Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Cold Ones by Harry85
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Cold Ones

Harry85

Disclaimer: Nope, not mine. If it were we would be celebrating a very different epilogue, you know. Everything you can recognize from Twilight belongs to Stephanie Meyer. The legends about vampires and their explanations are taken from "The Twilight Companion" by Lois H. Gresh.

A/N: Here is chapter 2, I hope you will enjoy. And for those of you who have read Twilight, I hope you will agree with me on the roles I gave to the Potterverse characters, lol. Well, I'll leave you to the chapter then. I have changed all the Weasleys' ages, hope you don't mind too much.

The Cold Ones

Chapter Two: New School, New Friends

The next couple of days have passed almost as a blur. I remember asking Tom, the bartender, how to get to Diagon Alley, and hearing my parents whisper in awe when the brick wall opens to let us pass. Seriously, I've been a witch for six years already so this kind of thing doesn't faze me too much, but even I have to admit that the view once the passageway opens is pretty fascinating.

Diagon Alley seemed pretty busy even that early in the morning, with lots of people going back and forth between shops to do their business. I guessed we better get a move too, we had lots to do so I motioned for my parents to follow, grabbing my wand in my pocket. Not that I expected to be attacked, but better be safe than sorry, right?

First stop was Gringott's, where we exchanged some Muggle money into galleons. That was not much different from the Gringott's branch in France. I guess goblins are unkind all around the world.

I also made a withdrawal from my vault. Having my key, I gave it to a Goblin, who brought it to his Chief. After examining it, he looked up at me.

"International withdrawals have a fee, Ms. Granger. You will have to pay 5% on the sum you want to withdraw" he barked to me.

"I understand" I said, unfazed by his rudeness. I was used to dealing with them.

"Do you wish to proceed all the same?" the goblin, whose name was Urkthok as I could read from the tag on his chest, asked me.

"Yes, by all means. I want to withdraw 80 Galleons. But considering the fee, make it 85" I said. I needed all that money to make it through a year away from home and with my parents in another country, or so I guessed. Not that I like to spend, but going there to make another withdrawal or to change money wouldn't be handy when I would be in a school situated in Scotland, would it?

Once we left the bank, we headed to Madame Malkin's to get me a couple sets of black robes. As I was being measured for them, I saw a really pretty redhead who was being fitted for some robes too. She looked at me curiously, but said nothing and went to pay for her clothes while I entered the changing room. I wondered what that was about, but soon forgot about it as I was turning back and forth like Madam Malkin was telling me so she could apply charms to the hem of the robes to make it shorter.

It took me half an hour, but we finally got the measurement done.

"Come back in a hour, Ms. Granger, and the necessary alterations will be done to your new robes" she warmly said to me once we were done paying the bill. I nodded, and finally set out toward the bookshop.

Flourish and Blotts was pretty crowded, and you could see there were lots of Hogwarts students doing some last minute shopping for their coming school year. I rolled my eyes. How could they reduce themselves to the last days? I was coming from abroad so I had a reason, and I wasn't pleased about not being able to do some reading in advance, but they had no justification to be so lazy.

Anyway, it was not my business so I just went to scan the shelves for the books I needed, my father helping me carry them through the store. Of course, being the book lover that I am, I ended up buying another four books which were not on the list, and spending a total of three hours in the store.

My mother chuckled when we finally left and my father teased me about it. I had the decency to blush and shoot him a sheepish grin.

The day was completed by a lunch at the Leaky Cauldron and a ice cream at Florean Fortescue's parlour while we were strolling through the alley in the afternoon. Even with both my parents being dentists, they didn't completely stop me from indulging in sweets, neither did they stop themselves for that matter, although they required I brush my teeth after eating them.

But in the French wizarding world I had found something really handy for that. Gusseniere's Teethwashing Candy was the wizarding equivalent of Muggle xylitol gums, only it was ten times better. No risk for the teeth, and complete oral hygiene as the candy actually cleaned your teeth with its magical ingredients. Sadly, it doesn't seem they have it here in England, at least I haven't seen it yet while in France it is very common amongst young wizards and witches. But the French are supposed to be more careful about their appearance, right?

Then we visited the apothecary so I could buy my Potion ingredients and Dad, being the sport lover he is, dragged us into Quidditch Quality Supplies. He loves Quidditch from the books I got him on the sport, even if he never saw a match. I don't care much for the sport, really, but I don't care much for flying which is the heart of the sport itself so I guess that explains that.

The second day, I resisted my urge to read the new books knowing I would not see my parents for months, so we spent it in Muggle London, and I could tell by the looks on their faces that while they loved living in France, they were glad to be back in England as well, even if only for a short while.

We had dinner at the Leaky Cauldron though, as I had a big day ahead of me and we all thought better if I should get to bed early. Since the evening wasn't very busy, Tom sat with us at the table, and made small talk.

"So you're going to transfer to Hogwarts?" he asked, smiling at me.

"Yeah, I used to go to Beauxbatons" I started, and as soon as I said that, a look of comprehension came upon his face.

"You're the exchange student then. Every year one comes, I should have guessed it. But they usually are French so I recognize then straightaway" he chuckled. I smiled at him, he was really friendly and easy to talk to.

"Yeah" my father started. "We transferred to France some years ago but we are actually from here, and we didn't want Hermione to lose her heritage so we keep speaking English at home, plus she reads lots of books in our native language" he said, looking at me warmly.

The rest of the evening passed quickly, and sooner than I knew it, I was in my bed, reading Hogwarts: A History with my parents in the next room. I didn't even realize I was so tired, but when I woke up this morning the book was sprawled next to me on the bed. I must have fallen asleep reading it.

Right now, I'm on the Hogwarts Express, the loud whistle signalling the departure of the train. My trunk is with me here in this compartment, I managed to find an empty one. As the red train leaves the station and starts to pick up speed, I look back to the platform still full of parents seeing their kids off. A twinge of sadness wrenches my heart as I think I won't see my parents till next summer. It's not that I saw them much more when in Beauxbatons, but at least I came home for the Christmas holidays. This year, we realized it would be too complicated for me to travel back to London, then take a plane to France and go home. I will be staying at the school this Christmas.

Sighing, I take out There's A Dark Creature Next Door, How To Recognize It and start reading. It's pretty thick, I wonder if we will cover all of it in DADA class this year…

--

I was still engrossed in my reading when I hear a knock on the door. Looking up, I see a boy grinning at me, pulling the door open and leaning on its frame.

"So you're Hermione Granger, the Beauxbatons transfer" he says. "I'm Dean Thomas, ears and eyes of the school. Whatever you need, ask me, I'll be able to guide you" he introduces himself. "Or comfort you if you ever need it" he adds with a wink. I am at a loss for words, rare event in my life.

Finally finding my voice, I reply. "That won't be necessary, I usually deal with that by myself"

He chuckles. "Can I come in?" he asks then.

"Of course" I answer, motioning for him to sit down. He tells me we are pretty close to Hogwarts by now, and I wonder just how long I've been reading.

"You should get changed into your Hogwarts robes" he suggests. Still, he makes no motion to leave.

"Well, leave me to it then" I encourage him after a minute or two of silence. He raises his eyebrows.

"Are you kicking me out? So sad, I was so looking forward to see you change" he grins.

"Oi! You know me for five minutes and you already want to spy on me changing? What a perv!" I mock reprimand him, a tiny smile twitching the side of my lips. I can't believe it, but I'm actually having fun bantering with him like that.

"Aw, come on, it would be interesting for the Hogwarts Chronicles if I did" he suggests. "We are going to have you on the first page in the next issue"

"An article on me?" I gape at him. "Seriously, you shouldn't…" I start protesting, while fishing in my trunk for my robes.

"You don't want it? Ok, we don't do it then" he agrees. "Leave it to me, baby" he winks at me again, before finally leaving me alone to change.

I look at the door he just left through a moment ago. Was he flirting with me?

--

As we get off the train, I notice a huge person calling out for the first years.

"Firs' years, this way. Firs' years!" he keeps shouting, and his booming voice is easy to hear.

They seem a bit scared by him, to tell the truth, but they group in front of him nonetheless. I guess he is a half-giant by his size, but I could be mistaken.

As I stare at that particular scene, I don't watch where I'm going, so I end up slamming myself against someone else.

Always the klutz, Hermione!

He turns, and after steadying myself I tell him I'm sorry, and that I got distracted.

"No trouble at all. That's Hagrid, if you were wondering" he says, smiling at me and guessing what had caught my eye. "He seems menacing but he's as good as they come. He has a hut on the grounds, and lives there. He's also the teacher for Care of Magical creatures, and the Grounds Keeper" he tells me as we start walking away from the station. I guess he knows the way to the castle so I keep walking with him.

"And I'm Seamus Finnegan, Gryffindor seventh year. You're Hermione Granger, right? The Beauxbatons transfer"

How come everyone knows who I am already?

"Yes, I am" I politely reply. "Sorry for slamming into you like that" I say, embarrassed.

"Hey" a girl says, joining us. "I'm Lavender Brown" she introduces herself, smiling at me, and then looking sideways at Seamus. She moves to walk by his other side, and I can immediately tell she fancies him. Seamus, however, is oblivious to it, and he keeps talking with me all the way to the carriages.

"We use these to get to the castle, while first years use small boats. They get to see the castle from the lake, and believe me it's a gorgeous view" Seamus says as we board one of the carriages. Dean hops in after us, and we start to move.

During the quick trip they tell me more about the school, especially how the four houses have strong rivalries between them, particularly Gryffindor and Slytherin.

"So I hope you don't get sorted there, honey" Seamus jokes, but I can see in his eyes that while his tone was light, he really hopes I won't.

"Aw, come on, Finnegan, don't scare her. There's no way a lovely girl like her will wind up in those smelly and humid dungeons with the snakes" he comments.

I wonder about what he is talking about.

When we get to the castle, Seamus tells me which way to go to join the first years that need to be sorted. I'll have to do it too.

Eventually, McGonagall comes and leads us to the Great Hall. I had seen pictures of it in Hogwarts: A History but in real life the ceiling is even more awesome than I thought. It perfectly mimics the outside sky, and right now it shows a perfectly star lit night.

I look around, and I see some curious faces staring at me. I'm sure they are quite used to seeing an adult witch or wizard amongst the ickle firsties, it happens every year after all, that's why not everyone is looking at me. I thank God for that, since that would have been embarrassing.

I spot Seamus, Lavender, Dean and another girl I don't know on a side of the Gryffindor table. I see that Seamus is keeping a seat free near him. They all meet my gaze and give me the thumbs up, and I nervously smile back.

I sure didn't expect this kind of greeting, I haven't been sorted yet and I already have made three friends. Maybe it won't be as bad as I thought getting acquainted here.

Finally, it is my turn. I walk up to the stool with the hat on it, and put the old cloth on my head. Now I know I'm a witch but some things seem strange even to me. Having a hat talk to you directly into your mind is one of those.

"Mmh, you've got brains. Ravenclaw would suit you very well. But you aren't scared easily either. You can take a challenge when you're presented with one, and you're not going to back down. That's Gryffindor trait, for sure. Where to put you, where to put you…"

I look at my new friends, they are all staring at me expectantly, and even worried I might end up in Slytherin. That's not an option, it seems. Still, Seamus even kept a seat for me. I don't want to let them down.

"Put me in Gryffindor, please" I think.

"You sure? Well, if you are, then…"

"GRYFFINDOR!" the hat shouts, and I see Dean and Seamus break into equal grins as they relax. I grin back and walk to them, taking the seat the Irish offers me.

"Hi Hermione. I'm Parvati" the girl I didn't know introduces herself and I nod.

"Pleased to meet you" I say. Then she flashes her camera at me.

"Parvati! The article's dead, no need to take photos of her" Dean glares at her, taking away the camera.

"No need to get snappy" Parvati pouts, but then looks up at me and smiles again. "So, tell us something about yourself"

I am about to, but then the doors of the Great Hall open again, and a group comes in. I spot the girl I saw in Madam Malkin's, so my curiosity is piqued.

"Who are they?"

"They are the Weasleys" Parvati replies. "The adoptive sons of Arthur Weasley and his wife"

Then Lavender chimes in. "They always are by themselves, because they are all together. I mean, together together" she whispers. "I don't even think it's legal"

"Lav, they aren't really related" Seamus reminds her.

"But they live together!" she objects. "Anyway, the redhead girl in the front is Ginny, and the tall one with the strange earring is her boyfriend Bill. Then there's Fred and George, and finally there's Luna, the blonde girl, who is with Ron, short for Ronald, the one who always looks in pain" she tells me. I take them all in, but then my attention is caught by a movement by the door. Another one entered.

"Who's he?" I ask, as I suddenly meet his green eyes.

"That's Harry Potter, another one of the Weasley family although he chose to keep his surname. His parents were murdered when he was only one, and the Weasleys took him in, that's the story at least. He's absolutely gorgeous" Lavender gushes, then her face falls, "But it seems none of us is good enough for him. Not that I care of course" she says, trying to sound nonchalant about it, but I think she does care, at least a tiny bit. "So, seriously…don't waste your time on him, Hermione" she advices me.

"Wasn't going to" I automatically reply as I follow him with my gaze until he sits with the rest of his family, at the other end of the Gryffindor table.

As I'm about to look away, his eyes find mine again, and I'm mesmerized by his emerald orbs.

-->