Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Vigilante by Harry85
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Vigilante

Harry85

Disclaimer: Not mine, otherwise Harmony would have sailed.

A/N: My reply to the "Vigilante" challenge by Leochick, you can find it here: http://talk.portkey.org/index.php?showtopic=26730 . Hope you will enjoy the story, and please if you read review and let me know what you think of it, ok?

Thanks to my beta Gingercat!

The Vigilante

Chapter Seven: Surprise

When he had completely removed it, he gasped, not believing his eyes.

"Hermione" he whispered, awe permeating his voice.

"Hi Harry" she meekly muttered, wincing as that mere gesture brought her lots of pain from her broken ribs.

Realizing her condition, Harry snapped out of his stupor, and with a few well placed healing spells, he made her bones snap back in place. Hermione hissed at the sudden pain, but then she realized she was healed, her bones whole again, just a lingering soreness pervading her right side.

"I thought you needed Skele-Gro to mend bones" she said, looking at him questioningly. He grinned.

"That's what Poppy makes the students believe, to discourage them from being reckless and breaking their bones" he explained. "But there are healing spells to avoid drinking that awful stuff" he added then, crinkling his nose at the memory of having to swallow the potion.

She smiled softly at him, then sighed.

"I guess you will have to bring me in now. The minister will be happy to resume his corrupted ways, and I will lose my job. But it's been worth it, while it lasted" she wistfully said.

Harry smiled at her. "I'm really proud that you did this, Hermione. Our world truly needed a vigilante since the Ministry is so corrupted. I admired whoever was doing the job, and maybe given the training you went through I should have guessed it was you" he joked, and she blushed, making her look even more adorable. The tight fitting suit that exalted her body did nothing to make her less attractive, and giving Harry's new feelings for her, he was finding it hard not to stare.

"Harry" she said, sensing his reluctance. "Just do what you have to do" she said, placing a hand on his arm. "I'll be ok"

Harry's eyes focused on her own, green meeting brown, and he made a decision. To Hell with the Minister, he wouldn't turn his best friend and the woman he was in love with in.

Leaning down, he swiftly captured her lips with his own, and gave her the time to back out of the kiss. She didn't, instead she kissed him back, after a moment of shock, and asked entrance with her tongue, meeting his own.

For minutes they remained there, on the ground, snogging each other senseless, tongues fighting, clashing, hands roaming as they caressed the other's body.

When they finally had to part, Harry pulled her close.

"I won't turn you in, Hermione. You had the guts to do what I should have done long ago" he said, his eyes alight with new determination. "No, I won't give Vunrabels the satisfaction of keeping his post and continue corrupting the ministry. We didn't lose so much in the second war to let things go on like they did when Fudge was Minister. Bribes won't allow criminals to remain out of prison anymore" he said.

Hermione wondered what he meant to do.

"Harry, you've been given the assignment to capture the vigilante. You can't stall forever, or you will risk losing the chance to become Head of the Department. Really, I'll be ok" she said, trying to sound reassuring, but he wouldn't have it.

"I don't care, Hermione. Heck, I don't care if I lose my job. I'm rich enough to not have to work and still be able to spoil my family, when I finally have one. So that is not a problem. Doing what is right instead of what is easy, this is what I will do. Dumbledore always believed that it's our choices that make us who we are, after all" he said, with a sad smile, as he thought back to his deceased mentor.

Hermione knew she wouldn't be able to sway him from his decision, so she simply snuggled close to him, enjoying the warmth, as they lay under the stars, gazing at the serene sky.

"What are you going to do, then?" she asked, after some minutes of complete silence.

"I will let you continue your job. And, I plan to join you in your rounds, if you will allow me. At least, the papers will be partially right when they say the vigilante is a man" he added with a smirk, and she rolled her eyes at him.

"Prat"

"But you love me for it" he smirked, kissing her on the top of her head.

"That I do" she admitted. "I have for a long time now. I was just too scared to tell you"

He nodded, understanding. He had been afraid too, once he realized his true feelings for her.

Finally, he stood up, pulling her up with him.

"Let's go home" he huskily whispered in her ear, making her shiver.

"Ok" she agreed, picking up her broom, shrinking it, and then mounting on Harry's Firebolt, his firm grip keeping her from falling, and Hermione completely enjoyed the trip back home, leaning on his chest, feeling secure in the embrace of the man she loved.

--

In the following months, Harry kept his promise and joined Hermione in her rounds. She prepared a second suit and mask for him, and she had to admit he really looked good in it, his grown muscles flexing under the silky material making her feel hot through their "missions".

It had become an habit for them to celebrate after a successful round with a heated shag in Harry's flat, where she had moved a couple weeks ago.

Tonight was no exception, and both loved to joke on the Prophet's title the following morning. Soon, the pressure on the Minister became too much, and Darius Vunrabels was forced to step down.

New elections took place, and this time Kingsley Shacklebolt was elected for real, providing no need for the two vigilantes to continue their job. However, their suits were neatly folded in their closets, ready to be used shall a new need arise.

-->