Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Most Advantageous Match by Amethyst
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Most Advantageous Match

Amethyst

A Most Advantageous Match

Chapter 5: The Long-Lost Cousin

A little over a week after Harry and Hermione moved in to Godric's Hollow, an unexpected visitor came to call. They had been sitting in the drawing room while Harry read a newspaper and Hermione attempted to draw the scene without Harry's knowledge. She'd been forced to set aside her tablet when a house-elf ventured tentatively in.

"A Mr. Malfoy to see you, Masters."

Harry and Hermione exchanged a look as they stood, both fearful that perhaps Lucius Malfoy had come to call, a man who had once been one of Voldemort's most loyal supporters, and who would most likely give anything to see the Potter family in ruins once more.

Luckily, it was not Lucius who swaggered in, but his son, Draco, who was just as cruel as his father but only half as clever.

Malfoy bowed lazily and smirked as he addressed them. "Mr. Potter, Mrs. Potter. I'm glad to see you so well settled."

"How kind of you to call on us, Mr. Malfoy. To what do we owe the pleasure?" Harry asked with a sharp, sarcastic tone.

"Well," he replied, taking a seat without waiting to be offered one, "like the rest of the wizarding world, I must admit, I'm curious about our prominent new couple. After such a quickly formed engagement, you cannot be surprised that your…motives are in question."

Harry and Hermione sat back down together. "I cannot see," Harry said, "how our motives can be considered public information."

"Perhaps you have not yet acquainted yourself with all the particulars of the entailment of your estate, Mr. Potter. In that case, your motives may become an issue," he said with a self-satisfied smile.

"What do you mean?" Harry asked with a menacing narrowing of the eyes.

"In particular, I speak of the clause which states that a child conceived out of wedlock may not inherit," he said, eyeing Hermione crudely as he said this. Hermione frowned and curled herself inwardly as if to defend herself from his gaze.

"My wife," Harry said angrily, "has always been irreproachable on the subject of virtue. I'm sure that shall not be a problem."

Malfoy laughed. "Perhaps not a problem for your wife, but you may find difficulties." He turned to Hermione and said, with a roguish wink, "Men need their entertainment, do they not?"

Had Hermione not felt the full meaning of his words, she might have made an outburst in defense of her husband. As it was, she understood that the insult was not to Harry, but to her. She was not amusing enough, not beautiful enough, to retain her husband's attentions - that was the implication, and Hermione could not be indignant because she wondered if it were true.

"I assure you," Harry said harshly, "That will not be a problem, either. Why such interest in the affairs of my estate, Mr. Malfoy?"

Malfoy feigned surprise. "Are you not aware that our families are related, Mr. Potter? We are cousins, and should you fail to produce a legitimate heir, it so happens that I stand in line to inherit. Family is a funny thing, is it not?"

"Indeed," Harry said curtly, offering nothing more.

Malfoy, seemingly satisfied that he'd made his point, stood. "I will leave you now. I'm sure you have many…pressing matters to attend to."

Harry stood and bowed, but Hermione had not the presence of mind, and merely watched the man retreat from their drawing room.

Harry startled her by calling in a house-elf as soon as the door had closed behind their visitor.

"Yes, Master?"

"Mr. Malfoy is not to enter this house again without my consent until he inherits it, should that be the case," Harry told the elf, who squeaked his compliance before Harry dismissed him.

Hermione watched her husband pace and spoke, with all due consideration to his temper, mildly, "Do you not think that measure extreme? To be sure, he is an impudent, unpleasant sort of man, but -"

"Loathe as I am to overestimate Malfoy, I do not believe he will be content to taunt us and leave us to sort out our affairs. I fear he means you bodily harm."

Hermione frowned. "I appreciate your concern, but surely he would find it more efficient to leave you incapacitated. I am, after all, only the means to an end - you may always find another wife to produce your heir."

Harry grimaced. "True as that may be, I daresay Malfoy would find it more amusing to leave me with a wife that could not bear my children, but would live out many years. Please, do not quarrel with me, Hermione. I could not bear any injury coming to you because of my situation."

Hermione was touched by his anxiety on her behalf, but she knew a good opportunity when it crossed her path.

"Perhaps," she suggested, "you should continue to instruct me in self-defense."

Harry was well-enough acquainted with her to know that the request was made more for the satisfaction of her curiosity than the alleviation of fear, but he did not question her, only offered her a knowing smile.

"If that would comfort you," Harry said, and Hermione continued the ruse.

"It would."

"Very well," Harry said, looking for all the world as if he would laugh at any moment. "We'll begin soon."

~

Hermione's instruction did not begin the next day, much to her disappointment, because Harry was otherwise engaged. Indeed, she did not see him at all between breakfast and supper. Harry had gone with Mr. Lupin to begin to take over the management of the estate. Hermione would eventually take over the management of the household as well, which was currently in the hands of a very capable house-elf who seemed a little reluctant to share her duties with her mistress. Hermione insisted, but would try to proceed gradually.

Harry returned in the evening with Mr. Lupin in tow, who stayed on to dine with them.

"Did you have an eventful day?" Hermione asked them over a spoonful of soup.

"We did," Harry said. "I've determined that Lupin's been working far too hard these past 18 years."

Mr. Lupin laughed. "Oh, there's far worse work to be doing. Like teaching you lot."

Harry grinned. "Pity you never taught Hermione. She would have made up for the rest of us."

"So my colleagues at Hogwarts often told me," Lupin said. He turned to Hermione. "I also hear you are interested in taking up the study of defense."

Hermione blushed and glanced at Harry, who only grinned cheekily in return. Her very unladylike curiosity was well out in the open now, and she decided not to attempt to disguise it. "Yes, I…I must admit that I have long desired to make a full study of the subject, but have only now found the time and opportunity."

"If you wish it, Mrs. Potter, I would be glad to assist your learning in any way possible. I think it unconscionable that we leave the ladies of our society unaware of the dangers surrounding them. It only intensifies the danger."

Hermione smiled, her regard for the man growing with every conversation they shared. "Thank you, Mr. Lupin. I would be delighted to learn from you. The boys in my year, Harry especially, always spoke very highly of your skill and knowledge."

Thus, an agreement was made, and Hermione would have two defense instructors as soon as Lupin finished training Harry in the maintenance of the estate.

~

"You have chosen very well in your wife," Lupin remarked after Hermione quit the drawing room, claiming tiredness. Harry wondered if she were merely bored or longing to read something instead, but he sent her to bed with a smile anyway.

"I'm glad you think so," Harry said sincerely. Lupin was the closest person Harry had to a parent since the death of his true parents and his godfather, and Harry valued his opinion dearly. He'd never had any doubts where Hermione was concerned, but hearing her praised was in a way gratifying to himself.

"Indeed," Lupin said. "She is a very practical, intelligent young lady. She rather reminds me of your mother, in fact."

"Really?" Harry inquired, inching forward in his chair. "How so?"

"Your mother had the same thirst for information and independent spirit that your wife seems to be in possession of. She was equal to your father in every way, which, I believe, was exactly what he needed in a wife. She was the only lady that ever dared to challenge him, and he loved that in her. They were quite devoted to each other, once your mother finally accepted him."

"She initially refused him?" Harry asked, alarmed.

"Oh, I'm sure your father seemed an arrogant dandy to many in his youth," Lupin chuckled, "But once your mother learned his true nature, she grew to love him as he did her."

Harry smiled inwardly at that thought. If his mother had once loathed his father and grown to love him, perhaps there was hope for Hermione one day loving him. He was still not sure if his regard for her was love, exactly, but for some reason, he still wanted very much for her to love him, for both their sakes. He thought Hermione would be happier if she were in love in her marriage, and Harry wouldn't mind reciprocating her affection at all. It seemed a very pleasant notion.

Nevertheless, his mother had not known his father's true nature before she loved him, as Lupin said. What possible alteration could there be in Hermione's feelings for him if she already knew him better than anyone else did? What discovery could possibly sway her opinion of him?

Harry sighed to himself. There was nothing to be done; he knew that much, and that was the very fact that unsettled him the most. Of all things, Harry was at the very least an aggressive personality. He had always been impatient, perhaps a little volatile, and waiting had never suited him when he could be acting. Harry's restlessness in the face of this predicament was surpassed only by his cowardice.

Indeed, the brave Gryffindor Harry Potter was terrified of approaching his own wife. Oh, he conversed with her as easily as ever and maintained their friendship as well as ever, but in making a move toward furthering their relationship, Harry was petrified. He could not confide in her his newly formed and befuddled emotions, nor could he make any physical overture such as kissing her (which he longed very much to do. The one kiss he'd given to her cheek was nothing more than a teasing glimpse of what he did not currently have with her). He was most decidedly stuck, and he hated being stuck.

With a raised eyebrow and an unconcealed smirk, Lupin broke into Harry's musings. "Lost in thoughts of your charming wife?" he teased.

Harry only laughed and took a sip of the drink in his hand, leaving Lupin to assume whatever he liked. Lupin was correct in thinking that Harry was quite enraptured with his new bride, but if he thought Harry had full knowledge of her charms, he would be completely incorrect. Unfortunately, those mysterious charms Harry had yet to uncover were the ones most distracting to him.

A/N: I've had a few express concerns about the promised rating change to this story. I do plan to introduce adult content, eventually, but I'd be happy to post clean chapters as well if that would be amenable to everyone.

Also, thanks for your dedicated reviewing. Your questions and comments keep me enthused about this story. ^^