Unofficial Portkey Archive

Tell Me On A Sunday by Br0ken.Dolly.x
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Tell Me On A Sunday

Br0ken.Dolly.x

Tell Me On A Sunday

Chapter Two - Let Me Finish #1

Ginny sighed and stubbed out the dying butt of her cigarette; a habit she'd acquired to taking to when stressed or nervous or, like now, both. Ron had left about five hours ago and she still sat in Draco's chair, the only light now erupting from the dying fire; the tea service was as it had been when Ron had left the Manor, the slices of pie untouched. Draco should have returned two and half hours ago but she was still alone. Her appearance was now totally dishevelled, her hair in disarray from running her fingers through it too many times, her make-up long since cried away. She'd been so content to let Draco have his cake and eat it; she didn't care he was having an affair, she could pretend he wasn't and continue living happily with him. Though, really, they didn't live together happily. Not anymore. He drank all night. Slept a good part of the day. Did a little business work, meeting clients and the like. Then, he'd begin drinking again.

Sometimes though, he didn't drink. Sometimes he'd look at her with clear, un-inebriated eyes and she'd see love shining back at her. Ginny lived for those days. The problem tonight was, that although Draco was not very good at hiding his indiscretions away from their relationship, he never really gave reason to suspect foul play either. He'd always be back to her at the time he gave her. Never late. Never spotted by anyone they knew, let alone her own friends. Either he was being a sadistic bastard nowadays, or as Ron had said he just didn't care any longer. Regardless of the reason, he was becoming less and less the man she fell in love with fourteen months ago and it was time, the twenty-seven-year-old decided, to move on. She loved him more than anything in the world, but he was hurting her. And she wasn't a fool who'd continue to stick her hands in the flames just to feel a burn.

As the clock chimed eleven, Draco stumbled through the parlour door. His hair was mussed, his clothes leaving much to be desired and he stunk of cheap, generic perfume. She could have cried; did the man who held her heart want to cause her anymore anguish? Within his right hand he carried a bottle half full of Ogden's. The picture of a man fallen from his self-inflicted pedestal.

"Ginny, love!" He slurred his words as he made his way heavily across the room; stumbling and leaning against furniture for assistance.

She took in a clam steadying breath and looked up at him from beneath her red tresses, "you're late, Draco."

"Had a -- er, celebratory drink, didn't I?"

"You sealed the French contract then?"

"What? France…oh, yeah, yeah. Sealed that deal good." He wriggled his eyebrows at her.

A solitary tear fell; must he continue to insult her intelligence further? "You said you'd be here at eight. What time of night do you call this?"

He noticed her ire, "are you alright, Gin?"

"No, Draco, I am not alright. I'm sick to death of your wasted life!" She found herself yelling, suddenly standing at her full impressive height of five foot nine inches.

"Wha? Ginny look --"

"Let me finish," but at her words he opened his mouth to contradict her once more. "I said let me finish!"

She sighed and began to pace as he sunk into a half drunken stupor in her chair, his eyes staring up widely at his suddenly incredibly bossy and domineering girlfriend. "I wish you'd stop saying you don't have a problem! Especially because if you don't, I do!"

"Ginny I sa--"

"Let me finish! You drink all night, you sleep all day and the most enthusiasm you show anything that isn't Fire Whiskey or Daphne Greengrass is Quidditch on the bloody wireless!"

"Daph--"

"Look, shut up, Draco; let me finish. It's not often I get a chance to talk like this and you actually listen, or are at least sober enough to stay conscious! I've had it up to here," she gestured to way above her own head, "of your mood swings and not knowing what state you're gonna be in. Sick of walking on eggshells around you! Your circle of friend don't help matters either, all of them are just as bad; fucking other women, gambling and on a constant supply of alcohol." It was true. Blaise Zabini, Greg Goyle, Vincent Crab, Marcus Flint; all of them drunk like fish and not a one remained faithful to their respective partners.

"Gin, you mean so much --"

"No! When I'm here I'm in the way and when I'm not I'm neglecting you!" Her anger subsided slightly, bitter disappointment lacing her ground out words, "you're a different man when you stop drinking." Eyeing the amber liquid in the bottle he held, she felt the urge to murder the son-of-a-witch who'd invented it. "You can afford rehab, The Priory, damn it - why won't you go?"

She was shaking as she seated herself opposite him, in the chair she'd faced Ron in earlier. "Ginny, your cold and upset and not making sense, here have a drink."

She nearly launched the bottle into the fading fire. "I. Don't. Want. A. Drink." She sighed, "now, listen, I've practised these words for hours." She was cold with nerves and dread. Was she really about to do this? She remember a time when they were so very in love and so full of hope. They'd fought so much to get where they were. Had overcome family prejudices, she'd lost friends. The relationship between her and Ron and Harry was now tenuous at best. At family parties she'd generally have to go alone to be accepted or risk the treatment one wouldn't award to e a leper. But she hadn't cared, because Draco loved her and she loved him.

"I'm sad Draco. I lost people in the War, I have people that hate me for loving you; I don't drink to block it all out…I know about the affair you've been having; you're not even good at playing around."

He took in his own appearance and tears looked as though they were forming in his eyes. She noticed his sudden downward spiral in demeanour. "Jeez, you're too drunk to even get into this." Secretly thinking it was probably a good job Draco had come home drunk or she'd never have had the anger to fuel her courage, something she greatly needed if she were to leave him. Though, if he had not returned intoxicated and late and smelling of his tart, she'd be snuggling him in bed right now. Not caring he'd not long ago been in the embrace of another woman.

"Merlin, this isn't how I imagined we'd say goodbye." Her voice was sad and in pain, "You have this beautiful, big house and you live in your study - just the one room - it's sad. I'm going…while I'm still a person."

"Ginny, I swear, " he crumpled to the floor, on his knees before her. "It isn't you…it really isn't you. I love you, I -I swear it to you --"

She cut off his words. "Please don't. I must not be talked into staying. It's all lies. Goodbye, Draco." She bent and kissed him one last time, wanting to cry as the last time her lips touched his they were infected with stale Fire Whiskey and tainted with the lipstick from another woman's kiss. Her last memory of him, was of him at his worst.

Just what time of night do you call this?

No, I'm not alright; I am sick to death of your wasted life.

Let me finish, I said let me finish!

I wish you'd stop saying you don't have a problem - I have!

I can't put up with all your mood swings.

You're asleep all day and awake all night watching gangster films.

Let me finish, this time let me finish!

Wait a minute, you'll get your turn.

It's not often I get the chance to talk.

I'm sick of not knowing what state you'll be in.

And your circle of friends aren't the ones I'd choose.

When I'm here I am in the way!

When I'm not you say I'm neglecting you.

You're a different man when you stop drinking.

You can afford the Priory - why won't you go?

No, I don't want a drink, not yet.

I've rehearsed these lines for ages.

Why do I feel cold? I suppose it's nerves.

I don't need a drink!

I know about the affair you've been having.

You're not even good at playing around.

You're too drunk to get into this!

This isn't how I thought we'd say goodbye/

You have this great big house and yet you only live in one room.

It's sad! It's time I was going.

I'm going while I'm still a person.

Please don't! I must not be talked into staying.

Author's Note: Second chapter already! Shocking, I know. Hah. Clearly procrastinating way too much.

I'd like some feedback please. It'd be niiice to know what you think.

Tash.