Unofficial Portkey Archive

Ruby Reds by SHOULDBEHHR
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Ruby Reds

SHOULDBEHHR

Authors note: My intention was to end this story with chapter 8. To that end I have written over 7000 words, but I am STILL not done. So….. I have decided to break what I have written so far into chapters and post them. Whenever there was a natural break in the action I made that a chapter. That means chapter 9 is done as well. With 9 I still have some editing to do while I continue writing what will be chapter 10. I want to send a special thank you to those of you who have encouraged me to finish this, and have also waited patiently for me to do so. And as always, thank you to my wife for basically being my beta. And to those who left me a review on the previous chapter. I received a lot of really great reviews for chapter seven and they were much appreciated. Well, that's about it, I hope you like this chapter and the next one will follow soon.

Chapter 8

Professor McGonagall, eyes straight ahead and jaw clenched, led her little band of miscreants back to her office.

"Not a Slytheryn in the bunch," she fumed internally, "Those were Gryffindor students behaving like wild animals!"

Harry and Hermione, along with Ron, Luna, Parvati, and the others all trudged off to what they expected would be, certain doom, at the hands of their pissed off headmistress.

Harry tightened his grip on Hermione's hand, attempting to reassure her. She gave him a slight smile, but it never reached her eyes.

The rest of the group walked like condemned zombies towards McGonagall's office, all except Ginny. She was staring daggers at Harry and Hermione's linked hands.

Harry, as if sensing her gaze, shifted his focus and made eye contact with the redhead. She met his stare for a moment, and then averted her eyes.

'Damn. He's still pissed? For Pete's sake it was just one tiny little hex. He blocked it anyway. You'd think he'd be over it by now for Merlin's sake!'

She peeked back at him, but Harry had turned his attention back to Hermione.

Ginny shook her head. "That's not right. He's supposed to end up with me, not her! Bushy hair know-it-all causes this whole freaking nightmare, and then she gets Harry anyway! No way, that's not happening. " Ginny groused.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

McGonagall reached her office, opened the door, and shook her head as the group filed in. Lavender, Parvati, Ron and Ginny all moved to the left, while Harry, Hermione, Neville and Luna all went right. Luna made sure she kept Harry and Hermione between herself and Neville. Once they were all in McGonagall slammed the door closed.

"In all my years here at Hogwarts, I have never witnessed such abhorrent behavior from a group of students, let alone students from my former house. You should all be ashamed of yourselves, and to that end I am taking one hundred points from Gryffindor."

There was considerable amount of feet shuffling and bowed heads from the group at this.

McGonagall continued, "I have no idea what mischief sparked such riotous behavior, but I can guarantee each and every one of you, that I will, most assuredly, get to the bottom of this!"

The Headmistress looked over the students before her. "Miss Lovegood, what is you issue in this ridiculousness?

Luna, who had just downgraded from tears to sniffles, pointed at Neville as she ramped back up again and wailed, "He told me he loved me, and then he kissed Parvati."

McGonagall rolled her eyes.

A contrite Neville then pleaded, ""I'm sorry Luna, I didn't mean to."

Parvati spoke up, "Don't you apologize Neville, it wasn't your fault." She then turned an accusing finger towards Hermione, "It's was hers."

Hermione retorted, "Mine? That's not fair! What happened with Neville was an accident."

"Oh…. And was it an accident that his tongue ended up in my EAR!" Parvati shouted back, causing Neville to blush.

Harry then leapt to Hermione's defense. "If it wasn't for Ginny, none of this would have happened!"

"ME? I wasn't even HERE." Ginny screeched.

Ron, who had been eating his breadstick cross, leaned around Ginny and pointed at Harry, "He tried to choke me!"

Harry returned fire, "You called Hermione a bitch."

Hermione squeaked in surprise as her mouth dropped open.

Ginny jumped forward.

"Well, she is a bitch! She tried to accio me back from FRANCE!"

"I did not you little liar! Everyone knows that that spell wouldn't work from a CONTINENT AWAY!"

"Yeah, well tell that to the FIVE people it took to keep me from going."

Harry startled out of watching the back and forth by the mention of it taking five people to stop Ginny from coming when he summoned her.

"Five people, really?" He nodded his head slightly, impressed with himself.

Ron blurted out, "Yeah, well Hermione stabbed me with a fork," and he lifted his shirt to show everyone his chest before finishing, "Numerous times, and I have witnesses!"

Most of the occupants of the office averted their eyes at the sight of Ron's pail, freckled torso, but Hermione fired back.

"You accused me of upsetting Harry you git!" still hurt from having been called a bitch twice in the last minute.

Parvati then rounded on Lavender, "and you….you thought it was funny letting Neville go, I thought you were my friend, you Judas. So, what I went through was all just a big joke to you?"

"Well…YES!" Lavender replied with a straight face.

Hermione then interjected quickly, "Lavender asked me for the rest of the love potion Parvati, so she could give it to YOU when Neville was around."

"That's just evil Lavender. Why would you mess with people like that?" Neville commented, shaking his head.

"Oh what do you care? At least you were actually getting some." She replied as she looked Luna up and down.

"And who is your boyfriend these days Lavender?" Luna asked sweetly, knowing full well that at Lavender was single. Most of the group tried to hide their smirks at the startled look that appeared on Lavenders face.

"That will be quite enough, all of you!" McGonagall demanded. "So help me, I am getting tired of this nonsense. If another word is uttered by ANYONE, that person will most assuredly regret it. Am I understood?"

Each and every one of the students nodded in understanding.

McGonagall continued. "Now I want this whole sorted tale from one person, and one person only!" she said as she looked at all of them threateningly. "Is that possible?"

Harry spoke up. "I think I can do it professor."

"Go on then, as for the rest of you, if there are any, and I mean any interruptions, punishment will be swift, do I make myself clear?

"Okay well, during the course of the day yesterday, I kinda got umm," he stammered, running his hand through his hair. "You see, well… I started to have feelings for…..for Hermione." This was not how Harry wanted to introduce this topic to his friends. He scanned the room looking at the group around him before his eyes settled on Hermione who had blushed slightly at his words. What he didn't notice was the exact same tinge of pink on his headmistress's cheeks as well, seeing as how she knew exactly what had taken place yesterday between the two of them.

"Well… when I couldn't take it anymore, I kissed her," he finished.

"YOU WHAT," shouted both Ron and Ginny in unison.

McGonagall successfully silenced both Weasley's by swiftly raising her wand and pointing it in their direction while glaring at them. Once she was sure the Weasley's would remain silent McGonagall nodded to Harry, who continued.

"Well…then Neville showed up, and told me that you," he glanced at his headmistress, "wanted to see me, and it all went down hill from there. You said that students had told you that Ginny had put a love potion in my drink at lunch."

Ron, Luna and Neville all gasped at what Harry had revealed, but Ginny reacted quickly.

"WHAT?" Ginny shrieked as she rounded on Parvati and Lavender. "You went to McGonagall? Ginny was outraged. "How could you? For your information, I NEVER EVEN HAD A LOVE POTION," she screamed at them.

You could have heard a pin drop in McGonagall's office. Both Harry and Hermione, along with everyone else in the room, stared at Ginny startled by what they had just heard. Nobody said a word; they just stood looking at the young redhead who glared at them all defiantly.

"Fine, I lied, I made it all up, there was no love potion okay, so what! What the hell's the big deal anyway?"

Harry tore his eyes away from Ginny and looked toward Hermione.

"I told you. I told you it was real!"

Harry glanced back at Ginny, torn between choking the life out of the youngest Weasley, and going to Hermione. But…..As she always would, Hermione won out, and he headed towards her.

"Harry I….How could I know? Or believe?" she sputtered.

"You never…."

Before she could finish that thought, Harry had wrapped his arms around her, and drawn her into an incredibly steamy kiss that lasted for what seemed like minutes, too long, as far as those standing around and watching were concerned.

"Wow," Harry uttered breathlessly as their kiss finally came to and end. "As good as I remember," and he smirked at the kisses visibly overwhelmed recipient.

"Now…. I'm gonna kill Ginny," he said as he turned away from Hermione and started to head toward the young redhead, who quickly ducked behind her big brother.

Harry hadn't gone two steps when Hermione reached out and grabbed his hand and spun him around.

"Oh no you don't." She flung her arm around his neck and proceeded to snog him senseless.

After what was surely an inappropriate amount of time to snog someone in front of classmates and their headmistress, McGonagall cleared her throat.

"Excuse me."

When neither Harry nor Hermione responded, she tried again, this time a bit more forcefully.

"Excuse me."

The two broke apart. Hermione, still with her arms around Harry neck shrugged, "Sorry couldn't be helped," smiling the whole time.

"Can we go now professor," Harry asked.

"Well, no Mr. Potter. Just because you seemed to have worked out…." She coughed into her hand and then gestured toward Hermione, "your issues with Miss Granger here. That does not excuse the chaos I witnessed in the Great Hall, so no, you are not excused."

"Now to business, Miss Lovegood, you are free to go."

Luna nodded, looked toward Neville, sniffled, and then headed toward the door.

"Mr. Longbottom, do you have anything to say about the situation you found yourself in."

Neville made eye contact with Hermione for a moment before turning back to his Headmistress.

"No professor. What happened to me was my own fault. I took the glass from Hermione's hand without even asking her what was in it, and then I drank it. She's not to blame."

Hermione piped up, "No Professor, it is my fault; I made the potion he drank."

McGonagall held her hand up toward Hermione. "Relax Miss Granger, I will get to you later. Neville, you are free to go. Good luck with Miss Lovegood."

Neville nodded, blushed slightly, glanced quickly toward Hermione, and then headed out to find Luna.

"Miss Patil, you may go." Parvati nodded to acknowledge her Headmistress, and then glared daggers at her former best friend as she turned and left the office.

"Now to you Miss Brown, I am very disappointed in your behavior in all of this; it is unworthy of a Gryffindor. But, I believe your betrayal of Miss Patil's trust will end up costing you more than any punishment I would impose on you. I expect restoring that trust will take significant time and effort on your part. Now move along Miss Brown before I decide something more is warranted."

The remaining student left in the office seemed to find their feet very interesting at that moment.

"Mister Weasley."

Ron tentatively raised his head and looked at McGonagall.

"Yes Professor?"

"I'm not sure I can even begin to comprehend your thought process in all of this, and I am not even going to try. Quickly, explain yourself."

"Ahh, well I…uh, well….I thought Hermione had upset Harry and uh, I may have said a thing or two that might have upset her a little bit."

He looked over at his bushy haired friend and seemed to wilt slightly at the death glare she was sending his way.

"I may have…. slightly provoked her, somewhat, a little, maybe," and then he shut up.

"Do you care to explain," she gestured toward his half eaten cross he was holding.

Ron looked down at the object in his hand, and then quickly put his hand behind his back.

"Umm, No professor, I'd really rather not," he said as he shook his head.

"Very well, you are excused Mister Weasley."

"Now, as for the three of you, first, Mister Potter, what you did in regard to the summoning of Miss Weasley was extremely dangerous and reckless. While I understand the details of the situation that caused you to behave in such a matter, better that you may think actually."

Both Harry and Hermione looked at each other, and then back at their Headmistress. There was no mistaking what she was implying.

She continued, "You would do well to show a greater level of restraint when it comes to letting your emotions get the best of you. Over the last two days you have made it abundantly clear that you are severely lacking in this area. Heed my words Mister Potter, unchecked anger can be very dangerous to you, and those around you. Have I made myself clear?"

"Yes Professor, I understand."

"Good, I don't expect to see you behaving in such a manner ever again."

Harry nodded.

"You may go."

"I'd prefer to stay," he said as he gave Hermione's hand a good squeeze of reassurance.

McGonagall glared in his direction.

"You may wait outside for Miss Granger."

Harry squeezed Hermione's hand again, and she thanked him for his support with the look in her eyes, despite not saying a word.

Then to her surprise he leaned in quickly and stole a kiss.

"I'll be right outside," He assured her, and then he turned and headed for the door. Ginny caught his eye as he was leaving the room and received an angry glare for her troubles.

As Harry closed the door behind him McGonagall turned to face the two remaining students.

"Now as for you two, I am most disappointed in you both. That display you put on in the Great Hall alone was…." McGonagall shook her head, flustered. "I can't even begin to find the right words to describe it."

Hermione and Ginny lowered their heads in remorse.

"Well, Miss Granger."

Hermione looks up at her Headmistress to accept her fate.

"You knowingly broke a school rule by making a love potion. While I am sympathetic to your reasons for doing so, that does not change the fact that you did indeed break the rules. You have caused great distress to poor Neville and Miss Lovegood. Normally an infraction such as the one you have committed would guarantee you no less than five days detention."

At McGonagall's pronouncement Hermione visible slumped.

"However………..due to the circumstances which compelled you to do what you did, I think one day will be a sufficient punishment for your offence. You will do your detention with me on Monday after your classes."

Hermione bowed her head in disappointment. She had never received a detention in all her years at Hogwarts, despite the many transgressions of school rules that she, Harry, and Ron had committed.

She swallowed hard and replied, "Yes Professor."

McGonagall turned to Ginny, "Now, as for you Miss Weasley. Of all the offenders in this entire sorted affair," McGonagall waved her arm in wide sweeping arc as she spoke. "It is with you that I am most displeased. Your actions caused nearly two days of rule breaking and general lawlessness the likes of which I have never seen here at Hogwarts!"

Ginny began to defend herself

"But Profes…"

Before she could finish her plea she was abruptly cut off by McGonagall.

"I don't want to hear it. If not for you, none of this takes place. Unfortunately, telling a lie to a classmate in not a punishable offense. I shall most assuredly notify your parents as to what took place here this weekend. Aside from that, and my sternest of warnings to watch what you choose to say in the future, and to whom you choose to say it, you are regrettably, free to go.

Ginny was stunned, Hermione dumbfounded.

Hermione stood with her mouth open staring at her Headmistress.

"That's it... She walks away!"

"Excuse me Miss Granger?" The Headmistress, taking exception to Hermione's tone of voice, stared her down.

"While I am sorry that in this instance Miss Weasley's punishment does not truly fit her crime. Miss Weasley lied to a classmate, which is all she is actually guilty of. Her lie may have become much more, but she could not have foreseen that. So yes, she is free to go."

Ginny, having been dismissed, bolted for the door before McGonagall could change her mind. As she entered the hallway she spied Harry leaning against the wall on the opposite side, waiting for Hermione. They made eye contact briefly before Ginny dropped her gaze and scurried away as fast as she could.

Harry crossed the hall just as a stunned looking Hermione appeared in the doorway.

"What? What happened?"

No reply.

He usher Hermione into the hallway.

"Hermione, what happened?" Harry asked a second time.

Hermione looked up at him, "I got detention."

Harry pulled her into a hug. She did not hug him back; her arms remaining at her sides.

He stepped back, "It's okay. It's not that bad, it's only detention. Could have been worse, you could have gotten whatever McGonagall gave Ginny. You should have seen her, she ran out of that room like someone was chasing her."

"Harry…..Ginny got nothing, no detention, nothing," Hermione finally managed.

"WHAT? She didn't get anything? You mean, just you! " He was flabbergasted.

Hermione nodded.

"She causes this whole damn thing and walks away unpunished? You gotta be kidding me. How is that fair?" He was livid.

Hermione just shrugged her shoulders.

Harry began pacing around the hallway. "We can't let her get away with this. She has to pay, and I'm gonna make sure that she does."

"No Harry don't, I don't want to get in any more trouble. I just want to forget about the whole stupid thing, okay? We're together; let's just forget about Ginny, please…Harry, for me, please?" she pleaded.

Harry stared at her for a long time. He wanted to do as she asked, but his anger was still boiling way to close to the surface for him to let it go.

Hermione stepped to him and wrapped her arms around his waist and laid her head on his chest and in as soothing a voice as she could manage, said to him,

"Harry, please."

She looked up at him.

He stood stock still, but eventually replied, "I'll try, but no promises, I'm not ready to let this go yet."

"But you'll try?"

"I'll try, for you."

"Thank you."

He grunted in reply, and then emitted a gruff, "Lets get out of here."

A.N: If you were not prepared for this to end the way it did trust me, it is a long way from over. I promise! Please don't forget to leave me a review. Thanks.