Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Prince by Alexandria Malfoy
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Prince

Alexandria Malfoy

A/N- Longest chapter yet! It's not too much longer but, well, there's a whole lot in it. I'm thinking that chapter 5 will be much longer, though, because that's when everything goes to hell in a handbasket. Enjoy reading!

The Prince

Chapter 4


Draco's Seventh Year, Ginny's Sixth

"Draco, I really don't know if I should go with you."

"Don't worry at all, Ginny. You-Know-Who is on the continent searching for something or other and my parents have received permission to clear out the Manor for the Christmas holidays. Just trust me."

"But what about my parents and the rest of my family?"

"Just tell them that you're going to Luna's for the hols and Longbottom's staying with the two of you as well. Which is mostly true, but you're only spending about three days with Luna."

"Promise that nothing bad will happen to me?"

"I promise that nothing bad will ever happen to you as long as you're with me."

To seal the deal, Draco took Ginny's hand into his own, kissing the top of it, before wrapping her in a hug.

"I would never let anything bad happen to you, Ginny. Never."

* * * * * * * *

Malfoy Manor was not always the grandiose spectacle that it is today.

When the Mal Foi clan migrated over from Gaul (modern-day France, Italy, and Belgium) in the late eighth century to what is now Wiltshire, the thirty member tribe was initially scattered across what became the overall property. Their leader, Orion Mal Foi, had settled on the part of the property that now holds the manor-house.

Through trade, both wizarding and Muggle, legal and illegal, the Mal Fois made their fortune, eventually changing their name to Malfoy sometime during the thirteenth century. It was also around this time that the manor-house began its transformation into the manor-house that is seen today.

Up until the mid-eleventh century, the Mal Fois were still scattered across their land, until Hyperion Mal Foi's son, Lucien, began construction on a home big enough for the entire family. What was at first a stone castle became a modern, marble structure upon Orion Malfoy's (1826-1902) ascension to the Head of House.

- From The History of the Malfoys, Third Edition

* * * * * * * *

"Ginny, is that you?"

Ginny walked up to stand behind Draco at his desk and wrapped her arms around his shoulders, leaning down to plant a kiss on top of his head.

Draco's gaze travelled upward to see a smiling Ginny.

"Have you heard from parents at all?" Draco asked with concern.

"I just got an owl from Mum. She sounded rather happy that I was spending the hols with Luna. Just as long as I write to her around three times a week. I think she's pleased with the fact that I'm not begging her to stay with her and Dad," Ginny finished, mentally replacing "her and Dad" with "the Order".

"Excellent," Draco replied with a smile. "Are you packed?"

Ginny pulled her trunk out of her robe pocket, using an Engorgio spell to return the trunk to its original size. "It's all here."

"Okay. As soon as the clock strikes one, we'll leave." Draco glanced at the grandfather clock on the opposite wall. "That gives us about an hour. Can you think of anything that we could do fill in that time?" Draco asked, smirking.

Ginny immediately relinquished her hold on Draco to sprint across the room.

"Gin, as your Head Boy, I highly suggest that you not run away, lest you enjoy being punished."

Ginny turned around to see Draco stalking toward her; smirking as though he were a cat who finally caught his mouse.

"There's no use running, Ginny. I always get what I want," Draco murmured, bringing his lips down upon Ginny's.

* * * * * * * *

"It is so good to see you home, Master Draco!"

Draco and Ginny were immediately assaulted by a squealing Fizzy, who had decided to attach herself to Draco's left leg.

Draco looked down at the small elf, using his free hand to give her a pat on the head. "It's good to see you, too, Fizzy," he replied with a chuckle.

Fizzy let go of her death grip on Draco's leg to look at both him and Ginny with orbous blue eyes. She took in the sight of Ginny then glanced down to see Draco and Ginny's clasped hands.

"Master Draco, who is the young Miss with you?" she asked, her forehead creased in confusion.

"This is my girlfriend, Ginny. She will be staying with us for most of the Christmas hols. I want you to treat her exactly the same way that you treat me. Is that understood, Fizzy?"

The elf nodded, her large ears flopping violently. "Yes, Master Draco."

"Are my Mother and Father home?"

"Master Malfoy is not here right now," Fizzy replied hesitantly, knowing exactly where Lucius was. "But Mistress Malfoy is home, sitting in the atrium. Should Fizzy escort Master Draco and Miss Ginny to Mistress Malfoy?"

"No, Fizzy, that won't be necessary. If you could just take our bags for us, that would be great. Make sure that Ginny's room is right next to mine."

Fizzy bowed in understanding, snapping her fingers, leaving Draco and Ginny alone, their trunks already with her.

Draco turned to Ginny with a smile, "Read to meet Mother?"

Ginny replied with a nervous grin, "As ready as I'll ever be."

* * * * * * * *

Narcissa stood in the atrium, attending to a clump of white narcissi that were being particularly troublesome.

"Mother?"

She turned at the sound of her son's voice to see him, smiling, hand entwined with that of redheaded girl only a head shorter than him.

"Draco!" she cried out, running to wrap her son in a warm embrace. "Oh, I've been so worried about you. How is school?" she asked, letting go and leading the pair to a tea table near the narcissi.

"School is just fine, Mother."

"Are you keeping up with your grades? I heard that those awful Carrows have actually been given teaching jobs there." Narcissa wrinkled her nose in disgust. "I am appalled that Severus would do something so crass."

"I have been keeping up with my school work, and I do believe that Professor Snape had other outside influences when choosing the Carrows," Draco replied, giving a significant look to his mother.

"Oh," Narcissa squeaked, understanding the implied message. Her eyes flitted around the room, trying to think of a different topic of conversation before her grey orbs alighted on Ginny.

"Draco, please introduce me to the lovely young lady by your side."

Ginny blushed under Narcissa's inquisitive gaze.

"This is Ginny Weasley, Mother. Ginny, this is my mother, Narcissa Malfoy," Draco stated, motioning between the two women.

"Ah, yes, I've heard so much about you. I've never seen my son happier," Narcissa said with a smile directed toward Ginny.

"As have I, Mrs. Malfoy. Thank you so much for allowing me to stay in your lovely home."

Narcissa waved her hand dismissively. "Oh, it's no trouble at all, dear. And please, call me Narcissa."

Ginny inclined her head slightly. "Of course…Narcissa," she replied, rolling Narcissa's name off of her tongue as though she was savouring the taste and feel of it like the biscuit on her plate.

"I assume that Draco has told you about our family's annual Christmas ball?" Narcissa asked, bringing her tea cup to her lips for a sip.

Ginny glared at a visibly sheepish Draco. "No, he did not tell me about your ball."

"I insist that you attend with Draco. It's one of, if not, the most talked about event of the season," Narcissa stated with the familiar cold pride that Ginny had come to associate with the Malfoys.

"I would love to attend, Narcissa, but I am afraid that I did not pack any dress robes. I would have, had I'd known."

Narcissa waved her hand again. "That can be taken care of, dear."

"Are you sure? I don't want to take advantage of you or your kindness."

"It's no trouble at all," Narcissa replied with a smile. She glanced down at her diamond-rimmed wristwatch. "I'm afraid I must leave you two now. If you wish to take a tour of the atrium or the Manor as a whole, Ginny, you are more than welcome to. If you'll excuse me," she finished, standing and exiting the atrium.

Draco watched his mother leave, standing once she was out of sight. He pulled Ginny's chair out for her, extending a hand to lead her around the atrium.

"Does your mother care for all of the plants here?"

"For the most part. The house elves take care of them when she's on vacation, but other than that, the atrium is all her handiwork. My mother considers gardening a form of therapy."

Ginny paused as she spotted a cluster of tiger lilies and cornflower-coloured orchids.

"Draco," she turned to face him, "do you think I can set up my painting supplies in here?"

"I'll have to ask Mother about it, but I don't see why she would say no."

Ginny gave Draco a quick peck on the cheek. "Thank you."

* * * * * * * *

The Next Day

"Rise and shine, Ginny. We have a very busy day ahead of us," Narcissa announced, throwing open the curtains in Ginny's room.

Ginny rolled over to face the window, half-squinting, half-glaring at Narcissa. The sun was a little too bright, in her opinion, and as Ginny turned to glance at the clock on the nightstand, she couldn't help but groan.

Eight o'clock in the morning.

If it weren't for the fact that she was Draco's mother, Narcissa would've been dead by now.

Said mentioned subject of Ginny's ire turned to face the upset young woman, frowning when she realized that her son's girlfriend was not a morning person.

"Ginny, I know you may be upset with me right now, but if we're to find you a dress for the Christmas ball, then we need to start early. I'll have you know that I have made appointments with several shops and some of my own personal couturiers."

Ginny groaned again, rolling over, pulling the comforter over her head as she did so.

Narcissa glared at the defiant bundle of blankets, simultaneously placing her hands on her hips and clucking her tongue.

In five swift strides, she was by Ginny's bed, yanking off the crimson covers with a rather elegant flourish.

Ginny screeched at the sudden change in temperature, curling into a fetal position in hope of some warmth.

Narcissa sighed in exasperation. "Fine. Stay under your covers." Narcissa turned away to leave the room, fed up with Ginny, before stopping dead in her tracks, a truly devious smirk blossoming on her face. "Since it's blatantly obvious that you are uninterested in attending the ball, then I guess Draco can just find another date. I hear Daphne Greengrass and Tracey Davis are available. Or maybe Pansy Parkinson. Merlin knows that girl is still in love with Draco."

Narcissa had to cover her mouth to stifle a giggle as Ginny shot straight up in bed, wide-eyed and slightly frazzled.

Ginny's feet tentatively touched the cold hardwood floor beneath her bed, their owner shivering as she acclimated herself.

Safe with the knowledge that Ginny was (slowly) getting out of bed, Narcissa began to make her way towards the door, only to be stopped by Ginny planting herself directly in Narcissa's path.

"It will be a cold day in hell before some cow like Pansy Parkinson takes my boyfriend anywhere."

Narcissa stared at Ginny, eyes wide and devoid of emotion. "I have no idea what you are talking about, dear."

Ginny glared at Narcissa, realization slowly dawning in her sleep-addled mind. "That was evil."

The blonde woman standing in front of Ginny covered her mouth with a hand, allowing only a small giggle to escape.

"Well, if you weren't being so uncooperative, then I would not have had to resort to such extreme measures."

Ginny sighed in annoyance. "Fine. Give me twenty minutes."

"Meet me in the dining room when you're done," Narcissa sang out, waggling her fingers as she walked out.

* * * * * * * *

Ginny sighed for what seemed like the millionth time that day as Narcissa dragged her to different shops in search of the perfect dress.

When Narcissa deemed the whole of England completely unsatisfactory when it came to a dress, she Side-Along Apparated Ginny to Paris' version of Diagon Alley, Rue de Sorcier. As soon as their feet hit the ground, Narcissa brought Ginny to her favourite shop - a small boutique with a gold plaque next to its unobtrusive door, signifying its importance and social status.

Narcissa gave the door two sharp knocks before a raven-haired woman with blunt, French bangs and mid-back length hair answered, quickly ushering Narcissa and Ginny inside.

The woman turned to Narcissa with a smile, guiding her two customers over to a tea table in front of a covered platform and three angled mirrors.

"How can I help you today, Narcissa?" the dark-haired woman asked with the slightest of French accents.

"I'm in need of a dress for my son's girlfriend, Ginny," Narcissa responded, motioning to Ginny.

The French woman extended a hand to Ginny. "Adrienne Clemenceau, at your service," the woman replied once Ginny shook her hand.

"I thought that your expertise regarding dresses and the like would most benefit Ginny," Narcissa stated as Adrienne turned to face her.

"Occasion?"

"My family's annual Christmas ball."

"Ah, but of course."

Adrienne flicked her gaze over to Ginny, quickly taking in her features.

"Stand," Adrienne commanded with a flick of the wrist.

Ginny shot up out of her seat, her eyes darting around in nervous anticipation.

Adrienne circled around Ginny several times, taking measurements with a tape measure hanging around her neck.

Satisfied, Adrienne disappeared behind a maroon-coloured curtain, coming back out with five different dresses on a clothing rack.

She pulled a teal, empire-waisted, silk and chiffon sheath, handing it over to Ginny. "Try this on."

"Where?"

Adrienne motioned to a black curtain next to the maroon one, watching as Ginny rushed through it.

Ginny came back out about five minutes later, going to the platform to stand. Adrienne had Ginny turn around in the dress a couple of times before shaking her head and sending her back to the black curtain with another dress.

It wasn't until the fifth dress that Adrienne jumped out of her seat in excitement.

"C'est parfait!"

Ginny lifted up the emerald green skirt. "Do you really think so?"

"Oh, Ginny dear, you look wonderful!" Narcissa exclaimed with a smile.

Ginny turned to look at her reflection in the three mirrors.

The dress really was perfect.

It was sleeveless; two green wide muslin straps covered her shoulders and extended to about five inches past her collarbone. The bodice cut straight across Ginny's chest, stopping right above her hips. The skirt flared out slightly, trailing out behind her a bit. It flowed as she moved, the muslin allowing air to seep through so the dress breathed with each movement. The design was simple, but the rich emerald of the fabric complimented Ginny's hair and complexion perfectly.

Ginny twirled around a bit more before stepping off of the platform.

Narcissa rose out of her seat and walked over to Ginny, resting a hand on her shoulder. "Is this the one you want, Ginny?"

"This dress is lovely, but again, are you sure you don't mind buying this for me?"

"Of course I don't mind!" Narcissa turned to Adrienne. "We'll take it."

A/N- As always thanks to Lady Laurelin and Lisa for their help.

C'est parfait = It's perfect
Rue de Sorcier = Wizard Street

Please review!