!"

Harry stared. "What do you mean?"

"Well", Neville said, gaining confidence, "he just attacked Ginny and Hermione, didn't he? If you scared him so he won't do it again -"

"What do you mean, he attacked -"

"You heard the shouting, didn't you?" Neville said. "It seems Riddle and Ginny were arguing, Hermione tried to interfere, and Riddle sort of - well we don't know how he did it - but the girls were sent flying -"

Harry felt as though his insides were burning. So Riddle had attacked Hermione and Ginny, and at the same time he, Harry, had been making a fool of himself in Amy's room.

He stood up. "I'm going to talk to the girls."

"I'm coming with you", Neville said. "They're in the infirmary, I guess you haven't been there before..."

"What were Ginny and Tom arguing about?" Harry asked as they walked down the stairs. Neville wrinkled his nose. "It seems Riddle has been watching Ginny again. She's told me how he keeps staring at her, it must be really annoying -" He was talking himself into a rage. Harry found this curious; he had not been troubled too much by Riddle keeping a watch on Ginny. There were worse things. Anyway -

"Is Hermione - are they hurt?" Harry asked.

Neville shook his head, then nodded. "Well, Ginny was pushed down the stairs, and she broke her left wrist. Hermione was sent into the wall, she's hurt her head badly. But they'll come around", he added reassuringly. Harry clenched his fists.

"You know what?" he said, stopping dead. They were now walking down a silent corridor and could be sure that no one would overhear their conversation. "You're right. We must stop Tom Riddle."

Neville looked delighted. "Then you'll use your powers? I'll assist you!" He grinned in an embarrassed sort of way.

"Well", Harry said finally, "this should only be between the two of us. I don't want anyone to think I'm special or something. And I'm not using my powers against Riddle."

"Why?" Neville asked.

"It would be unfair", Harry said evasively. He could not bring himself to tell Neville about the earlier incident. It was a scary thought anyway, that Riddle might also be able to use magic, and in a much more advanced way...

"I'm in", Ginny said loudly, and they both jumped. Unnoticed by either of the pair, she had silently emerged from the infirmary, clutching her bandaged hand, and overheard their talk.

"You're not", Harry said crossly.

"Well, I know your secret already, so you can just make it the three of us."

"I don't think so", Harry said. "You're already Riddle's target; you'd be causing too much trouble. Someone else has been hurt alongside you, you know? I think you should keep your head down a little after today."

"Oh, of course", Ginny snapped. "And you go acting the hero, right?"

"Just what use would you be of?" Harry said harshly. "You'd only enrage him more!"

"Fine!" Ginny shouted. "Fine!"

Neville said apologetically, "Ginny, we're only worried about your safety -"

"Don't give me that rubbish", she hissed and stormed off.

***

Hermione was sitting in bed composedly, reading a newspaper as they entered. Her head was bandaged, and she was looking pale and oddly small.

Harry drew a chair next to her bed; Neville preferred walking up and down the aisle between the rows of beds, twisting his hands, and obviously feeling very put out about something. He was such a nuisance that Harry told him to go off and find Ginny if it mattered that much to him. Neville left, looking relieved.

Hermione raised an eyebrow. "Have you and Ginny been arguing? I heard shouting." Harry nodded. "Ginny's a bit... hard to handle", he explained, using Neville's words from the previous evening. "Well, but I'm here because..., it's your first day, and you've already made contact with Tom."

"Yes", Hermione said unsmilingly. "What is wrong with him? I mean, does he go attacking people each day?"

"Not really. From what I can tell, people generally avoid him. He did attack me", Harry admitted, "but only because I followed him."

And before he could stop himself, he had told her about his adventure above the trapdoor.

"You say he pointed a wooden stick at you?"

"Erm, yes."

Hermione frowned. "It almost sounds like a... wand?"

Harry stared. But of course! He might have found it harder to accept had he not discovered his own strange power half an hour ago.

Hermione was piercing him with her gaze.

"You may be right", he said slowly, his insides squirming oddly under her stare, but before he could steady himself to tell her more, the door of the infirmary flew open, and Amy walked in.

"Harry!" she said brightly. "There you are. We're going to the beach!"

Harry's cheeks reddened as the girls watched him. "Uh, I'm not coming."

Hermione smiled. Amy, however, seemed to be steeling herself.

"You've already missed out once", she told him. Was it just him, or had her voice hardened? "Helen's going to be mad at you. I'm waiting in the hall."

And she walked outside.

Harry shook his head resignedly. Hermione was still smiling.

"Your girlfriend?" she asked, concern in her voice. He almost choked. "No!"

She leant back. "Well, you should not let her wait."

Probably because she noticed the look of disappointment on his face, Hermione added, "But do come back later. We should discuss Tom Riddle some more."

"Yeah", said Harry, standing up, "I'll be back." He smiled down at her, and left.

___________________________________________________________________________

Coming up: "Amy". In which Harry has to confront several girls, and spends time with Tom Riddle.