Unofficial Portkey Archive

Coming to Peace by papermask
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Coming to Peace

papermask

There's a fighting scene in this chapter. I've never really been good with fights, so please let me know what you think of it. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harry shifted in the bed. He still couldn't sleep. So many memories were flooding his mind. Memories of how he and Hermione finally came to be together. Heaven knows it wasn't easy. Yet, through it all, Harry somehow knew that everything would be okay in the end. It wasn't long after Harry and Hermione had kissed that Ginny started to become clingy and controlling. Now, not only were they fighting almost every day, afterwards Ginny would come to Harry with a sappy apology and follow him around like a lost puppy. Needless to say, this put a major strain on Harry and Hermione's secret meetings, which were already winding down in number. Something had to give.

"Harry, tell me why you're acting this way!", Ginny yelled. Harry looked toward the children's rooms. He didn't want any of them to hear this, especially his little Lily.

"Ginny, you either need to lower your voice or we need to take this outside," Harry whispered sharply. Ginny scowled.

"Fine. We're going outside then.", She snapped. They both walked outside. They weren't outside for half a minute before Ginny jumped on Harry again.

"Harry, I swear, you've got to tell me what is wrong with you! You've been acting insane for the part seven months, and I can't take this anymore!", Ginny yelled.

"For goodness sakes, Ginny, I don't bloody belong to you!", Harry snapped. Ginny looked surprised, if only for a moment.

"Harry, what is going on?", She said more calmly than before. Harry sighed.

"Ginny, I can't do this anymore."

"Do what? Live!?", Ginny hissed. Harry rubbed his forhead.

"No, Ginny. This. I can't...I can't stay with you anymore. I can't do this anymore," Harry said flatly. Ginny stared at him with an expression mixed with surprise and sadness.

"So it's true," She said weakly,"You have been cheating on me, haven't you?"

"What? No, Ginny that's not -"

"Then what is it!? What have you been doing for the past months, then?", Ginny yelled. She was obviously frustrated and confused.

"Ginny, there's more than one reason to this. It's difficult", Harry lied. It was rather simple: he didn't love her.

"For goodness sakes, Harry, you sound like Hermione!", Ginny snarled. This caught Harry's attention.

"Don't bring her into this!", He yelled a little too quickly. Ginny opened her mouth to say something, but then closed it. It was like the light bulb flashed on. Ginny looked at Harry increduously.

"Oh my gosh," Ginny whispered, "Harry...you've...you've been cheating on me with...her?"

"No, Ginny, all we've done is talked!", Harry said. He decided to keep the kiss he had shared with Hermione to himself.

"Right, you've spent all these months, maybe even years, talking. Yeah, that's it exactly," Ginny said sarcasticly. This infuriated Harry.

"YES GINNY, THAT IS ALL WE'VE BEEN DOING!", Harry screamed, "I hadn't properly talked to one of my best friends in twenty-three years, and because of you, no less! How do you think that made me feel!? You and Ron have watched me and Hermione like a couple of hawks! Whenever we got anywhere near each other, you both would be enraged! You were so convinced that we were going around behind your backs that you forced us apart! Did you or Ron even NOTICE that I had slipped into a deep depression? Or that Hermione was too thin and malnourished because of the sadness she felt? Or were you both too happy with your 'prize' spouses!?"

Ginny stared blankly at Harry, small tears forming in her eyes. She knew it was true. She knew that she wasn't in love with Harry anymore. Yet, even worse, she knew that she had been trying to keep Harry and Hermione apart. Plus, Ron's love for Luna Lovegood wasn't so much of a secret anymore. Ginny knew Ron and Luna had never actually done anything, but that he loved her. So Ron had Luna, and Harry obviously wanted Hermione. Ginny knew that she would just have to let go. But where did that leave her?

"I want a divorce, Harry," Ginny said calmly. Harry stared at her, then nodded his head.

Harry remembered what had happened after the fight with Ginny. He had apparated to Hermione's home, expecting her to be reading or resting. What he found was a slightly teary Hermione listening to Ron and Luna.

...so you see, Hermione, things just aren't the same," Ron said. Hermione looked up and saw Harry, and for just a moment, she felt as though she wasn't alone.

"What's going on?", came Harry's voice. Ron and Luna turned to see Harry standing behind them. Ron opened his mouth to speak.

"Well..um..you see -"

"Ron and Luna were just explaining their relationship to me," Hermione interjected. Ron looked at Harry, expecting to find him furious, but Harry only nodded in understanding.

"We've only ever kissed, Hermione, I promise," Luna started. Hermione held her hand up.

"Luna, don't worry. I'm not mad. In fact I understand completely," Hermione said while she glanced at Harry, "I just wish you two would have told me sooner. To be truthful, I've known about this for some time. I read one of your letters, Ron," Hermione added sheepishly. Luna smiled lightly, while Ron looked extremely relieved. He turned to Harry.

"So, Harry, what brings you here? Have a fight with Ginny?", Ron added jokingly. When Ron saw that nobody was laughing along with him, he stared at Harry seriously.

"Harry, what happened?", Ron asked a little too forcefully. Harry looked at Hermione, then back at Ron.

"Ginny and I did fight. We've both decided that we want a divorce", Harry replied. Hermione looked up at Harry with a hopeful expression. Ron stared at Harry without much of an expression, and Luna seemed to be preoccupied with digging something out of her purse.

"Are you very angry, Ron?", Harry asked. Ron continued to stare at Harry, then sighed.

"No, I suppose not. I mean...I think we all sort of saw it coming. Just promise me you won't hurt her anymore," Ron said. Harry was slightly hurt by this, but agreed anyway. There was an awkward silence, but Luna's voice broke it as she pulled out a small plastic bag from her purse. It was empty.

"My mum used to say that no problem was unsolvable given a large enough plastic bag," Luna said. Everyone stared at her, then started to laugh.

"Luna, what does that even mean?", Ron asked laughingly.

"You know, I'm not sure," Luna replied, "Hermione, do you know?"

"Actually, for once Luna, I don't think I do," Hermione said happily. They all laughed once more.

After that night, Harry and Hermione spent almost every day together. Harry moved into Hermione's house, while Ron moved into Luna's. About a year into their relationship, Ginny began to heal as well. She eventually got into a rather serious relationship with Neville Longbottom, whom she ran into at the shops. They were still currently dating, but everyone was expecting Neville to pop the question soon. Harry turned over onto his side.

He and Hermione had had a spring wedding, with blooming flowers and casual breezes. Ron and Luna decided on a winter wedding. The children adapted fairly well to their new relatives. Granted, it had taken them some time for them to get the just of it, but by this time, they were all settled. And now, it was almost five years later, and Harry was happier than he had ever been. He ran his fingers through Hermione's bushy yet beautiful hair, causing her to wake up slightly.

"Mmm, is everything alright, Harry?", She asked. Harry smiled and kissed her on the cheek.

"Everything is perfect," He replied. Harry Potter wrapped his arm protectively around Hermione Granger-Potter's waist, and was finally able to slip into a peaceful sleep.

The End.

-->