Unofficial Portkey Archive

All Because of a Hippogriff by muggledad
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

All Because of a Hippogriff

muggledad

Chapter 9: Hogwarts

Near the England/Scotland Border
0830, 01 September 1994

Nemeas wheeled and dove on his prey. Wings fully extended and talons flashing, the Golden Griffin dropped through the air like a stone. His prey shot to the left in a nimble wheeling turn, frustrating the dive and causing the Creature of Air to sound his shrieking roar in agitation. Pulling up, he followed his prey in its turn and subsequent dive to the ground.

As the magnificent creature again closed with his prey, he extended his talons while he began his screeching roar. Suddenly, the prey flipped over and Lord Nemeas, Immortal Creature of Air found himself being ridden by Harry Potter.

If a Griffin could blush and chuckle at the same time, he'd have found a way.

Harry was under no such restriction and laughed heartily. Throwing his arms around Nemeas' neck, Harry hugged his friend, muttering, "Tag you're it." Letting some more laughter bubble up, he stroked Nemeas' feathers and whispered, "That was fun, we need to do this more often."

Nemeas tilted his head back in affection and let loose rumbling growl of affirmation. Levelling his flight, the Golden Griffin glided for a long minute to allow Harry to hop off his back as they continued their northward flight to Scotland.

.oOo.

Harry landed in front of the main entrance to the castle as Nemeas flew overhead toward the Forbidden Forest. Hermione was sitting on the outside bench with Fawkes in her lap. She was stroking his feathers as they sang to each other.

His wife was singing a song of the Undying lands. A song of love and peace to which Fawkes trilled an accompaniment that was heart wrenchingly beautiful. Unnoticed, Harry stood there for a few minutes and soaked up the beauty of the song.

Harry had never known that Hermione could sing so well until he happened on her in a glade of the forest of Tir na nOg. She was singing to Fawkes and Hedwig as she slowly danced in the moonlight. Fairies and Nymphs surrounded her, celebrating her song of the gods. The entire forest seemed alive with magic, beauty, love and power so that it took his breath away. Light danced through the glade, the wind adding its own melody to her ethereal voice rising and falling. Her beauty, the song and the surroundings moved him like never before.

He watched her sing the entire song and then slowly approached her. Taking her in his arms, he surprised her by kissing her with a passion that he didn't even know he possessed.

They didn't leave the glade until the next morning.

Shaking his head clear of the vivid memory, Harry smiled at his wife. She caught his eye and smiled so that she took his breath away once again. Love, confidence, amusement, and a touch of mischievousness shone through the look.

Reassured that they were doing the right thing, he sighed. He'd fretted quite a bit about returning to the realm of Dumbledore at Hogwarts. Her look reminded him of what The Morrigan had counselled. The Meddler was of no consequence and that if they stood by each other and were true, they could do anything.

The song ended, so Fawkes rubbed his head under Hermione's chin. She smiled in response, giving him a rub or two before the Creature of Fire took to the sky to follow Nemeas into the Forbidden Forest.

Fawkes and Nemeas indicated that it would probably be best for them to inhabit the Forest for the year. The Headmaster would be most displeased with Harry being out of his control and they didn't want to antagonize the man further.

Well, that's what Fawkes had indicated. Nemeas was much more inclined for a `confrontational resolution' to the situation. It involved dismemberment and a few other nasty things. Harry had laughed at Nemeas' politics. Hermione had not.

Giving his wife a hand up, they entered the castle and made their way to Minerva's office.

On the first staircase, Harry softly asked, "Does it feel good to be back?"

"Yeah, I guess so." She paused and asked, "Have you noticed the castle has a distinctive smell?"

"Yeah, it does. Mix of the food from the Great Hall, unwashed teenager and a bit of a musty smell from a thousand year old castle."

They walked hand in hand. Harry pulled a face at his wife when they passed a broom closed and indicated with his head that they should `investigate' the interior.

Rolling her eyes, she responded, "Potter, the next time I make love to you it won't be in a broom closet." Grabbing his shirt she pulled him close and kissed him thoroughly. Smiling at him, she added, "At least I think it won't."

Laughing, they finished the walk in companionable silence. Knocking on Minerva's door, they heard, "Enter."

Inside they found Minerva and Filius sharing a pot of tea and joined them. When the Potters had settled, Minerva asked, "Are you ready for Albus?"

Harry nodded and answered, "Not looking forward to it, but ready nonetheless."

The Potters had discussed it off and on since they accepted the offer from Minerva and Filius. Hermione had been insistent about one topic, "If that manipulative old bastard casts one erg of magic in your general direction, I'm going to burn him to ash."

Harry related the story to their mentors and got a hearty chuckle from Filius and a tight smile from Minerva.

"If he starts in on you about staying in the castle, let Minerva or me deal with it," advised Flitwick from his chair by the window. "That's not your fight."

At that pronouncement, Filius hopped from his chair and showed Harry and Hermione to their quarters. Entering behind a portrait of Zeus and Athena, they found a comfortable living arrangement with one bedroom and an overlarge living room with two desks and a sitting area.

"You're just down the hall from me," Flitwick told them as he pointed further down the passageway. "The portrait of Perseus and the Gorgon is me. The password to open it is `Nuada'." The short man grinned at them, "I changed it for you two."

The lack of kitchen facilities prompted the next question from Harry. "Will we be eating in the Great Hall?"

"There or have the elves bring your food to you here."

Hermione poked her husband and smiled mischievously, "It'll be fun to eat in the great hall."

The Hogwarts Express
1100, 01 September 1994

Neville and Nymphadora had a compartment to themselves as the Express headed north. She had assumed a slightly smaller form than usual and changed her hair colour to be a dirty blond. Still, she wouldn't be true to herself without a little flair. In the right light, her hair had a distinct pink coloration to it.

They were chatting and eating the lunch that Andromeda had packed for them. "Never thought I'd be eating one of Mum's lunches on the Express again," Nymphadora laughed as she wiped mustard from the corner of her mouth.

Neville laughed softly. After a moment, he said, "I never really told you how much I appreciate this Dora."

"It's no problem at all little brother. I'm glad to be able to help you and I want to do this. Plus, we'll get to know each other better, yeah?"

He nodded and took another bite of his sandwich as the door to their compartment opened. Susan Bones and Hannah Abbott came in the compartment. "May we join you?"

Tonks laughed as Neville swallowed hastily. He began coughing as he indicated the open bench across from him and Tonks. Taking pity on the lad, Tonks clapped him on the back a few times until he quit coughing. Red-faced, he softly greeted the Hufflepuffs, "Hello Susan, Hannah. Did you have good summers?"

The girls traded a quick look before Susan answered, "It was alright, I suppose." After a pause, she continued, "I heard about your Grandmother, Neville. I'm really sorry."

He looked at the floor for a second until Tonks stepped on his foot. He glanced at her with a smile and straightened back up. "Thanks Susan. I've been really lucky, though. Dora, here," he indicated with his head, "Her family has taken me in and given me a new family. I can't imagine what it would have been without them."

Extending her hand to the `Puffs, Tonks greeted them, "Dora Puryear. Pleased to meet you."

They'd decided that the easiest cover for Tonks was mostly the truth with a few lies mixed into the mix. Her surname and age would be the only big lies. Everything else would be truth. It made it easier on her and Neville to keep their stories straight and lent an air of authenticity to their tales.

"I'm finally starting at Hogwarts. I've been home schooled until now."

"Oh," said Hannah. "So, you'll be sorted tonight?"

"Nope," replied Tonks. "I was sorted this summer in the Headmaster's office. Gryffindor for me."

The girls nodded at this. It had actually been a bit of a grind for her to go up to Gryffindor Tower. As a Hufflepuff Alumna, she was proud to be a Badger. She had been teasing Neville that she was really a Badger in Lion's clothing, to which he could only guffaw.

She watched Susan a little closer as the other three continued their conversation. Oh, my. She's got it bad for ickle Nevviekins. Glancing at her `brother', she had to stifle a laugh. He's got it bad too. Need to teach the boy about the better…I mean, fairer sex.

At this point, the compartment door opened and Draco Malfoy half entered. Not seeing the person for whom he was looking, he noticed Neville and sneered, "Squib, where's scarhead?"

Tonks had heard her cousin was a real ass. His behaviour only confirmed the rumour and caused her to want to punch him on the nose something fierce right now. She couldn't help but smile when Neville stood to face the slightly built Malfoy heir. As he rose to his full height, Tonks was reminded that Neville had grown a bit this summer and filled out as well.

"M-malfoy, get out. You aren't wanted here," and Neville pointed to the hallway.

Shocked at the backbone the Longbottom of Longbottom was displaying, Malfoy said nothing. He began sputtering when Neville gave the blond boy a push and then shut the door on him.

Dora came to the rescue and waved her wand at the door locking it. Two more flicks darkened the glass and made it unbreakable. She wrapped her arm around Neville's shoulders in a playful fashion and turned to Susan and Hannah. With a big grin for the two Hufflepuff girls sitting across from them, she asked, "Isn't he the best brother?"

With a slight blush, Susan replied, "Yes, he is."

Great Hall, Hogwarts
1200, 01 September, 1994

Deciding to follow Sirius' advice from so long ago while they fumed in the Marauders' Pad, Harry and Hermione `went for broke' and strolled into the Great Hall for lunch as if they hadn't a care in the world.

Most of the teachers were seated at the staff table as the food had just appeared. Hagrid was fully involved in consuming his meal.

"I never noticed that he had an extra large plate," Hermione whispered.

"Wow, Ron didn't even come close to being the Master Consumer of Hogwarts," Harry responded, looking appreciatively at the mounds of food Hagrid had piled up.

Most of the professors continued with their eating after a quick glance at the newcomers. Minerva and Filius had informed the gathered about their apprentices so no one looked closer.

Except Severus Snape.

The Potters approached the two empty seats at the end of the table opposite the Potion Master when he called out, "Who are you?"

"People with far better manners than you," Harry muttered. Vector and Hagrid both heard him and they burst into laughter.

Hermione shot Harry a big smile and tugged his hand. He smiled back and they slowly made their way down the front of the long table. Realizing the flair with which the Potters would handle this `situation', Filius had his hand to his mouth to smother the laughter. Unfortunately, his beet red face gave him away.

Minerva was in the same boat and exercising her considerable self control to maintain a placid, or near placid expression.

Dumbledore frowned as he watched Harry and Hermione walk past him. Their age, hair colour and carriage provided such a difference that he didn't recognize them. On top of that, Harry no longer wore his glasses. Joining the Aspectus rune had freed him from the need for spectacles. It allowed him wonderfully perfect vision for the first time that he could remember. Aspectus also gave him and his wife other capabilities which had nothing to do with vision in the commonly held visible spectrum of light.

They stopped in front of the surly, unwashed Professor of Potions and paused for a heartbeat. They both wore amused expressions with a touch of playfulness. Harry extended his hand which Snape reflexively grasped. The Son of Air's smile broadened as he said, "So good to see you again, Severus. Harry Potter at your service, sir."

For the next three seconds, Harry could hear the rustling of the trees in the forest it was so quiet in the Great Hall.

Following up, the Daughter of Fire extended her hand, "Hermione Potter. Good to see you again."

Her hand was ignored as Snape stared at Harry in revolted disbelief. Finally, he pulled his hand back from Harry as if he had been scalded. Sneering at the duo, he spat, "POTTER! What foolishness is this?"

Pulling his wand and standing in the same movement, Snape quickly found himself staring at the pointy end of wands of holly and vinewood. Freezing in place, he looked quite comical and most of the other professors surrendered themselves to sniggers, chuckles and outright laughter from Hagrid.

"Good on yer `Arry and `Ermione!"

"Thanks Hagrid," responded a smiling Hermione.

"Now Severus," taunted a grinning Harry, "I know you weren't about to draw your wand on us. We've been gone so long and that would be most inhospitable." Turning to Hermione, he asked, "Wouldn't it dear?"

"Oh, yes. Most inhospitable."

Turning back to Snape with a wide happy smile, he continued, "So why don't you have a seat and finish your meal Severus? Mustn't let all this good food go to waste. The house elves worked quite hard so that you could have this sumptuous meal."

Turning to Hermione he extended his elbow and asked, "My dear?"

Swallowing her laughter, she took Harry's proffered arm and he `escorted' her to the other end of the table where two empty places waited for them.

"Mr. Potter, Miss Granger."

Ignoring the Headmaster, Harry pulled out Hermione's chair for her and then sat himself.

"Harry, Hermione," the old man called again.

With a pleasant expression Harry looked toward the old man. "Yes, Headmaster?"

"Where have you been, my boy?"

Swallowing his mouthful of steak, Harry waved his fork in a vague circle, responding, "Oh, around," before turning back to his plate.

The Great Hall was silent again, which the Potters ignored. "You must try the beets, love. They're delicious," Hermione commented as she passed her husband the bowl.

Closing his eyes and taking a deep breath to keep his composure, he responded, "Thanks, love."

With a clearing of his throat, the Headmaster tried to gain their attention and failed. Finally, the old man snapped, "Harry, I must insist that you tell me where you've been this summer and explain the changes you and Miss Granger have undergone."

Looking at Dumbledore with an expression an adult usually adopted for a confused child, Harry answered, "Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you knew. This is my wife," and he indicated the mirthful Hermione. "Hermione Potter. We've been married for quite a while now."

With that he turned back to his meal. "Ummm. The beets really are lovely."

Choking, Hermione answered, "Aren't they?"

Filius had to get up from the table to retrieve the fork he had thrown underneath. The howling laughter that came from him was not muffled though. At that, the rest of the staff, bar Snape, began to rollick with laughter.

Dumbledore dropped his napkin on his plate and stood. Striding behind the table, he paused behind the Potters chairs and said, "You'll accompany me to my office, now."

Still having fun in his playful defiance, Harry smiled and replied, "We'll be there right after lunch, Headmaster."

"You'll come now," Dumbledore rumbled and began to loose his magic.

Waves of power began to roll off the Headmaster. Hagrid and Vector both flinched as they felt it cascade over them. It was not a pleasant experience. Harry rolled his eyes and countered, "I can do that too. Isn't it fun?"

Suddenly an offset to the Headmaster's power spiked even higher, cancelling the old man out. Harry continued, "So, too, can she," and indicated his now very serious wife. "So, what do you say we have a discussion after a rather wonderful meal?" All traces of amusement were absent from Harry's expression and his eyes gleamed like green ice.

Dumbledore pursed his lips, taken aback at the obvious power display. At one point, Harry mused, this expression would have appeared wise on the old man. Now, it was merely an indication of an internal temper tantrum. "Very well. The password is Snickers." Sketching a short half-bow to his staff, Dumbledore left the hall for his office.

Round One to the Potters.

.oO0.

Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts
1300, 01 September 1994

Harry held Hermione's hand as they followed Minerva and Filius to Dumbledore's office. "Are you Ok?" she asked.

Pursing his lips, he considered her question. "I really don't want to deal with this…'situation' with him. We have much more important things to deal with than an old man and his ego."

Hermione hooked her arm in his and cuddled as close as she could while walking. "You know I love you, right?" When Harry nodded, she continued, "We've got to play the game, love. That means you put up with him and his games, and we get to kill a Dark Lord."

He rolled his eyes at her humour, but nodded understanding. "I knew there was a reason I fell in love with you."

"Because I'm great in bed?"

Harry laughed, "Well, you are - fantastic in bed I mean. But the reason I am glad is because you've successfully pulled my mood out of the dustbin and re-centred it on your fantastic bum."

Minerva stopped in front of a vary familiar gargoyle and announced, "Snickers." The Gargoyle hopped to the side and they all headed up to the Headmaster's office.

.oOo.

Entering the Headmaster's office is always an experience. For Harry, who'd been there far too many times for far too horrific reasons, he decided to ignore the sights.

Hermione was like a kid in a candy store. The mistake that most people made in regarding her was in thinking that Hermione's great passion was books. That was a false belief. Her great passion was learning. The Headmaster had so many oddities, devices, fascinating portraits and so on that she was sure that she could spend a full year investigating and learning. She sighed, as she knew it would never happen.

Albus Dumbledore sat behind his massive desk, his most forbidding expression on his face. With a frown, he motioned to Filius and Minerva, "Thank you for escorting the… Potters here. I will catch you up before the feast."

"I'm afraid that we need to be here, Albus," Flitwick commented in a mild voice. "They are our apprentices, after all."

Harry put forth all his will to stifle his laughter at Dumbledore's stunned expression. Gathering his courage, he proceeded with Sirius' plan.

Waving his wand, he conjured three comfortable chairs; a repeat of the spell conjured a hardback chair. He gave Minerva a cheeky smile as he handed her into the hardback chair. "Scamp," she grumbled under her breath.

Filius sat next to Minerva while Harry handed his wife into her seat. Flopping down in his own chair, he smiled brightly at the Headmaster.

"So, are you excited for this school year Professor? I'm sure the Tournament will be a handful, but still fun."

It was fairly obvious that Dumbledore didn't appreciate Harry's attempt at small talk. Scowling, he leaned forward, placing his hands flat on the desk. "Mr. Potter. You have been most irresponsible this summer and I will have an accounting from you of your doings." When Harry merely smiled in response, Dumbledore's eyebrows beetled and he growled, "Now."

Harry tapped his chin in mock thoughtfulness. Turning to Hermione he pulled a face to which she lifted her hands, palms up in a gesture of unknowing. Harry nodded in understanding before turning back to the Headmaster and asked, "I'm curious as to why I owe you an explanation for anything outside of my Hogwarts schooling." He beamed another innocent smile before adding, "Sir."

Smugly, Dumbledore sat back in his chair and steepled his fingers under his chin. "It is my business, Harry, as I am your guardian."

"Ah. Professor," he turned to Filius and asked, "Would you please cast the Tempus spell on me and my wife?"

"Of course." A quick wand flick later, fiery numbers proclaiming Harry to be twenty three years, six months and fourteen days old matched the numbers proclaiming Hermione to be twenty four years, seven months and twelve days old.

"As you can see, Headmaster," Harry indicated to the numbers, "My wife and I are legal adults. I appreciate the time and effort it must have cost you to attempt to assume guardianship of me. I'm sure that you only had the best of intentions, but it really isn't necessary."

He beamed at Dumbledore again, paused, and then stood. Turning to Hermione, he took her hand and began to leave the office. He was opening the door for his wife when Dumbledore recollected himself.

"I'm not done, Mr. Potter. Please return to your seat."

Harry was becoming exasperated. They weren't students. Harry was of age, so Dumbledore wasn't his guardian. Why did the old man think he had any say in his life? Turning back to the elderly Headmaster, Harry adopted an over the top puzzled expression and began listing items ticking them off on his fingers.

"We've covered the fact that you aren't my guardian...You're definitely not my wife's guardian…We aren't really friends, much closer to acquaintances…We aren't students any more…" He looked the headmaster in the face, "What do we have to discuss with you?" Turning to Hermione, he asked, "Have I missed something?"

"Not that I'm aware of. Perhaps the Headmaster knows something we don't." Turning to the now fuming old man, the Daughter of Fire asked, "Sir? Is there something of which we are unaware?"

Harry smiled, knowing his wife was baiting Dumbledore about the prophecy. A circular argument began in his head, "I know that you don't know, that we know that you know…" Sirius would be so proud of him right now.

This thought dampened his high mischievous spirits. Brushing off the mood, he adopted a waiting pose and watched the Headmaster.

"There are a great many things that I am aware that you are not," Dumbledore blustered. He had completely lost control of the situation; not a scenario that he was used to by any means.

Hesitating, he adopted a different tack, "I'd ask you to have a discussion with me."

This intrigued the Potters. Hermione asked, "Regarding?"

"A great many things." When Harry rolled his eyes and began to turn to the door again, Dumbledore surrendered. "It regards your destiny, Harry. Since you two have…married, exactly how I'm sure I don't know, this directly impacts you as well, Mrs. Potter."

"My destiny, you say." Looking to Hermione, he crooked an eyebrow.

She smiled and turned to Dumbledore, "The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches… That destiny, Headmaster?"

Completely flabbergasted, Dumbledore's mouth actually flopped open like a landed fish. Minerva and Filius both had to look away to prevent uproarious laughter. The Potters had outmanoeuvred the `Master Manipulator' - again.

Harry looked to his wife, over to Dumbledore and back to his wife. With a cheery wave of his hand he said, "Well, that settles that. Until this evening."

Round Two to the Potters

.oOo.

Potter Quarters, Hogwarts
0
700, 03 September 1994

Harry dragged himself out of bed. Ruffling his hair, he headed to the bathroom to perform his morning routine. The Welcoming Feast had been amusing, but a bit anticlimactic after the events surrounding lunch. Dumbledore had welcomed the students back, announced the TriWizard Tournament and then sent them on their way.

In retrospect, Harry was glad he and Hermione weren't announced to the student body. Hogwarts happened to be where they were living and training, but they weren't students anymore. It was a bit sad, but as Hermione had reminded him, it was also the natural order of things. He'd nodded his acceptance and then ravished her on their small dining table. Natural order? I'll give you natural order, he thought to himself with a smile.

A quick shower and shave brought him to a level of consciousness that was desirable. They were to join the Compospolis rune today and tomorrow begin to assimilate the years of knowledge that Minerva and Filius had arranged for them.

"Morning, love."

"Morning. You ready?"

"Oh, yes," she responded eagerly. "Filius told me that this one ought not hurt so much. We'll just be a bit woozy for the day."

Harry nodded as he poured a bowl of cereal for himself. They were going to stay in their rooms for the day - the next few days really - so they'd stocked up on basic foodstuffs.

"He doesn't really know, of course. But his conjectures are usually pretty close to the mark."

Harry smiled into his Raisin Bran. She was rambling. "Nervous about it?"

A large sigh from his left told the true tale. "Yes."

"Me, too."

They finished their breakfast and Harry noted the time. "They're not going to be here until ten, I think I'll find Nemeas and have a fly."

Hermione didn't look up from her book, just reminded him, "Don't let anyone see you flying without your broom."

Harry smiled as he pulled a jumper over his head, "Yes, dear."

.oOo.

Up in northern Scotland, it was still warm, yet Harry had learned that flying through the air at three hundred knots or faster created a bit of windburn. That explained his jumper and long pants. Pushing up the sleeves of said jumper, he jogged down the path toward the Quidditch pitch and the forest beyond.

Off to his right, he saw the glowing magical aura of a person under a Disillusionment charm. Pulling his invisible trick again. Aspectus has been a very handy rune.

"Good morning, Harry."

Dumbledore had ended the charm, hoping to catch Harry off guard and surprise the Potter heir. Harry decided to dash the old man's hopes by calmly replying, "Good morning, Headmaster."

Harry didn't stop his ambling progress toward the forest, which forced the Headmaster to move quickly to catch up. Continuing in his `Marauder Mode', Harry was playfully silent as he walked down the path, his long strides forcing the older Headmaster to match his pace.

Harry chuckled as he noticed the old man begin to breathe heavily. The runs in the morning were certainly paying off as he increased his pace.

"Harry, would you please slow down? I'm an old man."

Sighing, Harry slowed but maintained his silence. He was going to force the Headmaster to make the first move.

As they crossed the Quidditch pitch, Dumbledore gave in and asked, "Where are you headed this fine morning?"

Without looking at the old man, Harry responded, "The forest."

With an amused tone, Dumbledore continued, "And why would you want to enter an area that is forbidden?"

Harry chose to ignore the ridiculous question and pressed on across the pitch. I will miss Quidditch. We'll have to make it to a few professional matches, he mused to himself.

Wondering if he could get tickets to the next Puddlemere match, he was brought back to reality by the Headmaster's question, "Harry, as Headmaster I must insist on an answer."

Coming back from his trip to Neverland, Harry did what Sirius had so often done. Humour through misdirection. "Sure. How about 3.1415926?" With a slight grin, Harry turned and continued to the Forest before Dumbledore could decipher the meaning behind Pi.

Just as Harry crossed the tree line, he hazarded a look over his shoulder and his grin blossomed into a smile. Dumbledore either had given up or managed a non-magical method of concealment. The joining of Aspectus ensured that Dumbledore's little Disillusionment charm trick wasn't effective anymore.

With a little hop in his step, Harry plunged into the dark forest looking for his good friend Nemeas.

.oOo.

In a small clearing, deep in the forest, Harry stopped to find his bearings. Closing his eyes, he reached out through the air, calling for Nemeas.

Long moments passed until his mind brushed up against a familiar presence that could only be the Golden Griffin. Far off to his left, Harry heard the shrieking roar of Nemeas. Settling down to wait for his friend, Harry heard a crunch of leaves behind him. Wand in his right hand and a bolt of lightning in his left, Harry spun to face his `visitor'.

A dark coated Centaur raised his empty hands in a peaceful gesture. Harry responded with a nod, dispelling the bolt of living electricity while lowering his wand.

"Peace, Son of Air," the Centaur began. "I am Darragh, Elder of the Laoghaire herd here in the Forest." The hybrid man-horse bowed in a human fashion.

Harry returned the bow before adopting a silent waiting posture. It was one thing he'd learned from Remus: silence usually forces the other person to speak more than they intended due to discomfort. Since the Centaur had sought him out, Harry thought Darragh ought to speak first.

"The stars have told of your ascendance."

A flicker of his left eyebrow was the sum total of Harry's response.

Another moment of silence stretched for a full minute. Most people don't realize how long sixty seconds can last. When alone in the presence of a person that is a stranger, sixty seconds can be an eternity.

"The stars also told of the ascendance of your mate, the Daughter of Fire."

More silence.

"I have sought you to offer the support of the Laoghaire herd. The Dark One is returning. The stars tell us and we feel it in the Earth; it seems to groan under our hooves. What assistance we can provide, we shall."

Harry gave a short bow of acknowledgement. "Thank you Elder Darragh. Your offer is most generous."

Before either could continue, Nemeas landed in a huge flapping of his great wings. Harry smiled to his friend as he reached up to scratch behind Nemeas' wing joint. Nemeas was staring at the Centaur in a vaguely hostile manner. Darragh backed a few paces before Harry soothed his friend, "Come now, Nemeas. Darragh was being friendly. Be nice."

Harry turned back to Darragh and offered a short bow, "It has been a pleasure to meet you, Elder Darragh. May the stars shine bright in your eyes."

"And be forever clear in yours," the Centaur responded automatically.

After a quick grin, Harry shot straight up in the air. Nemeas gave Darragh another `look' before following his friend and master.

.oOo.

Defence Against the Dark Arts #4
1015, 03 September, 1994

Nymphadora was stunned. She knew Moody was a bit off his rocker, but he was systematically using the Imperius on the entire class. This was beyond anything she'd ever known the paranoid Auror to do. She'd grabbed Neville's arm during the lesson and pulled him to her, "You don't have to do this. Tell him to bugger off, that you don't want an Unforgivable cast at you."

Neville nodded in deliberation. Uncharacteristically, he set his jaw and went to the front of the room when his name was called. With a horrified expression she watched her Auror school instructor level his wand at her new brother before he shouted, "Imperio!" It was jarring for her that Moody had a hint of glee in his voice when he cast the curse.

"Jump on the desk!"

Neville hesitated, flinched and jerked like a puppet being pulled this way then that. Finally, he half jumped up toward the desk while twisting his body away at the same time.

"Haha!" shouted Moody. Glaring at the class, he growled, "He almost beat it!" Narrowing his eye at the young man on the floor, Moody commanded, "Get up, Longbottom! We're going to do this until you can throw it off completely!"

The young metamorphmagus couldn't watch as he brother was subjected to the Imperius curse four more times until he completely threw it off.

.oOo.

"Alright, what the fuck were you thinking about? I told you not to do that!"

Nymphadora had pulled Neville into an empty classroom after their Defence lesson finished. He was rubbing his knees, but otherwise seemed unhurt.

"Goddammit! What do I tell mum? She's going to skin me!" Now the Auror was pacing back and forth in front of her little brother, completely ignoring his widening grin.

Turning back to him with her finger raised high, his expression derailed her from her rant. "What's so funny?"

He shook his head in a slow fashion, he smile softening. "It's nice to have someone rant on my behalf instead of at me. Gran loved me, but she could be pretty harsh."

Completely knocked off her train of thought, Nymphadora embraced Neville while muttering, "Well, you're family."

He smiled in return.

Pulling back, Dora informed her younger brother, "We're starting your defence lessons tonight."

.oOo.

Potter Quarters, Hogwarts
0
800, 15 September 1994

Joining Compospolis did knock them for a loop. Harry ended up sleeping for twelve hours straight while Hermione was out for a good ten hours. Once they regained their bearings, they began `the upload', as Hermione called it.

They would insert Filius' and Minerva's memories into their temples on average of one every fifteen minutes for the entire morning. After lunch and a nap, they met with their mentors to discuss and assimilate the knowledge in each memory.

"This is frustratingly slow," Harry complained over a late breakfast.

"Well, we arrived with only a third year's education. Remus and Sirius did a bit of training us, but not much. We've a lot to catch up. I figure we're close to halfway through fourth year."

Harry shrugged, the wind taken out of his whinging. "Better than I expected, really. It's taken us a week and a half to accomplish four months worth of training? We'll be done with Hogwarts and well into Mastery level studies by Easter." Rubbing his temples, he muttered, "Wish it didn't hurt so much, though."

Hermione nodded. The old Hermione from primary school would have considered this knowledge transfer to be akin to cheating on a test. The Daughter of Fire recognized that she and her husband didn't have the luxury of time nor scruples about the ethics of their learning methods.

Glancing at the clock, she shut her book and poked her husband in the shoulder. "It's time."

Harry glanced at the clock reflexively. "Yeah, let's get to it."

The headed to their desks where boxes of memories encased in vials awaited them.

.oOo.

Dinner was trying, as usual. The bulk of the students still stared at the Potters as if they were pink unicorns in a muggle zoo. The students acted as if Harry and Hermione were strange creatures that were simultaneously blind and deaf to stares and comments.

"I know I shouldn't let the comments of fourteen year old Lavender Brown bother me, but if she calls you `skanky' one more time, I believe I shall transfigure her into a bog roll."

Hermione smiled, "Have fun. Let me know if you do, I'd like to see it."

Harry chuckled under his breath in response.

Snape had completely ignored them. They were no longer his students so he behaved as if they were completely invisible. On more than one occasion he had walked around the Potters in the hallways without meeting their gaze or answering their greetings.

All in all, Harry considered it to be a significant addition to their lives. "Ah, yes. Addition though subtraction," Hermione had murmured in agreement late one night.

The Headmaster, on the other hand, was still a pain in the ass. Despite their quite blatant disregard and ignoring of the old man, he still thrust himself into their lives on a regular basis.

To Hermione's horror, he had entered their apartments without knocking, using his status as Headmaster to override the security feature of the portrait. That was bad enough, what horrified Hermione was that she and Harry were in a `compromising position' on the couch at the time.

Dumbledore had retreated with curses chasing him the entire way. Zeus and his daughter, Athena, were given strict instructions not to allow anyone into their quarters without being announced, Headmaster or no.

Dinner this evening was no different. After ignoring Dumbledore's attempts at small talk for fifteen minutes, the Potters rose from the table, deciding to finish their meal in the peace of their rooms.

As they exited the great hall, a familiar voice called out, "Hey guys! You got a minute?"

Turning they saw Neville and Nymphadora sitting on the benches that lined the entrance hall. "Sure, let's go outside."

The foursome wandered out on to the lawn as Nymphadora explained the happenings of the Defence class and Alastor Moody's erratic behaviour.

"He's never been a model for mental stability, but he's even odder than usual. He cast the Imperius on all the students! All! Including the firsties! We went through that at the end of Auror training, not during first year."

Harry and Hermione exchanged looks before Hermione asked, "Did you tell Minerva?"

Neville shook his head quickly, "Not yet. We wanted to know what you guys thought first."

"Tell her," Harry counselled. "Minerva's a rare plucked `un and won't tolerate any shite." He laughed aloud before commenting, "I'd love to see her expression when you tell her."

"Tell her what?" they heard from behind them.

Harry and Hermione immediately recognized the voice and smiled widely. They turned to see their former head of house and Hermione's Mistress standing about ten yards behind them with a stern expression on her face. It looked like they'd get dinner and a show for the evening.

"I saw you all leave at the same time and concluded that you were up to no good." Zeroing in on the undercover metamorph, Minerva McGonagall pulled herself up to her most intimidating and asked, "What do you need to tell me, Nymphadora?"

.oOo.

"WHAT! HE DID WHAT?"

.oOo.

The foursome charged up the hill back to the castle in order to keep up with the Transfiguration Mistress and Deputy Head. After her outraged outburst, Minerva had transformed into her Animagus form and sprinted for the castle.

Passing through the doors, Minerva resumed her human form and stalked through the entrance hall, scattering a crowd of sixth year Slytherins.

A sharp right hand turn and the enraged Scot swooped into the great hall as dessert was served. Harry and Hermione were right behind their mentor. It's odd the things one notices in times of stress. Harry saw the Headmaster serving himself a large slice of Lemon Meringue pie while Hermione watched Pomona Sprout nibble on a chocolate chip biscuit.

Minerva reined up directly in front of Moody and hissed, "Alastor Moody, did you use the Imperius curse on students?"

He glared at her with lazy insolence for a long moment before smiling, "Why, yes. I did."

Minerva's eyes flashed, "Alastor Moody, you are hereby suspended from teaching any class at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry pending an investigation by the Board of Governors."

Dumbledore pursed his lips and subtly beckoned to her, "Minerva, a moment if you would."

Harry didn't like the expression on Moody's face, so he discreetly unsheathed his wand from its holster. After consideration, he nudged Hermione in the ribs. She caught his meaning and drew her wand as well.

Although their magical skills lagged significantly behind their elemental abilities, Minerva and Filius had cautioned them both to hide their `other' capabilities for as long as possible. "The Dark Lord has many ears," reminded Filius.

It seemed the discussion between the head and deputy had concluded with Albus nodding in resignation. Turning to the Defence professor, Albus intoned, "Alastor, I must agree with Minerva. You will not teach until the investigation is complete."

The insolent smirk on Moody's face melted into an unbalanced rage. Snarling, he stood in a jerky motion while he reached into his robes. Harry and Hermione levelled their wands on the man in a flash. Moody saw this and narrowed his eyes in response. With an expression of revolted superiority, he spat on the table in front of him before hobbling from the hall, past the silent students.

.oOo.

"That was very odd."

"Yes, it was," Hermione replied. They were taking a short walk on the grounds in the bright moonlight. They knew that soon enough the weather would be far too wet and dreary to enjoy the evenings. They decided to take advantage of the mild weather and have an evening walk.

"Did you see his expression?"

"Yeah, it was…furious and somewhat unbalanced."

Harry nodded in agreement, but before they could explore the topic of Alastor Moody any further, a small light appeared in front of them.

I was perhaps fifteen feet away, about the size of a cricket ball and hovered at waist height. The Potters exchanged glances, but when Hermione shrugged, Harry figured he might as well try.

Slowly, he approached the light, which began to dim. When he closed to a few feet away, the light became a soft glow so that Harry saw the diminutive figure at the centre.

It was vaguely humanoid with four limbs and a head. It also had two sets of insectile wings sprouting from its back. Long black hair cascaded down its back, complementing the pale blue skin. It wore a scrap of blue fabric as a shift of sorts.

Harry went to his knees so as to address the creature at eye level. He felt Hermione come up next to him and drop to her knees as well.

In a small piping voice, the creature spoke. "Well met Son of Air and Daughter of Fire. I am Aoife daughter of Conor of clan Eirhdriscoil in the faery kingdom of Tir na nOg.

"I am Harry, Son of Air. This is Hermione, my mate and Daughter of Fire."

Aoife bowed from the waist and exclaimed, "We are well met, here in the ancient lands of the Picts. I have been sent by my Lord and father to offer our assistance in your struggles. The Dark Lord approaches and his minions have caused great strife and troubles for our nation. We seek to aid you in return for your succour in our time of trouble."

"But isn't your nation in Tir na nOg? How can his minions hurt you there?" Hermione asked.

With a hint of shame, Aoife answered, "We were once of the Undying Lands. Our ancestors chose to stay here," she indicated the Forest with her petite hands, "When the Undying Lands receded from this plane of existence. We are the lost ones who can never go home." A crystalline tear dropped down her flawless blue cheek.

Hermione's heart was moved, so she reached out with a hand to attempt to console the sad fairy. After Aoife recollected herself, she reassured the couple, "You need not answer me now. If I may visit you in yonder castle, I can return in a month to discuss the matter?"

"That would be for the best," Hermione responded. "We look forward to your visit."

Aoife bowed at the waist again and flew into the Forest, her internal light dimming to nothingness the deeper she went.

Harry looked at his wife and could tell she was thinking the same thing he was. "The Morrigan warned us that some that were untrustworthy would offer us help."

"She also told us that some that were trustworthy would offer us help."

They both sighed. "Crap," Harry swore.

A/N

1. I own nothing.

2. Thanks to all who have hung in there while Partners and Harry and Gabi had my full attention. I am going to alternate Hippogriff with the last few chapters of H&G. This story should move along much faster now.

3. Compospolis (latin): Control

4. A reminder from last chapter (so long ago); Aspectus (latin): vision. Not only did it correct Harry's farsightedness, but gave both Potters what is commonly called `mage sight' (the ability to see magic). For this fic, consider it to be a selectable "on/off" ability. Or whenever I want them to use it ;).

5. Yes, Neville had the same experience as Harry did in canon GOF. It's on purpose.

-->