Unofficial Portkey Archive

Come Undone by gryffindor-girl
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Come Undone

gryffindor-girl

Come Undone

Chapter 10

Whoa bit late, sorry. RL issues. Penultimate chapter...da dum. Thanks for sticking with me; I hope you stay for this and one more. Final chapter posted later today.

[edit] ok so I don't think these scenes are my forte *grins*. Amended a little to make it clearer but apologies in advance. Concrit appreciated x

Warnings: Bit of violence.

*

I stare at my cell phone, just managing yet again to stop myself from ringing or texting.

He said not to use the cell phones for a reason. It's not as if he uses it a lot anyway, only a few times a week to tell me when he's coming, and he always keeps the messages short, like someone might be checking them.

But there is something strange about this. I look up at the imposing church, and then around at the empty streets. Weirder still, he hasn't answered my responding letter yet.

Things are busy for him at the moment, I know. Maybe he really is in trouble.

The thought makes me run up the concrete steps and through the wooden doors.

The church is quiet and dark, aside from a few candles burning at the altar. My footsteps echo eerily in the cavernous ceiling as I walk slowly in and squint into the darkness. I decide to walk down the side aisle instead of the centre, keeping an eye on the shadowy corners.

Something about this church is giving me the creeps, and I suddenly wish I'd brought my wand. I'd decided it was too risky to, this close to The Palace.

I wait, looking for any other movement besides the flickering flames of the candles. My anxiety makes me decide to whisper into the shadows.

"Harry?"

"Who's Harry?"

The voice makes my heart skip a quick beat; I whirl around to see a dark shape by one of the stone columns.

The speaker steps forward into the light and my blood freezes in my veins. His blue eyes penetrate mine, even in the gloom and I nearly stagger from the force of his stare.

"Warren?"

"Who's Harry?" His voice has a light conversational feel to it but I'm not buying it. His gaze is as cold as ever as he continues slowly forward.

I decide to play it as close to the truth as possible. "It's a nickname. For Jamie." My attempted smile feels distinctly artificial. "Is he here?"

He smiles back, though it comes out as more of a sneer. He shakes his head in answer. I fight desperately to compose myself as he gets closer.

I keep talking. "What are you doing here?"

He grasps my upper arm, almost painfully. "Praying." I don't miss the definite note of sarcasm in his voice.

He leads me, half dragging me to keep up as we head to the back of the church. I feel some kind of barely checked fury emanating from him and work on my mind blocks, repeating the exercises over in my head as we walk.

He pushes me through into an antechamber off the side; a long cold room lit by a table lamp only, the only furnishings a desk and a huge Persian rug on the flagstone floor. Fletch looks up from his seat against the far wall, frowning at me in confusion as he stands.

"Look who dropped in." Warren bites out the words and in the same tone of sarcasm as before. He drops my arm abruptly and grabs a chair with one hand, spinning it around with a twist of his wrist to rest in front of him. The slam of the chair legs on the stone is loud, and makes me jump. "Sit."

Every part of me wants to object, but a glance at Fletch confirms I shouldn't. He looks fearful, even staring at the ground as he is.

I watch while Warren lights a cigarette.

"So I was just wondering if you had any idea" - he crouches in front of me, his eyes locking with mine - "how the hell someone trains a fucking owl to deliver letters?"

My mind whirls as I sort through my options. His eyes are that unnerving blue, but he's not trying to invade my mind yet. I suspect he's waiting to see if I'll tell the truth. I decide on the same tactic as before; almost- honesty is the best policy.

"I know - it's amazing isn't it! I think it's something he's been working on for ages, it's really impressive."

He tilts his head to the side and smiles mockingly, pretending to be amused. "Very. Especially when he just leaves the letter on this" -he points to a stone window sill- "and the bird comes and picks it up hours later. How do you suppose he does that, do you think?"

I try and keep my eyes steady on his face. "I have no idea."

Then I feel it, a potent wave of energy invading my thoughts. I clench my teeth against it, concentrating on my mind blocks but it's too strong, and a random thought escapes out of me, like a leak in a dam.

It's of my Patronus - a single image of the silvery otter snaking out of the end of my wand. I think the thought comes to mind because it's a defensive spell, and I'm most certainly under attack.

He pulls back immediately; his eyes wide open and his thick eyebrows raised in shock. I watch him fearfully as the shock turns to glee and then a twisted expression taints his face - something akin to vicious desire.

Then there's a noise, a door banging, and Warren glances over my shoulder, his face perversely amused.

I spin my head around to see Harry, fists clenched and body rigid as he glowers past me to Warren. A hand closes roughly around my upper arm, dragging me up and backwards to stand.

Fletch picks up on the tension straight away and flies directly for Harry, lunging at his throat.

Harry gives him the barest of glances and holds up his hand. "Don't."

Fletch freezes in mid air, his eyes bugging as his breath seems to choke in his throat. Then he flies backwards, high in the air to crash heavily into the solid stone wall, finishing crumpled on the ground.

I'm so busy watching the astonishing display of wandless magic that I'm completely unprepared for Warren's arm when it locks painfully around my neck, pulling me hard up against him.

Harry has raised his hand to Warren but stops his progress towards us at the exact same time that I feel a cool hard object pressing into my temple.

"Impressive. I knew there was something special about you."

Harry's glare is so intense, his eyes look black. He hasn't looked my way once.

"This is nothing to do with her."

Warren laughs, and pushes the cold steel painfully hard into my skull. I realise only then with a sickening certainty that I have a gun to my head.

"Oh, I think it's everything to do with her. And you're both gonna tell me everything that's going on here."

Harry appears calm, apart from a twitch I notice in his jaw.

"Whatever you want then. Let's sit down and talk, just us."

Warren laughs again, and this time it's maniacal, loud in my ear.

"Jamie lad. You know me! Have I ever seemed stupid to you?"

When Harry stays quiet, Warren yells, it makes me wince.

"I said do I look stupid to you??"

Finally Harry shakes his head, and glances at me. I send an apology with my eyes but he's already looking back up at Warren.

"I want to know everything. Every single fucking thing about what you can do, and how you do it. Or I will kill her. You know I will Jamie. If that's even your name."

Harry rubs his forehead - his scar, I realise. His face is composed but that action shows me just how distraught he really is. I know he needs me further away from Warren if either of us are going to have any chance of getting away but it seems that Warren realises this too - he grips me tighter. Then Harry lifts his chin slightly, decision made. "Alright then. Take it."

The awe in Warren's voice is hard to miss. "You know I can do that?"

Harry nods curtly. Warren breathes out in a whistle.

"Oh this is gonna be fun."

I realise then how bad this is and I struggle, desperate to get away. I can feel how badly Warren wants this knowledge, but I don't know yet how far he'd go to get it. I feel sick and responsible for falling for the fake letter and I shake my head as far as Warren's vice like grip will let me. I manage to speak.

"No, don't. Not for me."

"Shut up." Harry's response is cold and quick, but his glance at me is pleading, desperate. He moves slowly towards us until we're all in the centre of the room, only a few feet apart. Then he turns his palms out slowly and meets Warren's eyes, opening himself up for Warren to read his thoughts.

The air in the room changes and all I can see is Harry, and the pain etched on his face. I can almost feel the energy of Warren boring into his mind, extracting mental pictures. Harry bears up against it for a time and then he winces and sways, and a slow drip of blood trickles from his nostril as I watch. He falters, then he falls roughly to his knees and I cry out, the sound strangled by Warren's forearm crushing my wind pipe. Then the tension eases as his arm relaxes.

I twist to look up at him and his face is alight with awe.

"Holy shit. I don't believe this." He looks down and seems to remember me; his arm closing tight around my throat again.

"The 'smartest witch of her age' eh?" He glances at Harry who's crouching now, regaining his breath. "And a lot less trouble than you, by the looks of it."

He smiles grimly, only one corner of his mouth pulls up.

"Sorry bout this Jamie. Really, I am."

Faster than I give him credit for, he pulls the gun away from my temple and points it directly at Harry's.

I see in that split second that his resolve is unwavering. There's not a seconds hesitation in the steel blue eyes as his finger squeezes on the trigger. I lurch forward in his grip, my mind striving for a spell, a charm, anything - but it's too late.

"No!!!" The scream is torn from my throat and my eyes squeeze shut to the sharp crack of the gunshot, the sound so loud, my ears feel like they've been physically pierced, the pain shoots through my whole body.

My eyes refuse to open as my chest burns, the dread washing through me and I cling desperately to consciousness.

I don't realise my hands are over my face until I have to open my trembling fingers to see the room.

Warren's blue eyes are wide as he stares at me, but he's no longer next to me. He is now several feet across the room, his back against the wall. My eyes try and make sense of what I'm seeing, even as he slides slowly down, a dark smear staining the stone behind him as he does.

My ears are still ringing as I turn to Harry.

He has fallen back, braced on his hands, looking at Warren too. His eyes turn to me, as wide and uncomprehending as mine.

We both stare at each other for a second, then our heads turn in unison to the door.

Seth stands there, one foot forward in a sideways stance, his arms still straight out in front of him, his fingers gripped tightly in a firm hold around a large black gun.

He walks forward a little, keeping the gun and his eye still trained only on Warren. I glance back to the wall again to see Warren's eyes are still wide but lifeless now; his body slumped over to one side. I realise the dark smear behind him on the wall is glistening wet, a trail of blood so fresh that the tainted smell already reaches me.

"Seth..."

"Alright Jamie?" Seth still hasn't lowered his gun, but glances down at Harry now. "You hurt?"

Harry shakes his head, and Seth offers his arm, I watch them from my position on the floor as they wrap one arm around each other hard, Harry thumping him on the back.

"You didn't listen to me."

Seth pulls back and grins. "Nah. And aren't you a lucky bastard for that."

I see Harry smile and the relief makes me giddy. I feel the floor tip from underneath me and I fall sideways onto the ground.

"Hermione!"

I feel Harry kneeling next to me; I grab his arm to squeeze it, to tell him that I'm so happy he's okay. But I feel sleepy all of a sudden, tired beyond belief and I just want to rest...

He's gripping me, shaking me, his hands pressing into my sides. I hear him swear and I open my eyes just briefly; he's holding me securely around my shoulders, his face close. I feel warm, content, glad this is all over.

"Hold on baby." There's a note of desperation in his voice that makes me open my eyes properly this time. His features are contorted in pain, his eyes filled with water. I find it strange, stranger still when he brings his hand to my face, and his fingers are covered in blood.

"Jamie... shit - you need to get her an ambulance."

Seth's voice is distant as is Harry's reply.

"I know...Fuck...I know..."

The room sways again and I realise he's lifting me up.

"Hey man, I don't think you should move her..."

"Shut up and listen. Give me that gun." I feel him adjust his hold on me momentarily. "Go, get out of here. Take money, my car - get out of town as far as you can. Lay low for a week and then call me."

"But..."

"They're coming for him tomorrow, the cops I told you about - for all of us if we're there. So you better be gone."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, now go Seth, please. Get far away."

"This is... Jamie, this has been some weird shit tonight. Will you be alright?..."

"We'll be fine, don't worry. I'll explain everything later. And Seth. Thank you."

It's the last thing I hear before I slip into a spinning darkness.

*

The smell that fills my nostrils is familiar, a clean, sharp odour.

I feel a pressure in my right side, like a weight pinning me down, before I open my eyes.

I'm in a bed, a hospital bed. The ornate decoration around the top of the ceiling is familiar - St Mungos I realise with a jolt.

Harry. My thoughts race to him and I move to sit up, causing a sharp burst of pain in my side.

"Lay still."

A hand presses on my shoulder and I look up to see it's his; he's sitting at my bedside, his eyes tired and troubled. There's a smear of blood on his cheek and the hand that grips mine and brings it to his lips is heavily bandaged.

"What...are you okay?" My croaky voice doesn't sound like my own.

He nods, smiling slightly, though his eyes are watery.

"Splinched myself." He holds up his hand. "Bit out of practice I guess."

I try and squeeze his hand but I feel incredibly weak.

"Just rest 'Mione. You're lucky to be alive."

My eyes widen at that. "I am?"

He nods and I can tell he's barely keeping his emotions in check.

"Seth got there just in time. He told me Fletch said he was going with Gripper to the church and I told him to stay put but luckily for both of us he didn't."

"So he..."

"He shot Gripper. Once he saw he was going to kill me." I flinch at that. He continues. "Either you or I threw him across the room; I don't know who." He bows his head over my hand that he's still holding between his two.

"But Gripper's shot still fired and when he was thrown, his gun pointed at you. I hadn't recovered enough to protect you."

I gently touch the dressing on my side and stare at him for a moment, but he doesn't look up.

"No Harry, don't you dare."

He shakes his head, still keeping his eyes down.

"I'm so sorry Hermione."

"Don't you dare. It wasn't your fault. It was mine, Harry; I should have known that note wasn't from you."

He looks up at me then, pain in his eyes. "How? You couldn't have known. I should've realised he'd been following me to the church -watching me getting mail and sending it. He'd been reading it for a while."

I nod, the pieces of the ambush coming together now.

"I'm fine; I'm going to be fine." My blood feels cold though as I think of the moment where I truly thought he'd been shot. "It was you I was worried about."

He leans forward then and gently holds my face, kissing my forehead, then my lips.

"You should rest now."

I shake my head, and though it makes me feel woozy, I grit my teeth against the nausea, determined.

"I don't want to rest. I want to know everything. I need to hear everything."

He stares at me, and then tips back in his chair, placing his hands behind his head. He looks exhausted, and I notice the early morning light coming through the window, he must have been there for so long. But I can't wait any longer. I need to know everything, now.

"Well, I brought you here, we apparated." He waves his bandaged hand. "A bit rusty, but we made it. And they looked after you." His voice cracks and I think about what he's done to get me here.

"But, have they recognised -

He nods as soon as I start talking, and interrupts.

"Yes they recognised me. Called the Weasley's nearly straight away - there's quite the gathering in the ward by now I expect. Luckily the head Healer on this ward knows you and is keeping us in this private room."

I close my eyes. "Sorry."

He laughs softly. "Don't be. It's probably about time."

I just nod at that. Then I remember.

"And Gripper - and the others? What happens with your job?"

He sighs and rubs his face. "It's over. It was over tonight anyway. The muggle cops were all over this shipment, even without my help. They were moving in the morning - though that plan's spoilt now." I glance at him apprehensive. "He's dead. I'm sure of it."

I blow out a long breath. "Seth?"

"Far away by now I hope. He's not a bad guy, just caught up in the wrong scene. I don't think they've got him on their list; I'll have to find out. I'm going to try and help him move on - he's been wanting to." His smile is grim. "And now it's the least I can do I guess."

"What about Fletch?"

"He was the one they traced first so they'll catch him. He's got no brains without Gripper anyway."

I press my head back into the pillow, letting all the information wash over me. Then I open my eyes again.

"And you? What about the Unit?"

He sighs and folds his arms. "Well they've been here already, and I'll go for a full debrief as soon as I can. Then after that, I get a rest for a bit."

"And then?"

He shrugs, and leans forward, smoothing his thumb across my forehead. "And then we'll see."

I touch his face, happy with that answer for now. My eyelids feel suddenly heavy.

"Sleep now. I'll stay here."

I open my eyes again. "No you - you sleep too. You're exhausted."

"I'm okay."

"No really Harry, go and have a shower and a lie down, I'll just be sleeping."

His fingers are stroking my hair. "Shh, I'm fine."

"Will you bugger off! I don't want you watching me." I try and keep my eyes open but they drift shut. I hear the last thing he says though.

"It'll take more than a 'bugger off' to make me give up on you."

I remember, my own words from so long ago, and I smile.

*

I wake, slowly, to warmth and quiet.

Too much quiet.

I snap my eyes open, looking for him again.

He's not in the chair; I don't see his stuff anywhere. I push up with the arm on my good side, frowning through the dizziness.

"Harry..."

A door opens and he enters; a towel around his neck and half over his head, though he has his jeans and a fresh t shirt on. He glances at me in surprise.

"You're awake."

I fall back, more awkwardly than planned. He moves to my side, throwing off the towel. I try and ignore the pain in my head.

"You weren't here." I mumble the words, trying and failing not to sound pissed off.

He smiles gently and leans in to stroke my hair. I close my eyes to the feeling.

"I had a shower. Kreacher brought my things."

I nod and try to smile, wondering why I'm feeling so anxious. I try and explain.

"I just ...I always think you'll leave." The words come out almost slurred. "Like the first time -you'll just...leave."

When I open my eyes he's frowning at me. "I won't. I won't do that again." He leans in close, still stroking my hair and kisses me, closing his eyes. He stops but stays close and holds my gaze.

"I tried that once. It didn't work. I won't be leaving you again."

Something about what he just said rings some alarm with me, like he just said something crucially important but the haze I'm in won't let me make sense of it yet. But he moves closer still, wraps his arms around me as much as he can leaning over the bed and brushes his nose against mine. I give up trying to work it out and move my hand to his back, stroking my fingers back and forth.

Then I feel him jump before he pulls abruptly away and I finally notice the sound of footsteps and voices.

"...can''t keep us out forever we need to..."

I turn my head to the door and see three tall redheads have just walked in, followed closely by a protesting junior Healer. They've stopped, staring at us from halfway across the room, and I wonder how long they've been there.

Arthur speaks first.

"Harry. You're here."

I don't glance at Harry yet, waiting first for Ron's reaction. Charlie is the other Weasley there but he looks less stunned than the other two, he starts walking again first.

"Harry." Charlie walks over and holds a hand out to Harry who takes it, and lets himself be pulled into a hard hug. Arthur follows suit, but Ron remains motionless on the other side of the bed.

Charlie leans into me, kissing my check. "You alright Hermione?"

I nod at him and try to smile. "I'm fine, really." My head throbs particularly painfully as if to prove me a liar but I manage not to let it show on my face.

Harry and Ron are still staring at each other across my bed, their expressions unreadable. Arthur looks on nervously, but Charlie appears either blissfully or shrewdly unaware of the tension.

"Wow, Harry that's some ink."

Harry glances down distracted. "Oh, yeah...uh..."

Charlie studies it and gives a low whistle. "A lot of hours in that."

Harry nods, looking back at Ron. I hold a hand out towards Ron, trying to break the atmosphere in the room. It works in a way; both of them look at me.

"Hermione." Ron seems to remember I'm there. He leans in and kisses me on the forehead then looks worriedly into my eyes.

"Are you okay?"

I nod and find his hand with mine, squeezing. "I'm fine Ron."

He nods and pulls a chair closer, sitting next to me. I notice Harry sits slowly back down on his chair directly opposite Ron while Charlie and Arthur stand discreetly at the end of the bed.

No one speaks for a moment and I frown, trying to think of the best approach. Then Ron speaks up.

"Alright Harry?"

Harry's mouth twitches into not quite a smile. "I'm good Ron. What about you?"

Ron's grin is less restrained. "Good. It's good to see you. Even though the circumstances..." He gestures at me. I feel a wave of affection for him.

Harry smiles too. "You too. It's really good to see you."

They grin at each other and I feel faint with relief. Either that, or just faint.

"I got your letter. Thanks." Harry casually grabs my other hand while he speaks. Ron nods.

"Good. You should've come back sooner."

Harry smiles and nods, squeezing my hand. Ron looks at me smiling slightly and says one more thing.

"Daft prick."

Harry grins then and I laugh, though the sound comes out weaker than I thought. Ron turns back to me.

"And you. Luna told us you've been keeping it a secret that you knew where he was. You could've told me." He's scowling and I think it's just like him to be mad at me more than Harry. I roll my eyes, which is a terrible idea for my headache.

"So I wanna know everything."

My head throbs and thankfully Arthur speaks up. "Maybe not now Ron. Give Hermione some time, she still looks very pale."

Harry nods. "I'll fill you in." He stands up and Ron does too, I notice him staring openly at Harry's tattoos now, his mouth slightly open. Harry bends to me and kisses my forehead but his hand lingers on my face slightly; I see Ron watching us carefully and I realise he doesn't miss that. His expression when I look at him is thoughtful, but calm.

"You rest, we'll all still be here - outside."

I nod, relived I didn't have to do much talking then, I was sure I wasn't up to it. The junior comes forward to administer my draught and I'm grateful, feeling quite poorly now. The Weasley men move to leave the room and Harry taps my toes as he passes.

"You'll be alright?"

I nod quietly and manage to speak. "Will you?"

He smiles. "Yeah. I'll be back, I won't leave alright? I promise."

I close my eyes and nod. I believe him.

*

I was standing, you were there

Two worlds collided

And they could never tear us apart.

*

When I wake next, the ward is dark and his body is warm, curved around mine.

"Harry?"

I feel him laugh slightly, the sound low and warm.

"Yeah - who else were you expecting? One of your billionaire boyfriends?"

I smile and burrow into his chest. Taking stock of my body, I realise I feel much better, the pain in my side just a dull ache now. I remember suddenly the last time I was awake.

"How did everything go?"

He squeezes me. "Good. I don't deserve him either."

I frown and push back to look at him. "I wish you'd stop saying that."

He smiles and kisses the top of my head, pulling me into him again. "I don't. I was a real asshole, the way I left him. It doesn't make it okay, but I did have my reasons."

I try and pull back again, but find I don't have as much strength as I thought. I sigh and shuffle closer still, breathing in the scent of his skin at his neck.

"What were your reasons?"

"Mmm."

I squeeze him. "Harry?"

"You should sleep 'Mione. You've got lots of healing to do."

I shake my head against him. "No. Tell me."

I feel his chest expand as he takes a deep breath and I wait.

"Do I have to say? Really?"

I frown in to the darkness. "What do you mean?"

He breathes out audibly.

I wait, but feel myself drifting back to sleep again. I try and shake it off but I'm too drowsy. I make one last effort and mumble 'Harry?'

He strokes my hair, and makes a shushing noise. I try and resist, knowing there's something I want to know, things I need to know, but his arms are firm around me and his fingers stroking my hair are lulling me back into sleep. I feel him bend to kiss my cheek as I slip unwillingly back into black.

*

The next morning I feel great.

And frustrated.

I want to get out of here, but everyone is fussing - the Healers, Harry, Ron. Luna is the only one on my side who agrees that if I think I'm alright then I'm fine. I truly love her.

Her reunion with Harry was lovely. She came by this morning and saw me, greeting Harry with just a warm hug and a smile, as if she'd just seen him the day before. I can tell he was really happy to see her, and grateful she needed no explanations.

And Ron has been incredible. I thought he would be hurt, or angry. But whatever they said to each other last night seems to be all they needed; there's no tension between them that I can notice, in fact they seem to be doing well in teaming up against me.

"I've told you I'm fine. I just want to be in my own bed."

Ron tries again. "But there's no harm in you staying one more night, just in case." He tries to push me gently back down as I stand up from the bed.

I glare up at him, and I can see Harry suppressing a smile beside him.

"I'm going. You guys can do what you like."

Arthur comes in then, and becomes an unexpected ally.

"Look if she wants to go, I think she should be able to make that decision, she's a big girl now, and a competent healer, she wouldn't..."

Ron interrupts. "Give over Dad - we know you just want to ride in Harry's car with her."

Arthur looks sheepish as he picks up my bag, but his excitement is easy to spot as he glances at Harry. "Well I'm sure Harry wouldn't mind the company. Just in case she has a relapse on the way home or something." He trails off, but starts jigging his leg excitedly.

Ron rolls his eyes. "Well you can have co pilot status then. I'll apparate over later to check on you 'Mione."

"Like I said it's not really necessary, I'm completely fine to apparate you know..."

Harry and Ron answer me together. "No you're not."

I make a face at them, but can't help smiling.

After steadfastly refusing a wheelchair, we make our way as a group out of the hospital. Harry stands close to me and I try not to lean too heavily on his arm as we walk.

Luna walks in front, levitating the flowers and cards I've been sent, which is why I don't see Ginny until she's right in front of us.

"Harry."

I feel his body freeze and tense next to mine, and my own heart drops to my feet.

He grips me tighter. I don't know if that's for his or my benefit really, but I'm glad he's holding me upright. He seems to recover first though.

"Hi Ginny."

Her face is torturous to look at, the gauntlet of emotions she's running through painfully clear on her pretty features. Finally she settles on a glare.

"Nice of you to grace us with your presence."

I can't see Harry's face, but he leans just slightly closer to me. He says nothing.

She turns hostile eyes on me.

"And so you lied to me. I asked you point blank - and you lied to me."

My mouth opens, even though I know I have no idea what to say to that. Ron rescues me.

"Ginny." His voice is low and threatening. "It's not the time or place. Come on." He steps forward and grabs her arm, but she snatches it angrily out of his grip. Her eyes have travelled back to Harry, burning into him. She glances down at his arm, the tattooed sleeve visible from the bicep down and her eyes widen slightly but her glare doesn't soften. Then she turns on her heel and stalks off.

Ron follows; turning and giving me an apologetic shrug before he trots off after her.

I feel terrible, and horribly cold all of a sudden. Harry squeezes my arm as we start walking again.

"Now don't worry too much about that." Arthur's voice is near my ear, I hadn't noticed him move next to me. "She's still young is our Ginerva. She doesn't think she is, but she'll see it one day."

I don't know exactly what he means, but I squeeze his arm, grateful for his reassurance. He starts asking Harry about the car, and his enthusiasm is so infectious, I start to feel calmer soon.

I listen to his babbling as we drive along - 'just marvellous, how they manage to get it moving with no magic, none!' - and stare out the window. Luna is humming an indistinct tune and I glance at Harry's eyes in the rear vision mirror. He seems at ease, patiently answering all of Arthurs questions, although his brow is slightly furrowed I see. He glances back at me so I swiftly look out the window.

I watch the houses rush by and I think back to Ginny's eyes, so full of emotion as she stared at Harry. I fight down a fresh wave of nausea that has nothing to do with my injuries.

*

Come to me now and lay your hands over me

Even if it's a lie, say it will be alright

And I shall believe.

*

"I told Ron I would. Are you sure you'll be alright?"

I paste on a smile. "Of course. Luna's popping back soon."

Harry nods but his eyes are still worried. I force my smile wider.

"Harry, I'll be fine. Molly will be dying to see you, it'll be great."

My voice sounds even and strong, I'm proud of my performance. He nods again, though his expression is still uncertain.

"I'm not so sure about that."

"She will be Harry. Everyone will."

He sits down on the edge of my bed and gently holds my face between his hands. "Okay. I won't be late." He stares at me for a moment, and then kisses me softly.

"Take your time. Stay, if you like." I don't know why I can't seem to stop talking.

He frowns. "You don't want me to come back?"

"No, yes of course, I mean..." I sigh. "I just mean - do what you want to do. I'm fine, really."

His eyes narrow slightly and then he leans in and kisses my forehead. "Then I'll come back."

"Sure." My voice is starting to fail and I wish he'd hurry up and leave.

He stands and walks to the door, turning to look at me once before he's gone, to The Burrow.

*

Lyrics credit: Never Tear Us Apart by Inxs, I Shall Believe by Sheryl Crow.