Unofficial Portkey Archive

It's for the Best by witowsmp
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

It's for the Best

witowsmp

Harry Potter belongs to J.K. Rowling, not me.

It's for the Best

Chapter 14 - Flight of the Phoenix

"Hi, guys," said Ginny, as she, Neville and Ron entered the hospital wing.

"How'd tryouts go?" asked Harry.

"Well," said Ginny with a smirk, "the star Seeker decided to skive off. Says he's hurt. I think he's faking."

"Ha-ha," said Harry. "Very funny."

"Well, Katie Bell, a girl named Demelza Robins, and myself are Chasers. Demmy is actually pretty good, especially at dodging Bludgers. We've got a couple new Beaters named Coote and Peakes. They're alright, but not experienced yet. It was a tough call for Keeper. Both Ron and some git named McLaggen seemed to be evenly matched. However, the way that pompous prat acted, I didn't want him on the team. He said he was gonna complain to McGonagall that I picked Ron over him."

"Ron was on the team last year," said Harry. "That should count for something. Besides, there's been at least one Weasley on the team for over ten years," Harry said, "and now two of them have been captains. Quidditch is as much a part of your family as red hair. McGonagall can't take Ron off the team." Harry's countenance took on a more serious tone. "Did anybody try out as Seeker?"

Ginny snorted. "No way. Do you think anyone in Gryffindor is stupid enough to think they're better than you?"

"Were there any good Chaser hopefuls that didn't make the team?" he asked.

"One or two. Why?" Ginny asked, looking confused.

Harry could see that Hermione knew exactly what he was thinking, but their visitors didn't have a clue. "Could I make a suggestion?"

"Of course, Harry," said Ginny.

"Pick the best of those hopefuls and ask them to be on the team as a reserve - going to the practices and everything. That way, if I…" he looked around, trying to figure out the best way to make the suggestion without giving away the possibility that he'd leave the school. "If I end up here again on a game day, you can play Seeker and have that person be a Chaser. They'd be better if they'd been practicing with the team, don't you think?"

Ginny's eyebrows came a bit closer together while she thought about it. "That might be a good idea. You do end up in here a lot. Plus, if any other Chaser is hurt they can play. Dean would probably be the best choice." She took a deep breath. "I suppose I'll talk to him about it…if I can separate him from Padma long enough." She looked sad for a moment before smiling. "Do you know that I had to kick her off the pitch because she wanted to watch Dean try out? I had to remind her that she's a Ravenclaw."

Hermione piped up. "She wasn't spying for Ravenclaw. She just wanted to watch her boyfriend. I mean, Neville came and watched you," she said with a smirk.

Both Ginny and Neville turned scarlet and looked down at the floor. "That, that's totally different!" declared Ginny as she studied her shoelaces, "We're not…I mean…He just wanted to see if Gryffindor had a good team this year. Isn't that right, Neville?"

"Y-y-yes," he stuttered.

"Sorry," said Hermione, not looking at all penitent. Harry had a hard time not laughing. "I just knew that you both were each other's first date and…"

"Well," said Ginny, still not looking at either of them, "You were mistaken. Neville and I are just friends."

"I see."

"Good," said Ginny, now looking up. "Now that that's cleared up, how are you two feeling?"

"Much better," said Harry.

"I always knew Snape was a Death Eater," declared Ron. "I'm glad you gave him what he des…"

"Ron!" said Ginny. "Try to be a little more sensitive. I don't think Harry wants to be congratulated."

"No," said Harry, miserably. "I just want these attacks to stop."

"Hello, Harry, Hermione, Ginevra, Neville and Ronald," said Luna as she entered the hospital wing. Harry noticed Ron's face turn a bit pink. "Since the glorptbeads are back in the Quidditch pitch, I figured that Gryffindor's tryouts were over."

"Yeah," said Neville. "Ginny let herself on the team."

"That's a relief," said Luna casually. "It would be unfortunate if the captain had to dismiss herself from the team."

-

The next day, the young couple was released from the hospital wing, but not early enough to do their exercises, which they would get back to the next morning. Potions classes for that week were cancelled so that a new instructor could be found. However, that only affected Hermione and not Harry since he wasn't in the class.

Aside from that, classes proceeded normally. In Care of Magical Creatures class, Hagrid expressed disappointment that Dumbledore wouldn't let him show the class a dragon. Instead, he showed them a chimaera, which the book, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, described as, "A vicious, bloodthirsty creature with a lion's head, a goat's body, and a dragon's tail." Again, Hagrid said, "Them're just misunderstood creatures." Harry wondered when the basilisk lesson would be ("Now, don' they have pretty eyes? Everyone look.") The beast hit one of the Hufflepuffs with its tail before Hagrid calmed it down, so the victim was relaxing in the hospital wing while Harry was having dinner, telling his girlfriend about his latest adventure.

Hermione was outraged. "He can't show them! Even Chimaera eggs are classified as Class A Non-Tradable Goods. Those monsters have been known to kill people; the most notable was Dai Llewellyn, the famous Caerphilly Catapults player, who was killed by a Chimaera while on holiday in Greece. What is Hagrid thinking!?! He should be showing you creatures like the Clabbert!"

"The what?" asked Harry.

"The Clabbers. It's sort of a cross between a monkey and a frog. The point is that they're friendly creatures that aren't known for killing every human they see."

-

The rest of the week went smoothly, and Harry was able to show up at the two Quidditch practices Ginny had on Tuesday and Thursday. He noticed that she did have Dean at the practices, improving his flying skills and learning Chaser formations so that he could easily replace another player, should the need arise. Ginny even practiced catching the Snitch on Thursday.

Before Harry knew it, he was back in Dumbledore's office for his second lesson. He was very nervous about it, since he now knew the headmaster had lied to him. He decided not to tell Dumbledore that he knew the truth about his magical core, electing to simply learn the spells that the manipulative professor wanted to teach him, but not to let him perform any spells on him. After all, Voldemort was after Harry, so he did need to learn a lot more defense than he already knew. Therefore, the Chosen One thought that the lessons would be beneficial.

-

"Good afternoon, Harry. Sit down," the headmaster said, with a twinkle in his eye.

"Good afternoon, sir," said Harry, trying to hide his nervousness. He glanced around the room until his eyes rested on an empty golden perch.

"Would you like a lemon drop?"

"No, thank you, sir," said Harry, automatically. "Er, where's Fawkes? I don't think he was here last week, either."

Dumbledore's ears went pink, but he spoke with his normal, grandfatherly voice. "Fawkes, naturally, comes and goes as he chooses. Would you like to start our lesson?"

Harry nodded his head while thinking about things he'd read about phoenixes, and wondered if Fawkes left Dumbledore because of his deceit. Phoenixes only stayed with completely light wizards. However, he knew that if Fawkes had left him, Dumbledore would never admit it.

"Very well. Today, we shall learn the Flamma Funis spell, which creates a rope of flames."

"Like you used in the Ministry against Riddle?" asked Harry, remembering the aged wizard's battle with Voldemort.

"Exactly. Now, normally, I perform this spell nonverbally, which, by the way, you should be learning to do this year, but it will work either way. Therefore, I'll teach you to do it while saying the words, but encourage you to learn to do all of your spells without speaking. It tremendously speeds up your spell work."

"Alright," said Harry, agreeing with that statement.

"Now," said the professor, "This particular spell can be used by more people than some of the others that I'll show you later, but I feel that it's a good place to start with your advanced defense lessons." Aiming his wand at the other side of the room, and brandishing it like a whip, Dumbledore said, "Flamma Funis." A rope of flame appeared, striking the wall where he was aiming. "Now watch how I control it, Harry." The student watched the professor move his wand at different angles, and observed how the rope moved with it, even becoming a large lasso when Albus moved his wand in a small, circular pattern. He then moved his wand down quickly, and the rope disappeared. "Now, you try."

Harry imitated the headmaster's motions exactly and said the incantation. He smiled as flames began to shoot from his wand, but unfortunately, his aim was off. The end of the rope hit Dumbledore's bookshelf, and one of the books caught fire. "OH NO!" he exclaimed, banishing the spell and running toward the book, intent on using the water spell on the ancient tome.

Dumbledore flicked his wand and the flames disappeared. "Fortunately, my boy," he said with a small chuckle and a twinkle in his eye, "I've made all my books flame-proof. They will appear to burn if exposed to fire, but will not be damaged."

"That's good," said Harry.

"Now, try again."

Within minutes, Harry was smiling as he mastered this spell, and was testing his speed and wrapping a dummy Dumbledore had conjured in flames. Suddenly, the door burst open, revealing Mr. Filch. Harry put out his flames as the caretaker declared, "Peeves has gone too far this time!" The squib seemed on the verge of tears to Harry. His next statement explained why. "He's hung Mrs. Norris from a hoop on the Quidditch pitch."

Harry's eyes widened and he felt a bit sickened. Dumbledore asked, "He's killed your cat? That seems…"

"No! She's got a rope tied around her belly and she's hanging from the hoops about fifty feet off the ground and swinging back and forth. She's terrified! I demand that you banish Peeves for this offense!"

Harry had a very had time not laughing at that picture. He found himself wishing that Dumbledore's office had a view of the pitch like McGonagall's did. The headmaster replied, "I will get Mrs. Norris back to safety and speak to Peeves. Harry, stay here and continue practicing. I shouldn't be long."

Once the door closed, leaving Harry alone, he said, "Flamma Funis," once again, releasing a flame whip once more. He moved his wand to bring the whip toward him, but it was coming at him too fast to control. He ducked out of the way, and the whip went over his head, behind him, and finally slapped the black cabinet that stood beside Fawkes' perch, making a loud clang. Harry turned to see the piece of furniture shake slightly, opening up to reveal Dumbledore's Pensieve. Harry was a bit surprised to see silvery thoughts inside it, and was revolted to see the face of Severus Snape staring at him from inside. Shaking himself, and realizing that the headmaster had probably been trying to determine the reason for Snape's final act, Harry allowed his curiosity to get the better of him, not for the first time in his life. He walked up to the Pensieve and stuck his wand tip on Snape's face, and bent forward. He found himself falling down until he landed in the very same office he started at, only this time, he wasn't alone.

-

Professor Dumbledore was in his office at Hogwarts examining one of his new instruments. He glanced up at his companion. If Harry could've punched a memory, he would've as he saw the greasy murderer talking to the headmaster. He did notice that Fawkes wasn't in the room then, either.

"Severus, it appears I was mistaken in my prediction. I had thought young Harry would've driven straight to wherever his aunt is now staying to tell her the news of her house, but his motorcycle is still at the Burrow." Harry realized what day this must have been, and wondered why Dumbledore had been studying this memory. He also realized that the headmaster was tracking his bike, and was thankful he'd ridden with Hermione instead.

"Perhaps the ungrateful, arrogant brat doesn't even care for his family."

'Typical Snape,' thought Harry.

"Or perhaps he has found another method to communicate with her. I had hoped to find Petunia Dursley's location so you could relay it to Tom." Harry's eyes went wide as he felt fury begin to fill his chest.

"It would help your status as a Death Eater to lead him to Harry's remaining family, and would help my plan at the same time. If Mr. Potter has no family left, he's much more likely to completely sever his ties to the muggle world, which would tremendously help his popularity with the pureblood families who hold traditional values. Although it would still help if he were to marry a pureblood." Harry couldn't believe what he was hearing.

"Then you haven't given up your plans regarding the Weasley girl?"

"No. I can't use that particular girl anymore; it would be too obvious now. I'm lucky that Harry hasn't realized that I sent him treated candies to begin with. Of course, if he does, I'll simply say that I suspect the owl was intercepted during the trip. I'll be sure to express appropriate remorse over the thought that my gifts were used in such a fashion."

Harry muttered a string of profanities he'd once heard his uncle say about him as rage began to fill him. His face was completely red.

"So which girl will you use? I'll need a hair sample to mix the potion for him."

"I think it would be too dangerous to put the potion in Harry's food with the Granger girl nearby. She's too smart for her own good, and I may need to eliminate her for my plan to succeed. I will have to decide on the new pureblood girl and rethink my strategy before school begins."

Harry's fists were clenched tightly, one of which was holding his wand tightly. Harry wouldn't have been surprised if steam was coming out of his ears. Not only was Dumbledore manipulating him, but he'd been the one to give him the love potion and ordered the attempt on Hermione's life. He felt humiliated that he hadn't figured it out before; betrayed by the man he'd admired above all just a few months before; and angrier than he'd ever felt before. He was shaking with rage when he found himself sucked back into reality.

-

Harry looked around, and was glad to see that he was still alone. He knew that he'd have taken a shot at Dumbledore if he'd been in the room, and would've probably gotten himself killed or obliviated. He ran out of the room and straight to Gryffindor Tower, forgetting to close the cabinet on the way out.

About sixty seconds later, the door to the headmaster's office opened again, revealing the wizened old man in his plum robes with a twinkle in his eye. "Harry," he called jovially, as he looked around for his pupil. He continued to call as he glanced in the other rooms of his quarters, until his eyes rested on the open black cabinet and the Pensieve inside of it. He muttered a swear word.

-

Harry had made it to the Common Room without being stopped by anyone. He didn't see any teachers during the walk, and the few students he saw got out of his way immediately, as it was quite obvious that the Boy-Who-Lived was truly miffed at somebody. He shouted the password at the Fat Lady, who opened the door while saying something about bad manors. He looked around to find Hermione, Ron, Neville and Ginny sitting at a table together revising. He walked up to his friends. "We have to talk, now."

-

"I can't believe it," said Hermione, with a pale expression on her face. "He's, he's supposed to be a hero."

"Hero or not," growled Harry from his bed in the sixth-year boys' dorm, which they'd warded off for privacy, "that son of a…"

"Harry, language!" nagged Hermione.

Ron said, "It looks like he ordered your death, Hermione! The old man deserves to be called a…"

"I know what he is," said Hermione angrily, "but that's no reason to use foul language."

"So, what are you going to do?" asked Ginny, who was holding Neville's hand.

"He controls this school," said Hermione, hanging her head down sadly, "S-so I c-can't stay here." She looked at her boyfriend. "And neither can you."

He took a deep breath. "I know."

"We'll leave, too," said Neville.

"No," said Harry. "You guys and Luna should be fine. If just Hermione and I leave, then he'll think she's the only one I told. I do want you to learn Occlumency, though, in case he asks you questions. In the mean time, I can't tell you where we're going." He then grinned at Ginny and Ron. "Besides, if you two leave, Gryffindor will have no chance for the Quidditch Cup."

"Boys," muttered Hermione, although he could see the hint of a smile on her face.

Begrudgingly, the others agreed to stay at Hogwarts. Ron and Neville helped Harry pack while Ginny helped Hermione. Harry was glad that he'd purchased the trunk that could fit anything into it and shrank down into a wallet. He could easily carry all of his and Hermione's stuff in his pocket. Hermione believed that his motorcycle couldn't be traced while it was inside the magical trunk, and that she'd be able to remove the trace once she turned seventeen in a few weeks. When he came downstairs carrying his trunk, he did draw some attention from his fellow Gryffindors. He felt he should say something. He cleared his throat.

"Er, well, some things have happened, and I think it would be best if I left the school." At that moment, Hermione came downstairs with her trunk. He opened his and helped her stuff her trunk inside his. "Er, Hermione, too."

"Is this about those attacks?" asked Lavender.

"Yes," Harry answered, as to everyone's astonishment, his trunk became a wallet, which he stuffed hastily into his back pocket. They had everything of theirs, except for the Occlumency book and Marauder's Map, which Harry left with Ron. Harry's cloak was in another pocket.

"Give Luna our love," Hermione told Ron while winking, causing him to blush.

"I-I'll say goodbye for you, but I'm not giving her…love."

"I'd suggest you keep training," said Harry, changing the subject.

"Bye," said Hermione, before turning to her boyfriend. "Let's go."

-

They opened the portrait door with their wands out, ready for anything. No one was there, which made them more worried. They put on Harry's Invisibility cloak, and then quickly and silently made their way toward the third floor, finally reaching the statue of the one-eyed witch.

Harry glanced up and down the corridor, took off the cloak (stuffing it in his pocket) and tapped the statue with his wand, whispering, "Dissendium."

At once, the statue's hump opened wide enough to admit a fairly thin person. They quickly glanced up and down the corridor once more, and squeezed their way through, with Hermione going first.

They both slid a considerable way down what felt like a stone slide, than landed on cold, damp earth. "Lumos," said Hermione, lighting up part of the passage. She turned to Harry and asked, "What'll we do if someone's guarding the other end?"

"Er, hopefully we'll be able to get past them under the cloak."

"Maybe that would've worked," came the voice they least wanted to hear. A wand about twenty feet in front of them lit up, revealing the face of Albus Dumbledore. There was no twinkle in his eyes now.

Fury took over Harry's mind as he pointed his wand at their adversary. "DUMBLEDORE! YOU GAVE ME THAT LOVE POTION! YOU ORDERED SNAPE TO KILL HERMIONE!"

"Not precisely," said Dumbledore. "Professor Snape moved too quickly to attack. I would've tried a few more tricks before deciding it was necessary." He sighed. "Of course, now you've given me no choice."

"NO CHOICE!?! Do you think I'm gonna…"

"Tut, tut. You are so insubordinate," said Albus while shaking his head. "Perhaps Severus was right about you. Irregardless, you'll do nothing about it, since after I kill her, I'll give you a new memory. You'll return sadly to your dorm crying that dear Hermione told you she hated you and didn't want anything more to do with you. You'll then find comfort in the arms of…"

"Flamma Funis!" shouted Harry, sending a fire-whip at Dumbledore, who merely waved his wand nonchalantly, causing the whip to turn around and slap Harry in the face, breaking his glasses and pushing him on the ground.

"Reducto!" shouted Hermione, sending a spell at the headmaster, who disappeared, letting the blast hit the wall, causing a small cave-in to block the path to Honeydukes. The headmaster reappeared behind Hermione and pointed his wand at her.

"Expelliarmus!" shouted Harry from the floor, causing Dumbledore's wand to move slightly. However, his grip tightened, so he didn't lose his wand. Harry took that distraction to get up while the professor re-aimed his wand at the brightest witch of her age.

Suddenly, there was a flash of fire, and a large, red phoenix appeared between Hermione and Dumbledore, facing the headmaster. Harry quickly made his way toward his girlfriend, who noticed that he had a small burn on his left cheek, while Albus grinned and said, "Fawkes! I knew you'd come back to me. Capture those two truant students so I can bring them back to school."

The phoenix turned around and flew toward the two teenagers, who were now holding hands. Getting between them, he put one claw on Harry's shoulder, and the other on Hermione's shoulder, and the three disappeared in a flash of fire.

Dumbledore shouted another expletive.

-

Please review. Thank you to those who have.

I'm sure you recognized the passage I copied from chapter 10. I considered several ways for Harry to find out the truth, from a note on the desk to a vial of the love potion, but in the end, I thought Harry seeing that conversation was the best way to reveal the truth.