Unofficial Portkey Archive

Through Teddy's Eyes by Harry85
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Through Teddy's Eyes

Harry85

Disclaimer: Nope, not mine. Do I seem a H/G RHr shipper to you?

A/N: My response to the "Through Teddy's Eyes" Challenge by moonies rule. You can find it here: http://talk.portkey.org/index.php?showtopic=26785&st=0 Hope you will enjoy the story, this won't be very long, just four/five chaps at max, but I hope you'll like it all the same, lol.

Thanks to my beta Gingercat!

Through Teddy's Eyes

Chapter Three: Getting Closer

A couple of weeks had gone by since Harry's break-up with Ginny, and Hermione wondered why he didn't seem affected by it. Ok, the break-up had been mutual, but still, one should feel at least a tiny bit of sadness over it, right?

So, her curiosity getting almost incontrollable, that night while they were feeding Teddy, who was making all kind of happy sounds and gurgling, enjoying the attention and especially Hermione's company, she decided to ask him.

"Harry, you don't seem bothered by the break-up…"

He nodded, picking up Teddy and tickling him, making him giggle.

"It's all thanks to this little rascal here" he said, making a goofy face at the baby, who was quickly growing and would soon prove to be hard to lift like that.

"He's given me an aim in my life, something I missed since Voldemort was killed. Now I know what I want to do, and I know this is the right choice" he explained. As Harry gently patted him on his back, Teddy burped softly, and Harry locked eyes with Hermione before both shared a smile over it. Bringing the little guy in the living room as he could play a little bit before they put him to bed, Harry asked Hermione how things were going for her at the university.

"I mean, if you ever feel that coming here to help me with Teddy becomes a burden, feel free to cut back coming around, ok? Your studies are very important to you, I know that and I wouldn't want you failing an exam because you were too wrapped up in how to rightfully change diapers or feed a baby to concentrate on the right answers" he joked and she shoved him lightly on the arm.

"Prat" she said, sticking her tongue at him, before both chuckled, making Teddy giggle too.

"No, seriously, Harry, I truly enjoy these evenings with Teddy and you.. They help me relax and I've learned you can't study 24 hours a day, so…" she said, but she didn't complete her sentence. The truth was, she had become used to those visits, and since it was a way to be with Harry, her best friend, she was more than happy to do that, even if maybe after along day of lessons a hot bath would have been nice. She missed being with Harry when at the university, so she wouldn't give up the nights with him for anything.

Harry was glad she didn't regret spending time with him and Teddy, because he felt he would miss her terribly if she stopped coming around at night.

They chatted a bit more, before it was time for Teddy to go to sleep. Hermione picked him up from the floor, and the baby pouted, almost knowing what was coming, his hair turning a deep shade of blue, almost showing his discomfort at the idea of going to sleep. However, a tiny yawn betrayed the fact that he was, indeed, sleepy.

Hermione laughed softly at that, and Teddy looked at her almost sheepishly. "Come on, little man, time to go to sleep for you" the brunette declared, before walking out of the room and up the stairs to where Teddy's room was.

Harry remained there in the living room for a while, smiling fondly as he replayed the evening in his head, before finally moving to see how Hermione was doing. He arrived at the baby's room, and stopped in his tracks, leaning on the doorway, as he watched Hermione tell Teddy a story, to make him fall asleep. Her voice was soft, and even from there he could see that Teddy truly enjoyed hearing her.

When the little child was finally asleep, Hermione turned and was surprised to see Harry there, watching her with something undecipherable in his eyes.

"You're going to be a great mum" he finally said, and she felt her cheeks redden at the praise. Looking down as she tried to hide her blush, she whispered her thanks, before both of them walked back to the living room.

It was getting late, though, so after another bit of friendly conversation, Hermione finally stood up with a sigh, claiming she better go home to get some sleep.

"You know, the offer still stands" Harry said gently, and she nodded. "I know, Harry, and it's sweet of you" she said, before kissing him on the cheek before she finally Apparated home.

As she arrived there, she sighed loudly, before heading to the bathroom for a well deserved hot bath.

"One day, Harry, I might just take you up on your offer" she thought as she stripped, checking the water temperature before sinking in it, letting the soothing effect of the bath wash over her.

--

As the days passed, both started to crave the nights they would spend together, preparing dinner for themselves and Teddy, laughing as Hermione's attempt at lasagne got completely burned, or enjoying the quiet once Teddy was asleep. Anyone observing them from afar would surely notice what they still didn't see, that they were slowly but continuously falling in love with each other.

One night, as Hermione was cutting vegetables to put them in the stew, Harry stopped what he was doing, and observed her. He was startled when he found himself thinking that she was really beautiful, just as she tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

Sure, she might not be a top model, but this didn't mean she wasn't attractive in her own way. Feeling emboldened by the usual glass of wine they would sip while preparing dinner, he silently walked behind her, wrapping his arms around her waist.

Startled, Hermione almost cut herself, but when she half turned to glare at him for that, her eyes locked with his green ones, so close to her face. Her breath hitched in her throat, and she gulped.

"I just wanted to thank you once more for being on my side with this" he whispered, almost mesmerized by her lips, which looked so kissable right now.

"You're welcome" she stammered, before a crash in the living room interrupted the moment, and Harry released her to go check on his godson, leaving Hermione to wonder what had just happened.

--

That night, Harry lay in his bed, awake, reliving the events of the evening in his head. He was still a bit surprised at the realization that he thought Hermione to be beautiful, or better, he was surprised he hadn't noticed sooner, but he knew he didn't regret hugging her like he had done. He was feeling more and more drawn to her lately, and he wondered if maybe he wasn't falling for his best friend. He hoped not, because that would complicate things a lot between them, but at the same time he hoped he was, because if she felt the same, well, he couldn't think of anyone better to share the rest of his life with, loving her and making her happy.

-->