Unofficial Portkey Archive

Harry Potter and the Final Enchantment by Solomon Aegis
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Harry Potter and the Final Enchantment

Solomon Aegis

A/N Well the battles are over, all the violent ones anyway, so if you want to stop here then I will understand. For those of you who like it all neat and tidy and a nice ending there is one more piece. This was originally tacked on to the end of the last chapter but it made it rather too long so now it had a life of its own. I hope you like this chapter as much as most of you liked the others. I can only apologise to those who find mistakes in the text I have put before you, it is not intentional and if the site allowed me to I would correct them, but I would lose your valuable comments if I substitute a chapter, so the mistakes remain. The four stories I have written have taught me a lot, and I hope one day to use this lesson and write something of my own but as the chapter says 'Que Sera Sera'.

Solomon Aegis.

Chapter Twenty Two

'Que Sera Sera'

"She's been asking again Ron." Arthur Weasley told is son, when he returned home from work.

Ron looked up from the copy of the Daily Prophet he was reading. "Well my answer is the same I don't know. The Prophet thinks it does though, umm…" he scanned the page." Australia this time, you could tell her that, but I assume the Minister reads the paper."

"She reads everything, especially anything with a reference to Harry and Hermione. It's been four months you know."

"Yes Dad I do know, and I wonder every day what has happened to them."

Ron well knew, in his own mind, the reason that he had heard nothing from his friends since that day in the hospital ward at Hogwarts, but it was strange they had disappeared so completely. So much had happened in the wizarding world that would have interested them…………….

For a start, there was a new Minister for Magic, Rufus Scrimgeour had done himself few favours following the defeat of Voldemort and within weeks a vote of no confidence had seen the rise of Wilhelmina Punruddocke to the seat. Ron had even met her once, in fact he had met her twice but the first time she had not held the post of Minister, she had just been wearing one of the blue robes of the Brotherhood of Merlin and nobody but Ron appeared to know that she had been a member, not even Wilhelmina.

Like all the other badly injured members of the Brotherhood, that had remained behind on Westminster Bridge that night, all their memories of the sect, including the identity of other members had vanished, as thoroughly as the rest of the Brotherhood had. Despite exhaustive searches by the ministry, the remaining active members of the Brotherhood were unknown, and now unknowable.

However, the new Minister was pro Harry, and that was a bit of an understatement, and she was desperate to grant Harry the reward that was due to him. Ron suspected that if Harry knew, then it was one of the reasons that he and Hermione had remained hidden from the rest of the world.

But that was not all; the total capitulation of Voldemort's forces that night on Westminster Bridge, had presented the authorities with more problems than they really wanted. It was clear that only a very few of these witches and wizards were hard line, and for them the answer was simple, permanent residence in Azkaban, sadly was the only option. The rest were the usual disadvantaged people with a grudge against the establishment. They had hoped for change and a movement out of the gutter for themselves, with someone else in charge, regardless of who he was. Incarceration for these disaffected peoples would not help, and there wasn't room for them all anyway. It was going to be a long time before anyone could say that this problem was completely solved.

Most of Voldemort's closest followers had perished in the battle, or were accounted for, except for two. Narcissus Malfoy and her son Draco had vanished as completely as Harry and Hermione, but the ministry put no effort into finding them, the threat they posed was assumed to be negligible.

Of the only other player, in the whole of that last year, whose fate Ron had any interest in, was a certain Delores Umbridge; the matter was resolved, though not completely to Ron's satisfaction. Her trial was noisy with her denouncements that she thought she was doing the right thing all along, and that Harry was really the menace, but as the judicial panel was headed by the new Minister she made little headway. In recognition of her previous years of service to the ministry she was not sent to Azkaban, but she was severely censured for her actions and lack of thought. Her wand was confiscated and she was put to work at St.Mungos, in charge of the sanitary department. Ron was outraged, until he discovered that she was the only member of that department, and that she was solely responsible for the distribution, collection and cleaning of bedpans. After some thought he redefined his position, for she would have to do all of this without magic, and now he felt, that perhaps, all things considered, her punishment fitted the crime.

For Harry's other friends the world had moved on as well. Tonks and Remus had decided to make their attachment to each other permanent, a wedding was planned for later in the year, and Molly had got it right, there was another Weasley on the way and Bill and Fleur, as well as everyone else, were eagerly awaiting the event. Bill and Remus had another reason to celebrate; the continued use of Weasley's Werewolf Remedy, the new name of the anti-interlunium potion, had proved its worth and simplified their lives considerably, as it had with all the others similarly affected. The twins had followed Hermione's advice and had made the potion freely available, so it had not made the twins much money, but this selfless act of self preservation, had finally made their mother realise their worth and give them the praise they deserved. To Fred and George that was more important than wealth …well almost.

Once all the initial fuss over Voldemort's demise had died down Ron, had returned to Hogwarts for the final time, he was back with all his friends except the two he most wanted to see, and talk over all the adventures. He had Luna to keep him on the straight and narrow and as Ginny seemed content with Colin he had nothing to worry him in that department either. In the continued absence of Harry and Hermione, Ron often found himself with Neville just sitting and chatting with the quiet lad. He often wondered what would have happened if Voldemort had chosen the botanist instead of Harry Potter as his foe. As the weeks rolled on Ron found himself doing something else that was strange to him, he worked, not that a final term can make up for seven years of inattention but it helped and his NEWTS were not as disastrous as he and his family had always thought they would be……..

They were good enough to impress Luna's father anyway, and as he sat and read the Prophet he contemplated the thought that within a few more weeks Ronald Bilius Weasley would be a certified employee of the Quibbler, a man with a mission, he was just not sure what his mission was, but it was a start.

Ron heard Ginny's shriek of laughter from the garden. Colin had arrived back with her at the end of term, and surprisingly Molly had made no objections to him staying. It seemed that, at last, she had accepted the inevitable and given up on trying to prevent her children from growing up. Ron glanced up from his paper and looked out of the window. He was amazed to see that it was still so early in the afternoon; his father normally didn't arrive home until much later.

"Early today Dad?" he asked, as Arthur looked in the larder for something to eat.

"Yes I know," Arthur replied grabbing a lump of cheese and some bread, "Loads of work to do as well, but something told me I should be here, don't know why but there it is," he said, shrugging off the confusion and sitting at the table.

"Umm…," Ron pondered, "I wonder where Luna has got to?"

* * *

Harry Potter, Hermione Granger and Fawkes the phoenix appeared on the crest of a small hill on the outskirts of the sleepy village of Godrics Hollow. They had left Ron, Luna and the hospital wing only moments before, and now stood with their backs to the white cottage looking out over the secluded valley that held the muggle village. It was a beautiful day, a day like no other, the first day of the rest of their lives.

Now that they had seen Ron and Luna safely back together, Harry and Hermione decided that their immediate duties were done. This was to be their time, a little bit of peace and quiet, away from everyone and everything, a time just for them. Fawkes spread his wings, leapt from Harry's shoulder, and soared into the air, three powerful down strokes and he had reached the top of the roof and settled on the ridge, his form shimmered for a moment then disappeared.

"He'll make sure we're not disturbed," said Harry squinting up to look at the invisible phoenix. "Once we go inside the cottage will disappear from the magical world as well, and with it any memory of where it is. No one will know where we are."

"How long Harry?"

"As long as you like my love." And Harry took Hermione in his arms and kissed her most soundly.

"Forever Harry." she replied, and returned the embrace enthusiastically…………..

It was not quite forever, they stayed in that blissful isolation for three months. During that time Harry became accustomed to the legacy of the phoenix, and Hermione became accustomed to her new Harry. If he had become a little more serious she didn't mind, you cannot have the wisdom of a phoenix infuse you totally not to have a bit of it rub off. She watched him control his magic, and hide his power, she watched her young man with pride, but mostly she watched him with love. And Harry returned that love, so much so, that now with all the uncertainty of their future behind them, they both knew that they never wanted to be parted from each other again, not ever.

At the beginning of July they left Godrics Hollow, and journeyed to London to stay with Hermione's mum and dad. Fawkes followed, and peace from interruption came with him. To say that their welcome was ecstatic was perhaps an understatement. Both David and Natalie had worried constantly since the muggle news had reported their version of the fateful night in London. They had seen around the government's lame explanation of the events and put two and two together. Hermione was mortified that she had not contacted them before; she had not considered that the garbled media reports, all wholly inaccurate, would have meant anything to them.

But as David Granger said, "The most important thing is that you are both safe and the nightmare is over."

The pair of teenagers passed a happy three weeks in the anonymity of the muggle world and the bosom of Hermione's family. It was obvious to her parents the way the relationship had developed between their daughter and this impressive young man, and David Granger was not at all surprised when Harry cornered him in the garden and they sat at the same picnic table to talk as they had done once before.

"Sir?" Harry started.

"David, Harry, you remember?" said Hermione's father.

"Err… yes sir, …umm David," replied Harry uncharacteristically uncomfortable. "You see it' like this," and the young wizard, the saviour of the world went bright red. "Umm…."

Mr Granger smiled, and then quickly changed it to a mild frown, when Harry plucked up the courage to look him in the eye, but could still think of nothing to say.

"Tell you what Harry;" said the older man, "I think in retrospect it is not right for you to call me David."

"Oh err…" Harry was now confused as well as embarrassed.

A hinge on the back door to the house gave a squeak as it moved, and Hermione stood there framed in the opening. David Granger turned to stare at his daughter, she had never looked so beautiful, and he had never been more proud of her, then he turned his gaze back to the young man sitting with him. Harry was transfixed by the sight of Hermione; the light in his eyes clearly showed his abounding love for the young woman.

"No Harry, not David," and Mr. Granger clapped him on the shoulder, "I think you should start calling me Dad."

* * *

Parting from the Granger's this time, was a much happier affair. Harry and Hermione were not departing to do battle, the dark wizards were defeated and if not dead then secure. Only Draco and his mother were still at large, their whereabouts unknown, forgotten now by the ministry, but it was Harry's intention that this oversight would soon be remedied.

The forest at the foot of the high mountains, that Fawkes led them to, was dark and depressing, and the darkest and most depressing part of this forest was where the three of them were heading. They found it by a small stream that unaccountably burbled happily as it flowed by, perhaps it knew it would soon be away from this place and out in the sunshine. In the cliff wall, that the stream had cut when it was younger and more vigorous, was a cave, the opening was as tall as a man, and it was as wide as it was tall. From this opening a faint yellow light crept inches into the darkness of the forest, and the murmur of voices vied with the sound of the running water.

"If you won't let me dress it Mum then it will turn nasty," there was a reply that did not reach the mouth of the cave. "That's ridiculous, …I need you."

"Draco," Harry's voice was clear and certainly loud enough to be heard by the occupants of the cave, and it was met by absolute silence.

"Draco," Harry repeated, "there is no point in hiding; we know you're in there."

"Get away from here Potter, leave us alone!"

"I am sorry Draco but I can't do that."

"Come any closer and I will kill you!"

Harry however seemed unmoved. "Don't make threats Draco. I know that neither you nor your mother has a wand. How you have survived this long is beyond me."

"It's been very hard," said Draco as he emerged from the cave.

Hermione's wand was in her hand in an instant and was pointing straight at the young man, but Harry put out his hand and pushed it back down.She gave him and apologetic look. "Sorry instinct."

Harry gave her a wry smile. "Yeah, I know."

The young wizard standing before them was not the Draco Malfoy of old, his features were gaunt, his clothes and those bits of him that were visible were filthy. His eyes so often in the past burning with hate for those he despised were dull in defeat, and Harry saw his shoulders sag as he stood there waiting for fate to catch up with him.

"Do what you have to Harry," he said with a sigh, "My mother is back there, she's hurt, she fell over the other day when we were searching for food, she won't give you any trouble."

"Go and deal with her Hermione," Harry said, and he watched as she marched passed Draco into the cave.

"Not even going to do the deed yourself Harry," Draco looked up and Harry could see two large tears in the corners of his eyes. "Mum, may not be perfect in your eyes, but she never killed anyone you know, and everything she did, …she did it for me."

"And what about you Draco?" asked Harry.

"Me?" he gave an ironic laugh, "Everything I did was for me, to save my soul …or my life, but I never killed anyone either."

"But you tried."

"I won't deny that, but do you know Harry, Dumbledore was right, in the end I couldn't do it, and all that did was make matters worse. Now here we are, me with nothing, and you the most powerful wizard in the world. Cos' that's what you are, aren't you Harry, the most powerful wizard in the world?"

"Maybe," said Harry, and Fawkes flew down from his perch in a tree and landed on Harry's shoulder. As Draco stared at his old adversary Harry's eyes began to glow and golden fire seemed to leap from them. "Certainly powerful enough to do what must be done here."

Draco resigned to his fate closed his eyes waiting for the killing curse to take his life as he assumed it had already taken his mother, but it never came. There was a most unpleasant feeling of being stretched out and pulled through a very small hole, and then when he opened his eyes again the forest was gone, and Draco found himself in a large airy room. He looked around, the building was old, very old; large stones and huge oak beams formed the walls that held up the timbered roof, it could have been part of Hogwarts but Draco thought it was even older than that venerable castle.

"Draco," he spun around at the sound of his mother's voice. She was propped up on a bench with Hermione kneeling at her side treating the large ulcerated wound on her leg.

"There," said Hermione with an air of satisfaction, "That should do until a healer can have a look at it." She put her wand away and stood up, backing away from the bench to allow Draco to crouch down by his mother.

He examined the neat white bandage that now covered the weeping sore and noticed that the signs of the creeping infection that had worried him so much were diminishing.

He held his mother's hand; his eyes turned down to the floor and very quietly he said, "Thank-you Granger."

"My pleasure," said the witch, from her position next to Harry, who gripping her hand gave it a squeeze of accomplishment.

"So what happens now, Harry? A rest here then off to Azkaban, to spend the rest of my life with my father?" asked Draco.

"That depends entirely on you," Harry told him, "I have made Arrangements for you to stay here. You and your mother will be …ahh supervised; I suppose you could call it."

"A prison you mean Harry?"

"No Draco a chance to learn and start again. They will look into your soul; they will help you, if you will let them, and if or when they find you worthy then they will release you."

"And if they don't?" Harry's look said it all, "Ok I understand." Draco slowly shook his head. "Better than I expected, Thank-you Harry."

"That's two thank-yous in as many minutes," said a deep voice from the shadows and Fortean Fortescue, dressed in the blue robes of the Brotherhood of Merlin, stepped out and into the room. "There maybe hope for this one after all, Harry."

* * *

The willow by the river was hanging heavy with leaves, its long whip like branches trailing on the ground, but they caused no concern to the young couple who had just apparated into the shade beneath them, for this willow did not whomp. It did provide shelter and a good place to hide whilst they watched the others in the garden of the Burrow. They saw them gather, in ones and twos the people closest to Harry and Hermione arrived and sat about in the afternoon sun and chatted, about the past, the present but most especially about the future. So engrossed were the young couple in watching their friends that they did not hear the soft footfalls of a blonde haired girl as she approached them along the river bank.

"Hello," said Luna, making Harry and Hermione jump in surprise, "I wondered when you two were coming over. I felt you appear about twenty minutes ago and I was getting bored waiting."

"Should have known we couldn't hide from you," said Harry grinning at the young Despuamense, he peered back through the trailing branches. "We just wanted to see them all together one last time, without all the fuss, and the questions, and…"

"You only wanted to have to tell them once that you were going to leave for good," Luna said sadly.

"Yes, that's right," Harry replied.

"Where are you going, if you don't mind me asking?"

Harry laughed, "As if we could keep it from you anyway."

"That's the problem, we don't know for sure," Hermione said, with some exasperation, "we had thought of going back to the muggle world, or locking ourselves away in Godrics Hollow, but neither will give us what we want."

"And what is that?"

"A normal life." said Harry.

"But you aren't normal," Luna said matter of factly, "and I think you may be stuck with that, just as I am."

Harry sat down on the bench that nestled under the tree and the girls sat on either side of him. He put an arm around each of them and looked at them in turn.

"It's not fair is it?" he said at last to Luna, and she shook her head in answer to his question. "But, as you say, we're stuck with it and I suppose we will have to make the best of it."

Luna stood up and held out her hands to the two reluctant heroes. "Don't worry," she cocked her head in the direction of the Burrow as if she was listening to something, "I think you'll find that it all works out alright in the end."

In the garden suspicions were growing as to why everyone had all felt this strange compulsion to visit the Burrow on this sunny afternoon. Then their suspicions took on a new light, and they knew something big was in the air, when Professor McGonagall apparated into the garden.

She looked around the gathering of witches and wizards, smiled and said, "Well then doesn't this coven look familiar, all that we need is for Harry and Hermione to turn up and it would be complete."

The conversations died, and everyone looked this way and that, hoping to be the first to see them, wondering if indeed the elusive pair would turn up. In the end it was Neville who spotted them first, crossing the field from the direction of the river with Luna walking calmly beside them. He was so glad to see them that all he could do was grin inanely at them and in something of a daze, walked over to the garden gate and held it open for his friends.

"Hi Nev'" said Harry as he shook him by the hand, "How were the exams?"

"Great Harry, thanks," he replied a little non-plussed that Harry could be concerned with anything so normal.

Hermione gave Neville a smile and a kiss on the cheek in greeting and then they were almost buried in an avalanche of well wishers. Ron watched his two oldest friends from the back of the group, he didn't attempt to push his way through, and there were tears in his eyes as he turned and slipped back into the Burrow.

Molly Weasley cried over them, Arthur must have mentioned the Minister's interest in them at least a dozen times. The twins congratulated Harry, smiled winsomely at Hermione and then wisely kept their distance from her. Ginny and Colin watched the pair with only slight envy in their eyes, vowing with each other to try and be just like them. Neville and Luna did nothing but smile at them each time their eyes met, and Hagrid sat drinking from a large bucket that Molly had provided when the half giant became overwhelmed with emotion after Hermione had given him a hug. Bill, Fleur, Charlie and Percy were full of congratulations. Tonks gave them both a big kiss, but it was Remus who gave Harry the best accolade of all.

"You are a remarkable young man Harry," he said, thickly as they sat together later that day, "James, Lily and Sirius would be very proud of you, and so am I," he patted him on the shoulder, "very proud." And only Harry saw the tears that fell, as Remus remembered his old friends.

Professor McGonagall talked to the pair in a serious but quiet voice for some time. Something she was saying appeared to interest them, and as they left her she called out. "Think about it the both of you, and let me know, there is no rush."

It was almost as if he was avoiding them, but eventually they tracked him down. Ron was leaning over the garden wall staring at the blood red sun that was sinking below the horizon as evening drew in. He was holding a half finished butterbeer bottle in one hand occasionally taking swigs from it, he looked in a thoughtful mood.

"To the end of an era," he said taking another drink. He knew they were standing behind him, but he didn't turn around. "Now it's all over we can finally drop the pretence."

Hermione shot Harry a questioning look, but instead of answering he waved her forward toward Ron, indicating that he was not the one to ask.

"What do you mean Ron?" she asked as she moved to stand next to him, "what pretence?"

Ron turned to look at her with rather red and slightly unfocused eyes. "That after all I did to you and Harry that we are still friends."

Hermione was flabbergasted, "You mean you are still worried about…." she was having difficulty in finding the right words, "…. and the…. but we sorted that out ages ago."

Ron gave a noncommittal shrug of his shoulders, as if he didn't believe her. Now Hermione was getting a little cross, and pulled Ron around to face her. "And you great dummy, you saved my life. If you hadn't forced that silly dragon scale on me before the battle I wouldn't be here."

"You really don't hold any grudges that I wanted to keep you for, myself and tried to drive Harry away?"

Hermione couldn't believe that things, she had long ago consigned to the dustbin full of life's little mistakes, were still worrying the morose young man in front of her.

"No of course I don't," and she threw her arms around him and pulled him into a hug. "Oh God Ronald Weasley, you can be so dense at times!"

He stood unmoving until he realised that Hermione was earnest in her protestations and very slowly he returned her embrace.

"You're probably right Hermione," Ron said as he drew away again and he gave a her a sick sort of grin, "you usually are. I think dense must be a natural state for me. Can we just acknol… acknlodg… decide that I was wrong to even try, to even want to try?"

"Yes," she agreed, "if you want."

"Forgiven?"

Hermione sighed, "Yes."

"Thanks," was the very sincere reply.

Harry watched the interplay between his two best friends, glad that at last they had reached an understanding, and then Luna appeared at his side.

"Have they sorted it all out?" she asked.

"It seems so," said Harry, "I didn't realise he worried about it so much. I mean such a lot has happened since then, I find it hard to recall all the ins and outs of it."

Luna snorted, "No you don't Harry Potter, you remember every little detail, its part of Fawkes' gift, I know," and she tapped the side of her head. "Ron has struggled with his daemon, every day, and it's not the thought that he lost Hermione that worries him, but the thought that he could have kept the two of you apart. He has tried very hard to be there for you both, and I think that the good outweighs the bad, don't you?" Harry nodded, "it is only right he should be forgiven." Luna looked more closely at her boyfriend, grunted then said "Excuse me a moment."

She walked over to where Ron stood supported by the garden wall, and he turned to look at her. "Hi," he gave her a cheery wave.

"What have you been drinking Ronald."

"Err…. ummm."

"Has anyone seen my cooking sherry!" came a cry from the Kitchen, "I need it for the trifle." said Molly Weasley poking her head out of the window.

"Ronald you didn't?" said Luna with as much exasperation as she could muster, while keeping a straight face.

"Well… I was feeling down, and Hagrid has monopolised all the Old Peculiar, it was all there was." he handled the guilty butterbeer bottle nervously.

"Need any more?"

"No in fact I wish I hadn't started it," his face had taken on a slightly green cast, and with his red hair he didn't look too good.

"Easily remedied," said Luna brightly and she drew her wand. "Subveri ebrius," she chanted and touched her wand to Ron's head.

He looked at her in horror, clapped his hand over his mouth, and made a mad dash for the house. He reappeared a few minutes later now looking just a little pale, and mopping his forehead with a damp cloth.

"Better Ronald?" asked Luna unsympathetically.

"Yes thanks, only just made the bathroom though. That's a really nasty spell you know, I've got a stinking headache."

"Well whose fault is that?" she said taking him by the arm and leading him away. She gave Harry and Hermione a smile and a wink, "Take care you two."

"Thanks Luna, see you Ron." said Harry, but Ron was already having his ear bent by his girlfriend.

"Well" said Hermione, "I think he is in good hands."

Harry laughed, "You could be right there," and he took hold of her hand. "Time to go?"

"Yes Harry, time to go." And without a sound and without anyone knowing they had gone the two disappeared.

* * *

Summer in Godrics Hollow was the same as in many small rural villages. The relative peace and quiet that normally existed was disturbed to some extent by an influx of visitors, but welcome or not it allowed Harry and Hermione to explore with some anonymity. Previously they had not strayed out of the cottage or its garden, but the beauty of the little valley and the idea of a trip to the coast, by the winding path that led down the brown stone cliffs to the tiny beach, was too much to resist.

Even in the middle of summer the water on this part of the coastline was too cold to endure for long, and by lunch time Harry and Hermione were on their way back to the cottage. They stopped for a while in the village itself, the few …well two shops and the pub, edged onto the small village green where half a dozen people sat on benches or were sprawled on the grass enjoying the sun.

"Excuse me," Harry and Hermione stopped and turned to the elderly man that had spoken. He was sitting alone on one of the benches, a walking stick between his knees with his hands clasped over its top. "Are you the young couple who live up on the hill?"

"Us?" said Harry, "How could we be, there's nothing up there, not that we've seen."

The man smiled, it was a friendly smile. "My name is George Davis," he said, "Would you like me to tell you a story?"

………. "So you see I know who and what you are, and I don't know if anyone has ever said this before, but you look so much like your father Mr. Potter." He looked at Harry and Hermione who were sitting next to him, slightly open mouthed, as he concluded his tale. "The only other person I have ever told this story to is my grandson, who else would believe me?" He laughed quietly. "I didn't want the story to die with me, you see, it is too special."

"You felt it, then when we came back to live here, I mean?" asked Hermione.

"Oh yes, my dear, a wonderful day. The magic had been gone for so long, but now its back I can feel it tingling in the air, can't you?" Then he laughed at the absurdity of his question. "Of course you can," then his expression changed to one of concern. "You won't leave because I know will you? I suppose you could alter my memory, so I forget like all the others, but my memories are all that remain these days, and I would hate to lose them."

"No we won't be leaving, and yes we could change your memories but we won't," said Harry holding out his hand to the old man. "My name is Harry, and this is Hermione."

They shook hands and then George Davis took Hermione's proffered hand. "Delightful, I am so pleased to meet you Mrs Potter."

"Err… Granger actually, Hermione Granger," said Hermione.

"Oh sorry, not married then? Just that you look so…"

Harry and Hermione laughed at the old man's embarrassment. "Not married yet, Mr Davis," said Harry.

"Working on it," said Hermione with a grin.

"Oh that's wonderful."

"Yes it is," said Harry, "but we have things like getting a job and earning some money sorted out first."

"You have to work?" George said in some surprise, "I would have thought all that would have been too mundane for people like you."

"Oh there's no getting away from the mundane, muggle or wizard it all boils down to the same thing," Hermione told him.

"What are you going to do? Err… if you don't mind me asking?"

"Well an old friend of ours has made us an offer," said Hermione

"We've been trying to make up our minds," said Harry.

"Challenging work?" George asked Harry.

"Yes indeed?"

"Good prospects Hermione?"

"Err… I suppose so, yes."

"Would you both enjoy doing it?" said George looking earnestly at the pair.

They laughed, "Yes," they said together.

"Well then if I were you I would take it, but that is only the opinion of one old …what is it …oh yes, muggle."

Harry looked at Hermione and she nodded in agreement. "Thank-you Mr Davis," said Harry, "Muggle or wizard it doesn't matter, your advice is good; we think we'll take it."

* * *

The breeze off the lake was warm, and the splashing of a lazy tentacle out on the water told Harry and Hermione that they were not entirely alone. The brilliant white of the tomb shone in the sunlight, and made the names carved on its surface difficult to read. This place was now a memorial to all those who had lost their lives to the forces of the Dark Lord, not just to Dumbledore. Although his name was written above all the others they were all equal in the sacrifice they had made, and it mattered not that the body entombed in the stone was unknown, save to three, it became the body of every one of them, and was revered as such by those who visited this most important of places.

"It's nearly over, isn't it Harry," said Hermione, from the hug that she and Harry appeared to constantly share.

"Over …no, it's only just beginning," he said with a laugh, and pulling her by the hand he started up the lawns towards the doors of the old castle. "Come on," he chided his companion who seemed to be reluctant to leave the lake side, "Student teachers or not McGonagall will have loads of things for us to do, lessons to prepare, you know … homework."

Hermione's silvery laugh sent goose bumps down Harry's back, "Oh well in that case we better get going."

Halfway up the lawns Hermione slowed down then stopped, and Harry turned to her. "What?"

"Are you happy Harry?" She asked her face serious.

Harry Potter looked at the young woman he intended to share the rest of his life with. Over her shoulder he could see the white tomb, the years of struggle and adventure that lay behind it and the faces of all those who had died so that ultimately he could be here with her. How could he not be happy, for his sake, for her sake, and for their sakes? He smiled, "Yes," he said.

Together they ran on to the Castle doors, to face the future that lay before them, the girl with all the answers, and the boy who still carried that famous scar.

* * *

THE END.

Author's Note: Well there it is I hope you enjoyed my last foray into the world of Harry, Hermione and all of their friend's and enemies. It has been fun for the most part, except for the bits when the inspiration dies, but the characters are so wonderful that the block doesn't last too long.

I dedicate The Final Enchantment to Hermione, not the one in the pages that you have just read but to the one that I married, for although they have different names, you would be surprised just how similar they are. I feel no need to continue this story because I have lived it with her, and I hope that the Harry and Hermione who are passing through the doors of Hogwarts as you read this have as much happiness as we have had. (I know they will).

Thank-you for reading and thank-you to the reviewers, it gives one a real buzz to see them.

All the best for the future.

Solomon Aegis

Wiltshire, England

April 2007