Unofficial Portkey Archive

Thoughts by Cassie Valentine
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Thoughts

Cassie Valentine

Thoughts

By Cassie Valentine

Spoilers: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Summary: Hermione does some thinking.

~*~*~*~*~*~

A little part of him died tonight.

I don't really know what happened. No one does. So of course, the rumors are running wild. Some whisper about Harry's role in Cedric's death, while others wish for the term to end quickly so they can go home and get away from all of this.

"Come on Hermione," Ron says as he grabs my arm and gives me a little pull. I was so lost in thought that I didn't even hear Madame Pomfrey telling us to leave him for the night. "He'll be fine," he assures me. "He's always fine."

We walk back to the common room in silence, a few students sending sympathetic glances our way, others look like they blame us just as much as Harry for Cedric's death. Ron ignores them and pushes forward, dragging me along.

"You all right?" he asks when we're safely in the common room. "Hermione?"

"Yes," I say quickly as I realize that he's talking to me. "I'm fine Ron. Just a little tired, I suppose." He looks at me for a moment in disbelief, but then nods his head slowly.

"Well, I'm gonna head to bed. I reckon there will be an owl or two," he trails off.

"Night Ron," I say as I look at him. He takes that as a good sign and heads up to the boys' dormitory with one last look toward me.

~*~*~*~*~

I sat for some time in the common room, expecting tears or something to come, but nothing did. I sigh as I watch the fire start to die and decide I should probably just go to bed. As I reach the top of the stairs, something makes me turn to the boys¹ door instead of my own.

I creep in quietly, as not to wake any one and find my way to Harry's bed. I sit quietly for a moment and give Hedwig a pet before letting her out into the night. I spy his invisibility cloak peaking out of his trunk before I leave and on a wild, reckless impulse, I grab it. I fly out of the dormitory and out of the common room, hastily throwing it over me as I let my feet carry me to my destination. I slow as I reach the medical ward and I creep in, settling myself quietly by his bed.

I knew he wouldn't wake up. I knew about the dreamless sleep potion, so I sat quietly for a while, absentmindedly brushing some hair off of his forehead. It occurs to me at that moment that he is nothing more than a boy. Not some big hero the wizarding world builds him up to be, just Harry Potter, the boy. I also realize that, just maybe, something inside was changing my opinions about him and how I feel about him. I still love him as a friend, but I don¹t love him as I love Ron. I concentrate on this for a while but give up as I feel sleep starting to pull me under its spell. I wonder once more. This time, why sleep comes so easily when he was near.

~*~*~*~*~*~