Unofficial Portkey Archive

Black's Secret by Konflickted
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Black's Secret

Konflickted

Black's Secret

Chapter One: The Boy

"Come on, Harry, or we are going to be late," moaned Ron as he stood outside of the bathroom door. He really needed to use the loo, but Harry had been in there nearly half an hour trying to tame his wild mane of hair.

"Why does she insist that we attend these things?" Harry grumbled as he flung the door open. Ron rushed in and didn't even bother closing the door before relieving himself.

"Don't rightly know, but it seems like we are attending these parties more often," Ron groaned as sweet relief washed over him. He jiggled and zipped his pants.

"You better wash your hands, for Merlin's sake," Harry groaned as Ron headed towards him. Ron's cheeks flushed bright red with embarrassment, and he stopped at the sink.

"I was, don't worry," Ron defended. Harry nodded, but neither of them believed it. Ron had gotten a bit distracted as of lately, and was forgetting things like this. Harry had offered to take him to St. Mungo's but Ron had refused him. He attested that there was nothing wrong with his mind.

"Maybe if Hermione wasn't so damn good at what she does, she wouldn't be winning all of these awards," Harry said as Ron dried his hands on the good guest towels Kreatcher set out for such use.

"But she wouldn't be Hermione if she wasn't doing so good," Ron murmured.

"No, I wouldn't be Hermione if I wasn't doing so well, Ron. Honestly," Hermione chastised gently. "I think someone must have addled your brains the way you have been as of lately. You seem to have such atrocious grammar."

"I guess I have been spending too much time down in the Regulation of Trolls Department," Ron defended.

"Perhaps," Hermione said suspiciously as she checked her watch. She began to panic. "We need to leave right this minute or we will be late!"

"Herms, the thingy doesn't even start until seven," Ron said as he straightened his shirt. He hoped his own hair looked at least as good as Harry's hair, though Ron was suspicious as to how much hair elixir Harry had used. His brown locks looked like a solid piece of brown plastic molded to Harry's head.

"If you forget Ron, Hermione never arrive later than two hours before any sanctioned event," Harry teased as his eyes did an involuntary sweep of the satiny chocolate colored dress. She looked like a delicious walking candy bar, and Harry's stomach growled mercilessly as he laughed.

"As the guest of honor, I have a duty to arrive early to make sure that I know what my prompts and keys are. You would know that it if either of you had received any awards and recognition for your work at the ministry," Hermione said stuffily. Harry grinned and shook his head.

"No, thank you. I have had enough recognition in my life to last me a life time," Harry said as he adjusted his glasses a bit.

"And I am just too lazy," Ron yawned. Hermione and Harry laughed. It was true. Ron had chosen a position at the ministry that rarely had anything to do. Not many trolls wandered into the ministry to apply for anything, so Ron spent most of his day playing Solitaire. Ron had to admit that he was getting rather proficient at the muggle game, and if there was ever an award for it, he was a sure win.

Harry opened the door of the house, 12 Grimuld Place, laughing at Ron some more and started to walk out of it only to stop as he spotted a child standing there. Harry stared at the child, and then glanced back at Hermione and Ron who were still laughing. Hermione, seeing Harry standing there gaping at the small child, stopped laughing and joined him at the door.

The child had huge blue eyes, these bright and eerily wise looking blue eyes, a small, slender frame and jet black hair that curled just below the ears. It was wearing jeans and a tee shirt, all miniature in size. Despite the cool evening, the child did not have a jacket. It carried a small back pack, but nothing else.

"What is it?" Ron asked as he came up behind Harry and Hermione.

"A child, Ron, a child," Hermione said. "You have how many nieces and nephews, and you still don't know what a child is?"

"No, of course I know what a child is," Ron defended haughtily. "I meant whose kid is it, and like, what kind is it?"

"I'm a boy," the child spoke softly.

"Where did you come from?" Hermione asked sweetly as she brought her hands to her knees and ducked down to the child's level. The child frowned slightly.

"When a Mummy and a Daddy love each other very much…" The boy started. Harry laughed.

"We know where babies come from," Harry laughed. The child looked affronted. Harry stopped laughing at once. "What Hermione means is how did you come to being on my door step?"

"My mother says that this is where I belong," The child said as he looked longingly toward the fire.

"Harry, bring him inside," Hermione said as a cool breeze entered the house. She had shivered, and she knew the child must be cold without a jacket to keep him warm. Harry ushered the child in through the door and into the pallor where the large flames of the fireplace licked the stones of the fireplace.

"Harry, I have to go," Hermione mentioned. She looked at the boy. "You need to stay here, get him something warm to eat or drink, and I will pop right back here when I am done."

"Should I come with you or shall I stay and entertain the child?" Ron asked goofily as he glanced over at the boy who was sitting very still on the couch closest to the fire.

"Knowing you, you had better come with me," Hermione said as she exited the room. Ron and Harry followed her. Hermione lowered her voice. "Find out where the kid's parents are and any other information about him, will you?"

"Ok," Harry said nodding. Hermione glanced back into the room.

"He doesn't look old enough to be left alone, so keep an eye on him, ok?" Hermione said quickly. "Don't let anything happen to him. Got it?"

"Yes, Mum," Harry teased. "I think I can handle one kid by myself for a bit while you are out, and who knows, maybe his mum and dad will be back to get him, realizing they have left him on the wrong door step."

"Even so," Hermione murmured. "Just watch him, ok?"

"Yes, yes," Harry said impatiently. "Now you just get your award and hurry back."

-->