Unofficial Portkey Archive

Black's Secret by Konflickted
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Black's Secret

Konflickted

Parlor Talk

"This is not a good sign, Ron," Hermione whispered as the two of them entered the silent house. Her heart began strumming in her chest as she clutched Ron's arm in anticipation of something horrible. The house was too quiet at this hour and she wasn't sure what she was going to find as she walked into the parlor.

"Maybe they have gone to bed?" Ron offered weakly as he made a face. Hermione's sharp nails seemed to dig into his freckled flesh.

"At this hour?" Hermione challenged as they glanced around the room. The fire was quite low, with just a few embers glowing in the grate.

"How'd it go?" Harry asked from the chair closest to the fire. Hermione yelped, startled by Harry.

"I should ask you the same thing. Where is the boy?" Hermione asked as she glanced around for him.

"Upstairs, asleep I presume," Harry said as he crossed his arms against the chill in the room. Hermione walked over to the fire place and stoked the fire with the poker.

"But its not even ten," Ron said as he reflected Hermione's earlier argument.

"I guess kids go to bed early," Harry said shrugging. He was tempted to summon Kreatcher to bring him a blanket or a sweater, but Harry knew Hermione would take offense to that. She was still all about equal rights for all things inhuman.

"Harry, I hope you know, you can't keep him," Hermione said. She was always the voice of reason. "He is not a puppy that followed you home or wandered into your yard. He is a child."

"His mother, Colby's mother, Celeste was Sirius' lover," Harry said as he held the letter for Hermione to read. Hermione took the letter and read it, moving one of the stupid decorative pillows out of her way before she sat on the couch.

"Be that as it may, we don't know if Celeste even has rights to the child," Hermione said gently. "He should stay here tonight, but tomorrow we need to take him to the ministry and get this worked out."

"Herms, the ministry will put him in a home or orphanage," Harry protested. Hermione placed the letter on the cocktail table before her.

"It's not your decision, Harry," Hermione said quietly. "I would love nothing more than to tell you to keep the kid, but that just doesn't make sense."

"It's Sirius' son, Hermione, not just some kid. It's my fault Sirius died, and if this is the only thing I can ever do for him again, then so be it," Harry said defiantly. He crossed his arms rather childishly and glared at her for a moment.

"Harry, think about it. Do you really want to be saddle with a kid for the next twelve years?" Hermione said gently. "A child changes lives like no other action."

"'Cept for death, of course," Ron blurted out. Hermione glared at Ron. He blushed and shrugged. "Well, it does."

"What do you know about being a parent, Harry?" Hermione asked him, ignoring Ron.

"What does anyone ever know about being a parent? This is what Celeste wants, and this is what Sirius would have wanted. If it wasn't for me, he would be the one with a six year old kid upstairs," Harry said. Hermione went to open her mouth in protest but she was halted by Harry's hand. "No, Herms, I have made my choice. This is the only right thing to do."

"You can't be serious. You can't just agree to raise a kid because you feel guilty," Hermione said outraged. Harry frowned at her.

"I don't feel that guilty. I am doing out of a sense of responsibility to Sirius," Harry said. "I hate to do this, but if you don't like it, Hermione, then you need not stand by and watch me."

"Are you kicking me out?" Hermione asked. The color drained from her face.

"No," Harry said quickly. "I am just saying this is my decision and that is it."

"Please, Harry. Think about this," Hermione begged as she reached across and took his hand. "You will be giving up the remainder of your youth."

"I never had a youth. I was always destined to be the one who was wise beyond my years. I have to do this, Hermione. You wouldn't understand. You have always had loving parents. This boy is all alone, and at least I can try to give him what I never had," Harry said. Hermione clamped her mouth shut, knowing all to well that once Harry made up his mind there was not turning back. She sat back against the sofa.

"Herms look on the bright side," Ron said as he jabbed a finger at the dead house plant. "At least when a kid is hungry or thirsty, it lets you know. It just doesn't curl up in a corner and die."

"Let's hope not," Hermione said through pursed lips. She didn't approve but if this is what Harry wanted, then she had no other chance than to stand by his side and be supportive. Something told her that Harry was going to need all of the support he could get.

"Well, since I don't know when kids get up or anything, I better head off to bed," Harry said brightly as he pulled himself free of the chair. Hermione and Ron both nodded and Harry dipped down, planting a kiss on Hermione's cheek. "Hermione, really, it is going to be ok."

"I know," Hermione said as she pushed him along the way. Ron rolled his eyes and headed to bed, following Harry. He kept telling himself that it was fine that Hermione liked Harry that way, and he imagined how Remus and Sirius felt when Lily chose James after all.

Hermione sat alone in the parlor, thinking about what it meant for Harry to have a child now to care for. She hated to admit it, but she was feeling pushed aside. Harry was fooling himself if he thought that he would have time for her anymore. Hermione sighed and headed off to bed. She knew that tomorrow was going to be a long day. She could already feel it in her body. Things like this made her feel like she was far older than twenty-two and that was disappointing.

A/N: So that is where Chapter Three leaves us. We know a little more of the household dynamics. Yup. That is pretty much it. Let me know what you think.

-->