Unofficial Portkey Archive

All Because of a Hippogriff by muggledad
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

All Because of a Hippogriff

muggledad

Chapter 2: Flight

******Privet Drive, Little Winging, Surrey 1945 18 June 1994******

Harry got off the Knight Bus a few blocks from his relatives' house and waited for the triple-decker purple bus to make its way off before donning his invisibility cloak. There was a sense of freedom strolling down the street of his childhood torment knowing that no one could see him. He saw that his Uncle's car was in the drive so he crept around the back of the house to peer in the kitchen window.

Standing on his tiptoes, he saw the Dursley family eating a late dinner and that Dudley had an amazing quantity of stains on his designer shirt. How his mother kept his clothes clean without magic was beyond Harry. Quietly, he went back to the front of the house and let himself inside. He stopped to listen and see if he had been heard, but the babble, with the occasional grunt and roar from his Uncle, continued unabated. With a quick grin, he made his way up to his room, closed and locked the door from the inside and stuffed an old towel in the crack at the bottom so no light would show out.

Satisfied that he was safely ensconced in his room for the evening, he sat down on his rickety bed to decide what to do for the evening. Immediately, Hermione's face filled his mind and his face immediately adopted a sappy look with a goofy grin. I know what I'll do. Just to surprise her.

He started to rummage through his trunk, brought out his Transfiguration textbook and some parchment, and sat down to do his summer homework. The first time in his entire life that he did homework with a smile.

As he settled down to go to sleep a few hours later, he put his alarm clock under his pillow, hoping he wouldn't wake his relatives when it went off. He felt pretty good about his Transfiguration essay, he had a first draft down and would give his girlfriend a hard time about it in the morning.

He paused, thinking about how much had changed in the past few weeks, and he grew somber. He didn't really know Sirius that well, but wanted to know him better. Harry felt an immediate loyalty to the escaped convict that he couldn't explain. Maybe it was a yearning for his parents and Sirius was the next best thing. Professor Lupin was a good man too, he was quiet, but a solid person. A great Uncle. Better than the sod in the parlor at least.

Hermione. Wow. Last month, he would have sworn on his magic that he knew Hermione Granger very well. Now, with just the two of them hanging out and the intimacy that their physical relationship engendered, he began to know things about her that he never imagined.

That she had cried in happiness behind the curtains of her bed the Halloween that they had saved her. She finally had friends.

That if he kissed her on the neck under her left ear she made a little groan that drove him wild.

That she had heard Harry when he sat with her all those long nights when she was petrified.

That she remembered the kiss on the cheek he had given her when they were alone in the ward.

That she wanted to help people but she didn't know the proper manner many times and that frustrated her immensely.

That she was terrified of never having anyone love her.

That she had been presented a citizenship award in the fourth grade at her local primary school for performing the Heimlich maneuver on a choking man at a restaurant.

That her first pet was a turtle named Speedy; she got him when she was five years old.

That she had forgotten to feed Speedy when they went on Holiday, she, and her Mum had buried him when they got back.

That she still felt guilty about it.

That she had dreamt about kissing him on and off since November 2, 1991.

He had also opened up with her as well. He remembered very well the Saturday afternoon when they were cuddled up and leaning on what they now called `their tree' down by the Willow. He had given her an overview of the abuse of the Dursleys and of the cupboard. She had cried for nearly an hour and then the rage overtook her and he had to tackle her as she charged up the lawn, lest she floo out from school and kill his relatives.

He had no idea why he told her the things he did. Some of them, like the time his relatives locked him in the cupboard for three days straight and he had to relieve himself in an old bucket or else soil himself, he had sworn that he would never tell anyone. But when he did, she just kissed his cheek and held him closer.

He felt safe with her. And he believed that she felt safe with him. He felt a pull to her that he could not explain. It wasn't any different than he'd ever felt toward her but then again, maybe it was different. Uncovered? Acknowledged? Allowed to be free? All those things and more. As he fell asleep, he didn't realize that he had an ear-to-ear grin on his face.

******5 Austen Way, Meryton, Hertfordshire 1045 19 June 1994******

Harry knocked on the door with a big grin on his face. His alarm had sounded at five thirty and he had it off before the second jangle finished sounding. After deciding his relatives were still sleeping, he showered, dressed quickly and wrapped his broom in his invisibility cloak putting it under his arm as he walked down Privet Drive in the early morning hours. He stopped by a petrol station and purchased a street map and some buns and coffee. Sitting at the counter in the back, he laid out the map and traced his route to Hermione's house. He figured it would take him two hours on his broom, giving himself thirty minutes to get lost and then back on track.

Since he had some time to kill, he reached in the new knapsack that he had purchased yesterday. It was a dark green color and bottomless. Importantly for Harry, it had a permanent featherlight charm on it. He brought out his gift for Hermione, wrapped it in old newspaper, and used the tape the girl at the counter offered with a smile when he explained what he was wrapping. The wrapping was a bit lumpy, but it would do.

Going to the back of the station, he double checked his map, donned his cloak and took off. It was always an incredibly free feeling when on his broom and now was no exception. He was a bit worried that someone would look up as he passed directly overhead and see him where the cloak didn't cover, so he made sure to try and fly directly over buildings and trees when possible. After he felt comfortable flying like this, he got a wicked grin, leaned forward and really opened up the broom.

He had gone fast in some of his dives for Quidditch, but this was cross-country flying and there was nothing in front of him. Three seconds later, he was flying faster than two hundred miles an hour and the exhilaration was incredible. He made a long, banking turn to follow the motorway further west and slowly descended to skim the tops of the trees.

After an hour or so, he started to slow as he entered Hertfordshire and he would be maneuvering to get to her house. After he made the trip once or twice, he felt he could go cross-country much easier and not need to follow the roads. He felt carefree and lighthearted and it was a new experience for him in his short, but intense, life.

Why? Is it just Hermione? He paused as he made a left turn on an empty street. Looking ahead he saw a young mother pushing a pram and rocketed down the street to avoid being seen by her. He slowed, which allowed him to return to his thoughts and he had a minor revelation. She's part of it, but I don't care what the Dursleys think anymore. They don't matter. Only Hermione and Sirius matter. Maybe Lupin too. That's it. And they…care about me. He had been about to say that they `love' him, but he wasn't that confident.

The blue door in front of him was ripped open and there she was. Smiling broadly, her hair still whipping around her head from the run she'd just made from her room upstairs she was wearing jeans and a long sleeve T-shirt. A very tight T-shirt. He couldn't help himself, he was a guy. When he eventually looked back up at his girlfriends face, she had a smirk and said "See something you like Harry?" and pulled him into a rib-crushing hug. Harry held her in his arms and blushed.

She pulled him inside and he stammered his apologies. She smiled again and closed the door behind him. He followed her into the kitchen and accepted a glass of juice and they sat at the kitchen table. As she sat next to him, Harry shook his head at the sight of his girlfriend. Smiling he said "Don't tell me you didn't wear that shirt intentionally to make me bug eyed."

She laughed and said "Well, it did cross my mind. I'm glad I got the desired results" and gave him a kiss on the cheek. "So, what do you want to do today?"

Harry smiled and said "Well, what I want to do involves some things that I don't think we're ready for so…" he laughed and ducked as she turned crimson and started to swat at him while smiling broadly.

After a moment, she let up and muttered "Pervert" and then "I wish."

Harry tapped his chin and acted like he was thinking out loud "Well, my Transfiguration essay is mostly done, I could knock out my Potions homework in an hour or so…" before Hermione interrupted him.

"You've done your Transfiguration essay?" she said with a huge smile.

"Well, the first draft is done. I wanted to double check a few things, but I think it's done, yeah" he replied with a big smile.

She got a playful look on her face and said "Finally! You're doing the right thing! I must be rubbing off on you" she said snootily and then he launched himself at her and began to tickle her unmercifully until she begged him off.

Fixing himself back on his chair, Harry smiled and said "Hey, I went to the bank last night and my money situation is pretty good." He paused for effect as Hermione got a curious look on her face. "My parents left me just over 115 million Galleons in cash and about another 100 million in investments." At her shocked face, he said "Yeah that was my reaction. So I was wondering if you'd be up to helping me shop for some decent clothes today."

She nodded and made to get up from the table "Sure, that sounds like fun, let me freshen up and we'll go" but was stopped when Harry put his hand on her arm.

"I got you a little gift yesterday, too. Do you want it now or when we get back?"

She got a mock-exasperated look on her face and then said with a smile "Now would be acceptable Mr. Potter." Harry had figured on this, was digging in the bag, and pulled out the newspaper wrapped gift.

He shrugged and said "I didn't think to ask them to wrap it at the store, so I wrapped it this morning at the petrol station. I hope you like it."

Hermione smiled and squeezed his hand before tearing into the gift. She opened the cube shaped box that was about nine inches in each dimension and gasped. The light from inside the box was dancing across her face as she looked up to him with wonder on her face and said "Can I?" while gesturing to the box.

Harry nodded and said "It's not hot unless you want it to be. There's a booklet underneath that will explain everything you can do with it."

Hermione nodded absently as she pulled out a glass globe that encased the most beautiful fire she had ever seen. It burned and licked, displaying the entire rainbow of colors one at a time and then all at once. It was the most captivating thing she had ever seen. Staring in it's depths she said "I love it."

Harry smiled and let out the breath he didn't know he had been holding; glad he had picked a good gift. "It's Gubrathian fire, everlasting fire that will never go out. The globe can be cool or warm based on your preferences. The lady at the shop said you can even use it to heat your room if you want. When I saw it I immediately thought of you." At her puzzled look he continued "You are so passionate and alive. So intense about life and your pursuits. The fire just reminded me of you. The beauty and intensity wrapped in one." That was the last thing he said for a few minutes as his girlfriend had other uses for his lips and tongue during that time.

Fifteen minutes later they were walking down the road hand in hand, Harry had left his broom at her house. He said "I also got this pack yesterday" and indicated with his thumb "It's bottomless and featherlight. Do you like it?"

Hermione looked it over and tried it on and then said "Yeah, it's really nice." She glanced at him slyly and said "I like the color too."

Harry blushed a little at that and said "Well, keep it then. I bought two."

Hermione opened her mouth and began to object. "Harry it's too much. The Gubrathian fire was more than enough as it is, but this on top…"

Harry waved her off and said "Look, you're my girlfriend. I've never had a lot of money to buy the people I care about gifts and now I can. So please just accept these two things."

Hermione pursed her lips and said "Ok, but no more gifts for a while."

Harry nodded and said "Deal." They then proceeded to have a wonderful day, laughing and carrying on while Harry modeled dozens of outfits for Hermione to pass judgment. At the end of the day, Harry had a new wardrobe, another wonderful memory for his Patronus and had even left his Dursley rags in the changing room.

Harry pulled the other knapsack, which was dark red, out of Hermione's green one, neatly stacked all his clothes in it, and carried it back to her house for an early dinner. They laughed and chatted the whole way home, holding hands and stealing kisses every now and then. When they walked up the drive to Hermione's house, her demeanor changed abruptly. She became much more serious and while still holding his hand, she was much less affectionate in her body language.

Harry looked at her and said "Did I do something wrong?"

Hermione had a panicked look on her face and said "Oh, no!" and gave him a quick hug. She nodded toward the open garage and the silver Mercedes inside and said "My parents are home from the club is all. They don't like a lot of noise in the house."

Nodding, Harry followed her inside were they greeted Hermione's parents in that same stiff, distant formality from King's Cross that was beginning to make Harry wonder if all was right in the Granger household. After a very proper dinner, on very proper china with very proper linen, during which absolutely nothing of consequence was discussed, Harry offered to help clean up to which a horrified Mrs. Granger said to Hermione "Dear, why don't you and your friend stroll through the garden."

Hermione responded with a "Yes, mum" and they wandered out to a beautiful garden. They held hands and wandered a bit, finally sitting on a bench. Hermione sat down, a good hand's width from touching Harry, making him wonder yet again about the strangeness of her family life. She was usually curling up in his lap or melding herself to his side while he wrapped his arm around her. All through dinner, she had been abnormally reserved and shooting Harry looks, as if she were afraid that he was noticing the extraordinary lack of emotion in the family. Looking at her face, he was immediately concerned. She looked like she was about to cry.

"What's wrong, my Hermione?" and he scooted up to her and wrapped his arm around her. She stiffened for a moment, then relaxed, and leaned into him.

She snuffled for a minute or two before she spoke so softly that Harry had to lean in to hear her at all. "All my life, I just wanted my parents to love me." She glanced at him, recovered, and said in a matter of fact tone "I always had nannies before school started. First there was Beatrice, I barely remember her except for the scent of licorice. Then there was Lucy, she was really nice, but she got married and they moved to Malta. When I was five, we had Irina. She was great and made the best food, but one day she just didn't come and Mum and Dad figured that she was here illegally and was either arrested or ran from the Immigration service." Now she calmed and said "The only time my parents ever talked with me about anything that even remotely pertained to me was when we discussed school or reading." The tears began again, Harry pulled her to his chest, and all now made sense. The awkwardness, the strange looks, Hermione's subdued behavior, all of it.

After a few minutes, she dried her eyes and said "Don't get me wrong, they love me and I love them, I just….I hope they do" she finished in the slightest whisper. She paused for a minute or two then struck her fist on the bench and said angrily as the tears leapt forth again "What do I have to do, Harry! I've always had the best grades, I never get in to trouble, I even have a job to make my own money!" Turning to Harry with tears falling down her face she begged "What's wrong with me Harry, why won't they love me?"

With his heart breaking, Harry pulled her close and let her sob on his chest. He knew the feelings of doubt and the wonderings all too well. He had begun to move past the Dursleys and the Witch in his arms was a big reason for that. "I'm here my Hermione. I'm here" he said over and over while he rocked her back and forth.

She cried for a few more minutes and then he just held her for a few more than that. He felt good, just holding her like this. He couldn't protect her from her parent's indifference and neglect, but he could hold her and wrap her in a cocoon of his…love? Now is not the time to worry about that. You care about her deeply and that's good enough for now.

Finally, she said into his chest "Thank you boyfriend. You do know that you are my best friend, don't you?" At his nod she laughed wetly and said "I don't know why I said all that now." She straightened and pulled her handkerchief out to clean up. After a minute, she said softly "It was all true though. I didn't think I'd ever tell anyone" and she turned to look in his eyes, taking his hand in the process "But I'm glad I told you."

They sat there for a while, cuddled up with each other, not saying anything, just being together and drawing strength from each other. After a bit, the sun began to go down and Harry said "I should probably head out, I've got about an hour back to Little Winging." He didn't move to show how enthusiastic he was for the idea.

Hermione tapped his chest with her index finger and hesitantly said "Do you want to stay here tonight? You could stay in the guest room, I'm sure you realize Mum and Dad won't object."

He said "Sure, I'd really like that if it's not too much of a bother."

She jumped up and said "I'll be right back" and ran into the house.

******Deep within the Forest 1945, 19 June 1994******

The male figure sat across from his mate, deep in contemplation. They were in a small glade in their woods, having been drawn there by the inner pull that some call intuition, others God-consciousness. Whatever it was, it brought them there and they had joined hands and called out to the world and were listening to the answer.

Finally, she spoke in a voice that rippled like an icy brook as it coursed across its stony bed. She looked at her husband with clear blue eyes and said "They are alone now. As it should be."

He looked up at her, shook his thick white hair and in rougher tones said "No, not alone, but they only have each other. There are others who will love them."

She nodded back in concurrence. A few moments later, she said "They will need guidance as they discover their path. Someone to help them harness that which is within. The brother and sister can help them some, but not all."

He rose from his seat and held his hand out for his wife to help her up. She rose gracefully, with the coiled strength of a panther at midnight. As they walked back to their home high in the trees he held her hand and said "I will think long about who to send. They will need much help." They continued to walk, and after they had crossed a small stream, he spoke again "They are already hunted."

******Privet Drive, Little Winging, Surrey 1600 20 June 1994******

Harry spent the night in a luxurious room and had the best night's sleep since he didn't know when. They'd stayed up until late talking about this and that until they had almost fallen asleep on the floor of the parlor. Harry dragged himself awake at 0930 and found that the elder Grangers had left and Hermione was still asleep. He made a quick breakfast of bacon and eggs and then put on a pot of coffee and went to wake his girlfriend.

Walking into her decidedly feminine room, he had to smile. Even now that they were dating and he was more aware of her womanly assets, he still didn't see her as girly. A girl, yes, but not girly. She was half buried under her bedding and her hair was like a mountain of brown curls. His smile broadened and he gently shook her shoulder saying "Breakfast is ready, wakey wakey."

She stirred and woke suddenly. Flipping on to her back she said "Harry!" and then quickly put her hand in front of her mouth. When he looked at her hand quizzically, she sighed, blushed slightly and said in a mortified undertone "I have morning breath."

He chuckled, to which he received a glare. "Come on, brush your teeth and come get breakfast while it's hot" and dodged a pillow on his way out of her room. A few minutes later, he and Hermione were eating a hearty breakfast, side by side.

They had an easy day of it, walking around her neighborhood and kissing in the park by her house. He finally decided that he'd head back to his relatives house around three. "Will you come tomorrow?" she asked while reaching for his hand. A sudden smile jumped on her face "We can do homework. I'll do my Transfiguration tonight and we can compare tomorrow, Ok?"

Harry smiled and gave her a quick kiss. "Ok. See you tomorrow for a late breakfast?" When she nodded, he kissed her again, donned his knapsack and cloak and rocketed into the sky with a muffled "Wooohoooo!"

An hour and a half later, Harry landed in his relatives' backyard after a few slow fly-bys where he saw no movement in the house. He quickly stashed his broom under his cloak and made his way to the back door. Quietly letting himself in, a disgusting odor immediately assaulted his nose. Choking back his gag reflex, Harry looked around for the source of the rank smell. This kitchen and adjacent parlor were in their usual immaculate condition. He slowly made his way across the room, silent as a ghost. The hackles on his neck began to tingle and he paused. Still nothing aside from the rank smell that now seemed to radiate from the upstairs. Pulling his wand out of his back pocket and holding it at the ready, he carefully went up the stairs, taking care to skip the creaky steps and looked around. The door to his Aunt and Uncle's bedroom was half-open and had four deep gouges in the wood.

With his blood thrumming in his ears, he approached the door and slowly pushed it open. Lying on the bed was what was left of his relatives. It looked like a can of dark red paint had exploded in the room. His Aunt, Uncle and Cousin had been ripped apart, as if a wild animal had been at them.

The sight of his mauled relatives, combined with the revolting odor of mostly dried blood, bile and gore sent Harry over the edge. He gagged once, twice and then vomited his breakfast on his Aunt's pristine hall carpet. Once he got control of his senses, he spun around and ran to his room. Inside, he found Hedwig in her cage, frantic to be let out. Letting out the breath, he didn't know he'd been holding he first opened the window and then the cage saying "There you go girl. Find me at Hermione's."

He quickly packed anything he wanted in his knapsack, leaving his trunk and other unnecessary items. He ran to the backyard, plucked his cloak off his broom and swung it on his shoulders. Moments later, which seemed like years in his desperation to be gone from this charnel house, he was on his broom and lifted off from the back yard as if he'd been shot out of a gun. He headed directly toward Hermione's house, hoping he wouldn't get lost. I can't get lost. If they were after me, they could be after her. Faster, faster. He accelerated to well over 200 miles an hour and kept urging his broom faster. Discovery be damned, he was going to get to her if it was the last thing he did.

******5 Austen Way, Meryton, Hertfordshire 1700 20 June 1994******

Hermione sat at the desk in her room doing the most `girlish' thing she'd ever done in her life. She was doodling on a piece of paper, writing `HG + HP' in little hearts and under the dark blue ink stain near the bottom of the parchment one could just make out `Hermione Jane Potter' if you looked closely. She stopped and looked at the parchment with a goofy smile, before balling it up and tossing it in the trashcan. Pulling out a fresh sheet, she opened her Transfiguration textbook and got down to work.

She was almost done when there came a furious hammering on the front door. She could also swear that she heard Harry calling her name, but that wasn't right, Harry wouldn't be back until tomorrow morning. Running downstairs, she opened the door to see a red-faced Harry at her front door.

Harry ran in the doorway and crushed her in a hug that she was too surprised to respond to at first. After a moment, she gently hugged him back and noticed that he was murmuring over and over "You're Ok, you're Ok." Now worried, she said "Harry, what's wrong?"

He pulled back and said "There's no time now. I don't know how to explain it, but I know that the people or things that killed my relatives are going to be coming here next." Her eyes opened as wide as saucers. He grabbed her hand and walked toward the steps saying "Come on, you need to pack quickly."

Hermione went upstairs unresistingly, her incredible brain overwhelmed with the murder of her boyfriend's vile relatives. He gave her an overview of the details by the time they reached her room. He handed her the knapsack he'd just bought her "I've got mine filled with most of my belongings. My broom is out back. Pack as much as you can, I'm going to go scour the pantry. Be quick" and he was gone from the room.

Harry ransacked the pantry, and for the first time in his life, thanked the Dursleys for making him cook so much as he grabbed makings for several meals. The food and his money would be enough to allow them to hide for a bit before he could meet up with Sirius. He was just finishing when Hermione came downstairs. She said "Harry, how are we going to explain this to my parents?"

Harry stopped in his tracks, completely dumbfounded. If they didn't tell the Grangers, whatever killed the Dursleys would surely kill Hermione's parents. While he disliked them severely for their neglect of Hermione, he didn't want them torn apart. But would they believe him? Believe him enough to go on holiday or to a hotel for a bit? Looking back at her he said "Would they believe the truth?"

Hermione chewed on her lip, and said "We can try. I don't know what else to do" as she went to the kitchen and picked up the telephone. She dialed the phone and talked to her mother. After calmly explaining the situation in graphic terms to her mother Hermione covered the mouthpiece with her hand. "Mum always listens to me better than Dad. She's telling him now and I think she believes me, she sounds scared."

Harry nodded and said "Tell her we are going to meet up with Sirius early and we'll write."

Hermione nodded and took her hand from the receiver and continued the conversation with her mother. A few minutes later, she hung up with a sigh and said "They are going to use one of the rooms at their club for the next month. They figure that should be long enough." She looked at him with a sad expression and said "She told me to have fun with you and Sirius and to always carry a clean handkerchief."

Harry squeezed her hand and they went out back after locking up the house. They both got on the broom, it was a tight fit to have the cloak cover them both. The front end of the broom jutted out, but Harry wasn't too chuffed about that, he doubted anyone would notice it. He had put his knapsack on his front, Hermione snuggled up to his back and they flew off into the gathering twilight.

******Brighton Pier, East Sussex 1400 26 June, 1994******

The last week had been alternating between terrifying and wonderful. They had flown to a nearby town and Harry had hidden their belongings and begged Hermione to stay under the cloak while he bribed the desk clerk with fifty pounds to get him a room for the night with no questions or ID required.

In retrospect, they would laugh, but it was a bit awkward, their first hotel room together. Hermione opened the door to their room and Harry had come in behind her, carrying the baggage and not looking around much. He set the bags on the dresser, and leaned the broom in the corner, careful to drape the cloak over it completely. Turning to Hermione, he saw her staring into the middle of the room. Frowning he turned around and almost choked. There was only one bed.

Instantly panicked he looked back to Hermione who had adopted her stance that had Harry thinking of some of the harangues he got about not doing his homework on time "Ok, Harry. There's only one bed. I trust you not to do something I don't want you to do. So we'll be adult about it and maybe snuggle a little bit but we are sleeping in the bed." She had emphasized `sleeping' with a narrowing of her eyes to which Harry nodded frantically. In his most feverish teenaged-guy fantasies, Hermione played a central role, but not even like this. At least not until now. Shaking his head, they headed out to a restaurant to get a meal.

That night, he had a wonderful experience, he and Hermione had snuggled quite a bit, kissed a little, but mainly he held her. He wasn't used to sharing the bed, so he didn't get to sleep until well after midnight, but the whole time, he held her while she slept on his shoulder. It was the best feeling he'd ever had. He fell asleep around one, his face wet with tears.

The next day they had stopped by Diagon Alley and sent a message to Sirius to meet them as soon as he could and gave an overview of what had happened. Hedwig hadn't caught up to them, and probably wouldn't any time soon at the rate they were traveling. They stopped by Gringotts and Harry withdrew ten thousand pounds. He gave half to Hermione who immediately protested.

Annoyed, Harry said "Hermione, this isn't a gift or me trying to buy you off or anything. I thought you knew me better than that." Chastened, she accepted the money and stowed it in her pack.

They kept flying across the country, never staying in the same place for more than one night. On Wednesday night, in London, they had a close shave as a drunk tried to get in their room by mistake. It had taken Harry shouting through the door and Hermione frantically calling the front desk to make the man go away. They didn't sleep much the rest of the night.

On Thursday, they received an owl from Sirius telling them to be at Brighton Pier on Friday afternoon at 2PM.

Harry and Hermione arrived at the pier at 1100 and strolled up and down it three or four times to ensure that no one was following them or waiting for the rendezvous. They were now leaning on the side of a T-shirt stand at the base of the pier wearing hats and sunglasses, looking like any other young couple on holiday in this resort community.

At ten minutes to two, Hermione elbowed Harry in the ribs and he looked to his left. Sure enough, Remus Lupin was walking down the boardwalk toward the pier. He was wearing a pair of faded jeans and an old Gryffindor T-shirt with a faded crimson lion on it. Harry breathed a sigh of relief, but continued to keep looking around. The last week had taught him that paranoid was keeping him and his girlfriend alive.

He didn't make eye contact with Remus, and surprisingly, he didn't turn to walk down the pier, but continued to walk straight on past it. As he passed the teens, he stuck his hand in his pocket and they heard in their heads "Follow me, keep about fifteen feet or so back."

They casually pushed off the T-shirt stand and linked hands as they walked down the boardwalk, following Remus. He continued his unhurried pace for two miles into the city proper, all the while not looking back or speeding up. Finally, he made a few turns, went into a hotel lobby, and slowed as he approached the lifts. Harry and Hermione caught up to him and without greeting him, got on the same elevator with him.

After the door closed, Remus shushed the teens, pulled out his wand and cast a quick privacy ward. When he was done, then his gaze softened and he said "How are you two? We've been worried sick about you?"

After being reassured they were Ok, they got off the lift on the seventh floor and went to room 747. Remus opened the door and there was Sirius, looking expectantly to them, relief flooding his face.

A/N

1) I own nothing.

2) I'm sorry, it won't leave me alone! I'm going to let `Stand' sit for a bit, while I gather my forces so to say. Meanwhile, Hippogriff has me firmly in its clutches.

3) If you haven't noticed, this fic is quite a bit less happy in the family aspect than my other story. That's intentional. Also, fifty points to your house if you pick up all the allusions in Hermione's address.

-->