Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Darkness Year 2 by spacegal
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Darkness Year 2

spacegal

Chapter 8: Christmas, Duelling and Answers

"So, Dobby knows who opened the chambers the last time?" Hermione asked from where she was sitting on the floor in front of a small cauldron as she put certain ingredients into the smoking potions. Harry nodded from where he was sitting next to her.

All four of them found themselves in the second floor girl bathroom.

"Yeah and he seems really desperate for me to leave Hogwarts," Harry told her and Hermione frowned, puzzled over the latest news she had received.

"While you're on that topic, maybe you could clear up something for me," Ron interrupted and they looked at him. He was leaning against the toilet stall. "Why are on earth are you creating a potion, in the girls' bathroom, in broad daylight when anyone could just walk in?"

"No one uses the toilet," Hermione told him and Mia smirked to herself from where she was sitting on the counter.

"Why?" Harry, curious to know, asked. Mia and Hermione were the only ones who chose the location because the boys didn't have a clue where they could create the potion.

"Because of Moaning Myrtle," Hermione told them.

"Who?" Ron asked and Harry turned to look at Ron only for his eyes to widen and Hermione to sit up straighter.

"Moaning Myrtle," she repeated, greeting the ghost this time.

"Who's Moaning Myrtle?" Ron asked only for the ghost to shove her face into his, causing him to bump into the stall.

"I'm Moaning Myrtle!" she informed him. "Not that I expect you would ever know me, I mean, who would ever talk about poor, ugly, spotty Moaning Myrtle," she finished off with a shrill before she screamed and threw herself into the nearest toilet, causing water to spray up while Mia made her way over to stand near Hermione, who smiled sheepishly when Harry and Ron looked at her.

"She's a little sensitive," Hermione explained and both boys just arched an eyebrow.

"A bit of an understatement," Mia told her and Hermione laughed as she finished putting the rest of the potion ingredients in the cauldron and gave it a stir.

She stood up.

"It'll take a little longer before it's ready, I just need to check on it every now and then to make sure it simmering properly," Hermione told them as she picked up her bag and cloak. Harry got up as well.

"Are you sure it's safe to keep this here?" Harry asked and Hermione nodded.

"Yeah, I put a concealing charm on it so that anyone who does walk in here won't see it," Hermione explained.

"Great, lets head to the Common Room, apparently there's something major going on today," Ron told them and they all left the girls toilet after looking around to make sure that there was no one around to spot them.

"I can't believe it's not long till Christmas," Mia told them and Harry agreed.

"Are we heading back home for Christmas or are we staying here?" Harry asked.

"I think the potion will be done by Christmas," Hermione told them.

"Dad is planning on doing something this Christmas so we can't go home," Mia told him and Harry looked at Mia, puzzled to what Sirius could be doing.

"What is he doing? Because I hope he is not planning on getting himself caught or anything like that," Harry told her and Mia laughed.

"Nah, you know dad - it's about the summer - we're getting more training so he needs to get some stuff for it," Mia explained.

"Wonder what we will be learning over the summer," Harry said to them as they made their way into the common room, only to see a bunch of students hanging around the notice board.

"Told you that there was something major going on," Ron told them as they made their way over to the notice board and saw that Dumbledore had allowed for someone to start up the duelling club in Great Hall so that students could be taught the rules of duelling.

"Duelling club!" Hermione squealed and Harry smiled. "I wonder if Professor Flitwick is going to take over, he was a master duellist in his time."

"I'll guess we'll find out when we head to the duel lessons," Harry told her and Mia frowned.

"I hope they will actually teach us something useful," Mia told them and Ron shrugged.

"Gotta be, otherwise Dumbledore wouldn't allow them to set it up," Ron told them.

"So, we're all in?" Mia asked and got nods in reply.

"When's the first lesson?" Hermione asked as she peered at the board and Harry leaned in so that their faces were practically together as he looked before he lifted a hand and pointed his index finger to the date and time.

"There you go," Harry told her and she smiled as they both looked at each other before they got lost in each others eyes, causing Ron to lean in.

"Wanna make a bet on when they'll get together?" Ron asked and Mia grinned as she lifted up her hand and Ron slapped it with a low five.

"You're on," she whispered back to him before she turned back to the two them and cleared her throat.

Hermione blinked when a clearing of throat cut into her concentration and she blushed slightly when she saw how close Harry's face was before she pulled away and looked at Mia. Harry, also, looked at Mia, his cheeks tinged slightly with a blush.

"Dinner?" Ron asked and they both nodded before they bolted it out of the common room while Ron and Mia looked at each other.

"Fourth or fifth year?" Mia asked.

"Who knows with those two, I'm putting a vote down for both - it depends on the situations that occurs each year," Ron told her and she nodded. "How come not third year?"

"Are you kidding? The way they are going, we'll be lucky if we ever get them together!" she told him as they made their way out of the common room and into the Great Hall where they went for their dinner.

Harry and Hermione were already sitting in their normal seats at their table, they eyes focusing intently on their food.

"Maybe you should have just let them be, maybe they would have kissed," Ron suggested only to jump when he heard a clatter behind him. He turned to see that Ginny was kneeling behind him with her books everywhere. "You okay?" Ron asked as he knelt down in front of his sister and helped her pick up all her books.

"Yeah," Ginny told him with a shy smile.

"Ron, I'm gonna grab our seats, I think the boys are fighting over the food so I'll get your food," Mia told him and Ron nodded as she hurried over to the table and sat across from Harry and Hermione and started filling their plates.

Ron turned back to Ginny only to see her staring behind him.

"So, who was going to kiss?" Ginny asked, causally, and Ron stifled his laughers.

"Harry and Hermione. Their faces were kinda close and they were staring into each other eyes. Mia and I have a bet on when they will get together," Ron explained and Ginny looked at him, sharply.

"You say as if it is inevitable," Ginny told him and Ron arched an eyebrow at his sister.

"Are you kidding me? The pair of them fancied each other since they met last year and they've gotten closer - they will end up together, mark my words," Ron told her and Ginny sighed as they both stood up. Ron handed her the rest of her books. "Are you sure you are okay? You look really pale and tired."

"I'm fine, it's just trying to get use to all this," Ginny motioned around the school and Ron nodded.

"I understand. Come on, you can sit with us for dinner," Ron told her as he took her bag and led her over to the table, where he took up his seat next to Mia and Ginny and started filling out a plate as she kept sneaking looks at Harry.

Harry looked over at Hermione, who looked at him at the same time and they both smiled shyly when their eyes caught.

"So, who do you think will teach the Duelling class?" Harry asked, softly.

"I'm sure it'll be Flitwick, he was a master duellist in his time. Or it could Professor McGonagall, she was quite good at duelling too," Hermione told him and Harry nodded.

"So, you excited about Christmas?" Harry asked and Hermione brightened as her eyes sparkled. Ginny saw that Harry's eyes softened when he took this in and felt her heart tighten.

"Oh yeah, I wonder if they'll let us decorate the Christmas tree this time. I miss doing that with my mum and dad," Hermione admitted and Harry laughed.

"Maybe if you ask McGonagall, she might let you," Harry suggested and Hermione giggled slightly. "And I bet you're excited about the presents as well," he teased and Hermione's eyes sparkled even more as she punched Harry on the arm.

"You better have gotten me a good present this year," she teased him back as Harry grabbed her hand and smiled as his eyes sparkled too.

"Don't I always?" he teased back and Hermione blushed slightly but she never tore her eyes away from Harry's.

Ron and Mia both looked at each other with an amused glance before they tucked back into their meal while Ginny looked away with a hurt look on her face, unable to watch Harry and Hermione anymore.

Dumbledore watched from his seat up at the table and frowned slightly that Harry and Hermione seemed to getting closer each day. He had hoped that Harry would go for someone else other than Hermione so that he could exert some control on the boy because he knew that he would never be able to use Hermione to get to Harry because the young witch was too strong.

His eyes turned to Ginny and he saw the pain on her face and wondered just maybe he could get Harry to be interested in Ginny instead of Hermione. He stroked his beard, thoughtfully, as he tried to work out a plan on how it could happen.

McGonagall just watched the scene with a light heart and she fought to keep her expression as neutral as ever. She loved seeing the interactions between Harry and Hermione, it never failed to warm her heart before she turned to the teacher next to her, who was asking her a question.

Dinner was over and everybody made their way back to their house common room so they could get some sleep. Hermione had her arm wrapped around Harry's as she rested her head on his shoulder as they walked up the stairs to their common room with Ginny trailing after them with a thoughtful look on her face.

She watched as Harry made gestures while telling Hermione something that had her smiling the whole time and breaking into laughers every now and then. Harry was also smiling and laughing as he told her.

Ginny looked off to the side and saw that Ron was telling Mia something and she was nodding while laughing before she replied, causing Ron to laugh as he held onto her arm, causing her to laugh even harder.

Ginny frowned as focused on her walk. She knew that she had an attraction to Harry and Harry seemed to have shown an attraction to Ginny but someone always seemed to interrupt them so she couldn't be so sure. She just wished that she could have some time alone with Harry so she could finally figure out what he was really feeling for her and if they could sort out some sort of bond together that would slowly develop into some sort of romance.

They reached the common room and Ginny went to her room to sort out more of her thoughts while Hermione and Mia made their way to their dormitory room while Harry and Ron made their way to theirs, where they turned in for the night.

Everyone was excited about the duelling lessons when everybody turned up in the Great Hall, where a huge duelling stage had been set up. The floor was a bright blue colour and there were gold decorations with two large circles on either side of the stages, telling the duellers where to stand when it came to the duelling.

"Does anyone know who is teaching yet?" Mia asked and Harry shook his head. He, Mia, Hermione and Ron were standing near the stage. Draco was standing near Harry but not too near that it was noticeable.

"No, they kept it pretty quiet," Harry told her when he noticed a familiar figure making his way onto the stage. He let out a groan in his head while Mia's look turned to shock.

"Oh what?" Mia demanded as she watched as Lockhart made his way over the stand and Harry dropped his head.

"My worst nightmare just came to life," Harry muttered and Draco stifled a snigger as he looked away from the sight in front of him.

"Yes, it is I, Professor Lockhart, here to teach you the art of duelling," Lockhart told them all, finishing it off with a bow that cause Hermione to wrinkle her nose in distaste, she had to admit that Lockhart was going overboard with the announcement. "And my lovely assistant, Severus Snape." Everyone watched as Snape slinked up onto the stage, a look of disgust was gracing his face.

"Oh boy," Ron uttered out; he had a bad feeling about the whole thing.

"Today, we are going to teach you how to block spells that people might send you during a duel so that you will not be taken out of the battle too soon," Lockhart told them all as he unbuckled his cloak and threw it into the audience. The girls jumped up and Harry saw that Angelina had caught the cloak and shot the other girls smug looks.

"Professor Snape and I will be shooting spells at each other, not to kill mind you," Lockhart told them and Harry snorted.

"I wouldn't bet on that," Harry muttered under his breath as he watched Snape's sneer at Lockhart. "Alright then, One-Two-Three!"

Both men brought up their wands and pointed it at each other.

"Expelliarmus!" They both shouted and both flew off their feet, causing them to land on their backs a few feet away from where they originally had been standing.

"Let them both die," Mia pleaded as she bounced on the balls of her heels, her hands tucked up under her chin. Draco and Harry both backed away from the girls as they both held their laughers while Ron shook his head.

"Mia!" Hermione scolded and Mia rolled her eyes as she looked at Hermione.

"Come on!" Mia pouted and Hermione rolled her eyes.

"He's an intelligent man!" Hermione told her and Mia snorted.

"He's a fraud," Mia stated and Hermione gaped at her.

"What about all those things he did in the books?" she demanded.

"The things he claimed he did," Draco muttered to Harry out of the corner of his mouth and got a nod in agreement from Harry.

"If he did anything he said he did in those books, I will eat my own hat," Mia informed Hermione before turning back to the front with a hopeful look in her eyes, praying to the gods above to fulfil her wish for them both to finish each other off.

Lockhart got back up, while Snape also got up, and made his way over to Snape with a smirk.

"I have to tell you, I knew that what you were going to do. I just allowed the spell to hit me so that everyone could see the effect of a spell could have," he informed Snape while smiling brightly at the students while Snape just arched an eyebrow.

"I thought the whole point was to teach the children how to block unfavourable spells," Snape pointed out and Lockhart's smile dimmed slightly as he looked around at the students. "Maybe we should get some students up here."

"Ah yes!" Lockhart agreed. "Potter, Weasley, up!" Lockhart called out and both boys made a move to get to the stage when Snape's cold voice cut in.

"Mr Weasley's wand seems to be malfunctioning, I'm afraid that if he was to use his wand, we would be sending Mr Potter to the Hospital Wing in a matchbox," Snape told Lockhart and Ron sighed as he got back to his normal place. "My I suggest someone else, like Malfoy?" he walked away with a jerk of his thumb, telling Malfoy to get up onto the stage, which he did.

Both boys stood at the ends of the stage, facing each other.

"I want you to bow and start shooting spells at each other - only disarming spells!" Lockhart warned them and both boys nodded together. "Bow!" both boys bowed together. "One, Two-" Malfoy spun his wand around and pointed it at Harry and threw a spell at Harry, causing him to fly back a few feet till his back hit the stage hard.

Malfoy straightened up with a smug smirk on his face only for his face to pale when Harry sat up and sent a spell flying straight for him, which hit Malfoy in stomach, causing him to double over, wheezing.

Harry got back up on his feet and move back to where he had been originally been standing when Malfoy stood up back and threw another spell at Harry, who also threw a spell at Malfoy before they both scratched the air in front of them with their wand and two transparent white shields showed up in front of each other, causing the spells to be blocked.

Determined, Malfoy pointed his wand at Harry once more.

"Serpensortia!" Draco shouted and a flash of black light shot out of his wand before it hit the ground, revealing a black snake. Everyone screamed while Harry just stared at the snake and Lockhart smiled as he moved forward.

"Don't worry Potter, I'll get rid of it!" Lockhart told them before he pointed his wand at the snake only for a loud bang to come out and the snake flew ten feet into the air before it came back down with a loud hissed, now pissed off with what had happened to it.

It looked around for a victim till its eyes landed on Justin Finch-Fletchley and it hissed once more, baring its fangs as it got into its strike pose.

Harry stepped forward, his green eyes slightly glazed over as if he wasn't there at all when a hissing sound came from Harry, unnoticed to him.

"Leave him alone," Harry gently commanded but the snake didn't listen it's it rattled it's tail before coiling itself tighter when Harry lost it. "Leave Him Alone!" Harry commanded and the snake turned away from Justin and looked at Harry before Snape stepped forward and pointed his wand at the snake and it vanished.

Harry looked around, startled, like he had just woken up from a dream and didn't know where he was. He looked at Justin and saw that Justin was staring at him, furious.

"What the hell do you think you were doing?" he demanded before he stormed off, leaving Harry arching an eyebrow before he looked at the spot where the snake was before his eyes sought out Hermione.

"Harry," Mia stated as she jumped up onto the stand. "Come on," she told him as she turned around and gave everyone a glare. "You all got a problem with Harry telling the snake to leave people alone?" she snapped before she tugged on Harry's sleeve. "We gotta go."

Harry jumped down from the stage and made his way out of the Great Hall with Hermione holding onto his arm, trying to comfort him while everyone just stared after Harry with doubt now niggling at his or her minds.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Ron demanded as they made their way down the corridor.

"Tell you what?" Harry bit out; still annoyed with the fact that everyone had been staring at him.

"That you're a parslemouth!" Ron exclaimed and Harry came to stop, causing Hermione to crash into him. He reached out and grabbed Hermione's shoulders to stop her from falling.

"Sorry," Harry apologised and Hermione shook her head as Harry turned back to Ron. "What the hell are you talking about?"

"You can talk to snakes, you're a parslemouth," Ron explained and Harry shrugged.

"So what, I bet loads of people can do it," Harry told him and Mia made a gasp, causing Harry to look at her.

"No Harry, they can't, Parslemouth are quite rare," Mia reminded.

"There is a reason why the serpent is the symbol for Slytherin - Salazar could talk to snakes," Hermione told Harry.

"Now everyone is going to think you're his great, great, great, so and so Grandson," Ron finished off and Harry snorted.

"I'm not," Harry shot back.

"You'll find that hard to prove - he did live a thousand years ago. For all we know, you could be," Ron told him and Harry shook his head.

"I can't be," Harry told him and Hermione thought about it.

"What about Voldemort. I mean, he was Slytherin's heir and when he tried to kill Harry, it backfired," Hermione told them.

"I don't think so," Ron told her and Mia jumped in.

"Well, it would make sense, wouldn't it?" Mia asked and they looked at her. "When Voldemort's spell backfired on him, Harry bound to get some of his abilities - Voldemort was a parslemouth - not that it was well known, so Harry got it from him via his scar," Mia suggested and Hermione nodded.

"That does makes sense, we don't know any side effects of having a scar like yours considering you're the only person who ever survived a killing curse," Hermione told him and Harry groaned before leaving the room.

"Leave him, it's a lot to get through," Mia told Hermione as she caught her friend's arm as she tried to chase after Harry. "Let him come to you, you know he will."

Hermione nodded as she watched Harry leave the Common Room, frustrated with the world.

Harry found himself sitting on a small patch overlooking Hogwarts and the lake. There was a small hooting sound and he turned to see Hedwig flying toward him before she circled his head. Harry lifted his arm and Hedwig swooped down and landed on his arm before she moved up slightly and buried her face into his neck, nuzzling him.

"A great year I'm having Hedwig," Harry told her and she just let out a small hoot as she leap off Harry's shoulder and landed on the ground next to Harry. He reached out and stroked her feather as she settled herself onto the ground and both of them turned back to staring out at the distance - just letting their trouble disappear like the fading sunlight as it started to sink behind the sun, giving off a orange glow.

Hermione found herself in the library going over her homework. Mia and Ron were sitting on the other side of her as she kept looking at the empty seat next to her.

"He'll be fine Hermione," Mia spoke up, understanding Hermione's worries. "He just frustrated."

"I know," Hermione told her. "It just doesn't make it any easier." Mia smiled at the younger girl before she turned back to her homework just as Harry made his way over to the table. "Harry!" Hermione greeted, her eyes lightening up and Harry smiled softly.

"Sorry I was gone so long, I had a lot of thinking to do," Harry apologised as he sat down next to her and she shook her head.

"Are you okay?" she asked and Harry nodded.

"Yeah, I promise," he told her before he pulled out his potion homework. "How about you go over this homework with me because I haven't got a clue what I'm doing," Harry told her and she smiled.

"Sure." She leaned over and they both got on with Harry's potion homework.

After a while, Harry ran a hand through his hair. He was working on his charms homework when he felt eyes boring holes into him, causing him to look up and he saw a bunch of Hufflepuff staring at him. They turned away when Harry's eyes landed on them and he sighed, causing Ron to look up and understand what was going on.

"Why don't you try and explain it to Justin?" Ron asked and Mia snorted under her breath.

"I don't think he would want to listen," Mia informed and Ron looked at her, slightly annoyed.

"You know, the wizarding world is not all bad," Ron told her and she looked at him.

"Believe me when I say I don't believe that," Mia told him before she turned back to her homework and Hermione shook her head, signalling Ron to let it go and just get on with his homework.

"Maybe I will," Harry told them before he got up and moved over to where he saw a bunch of Hufflepuff making their way into the back of the Library. He reached a bookcase and overheard what a stout boy was saying to the group.

"I mean; he is obviously a dark wizard. I mean - he's living with Sirius Black, a well known supporter of You Know Who and Parseltongue is a sign of a dark wizard," he informed them and Harry rolled his eyes.

"But, Ernie, he's Harry Potter. He's always been so nice - he did get rid of You Know Who," a small girl stated.

"Hannah, he was a baby when he got rid of You Know Who. I mean, maybe that's why You Know Who went after Harry - he didn't want another dark lord competing," Ernie told her. "I told Justin to lay low, I mean, the way things are going - I wouldn't be surprise if it revealed that Harry is the Heir of Slytherin. I mean, he had a run in with Filch then the next thing; Mrs Norris is attacked. Colin Creevy had been taking pictures of Harry then he's attacked - Harry has some sort disrespect for muggleborns," Ernie finished off and Harry felt his blood boil before he took a deep breath, wanting to try and keep it under control when he felt a small hand slip into his.

Startled, he looked down and found himself staring into warm brown eyes.

"Ignore them, they don't know anything," Hermione whispered, obviously annoyed. She had heard what Ernie had told them and she felt like she could punch his face in. Harry nodded before he moved around the bookcase with Hermione still holding onto his hand and cleared his throat.

Startled, the group turned around and saw that Harry was standing there with Hermione looking like she was more than willing to hex them all.

"I'm looking for Justin," Harry told them and they all paled while the rest looked toward Ernie.

"What do you want with Justin?" Ernie asked, trying to put on a bravo that he obviously wasn't feeling.

"I just wanted to explain what happened during duelling club," Harry told him and he arched an eyebrow.

"We all know what happened during the duelling club," Ernie stated and Harry smirked slightly.

"Then you understand that I told the snake to back off?" Harry asked and Ernie snorted.

"We all heard you talking in Parseltongue, dark wizard language, and chasing the snake toward Justin" Ernie informed them.

"Oh come off it! It never touched him!" Harry exclaimed.

"A damn well near miss!" Ernie retorted. "And before you get any ideas, you can trace my family tree throughout wizards and witches."

"Oh, Fuck off," Harry told him. "I don't give a fuck about your inheritance - I think most of purebloods are a waste of space so if I was going to attack anyone, it'll be pureblood. If I really hated muggle borns, would I be standing here holding Hermione's hand?" he demanded, bringing up their linked hands. "Or did you forget that my best friend is a muggleborn? Just like my mother was?" Harry informed them before walking off, taking Hermione with him, leaving a stunned group of Hufflepuff behind.

He stormed out of the library, ignoring Madam Pince's glare when Mia caught up with them.

"Way to go Harry," Mia told him and Harry rolled his eyes.

"They do suck," Harry reminded and Mia grinned.

"I know," she told him before bumping hips with him and walked off to catch up with Draco, who was hiding in the shadows while Hermione just continued to hold onto Harry's hand.

"It's gonna be okay," Hermione soothed when Harry came to a halt, breathing heavily.

"Really?" Harry asked as he turned to look at Hermione. "Hermione, you do realise that tomorrow, everyone will probably think the same thing as Ernie does?" Hermione shook her head.

"I don't care Harry, I know you and I know you would never do those things, I don't see you attacking me!" she told him and Harry shook his head.

"It's just hard to think that everyone thinks I killed Voldemort by being a dark wizard when it was my mother's love that saved me," Harry told her. Hermione just let go of his hand before wrapping her arms around his waist, holding her close as Harry buried his face into her neck, wrapping his arms around her waist, just holding on.

What they didn't know that McGonagall was standing in the shadows, watching her two lions hold onto each other, trying to overcome the day's event and made up her mind. She was going to help Harry in everyway she can, no matter what.

"What are we going to do?" Draco asked as he and Mia made their way through the dark hallways, keeping to the hallways that were rarely used. "Harry will be under scrutiny for the next few months."

"I know, we gotta find out who the hell opened the Chamber of Secrets and get it out in the open as fast as we can. I have a feeling that this will come back to bite Harry later in the future," Mia told him and Draco nodded in agreement.

"I know," Draco told her before he looked at her. "But it doesn't look like it's going to be easy." Mia threw her head back so she could look at the ceiling as she walked.

"I know - do you have any ideas who could be opening the chambers?" Mia asked and Draco shook his head.

"No, no idea - no one in Slytherin has been bragging about it," Draco told her and she swore.

"Damn, we were hoping that by using the Polyjuice potion, someone might spill to us," Mia explained and Draco sighed.

"What are you going to do now?" Draco asked and Mia shook her head, for once, she doesn't have an answer.

Mia let herself into the common room only to stop short when she saw Harry and Hermione curled up on the couch in front of the fire asleep and she sighed. Harry was on his back while Hermione was lying on her side, wedged between the back of the couch and Harry's body while one of Harry's hands were in her hair while the other one was wrapped around her waist, holding on.

Hermione had her head on his chest while one hand held onto the front of his jumper. Mia moved over to them before she grabbed the blanket that was hanging on the back of the chair that the Gryffindor girls had put out because it had become a habit of people to fall asleep on the couch and instead of wakening, they would just leave them alone.

Mia placed the cover over their bodies before she removed Harry's glasses so they wouldn't hurt him and placed them on the small table that sat across from the couch. She walked up the stairs, leaving the two of them alone to sleep.

TBC

Thanks to my Beta for her hard work.