Unofficial Portkey Archive

Spoil It All by Niffling
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Spoil It All

Niffling

Disclaimer: J.K. is the genius, Harry and co. are hers.

This is my first fic - hope you like it!

Niffling

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~

The kiss was like the softness of a rose petal brushing both their lips as they leaned together sharing each others warmth. Later, they wouldn't be able to recall exactly what had happened, how it had started, but for now, none of that mattered.

It is said that kisses are the language of love, and Hermione couldn't stop herself from thinking that if that were true, Harry was very linguistically talented. She pulled away silently cursing herself for the thought, and looked up into Harry's concerned emerald eyes.

"What is it?" he asked in a soft whisper, "what's wrong?"

Hermione tried to pull away but his strong arms left no room for a struggle, and she was too reluctant to try very hard. Not wanting to answer, she looked away and bit her lip.

"Hey, stop that," he said, and put his fingers under her chin to lift up her face so that she had to meet his eyes. "What's wrong?" he asked again, still looking concerned.

Hermione tried to pull her gaze away but she felt like she was drowning in his eyes, she was as intoxicated by them as she was by the kiss.

"We shouldn't be doing this Harry." She stated simply, although she couldn't help the tone she said it in, or the way it came out, as a sort of unwilling admission.

"Why not?" queried Harry, leaning down to kiss her neck in a teasing way, "hmm?"

"It's just...not… right…" she faltered, and then gasped as she felt Harry's tongue tickle her neck as he slowly sucked the smooth skin.

Harry made to pull away, but she made a frustrated sound and put her hands up to stroke his messy black hair, and to keep his mouth in place on her neck.

She groaned softly, and Harry started to kiss slowly back up her neck until he found her mouth again and they engaged in another tantalising kiss. Each time Harry darted his tongue forward, Hermione's leapt to meet it. Each time his lips pulled away, hers pulled them back.

Hermione felt overwhelmed, she could feel her emotions rise, feel her heart flutter, feel her mind reel. She suddenly realised this was what had been missing; this was the gap in her heart needing to be filled. She felt tears run from her eyes uncontrollably.

Harry felt them too, and pulled away looking puzzled. "Hermione? Hey… what's wrong?" he asked, stroking the tears from her cheek.

She couldn't contain herself. Now that she knew, she had to tell him.

"Oh Harry," she sighed leaning into him, and feeling the safety of his strong arms around her. "Oh Harry, I think I love you."

Harry stiffened; Hermione felt his arms around her pull tight then let go as he pulled away from her.

"Wh- what?" he said looking shocked.

"I- I said I think I love you," she said, and even as she said it she felt her heart break, for if he felt the same surely this wouldn't be his reaction? New tears sprung to her eyes as she registered the look he was giving her, and she held back a sob as the tears ran down her face.

Suddenly, the portrait hole swung open, and as they both turned towards the entrance of the common room they saw the lanky form of Ron Weasley start to pull himself through.

Hermione broke down and just as Ron got through she'd started to run up the staircase to her room.

Ron looked after her regretfully, "Damn was that Hermione?"

"Uh... yeah…" Harry answered looking away and trying to reduce the redness in his cheeks that he knew was there.

Hearing his best friends voice sounding slightly odd Ron looked over at Harry and was shocked at the look on his face. "Hey, what's up mate?" he said softly, and walked over to where Harry was standing.

"Huh? Oh, I, erm, nothing… think I'll get an early night…" and with that he walked off towards their dormitory still looking pensive and in a daze.

"Weird guy," muttered Ron, and collapsed down into his favourite chair by the fire to finish some homework.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~

"Shall we wait for Hermione?" Ron asked Harry as they made their way down to the Griffindor common room the next morning.

"What? Why?" asked Harry in a startled voice.

"To go down to breakfast with her doofus!" Ron chuckled.

"Oh! Um nah its Saturday remember, she might want a lie in or… or something…"

"Yeah, I s'pose you're right," Ron agreed craning his neck to see if she was coming down her set of stairs before giving up and walking after Harry to the portrait hole.

"Good Morning!" cried the Fat Lady cheerfully as they swung her portrait shut behind them.

"And the same to you fine lady!" Ron called over his shoulder, and laughed appreciatively at the flirtatious giggles they could hear emitting from her picture.

Harry rolled his eyes, "Come on, Ron, I'm starving."

"Yeah, yeah, I'm coming," Ron grinned, making no move to speed up.

Harry sighed, then suggested: "Fine then, race you!" and he sped off, knowing full well that Ron would be at his heels.

They broke through the doors to the dining hall together, and gasping for breath made their way to the Griffindor table.

The first person Harry noticed was Hermione, who was looking the other way obviously not wanting them to join her. Harry made to sit down by Seamus and Dean, but Ron had spotted Hermione and dragged Harry up to sit opposite her.

"Hey Herms, how you doing on this bright sunny day?" Ron asked looking up at the magical ceiling and seeing nothing but blue sky.

Hermione made a non-committal noise and looked over at Harry, who quickly looked away. Tears welled up in her eyes and she jumped up muttering something about going outside before bolting to the door.

"What was all that about?" Ron mused, who, having been staring at the sky, hadn't noticed anything.

"Dunno," shrugged Harry, and began eating his breakfast with a fierce concentration.

Harry let Ron talk himself out about Hermione until he got onto a more neutral topic - Hogsmeade.

"So look, do you want to go or not because I need some more Zonko's stuff to be honest."

Harry snorted into the remainder of his cereal, "Ron, you never need more, you just want it!" he joked.

"Yeah well," Ron admitted, "Amounts to the same thing doesn't it?! Just because you don't physically need something to survive, doesn't mean you don't want it just as bad." He said philosophically; whilst Harry's stomach did some kind of squirming flip as he pushed aside the thought of Hermione.

"Yeah alright," he grumbled, "let's go."

"What about Hermione?" Ron said, looking around as they got up to see if he could spot her.

"Nah, she'll just tell us off for getting Zonko's stuff, and frown at you flirting with Rosemerta!" Harry laughed, trying to sound as light hearted as possible. Thankfully Ron agreed, and they spent a Hermione free day shopping in Hogsmeade, spending a long time deciding what to buy Hagrid, whose birthday it was the next day.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Hermione spent the day in the library with her head buried in her Ancient Runes homework, grateful that the work was difficult enough to totally engross her - at least most of the time. She groaned inwardly as she had yet another flash back of that night and Harry's face as she said those words… words she somehow suspected she wouldn't be repeating in a hurry.

How could she have been so stupid, she chastised herself, they'd only just kissed for God's sake, and already she declared her love for him. She toyed with the idea that it simply wasn't true, that she'd been out of her mind, but she realised that she couldn't kid herself. She really did love Harry, but she'd always convinced herself it was in a friendly way, nothing more.

She felt her heart squeeze tight as she realised this was exactly the way Harry loved her - or had loved her, because she very much doubted he could even stand her as a friend now. No, Harry had loved her like a friend and just kissed her because he felt like it, that was all. He just felt like kissing her senseless for a few minutes, before returning to their usual friendly relationship. Then she'd gone and ruined it all.

And then I go and spoil it all by saying something stupid like I love you…

The lyrics sang through Hermione's head as she put her face in her hands and bent over her Runes book, so that no one would see the hurt etched in her face.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Harry awoke on Sunday with a slightly uneasy feeling, after an odd dream about Hermione chasing after him and him running away and hiding in the Room of Requirement. He looked at the time and suddenly realised he'd slept in late - again - and should probably make his way to Hagrid's to wish him a happy birthday and give him the dragon calendar Harry had purchased the day before.

Just as he'd finished getting dressed, Ron launched himself into the room exclaiming,

"Ah there you are lazy bones! I was wondering where you'd got to, but got engaged in a game of chess with this tiny first year who thought he could take me on." Harry grinned appreciatively as Ron crossed his arms looking smug, "No chance, of course! Anyway, let's go to Hagrid's yeah? I don't know where Hermione is… no one seems to have seen her… do you think she's ill?"

Harry turned away as he mumbled, "Yeah could be… let's go anyway, Hagrid might have some food!"

They made their way down to Hagrid's hut and knocked on the door. As he answered the smell that poured out was delicious, it appeared someone had prepared a whole Sunday lunch in honour of the occasion.

"Happy birthday!" Harry and Ron chorused, and Hagrid beamed down at them.

"'Ello 'Arry, Ron, come in, come in," he said opening his door wide so that they could see the feast laid out on his table, "You'll stay for dinner?" Hagrid asked with a knowing twinkle in his eye.

"Will we ever!" Ron replied enthusiastically, diving for a seat at the table.

"Thanks Hagrid," said Harry appreciatively, as he sat on the bench opposite Ron. "This looks great!"

"Oh don't thank me, Hermione did it all!" Hagrid explained, making Harry sit bolt upright in surprise. "Tha's righ'! Ah here she is, just went to grab some carrots from the garden!"

Harry looked across to Hermione, who had just entered through the back door, clutching some carrots in her hand. They shared an awkward look before Ron interrupted them:

"Hermione this looks awesome!" he yelled going over to her and hugging her tightly. "So this is where you've been? Good - we were starting to worry, weren't we Harry?" he said, turning to face Harry who still looked rather startled.

"Wha-? I- no! No, I wasn't worried at all," Harry said nonchalantly, "I mean-"

He added seeing the hurt look on Hermione's face, "I mean we didn't need to worry, did we? She was here all along…"

"Charming," Hermione muttered, as she crossed to the sink and waved her wand at the freshly picked carrots, which were peeled and sliced in no time.

"I'll just get another chair," she said, trying not to look at Harry as she did so, but she didn't get away with it.

"Don't bother Hermione, there's enough space on that bench next to 'Arry!" Hagrid pointed out, leaving Hermione no choice but to squash on next to Harry.

Whatever Hagrid may have said, Hermione would have much preferred to be on a much longer bench than this with Harry, preferably the length of the ones in the great hall, so that she had less chance of brushing arms with Harry as they ate. Thankfully Ron was so engrossed in the food and Hagrid seemed to have indulged in enough birthday wine so that neither of them noticed the awkward silence that hung like a cloud over the bench just next to them.