Unofficial Portkey Archive

My Heart Will Go On by gti88
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

My Heart Will Go On

gti88

Disclaimer: I lay claim to nothing…JK's characters, and James Cameron's film and plot are not of my design…

A/N: Ninety-six years ago today, the Titanic sank, taking 1500 souls with her…I will take you on that journey, and make you live and breathe the legend, that is the RMS Titanic

Prologue

I was young then, only seventeen. Excitement coursed through my veins, as my mother and I disembarked on the docks, closely followed by my fiancé, and his parents. It was a beautiful day, warm and breezy, with the smell of salt permeating the air. My dress flapped in the wind, and I had to take off my hat, to prevent it from blowing away. My mother, pretentious as always, complained for the wind, and hugged herself tighter against it, but I paid her no attention.

Instead, I looked up, and let my eyes take her in. Beautiful, majestic and mesmerizing…I was going to be first class, aboard the White Star's premier steamer, the R.M.S. Titanic. Her hull was as black as night, dark, imposing and commanding. I caught sight of the red columns high above me, seeing the smoke issue from them, mingled with the water vapor that came from a pipe next to each column. Even today, I recall it as clearly as if I saw it yesterday; to give you an impression, it seemed the Titanic was breathing, anticipating something…as if it was alive.

And it was. The chatter around me was deafening, as people parted with loved ones, and watched them climb aboard. Her maiden voyage, to America, I, myself, could not wait to undertake.

"Come on," I heard my mother say clearly. "Hurry now, child. The Weasleys will be right along behind us."

I did not wait for a second invitation. Preceding my mother up the walk, my heart beat as I walked closer and closer to the entrance, where two gentlemen were standing, smiling, dressed in white uniforms.

"Welcome aboard the Titanic, Miss," one greeted me, extending his hand to help me into the ship.

"Thank you," I said easily, and stepped through.

I still remember the brilliance and beauty of the interior of the Titanic. Breathtaking and beautiful it was - wood ornaments, wallpaper, and furniture - everything elegantly carved and arranged to perfection. Yet, I had no inkling that I would be sitting here today, telling you of everything, as it happened. Time has claimed much of the Titanic, but it has not managed to diminish its splendor, nor its legend…

**

My grandchildren thirstily absorbed every word that escaped my lips. Despite my advanced age, this was the first time in my life I was about to speak of the story of Harry and I, of a few days of my life, in which I discovered real love, what it meant, and in the end, had taken away from me in the most unfair of ways…this, my dearest, is the hidden story of the Titanic…

-->