Unofficial Portkey Archive

Oublier by radagast
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Oublier

radagast

There was a dull throbbing in his lower spine from bending over his desk for long hours at a time and he massaged it with his free hand while his other remained scribbling on reports. Lupin was undoubtedly having a tough month, his worry about Harry increased tenfold by the numerous acts of violence the Death Eaters were undertaking. He yearned to go to Grimmauld Place and reason with Harry until he had rid himself of all guilt but with Penwell's new security measures and tighter working hours every Auror had to be seen putting in all the hours possible. Ivan Penwell, Minister for Magic, was no fool and had members of his own party in every Ministry department, feeding information back to him about the work effort of each employee.

Lupin gave a nod of acknowledgement when Kingsley Shacklebolt strode by his office with a box of files resting precariously in his shovel like hands. Rumours of the reasons for the Death Eaters revival were spreading like wild fire throughout the Ministry and some even feared the rebirth of Voldemort. Lupin wondered how on earth they would ever break the news of Harry's return. How do you give a world back its hero? How do you expect somebody to cope with such pressure?

His thoughts were interrupted when he heard the harried footsteps of Alastor Moody approaching his door. Moody's face was paler than the usual anaemic colour he sported. What was left of his hair was matted to his hair with perspiration and his gash of a mouth and his remaining eye were unmistakeably frowning. "There's been another attack. This one's been a bad one."

"Where?" Lupin responded instantly getting to his feet.

"Leicester Square. Early casualty reports are numbering around twenty," Moody growled moving aside as Lupin stepped out of his office. He paused at this new information and turned slowly to Moody.

"Twenty injuries?" Lupin asked forlornly. Moody shook his head despondently and the two men made their way out of the Auror department gathering eight Aurors along the way. When the doors of the elevator slid open onto the Atrium there was pandemonium amongst the wizards and witches desperately looking for news of loved ones and others demanding explanations of how this could have happened so soon and what the Ministry were doing to put an end to this violence.

"I've been asking around, can't get any information out of that lot," yelled Ron pulling the golden grill from the elevator so that they could vacate it. He had only been told of an attack in London a few moments ago.

"Leicester Square...twenty presumed dead."

Lupin barked the words before making his way to the nearest exit preparing to Apparate outside the wards. Ron stopped dead in his tracks momentarily before speeding after him and the other Aurors.

"Leicester Square, are you sure?!" Ron groaned causing Lupin to pause. "Hermione said she was heading that way today to meet one of her muggle friends."

"Move faster then," Moody snarled, limping off rapidly.

**********************************************

She felt a hand on her shoulder and as she became more aware of her surroundings she realised that the hand was all she could feel. Her vision was still blurred by sleep, she attempted to move but her hands seemed unbearably heavy and seemed to shiver slightly.

"Hermione, wake up," she heard a voice hovering above her. The tone seemed anxious and she knew the owner of the voice was concerned.

"I am awake Harry," she replied, wanting to turn around but continuing to tremble.

"You're shaking really badly, I think you've caught something, like a fever or something," he said his voice now laced with worry.

Finally she managed to turn around and pulled her legs closer to her torso hoping to retain all the heat. "I'm pretty freezing," she conceded finally making eye contact. The fear and worry plagued his usually bright green eyes.

He disappeared from view for a moment and returned with a tartan blanket, tucking it around her snugly. He then sat gingerly beside her on the ground and put his arm around her bulky sleeping bag wanting to create some more heat.

"I should have woken you earlier but...I just thought you were crying because of Ron, I didn't think you were actually shivering from the cold," he confessed with a frown.

"Sure he's gone nearly two weeks now, no point crying over the prat anymore," she whispered groggily attemping to lighten the mood. He spotted the slightest of grins and broke out into a wide smile. A smile seemed quite foreign to them these days, like a lost friend who is only remembered when their memory is most needed. He noticed she wasn't shaking as intensely and began to move his hand up and down the sleeping bag, producing more heat.

"Haven't you slept?" She asked closing her eyes and rolling back onto her side so she was facing him. The fierce wind roared against the canvas tent and she was reminded of all those breezy mornings when she would help her mother hang out the sheets to dry and they would laugh at how difficult it was to control the sheet. However this was no breeze, the wind seemed to want to wipe them off the face of the earth.

"I think it's too cold to sleep," he joked with a grin. The wind gave a particularly vicious howl and her eyes sprung open.

"Sometimes I feel like it's the Death Eaters controlling the wind, like He is commanding the weather," she muttered looking up at him fearfully. He didn't reply but just shook his head and she knew he was telling her not to worry about such things. "Come to bed," she murmured staring at his tired crouched figure.

She watched quietly as he removed his shoes and one of his jumpers. Turning off the small gas lamp he then opened his sleeping bag and slipped inside where he removed his jeans and threw them at his feet."I was right, it is freezing."

She let out laugh despite the horrendous situation they had found themselves in after months of camping. They had always suspected the winter would be difficult but the harsh conditions made daily living a nightmare. Everything became a chore and their hope of suppressing their use of magic was dwindling. They remained in their positions for another few minutes, in comfortable silence neither sensing any inclination to talk but neither being comfortable or warm enough to drift off to sleep.

"You're shaking again," he told her after watching her outline momentarily.

"It'll pass..."

"No, it won't," he responded.

"What are you doing?" she inquired bemusedly as he opened the zip of his sleeping back and climbed out.

"They're big enough to hold two people, the heat from my body should stop you from shivering," he replied and before she knew it he had unzipped her sleeping back, crawled in beside her and zipped it back up again. He made sure the tartan blanket still covered both of them. She felt the extra heat instantly and was so glad of it that she ignored the embarrassment and the fact that she could feel Harry's arm brushing her knee every few seconds as he tried to settle into a cosy position.

After another few minutes they both realised they could not sleep together in the same sleeping bag without contact and finally found a position which suited both. Harry lay flat on his back with Hermione on her side, her legs almost intertwined with his and her hands rested near his abdomen. Their faces were mere centimetres from each other and when he started laughing she could feel the stubble against her face.

"What's so hilarious?" she enquired.

"I left my glasses on and I can barely move my hands to take them off," he chuckled.

She reached up and removed the glasses carefully from his face, placing them on the ground on his side of the sleeping bag. He smiled his gratitude and she resumed her position.

"What would I do without you?" she wondered aloud realising she was now quite comfortable.

"I was just thinking the same thing," he muttered turning his head so they were looking directly into each other's eyes.

The darkness seemed to drift away and she found herself lying on a debris covered floor of what once had been a cafe. Far off in the distance sirens sounded and she thought she made out red light alternating with blue swirling in the ashes floating eerily throughout the room. She remained prostrate on the ground her eyes roving the harrowing scene in front of her. Bodies lay scattered amongst the remnants of tables and chairs that were now no more than splinters. Blood congealed in pools seeping from the lifeless bodies, bringing these strangers closer than they ever hoped for. She had counted eight corpses before gingerly getting to her feet. There was a steady ringing in her ears and she struggled to hear anything.

Her clothes were caked in ash and debris littered her hair. Her legs quivered slightly as the devastation fully hit her. Her friend's blank unseeing eyes stared up at her and despite herself she let out a shaky moan, covering her mouth with her scarred hands and blinking through the salty tears that escaped from her.

Suddenly she heard muffled voices coming from the other end of the cafe, whispering harshly and filled with anger. "Those bloody aurors have put up wards; we'll have to go out the back to meet up with the others."

Immediately she crawled through the rubble and hid behind a coffee dock. She heard muted footsteps and then a hearty laugh. "Merlin, what device did you use to wipe out this place?"

"I made it myself," another voice answered proudly. "Although it does appear to have been too strong considering it knocked us both of our feet."

She shut her eyes, trying to remember the last few moments before the explosion but all she could recall was her memories of that night in the tent with Harry. She let out a shuddering breath, her chest was heaving from the dust she had inhaled and she pressed her hand firmly over her mouth in case the Death Eaters should hear her. The footsteps drew closer to her hiding place and she removed her wand deftly from her coat clinging to it tightly.

"Expelliarmus!" a voice roared from the direction of the entrance to the cafe. She instantly recognised the voice as Lupin's and shooting up from her position behind the coffee dock aimed a stunner at the Death Eater standing closest to her. He was lifted momentarily off his feet before slamming into the register and disappearing over the counter.

The Death Eater whom Lupin had disarmed attempted to flee from the scene but an incensed Hermione summoned a chair towards her, which crashed into the Death Eaters legs with such force that his tibia snapped and he landed flat on the floor. Lupin rushed over to him with his wand held aloft "Incarcerous".

Within fifteen minutes more Magical Law Enforcement had arrived and taken the two Death Eaters to an interrogation room located in the Ministry. News of a gas explosion in the heart of London was being reported across the globe and many victims were having their memories wiped. St. Mungo's emergency department had been flooded with patients while the dead lay spread out in a coroner's office, thirty two body bags in all.

"Are you feeling any better?" Ron asked as he came up behind Hermione, placing both hands on her shoulders. He noticed she trembled slightly. They were peering out over Leicester Square; wizards bustled around gathering evidence and piecing together everything that had occurred. She refused to be seen by a Healer on site, convinced that she only had minor scratches and bruising.

"It's been a while," she finally replied quietly. "Since I've been in this situation...surrounded by death and...fear."

Ron rubbed her shoulder consolingly. "I never stop fearing what's out there. I know how difficult it is not to be afraid; sure I nearly gave up being an Auror because of it. You have to remember why you do it sometimes though. One day we won't have to be afraid, I'll make sure my daughter won't have to grow up fearing the world."

Lupin and Moody ambled over to the pair, both looking exhausted and spent. "I want to offer my services to the Ministry...until we put an end to these attacks."

Raised eyebrows met her words. Hermione had almost fled from the fighting after the war, disappearing into the muggle world for months. She had returned to take up her post at Hogwarts and rarely spoke about the battles she had taken part in during her time in the Ministry.

"You are one the cleverest witches of this century Ms. Granger," said Moody beaming. "Your services will be accepted gladly."

"Are you sure about this?" Ron inquired sceptically. She looked intently at him and nodded.

"I'm not about to begin accepting death again. Not like this," she waved her arm indicating the destruction behind her. There was a squeal as Tonks appeared and bounded towards Lupin, securing him into a vice-like hug. "Thank Merlin you are okay," she whispered.

"I just heard...I'm so sorry Hermione," she said consolingly hugging the witch with as much vigour.

"We need to regroup as soon as we can, draw up a list of available people and start prowling these streets to search out these bastards," Moody growled, his electric blue eye dancing around his head zooming in and out of focus.

"We have no clues as to where they'll strike next," Tonks whined discouragingly.

"We know who they are looking for though," Moody replied with raised eyebrows, his eyes fixed on Hermione.

"You think they attacked here to kill me, to draw him out?" she asked astonished.

"I think it is perfectly plausible." His answer infuriated her.

"So now we are all being targeted, and if we so much as leave our homes we risk other people's lives? This is ridiculous," she spat storming off.

Ron chased after her. "He's not blaming you Hermione...he's just saying we all have to be more watchful. It isn't your fault..."

"Of course it isn't my fault!" she yelled rounding on him. "I was meeting a friend for coffee and thirty two people end up dead...of course it isn't my fault. But this is serious, we have no idea how many Death Eaters are out there. I didn't recognise either of those two in there, they were new...recent recruits," she finished quietly.

****************************

The Ministry was still in chaos when they returned. Wizards ran back and forth looking distraught while reporters lurked in the Atrium firing off questions to random officials who sprinted by. Lupin, Tonks, Moody, Ron and Hermione filed into one of the empty elevators all looking distressed. Just as the grill closed over a hand appeared blocking it and Shacklebolt followed them onto the elevator, ripping the grill across the entrance and turning to them.

"Penwell is getting suspicious," he stated simply.

"Of?" Ron asked confused.

"We've been watching Grimmauld Place, not all the time but whenever we can spare someone. Death Eaters are lurking around the area no doubt but they can't get past the wards. It's only a matter of time before the Minister orders Law Enforcement to search the place." Shacklebolt spoke in hushed tones, wary that someone would overhear even though they were alone in the elevator.

"But doesn't he act through the Aurors?" Hermione enquired perplexed.

"He doesn't trust the Aurors," Lupin answered, concern etched on his face. "Since coming to power he has had his...associates...report everything back to him, from all departments but on our floor his people seem to report back daily. He also doesn't like the fact that a werewolf is one of its senior members. He wants to know every single assignment, every single file and every single act that we carry out." Lupin let out a shuddering breath and ran his hand through his hair. "Hell, he's probably already issued the warrant for the search."

"What?" Hermione panicked. "So we have to take on Death Eaters and the Ministry?"

"We don't have to take on the Ministry per say but they will make it a lot more difficult. Has anyone even thought of how we are going to break His return to the Ministry and the public?" Moody also kept his voice low so it sounded guttural and almost incomprehensible.

"Not until he can trust us at least," Ron pleaded.

"I doubt that's going to happen very soon, if at all," Hermione replied sorrowfully.

"We wait," Lupin resolved. "We deal with whatever we have to do to stop this revival of attacks. When he is ready we'll offer him the choice to fight."

"But Ha..." Ron started irritated.

"Ssshh," Moody cut him off as the elevator ground to a halt. "You do not mention his name within these walls. No doubt Penwell is using more than just spies."

When they departed the elevator numerous Aurors were waiting impatiently in the vaulted room. There was a constant murmur of bickering which ceased when the party walked into the centre of the room. As all eyes drew to the newcomers Hermione became acutely aware of her clothes which were covered with ash and debris.

Moody began the lecture with gusto, rounding up the day's events and foretelling what the consequences would be. Lupin finished by giving them a list of the dead, not only mentioning the five wizards murdered in the incident but the muggles who had fallen too.

"Surely there isn't enough of us to carry out the task of hunting all of them down," complained a scrawny blonde man from the front of the crowd.

"As much as this is about quality than quantity," Shacklebolt started "we urge you to use your contacts to help the Ministry and join forces with us to defeat the Death Eaters. We do need all the wands we can get, and the more wizards we have on our side the harder it will be for the Death Eaters to recruit."

"They're recruiting?!" a voice exclaimed from the back. Anxious fretful talk filled the room before Moody roared for silence.

"There will always be supporters out there. This Ministry will always have enemies and it is up to us to ensure the safety of the wizarding world against said enemies." He swivelled on his one good leg and limped off towards his office. "Let us just pray that the enemies stay out of the Ministry," he muttered to the others on his way out.

The Aurors seemed to have received an electric shock at Moody's words and immediately sprung into action, delegating tasks and organising raids already.

"So is it safe to return to Grimmauld?" Hermione asked of Lupin after a moment of watching the hustle and bustle.

He bit his lip momentarily, weighing up the two sides before settling on an answer. "I think its best we check on him as often as we can."

She nodded in agreement before turning to leave. As she reached the elevator she spotted a tall thin perfectly groomed man pull back the iron grill. Ivan Penwell stepped out flanked by three wizards in black and purple robes. The suit under his robe was impeccable, his shoes shined flawlessly. He stood ramrod straight his face expressionless. His wiry spidery hands were clasped together at his front until one deftly fixed his tie so that it was so close to his adams apple it had the possibility of strangling him. His grey eyes were cold and when they landed on her she fought the urge to look away. His thin lips broke into a calculating smile before he opened his mouth.

"Ms. Hermione Granger. How pleased to finally meet you?" His voice was as false as his hair.

She halted her progression next to him. "And you too Minister."

"I hope you are well after today's incident," his eyes took in her dishevelled appearance before he plastered yet another smile on his face. The smile faltered somewhat when he spoke again. "Such an unfortunate happening. Rest assured the culprits will be brought to justice. I'm currently preparing to pass a new bill you see. It will take away any second chances which Death Eaters might have."

"What do you mean Minister?" she posed innocently however she felt a pool of dread form in the pit of her stomach.

"Reintroduction of the death penalty," he answered, his tone vacant of any emotion.

"Minister, you..." she began but at that moment one of his minions came over and whispered something evidently important to him. He turned and left before she could attempt to finish.