Unofficial Portkey Archive

Faithful by gryffindor-girl
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Faithful

gryffindor-girl

Faithful

Part Two

Warnings & Disclaimer - see previous chapter. One more part to come after this to end.

Thanks for reading and especially for the feedback xxx

--------------------------

"Hermione."

His voice penetrated her sleep, and though her dreams had been fraught with him, she knew it was really his voice.

Her eyes flew open, and she stared at the ceiling, waiting. Ron snored soundly beside her; she didn't have to look at him to know he was fast asleep.

"Hermione."

The charm from the mirror captured his voice and delivered it to her ears only. She closed her eyes and enjoyed the sound briefly before pulling back the covers and swinging her legs off the bed and on to the cold floor.

She walked to her wardrobe and fetched out the red bag that she knew housed the mirror. Picking it out, she hurried without looking at it, to the far end of the house.

Finally, in the downstairs bathroom, she turned the mirror to her face.

"Harry."

His face appeared through the grey mist and she fought the leap in her throat.

"Are you okay?"

He nodded but sat silent, watching her.

She spoke again.

"I dreamt about you."

He closed his eyes, but a small smile formed on his lips.

"I dreamt about you too."

She smiled then, and touched his face. Then she frowned.

"I'm sorry. At Bill and Fleur's, I should've…" She closed her eyes to the tears springing to life. "I should've stayed away."

Harry shook his head.

"This isn't your fault. We should've talked about it, I…" He ran a hand through his hair. "We should still talk about it."

Hermione stared at him, still touching the mirror.

"I don't think we need to."

He nodded and softly smiled again, reaching his fingertips to touch hers.

A tear escaped down her cheek and he frowned.

"Please don't cry."

"I don't know what to do. There's nothing we can do."

………………………………………………..

"Harry?"

"Sorry?"

"Were you listening?"

"Ah yeah. Something about Diagon Alley…."

"Yes, tomorrow. Can you do it?"

"Uh… I have a briefing in the morning so I'm not sure what the rest of my day will look like."

"Oh." Ginny held out a cup of tea to him on the couch. "Well, I guess not then." She stood there, hanging her head and Harry fought not to roll his eyes.

"Listen, I'll see okay? I'll floo you and let you know."

She grinned at him and he smiled weakly back.

"Great. Mum might come and meet us too."

"Oh, joy." Harry mumbled the last as Ginny retreated to the kitchen again.

She called out from the other room. "What's that?"

"I said …a toy…broomstick. I wanna get Teddy a toy broomstick for his next birthday."

Ginny poked her head around the door and frowned. "Okay…"

Harry rubbed his face with his hands. "I've just gotta look over some case files okay?"

"Now?"

"I won't be long."

He got up and walked to the study, closing the door behind him and leaning against it. He dropped his head back and closed his eyes. In the space of twenty four hours, he felt like the bottom had dropped out of his life. He was trying to ignore it but he couldn't dismiss the sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach and what it was about. Or more, who it was about.

His eyes caught a picture of Ron, Hermione, Ginny and himself on top of a cabinet. He and Hermione were on opposite ends with Ron and Ginny in the middle.

How long had it been like that? He really hadn't seen or truly spoken with Hermione by himself since…well since they traveled together on the Horcrux hunt. Since she stayed with him when Ron left. Since she had stood with him at his parents' graveside.

Had he really taken her for granted all this time? Yesterday, when she'd given him the mirrors, it seemed like a light had turned on. Only Hermione would think of such a thoughtful gift. For him. She knew him better than anyone.

Was that why, over the last few years, he'd felt like he was just going through the motions? He loved being an Auror, but he'd felt like there was something missing, something more. Had it been talking with Hermione? Like he used to - at school.

A nagging thought assaulted him. Last night. It had been… strange. And thrilling. It was like he'd never seen Hermione - really seen her, until yesterday. Her lips…he'd been trying not to think about it but…how had he never noticed them before? Full and beautiful…he could still remember the feel of them under his thumb.

He opened his eyes again. He hadn't asked her how her lip was. His stomach gave a spontaneous flip as he thought of the mirrors again. He could call and ask her. That was ok wasn't it? If Ginny came in and asked what they were talking about he could easily tell her. He shook his head slightly at his justifications.

He turned and placed a silencing charm on the door and then went to his work bag. Pulling out the small square mirror he sat in his chair, glanced at the door again and locked it.

Softly he spoke her name.

"Hermione."

…………………………………………………

"Harry!"

"Hi, Neville."

He smiled as Neville came towards his table at the Three Broomsticks. Using his wand, he pulled out a seat for his old friend. They clasped hands and patted each other on the back before sitting down again.

"Drinking by yourself? Auror life must be stressful…"

"Not as stressful as controlling all those little rugrats, Professor."

"Touche," laughed Neville. "But really - nothing more siniste, is it? I heard you've had a falling out with Ron?"

Harry raised his eyebrows at Neville above the lip of his glass. "You did?"

"Yeah! You know Hogwarts and gossip! Spreads faster than Hungarian Wild Ivy!"

Harry laughed at his analogy and placed his glass down carefully. "So what did you hear?"

"That you had a fist fight with Ron in the lobby of the Ministry and that it was because you're cheating on Ginny with Lavender Brown."

Harry's eyes widened. "Well. That's impressively….wrong."

Neville nodded knowingly. "Thought as much. But I know something's up, Harry. I saw Hermione the other night. She seemed quite troubled."

Harry swirled his glass and looked into the resulting whirlpool, avoiding Neville's gaze.

"You don't have to tell me anything. But she had the same reaction when I spoke about you."

He glanced up at Neville again. He trusted him implicitly, and valued his opinion. He decided to drop all pretence.

"So what's your professional assessment then, Professor? How do I get myself out this mess?"

Neville smiled and took another long drink.

"How would I know. I've always been hopeless with girls. Hannah was the one that approached me." Harry laughed. "But I do know one thing.

"I don't think we're given hearts not to follow them."

Harry made a short cynical sound. "You make it sound so easy."

"Nothing's easy, mate. You and I both know that. But I always like to believe that if you're honest with yourself and others, it'll all kinda work out."

Harry laughed again, but there was no humor in it this time.

"I'd love nothing more than for that to be true."

………………………………………………………

"Ron!"

"Well he is still a prat. I almost wish he hadn't come back to the family."

Hermione rolled her eyes.

"Ron you don't mean that."

He grabbed her around the waist. "Come here."

She stumbled into him, frowning. "What?"

"I just wanna apparate with you. That okay?"

"Oh. Uh yeah, sure."

They turned together, just outside the front door of the Burrow and arrived a moment later inside their flat.

Standing still with their arms around each other, Ron looked down at Hermione and bent to kiss her. She had an immediate and worrying reaction to pull away; quelling it hastily she returned his kiss. She pulled back and looked at him.

"I've got some work to do."

"Ah. Well that's a shame."

"Mmm."

"I'm sorry."

She fought a swell of irritation, and an impulse to pull out of his arms. "What for?" she said flatly.

"Last night. Acting all jealous. It was stupid."

"Yes, it was bloody stupid."

"No, don't hold back Hermione, tell me what you really think."

"Well it was, Ron. And you, ignoring Harry today. On his birthday."

"It wasn't his birthday TODAY."

"You know what I mean."

"Alright. I'll talk to him tomorrow."

"Good."

He bent to kiss her neck. "Are you sure you have to work?"

She pulled away delicately. "I'm sure. I'll be back soon."

"Okay. I'll be waiting."

She managed a weak smile and turned swiftly on the spot. Arriving in her office she collapsed into her favourite squashy armchair, turning on the reading lamp.

What the hell was wrong with her? Suddenly, she felt stone cold around Ron and, well… her every sense was crazily heightened around….Harry. She rubbed her temples, frowning. She'd always felt strongly for him, but something had changed between them, something as yet indescribable. Since she'd started working on the mirrors.

"Hermione."

And now she was hearing things. Harry's voice, saying her name. It was a strong hallucination, his voice still echoed in her head. She thought briefly how she loved the sound of his voice. And how much she had…missed it.

"Hermione."

She sat up straight, hearing it again. She wasn't imagining it this time. Then her hand flew to her mouth. The mirror! Her heart leapt unexpectedly as she grabbed her bag to rummage through it.

She found the mirror and held it up to her face, peering into the swirling grey mist.

"Harry?"

His face came into focus and she smiled.

"Hi."

……………………………………………….

"Ginny!"

"Hi, Fleur."

The two women embraced each other, Fleur kissing Ginny on both cheeks before moving on to Harry. He smiled as she fussed over him and then showed them in, through to the outdoor area where Arthur and Bill were standing around the barbeque. Harry joined them after saying hello to Molly who ushered Ginny closer to look at some magazines she was leafing through. Harry caught a glimpse of white dresses and tiara's on the shiny pages before he hurried away to join the men.

Bill chuckled as he handed Harry a beer.

"Bit worried about that reading material Harry?"

Harry raised his eyebrows and took a deep swallow from the cold bottle.

Voices from inside signaled another arrival and Harry caught sight of Hermione, her hair loose and hanging over her bare shoulders. He averted his eyes back to the cooking steaks again, trying to quell the feelings that had risen at the sight of her.

"Hi, gorgeous." Bill put his utensils down to wrap Hermione in a big hug. She laughed and caught sight of Harry, her smile faltering for a moment before she plastered it back on again.

"Hi, Harry."

She went up on tip toes to touch his cheek with a kiss and he responded, conscious that his hand accidentally brushed her hip as he leant down to her. Once they'd said a respectable hello, she moved past him to greet Arthur but not before he noticed how good she smelt.

Ron was in front of him then and Harry just looked at him, waiting for him to make the first move. Ron's serious face relaxed into a grin and he grabbed Harry and clapped him on the back.

"What can I say, mate. Sorry bout the other day. You know my stupid jealous streak. I'm a tosser."

He released Harry and stepped back to look at him. "We okay then?"

Harry forced a smile and nodded. "Yeah, forget about it." He fought down a wave of irritation as Ron slapped him on the back once more and moved to retrieve a beer from the ice bin at Bill's feet.

Once the rest of the family arrived, they all sat to eat at a table Fleur had set up outside. Candles burned and a hush descended as Arthur stood up to make a toast.

"To our Fred, on this day, the anniversary of your brave fight at Hogwarts. There's not a day goes by that we don't miss you, son. Thank you for yours and our other beloved friends sacrifice, so that we can live safe and free."

He wiped a tear and continued, with a comforting arm around Molly. "And how wonderful it is to get together like this, to all sleep under the same roof for a few days. As much as it's a time of sadness, it's a time of celebration for the fact that we are all still here together."

"To family."

The group echoed his sentiment and Harry drank deeply from his glass. He was starting to feel a bit unsteady from the amount of alcohol he'd been knocking back and he was happy for the food.

He'd felt a terrible guilt gnawing at him all night…but for what? All he'd been doing is talking with Hermione. Wasn't he allowed to do that? She was his other best friend and hell; she'd saved his life how many times. Why would he not be able to talk to her?

Because you talk to her almost every night. Because of some of the things you say to each other that you know cross a line. Because you can barely wait till Ginny goes to sleep so you can. And the fact that you even wait till Ginny sleeps to do it.

At that moment, Ginny leaned into his arm and squeezed it and he tried to muster a smile. Over her head he noticed Hermione glance over their way and quickly avert her eyes again.

Because you're far too conscious of where she is in the room. And you wish you were sitting next to her. And especially because, you're starting to think she might just feel the same.

That's it, he thought. I've gotta stop this now. Ginny doesn't deserve this. After this trip I'll tell Hermione we have to stop talking on the mirrors.

An overwhelming sadness seemed to permeate him for the rest of the night and he was glad it was a fairly somber occasion so he didn't have to throw up any excuses for it. He steadfastly avoided Hermione, to the point of being rude. He saw her brow crease in confusion a few times and a stab of regret ran through him but he still stayed away, choosing instead to get stupendously drunk with Ron into the small hours of the morning.

The next few days he repeated the pattern until the night they were to leave. Getting up for a drink of water he leaned over the sink, looking out the window into the night.

And he felt her before he heard her speak.

"Harry."

Closing his eyes he stayed stock still until he had to turn at her next words.

"Please talk to me."

………………………………………………………….

"Harry?"

"Mmm?"

"How long have we been talking now?"

"About…hang on…two hours."

"Whoa."

"Yeah."

Harry leant the mirror up against the photo frame.

"Ginny must've gone to sleep."

"And Ron I guess. Otherwise he would've flooed me."

"I can't believe he didn't notice your lip. You can still see it if you look closely."

"Yeah… I thought the Essence of Dittany would work but the swelling is still there."

"But your lips are quite full anyway."

"What?"

"Well I… I just actually noticed. Yesterday."

"Oh."

Silence. Hermione shifted in her chair and Harry busied himself for a moment, arranging stuff on his desk.

"Hermione…I'm really sorry."

"What for?"

"For always…ignoring you. Taking you for granted. I think sometimes I didn't want to hear the truth you would always tell me. I wanted someone to just tell me what I wanted to hear. But I've…I have missed you."

He'd said the whole speech looking off into the distance. When he finally looked back at Hermione, she was leaning on her hand, her head tilted and her hair falling over most of her face. He thought he could see her eyes glistening a bit but he looked away and waited.

"I've missed you too. I…I loved spending time with you…last night."

There was a long silence where the memory of the bus shelter hung between them until Harry grinned. "Yeah, me head butting you must've been a highlight."

Hermione giggled. "Just hanging out with you. It was actually the first time we've ever hung out without… without Voldemort stuff or other dramas hanging over us."

"I guess it was, huh?"

"And talking to you tonight…about nothing stuff. It's been really nice."

Harry was watching her speak. Like many times over the last few hours, he'd become transfixed with her mouth again. He blinked and shook his head a little.

"It has."

She sighed and moved position again, lying cradled in her armchair with her legs over one armrest and her head lying back over the other. She held the mirror up to the ceiling to look at it.

"I guess we better go huh."

Harry watched her, his legs up on the desk and his arms folded over his chest.

"Yeah. I suppose so."

"No, you hang up."

Harry laughed - she was right, they were behaving like a couple of teenagers on a telephone.

"No you hang up," he replied.

She laughed too. "Okay."

"Right."

"Harry?"

"Yeah?"

"Call you tomorrow?"

"You're on."

She smiled. "Tomorrow night?"

"Ten thirty."

"Okay."

"Goodnight then."

"Goodnight."

She brought her wand up and tapped the mirror, watching as his face disappeared behind clouds of grey mist. Once it was a mirror again, she laid it on her chest and closed her eyes, covering her face with both hands.

He watched as her image receded and rubbed his hands over his face and into his hair. Kicking back off the desk he rocked back in the swivel chair, his arms behind his head and his eyes on the ceiling.

"Shit."

He stood up abruptly, placed the mirror back in his work bag and crept out into the dark hallway towards his and Ginny's bedroom.

……………………………………………..

"Ron."

Ron stepped forward to receive his briefing from Minerva McGonagall. She regarded him over her glasses in the way that made them all feel like they were back in Hogwarts.

"It may seem like a boring task to you Ron, but it's very important to keep a close watch on this muggle. I want to know everything he does. No slacking off, no quick stops at the pub."

Ron looked wounded, his mouth forming an `O'. The corners of Minerva's mouth began to tug and she waved him off, dismissing him.

"Harry."

Harry put his hand out to receive the black and gold file. Minerva studied him carefully and he felt uncomfortable under her scrutiny. Minerva had not long retired from Hogwarts to work as an advisor in the Auror department, along with various other consultancy roles within the Ministry. All of the Aurors, and workers from other departments - including Hermione, Harry knew - still called her Professor. It was habit, and as she didn't correct anyone, it had just become the norm.

"Professor."

"I'm sending you to New Zealand."

"Wha…?" Ron stepped forward, his eyes wide. Minerva held up a hand to silence him.

"There's a rogue pocket of Dementors down there. As you're the Department's - and perhaps the Ministry's - expert on the Patronus charm, I'm sending you down to work with the Australasian Ministry to eradicate them. It may take a few weeks."

Harry just nodded.

"That's it then. Any further questions come and see me."

The group of Aurors began to disperse and Ron punched Harry on the arm.

"You lucky dog. Overseas assignment. You suck."

Harry smiled, despite the cold knot in his stomach. "Tell Ginny that."

Ron raised his eyebrows. "Oh yeah. You're in the shit."

"Tell me about it."

Ron laughed and gestured to the door. "Lunch?"

Harry waved him on. "Go on, I'll catch up. Better get some more details."

Ron nodded and ran to catch up with Ernie.

"Professor?"

Minerva didn't look up from the papers she was reading.

"Yes, Potter?"

"Do you really think I'm the best for this job?"

She regarded him over her glasses. "Of course. Otherwise, I wouldn't have assigned it to you." He didn't reply and she set aside her paper to give him her full attention. "Being an Auror means you don't get to pick and choose where and when you work."

"I realize that. It's just…"

"And I was hoping you'd be able to check on Miss Granger for me while you're down there."

Harry looked immediately like he'd been hit with a Stupefy curse. "Hermione?"

"Yes. I'm worried about her. She's the best Officer we have in Magical Law and she's giving me the impression that she wants to settle permanently in Australia."

Harry stammered and tried to form a reply. "I…well…maybe she does?"

"Maybe. But I feel like something's amiss there. She's not herself."

Harry stood, unable to speak.

"Much like yourself come to think of it, Potter. Is everything okay?"

"Me? Wha…of course."

"How very convincing."

He smiled then, realizing in that moment just how well Minerva knew him. She came around her desk to sit on it, patting the space next to her. He turned and sat.

"I know something is going on. Far be it from me to interfere in your life Harry, but with Albus gone…well, I just want to look out for you. You deserve happiness Harry. More than anyone."

He stared at the ground. "I'm not sure about that."

"I am. And you seem lost. I'm not judging you, but I know it's your way to keep everyone else happy - mostly before yourself." She was watching him closely though he refused to return her stare.

"Are you going to marry her then? Ginevra Weasley?"

That made him look. Her stern face was relaxed, and he realised she had his best interests at heart. So he answered.

"I think it's for the best."

She laughed then, taking him aback.

"My dear boy, don't you realise? You don't just marry a person you can live with."

She stood then and gathered her papers, before placing a hand on his shoulder.

"You marry the person you can't live without."

……………………………………………………………

"Hermione."

"Mmmm?"

"Are you falling asleep?"

"A little."

"I better let you go."

"No… can't we just both…can't you just keep talking till I sleep?"

He laughed softly, watching her with his chin on his forearms while she rested her cheek on hers, her eyes most definitely closed now.

"Hey, Harry."

"Mmm?"

"Do you know about this weekend?"

He paused, a knot of unease forming in his stomach at the mere mention of it. "Yeah. I'm wondering if I should go."

She tilted her head up at that, her eyes wide open now. "What do you mean? You have to come! It's for Fred and… well you just have to come!"

He laughed again, recognizing the bossy Hermione he knew from school.

"I know. I just…I'm a bit…"

"What?"

He ran his fingers through his hair.

"We've spoken every night this week. Almost every night since you gave me these mirrors."

"Mmm." Her face was resting on her forearms again, only her eyes visible as she peeked up at him.

"Well…don't you think…I mean, I'm starting to feel…"

"Wait - shhh."

"Ron?" he whispered.

She nodded, her head still turned to the door. Turning back to him she spoke hurriedly.

"I better go."

He nodded. "Okay."

She stopped for a moment, seemingly torn and her eyes burned at him. Her fingers reached out unconsciously to touch the mirror and his were drawn to hers too.

"I'll see you on the weekend."

"Go."

She nodded and he watched her tap the mirror before laying his forehead on the desk and closing his eyes. He spoke then, to himself.

"I'll see you then."

…………………………………………………

"Harry…"

Silence.

"Harry?"

He looked up at Ginny across the table. There were two candles burning between them, casting a romantic light on the beautiful food she'd prepared. Beautiful but tasteless to him tonight - every mouthful was a chore to swallow. He tried to smile at her again.

"Mmm?"

"You're miles away."

"Sorry."

"So what did you think?

"Of?"

Ginny looked hurt and he struggled to regain the thread of the conversation again.

"Of the rings!"

A familiar cold chill settled over him.

"Uh, yeah they were fine…"

"Fine."

He shrugged, not liking the direction in which the conversation was travelling. He decided to change the subject.

"So I got a new assignment today. McGonagall's sending me to New Zealand."

"WHAT??!!"

Mentally he slapped himself. Not the best subject to change to.

"I tried to get her to reassign it…"

"Why can't Ron go?"

"Well he wanted to but…"

"But you wouldn't let him!"

"Would you let me speak??"

Facing off they glared at each other, both slightly raised out of their chairs.

Then after a moment, Harry's frown relaxed; his face softening as he fell back into his seat. Ginny watched him, incredulous; his reaction seemed to enrage her more and she stood up, planting her fists on the table.

"Don't pretend that you don't want to go away! You can't wait to get away from me!"

Harry just shook his head, pushing a hand through his hair.

Ginny swiped her arm across the table, pushing the glassware over and sending the candles flying off.

Harry didn't flinch but met Ginny's eyes as she stared daggers at him, her angry breath the only sound as the wax slid silently down the dining room wall.

She broke the silence, speaking in a dangerously controlled tone.

"And I'm supposed to trust you for however many months you'll be all those miles away with god knows how many single and desperate witches?"

Finally he spoke.

"Yes. That's the idea Ginny. You're supposed to trust me. You never have."

She glared at him, her brown eyes sparking. "Well there you go then. Here's your out." She flourished a hand above her head. "Go permanently then."

Harry watched her quietly, his eyes sad.

"Maybe I should."

A small jolt ran noticeably through Ginny's body and she blinked a few times before answering.

"If that's what you want." Her voice wavered but she pressed her lips firmly together as she watched him stand.

"I think… Ginny."

She was moving backwards, away from him now, holding her hands up.

"No you… don't talk about it now. Just… talk to me when you get back."

He held a hand out to her but she continued to back away.

"We'll talk about it when you get back."

…………………………………………………………….

Hermione?"

"Is everything okay love?"

Hermione closed her eyes and pressed the phone receiver tight against her cheek, trying desperately to stop the tears falling.

"I'm fine Mum. Just …a little tired."

Tired of the way her life had turned upside down in the space of a few weeks. Had it really only been a matter of weeks that she'd given Harry those mirrors? It felt like a lifetime had passed since then, or maybe that was because she felt like a different person altogether.

She looked down at the paper in her hands.

Did she wish she didn't confront him now? Hermione stared at the two mirrors in front of her and a single tear finally escaped to trail down her cheek. Maybe, yes.

But then he wouldn't have nearly kissed her, on the cliff top outside the cottage, after following her outside. They had stopped themselves, just. But she had felt more alive in that moment than… well than she ever had before.

And after they spoke on the mirrors the next two days after, she had dared to think that maybe he felt the same as her.

But now this.

They'd spoken the night they'd got back from Shell Cottage and again the next day. Then the day after she'd cried when they were speaking in hushed voices in her downstairs bathroom, she'd received a package, with the note.

Dear Hermione,

Please believe me when I say this is so hard to do. I can't explain to you how I've felt over the last few weeks, it's been like a dream for me and I only wish it could come true.

But I think we both know that it can't. I've been over this a thousand times in my head, and I can't see a way that we can get around this without causing so much hurt to everyone, and also each other.

You're worth so much more than that. I won't do that to you, I won't make you give up a happy life for my own selfish reasons.

And so that's why I have to give this back. I know it might be unrealistic but I can't be near you Hermione. It's tearing me apart.

Please remember that, I love you. I always will.

Harry.

Now as she folded the note again and placed it carefully between the two mirrors, she wiped her eyes, determined to stop shedding tears. It was for the best. Whatever had been happening between her and Harry had been a bad thing, something that had spiraled out of control, fuelled by her juvenile imaginings.

But either way, she'd known that it spelt the end for her and Ron. With a flick of her wand, she addressed a memo to Ron straight away, asking to meet him for dinner that night.

Adjusting the phone receiver again she spoke.

"Mum?"

"Yes darling."

"Can I come home?"

…………………………………………………

"Ginny."

"Weasley?"

"Yeah."

"Oh yeah, yeah of course. The Weasleys. We've heard of them, even over here. You, them and the Granger girl - He… Hemi…"

"Hermione."

"Yeah that's it. Strange name. But brilliant witch, I hear."

Harry smiled patiently and nodded.

"Ah so where is Auror Donolan? I thought he was meeting us here?"

"Oh yeah he is, he's just always a bit …waylaid. Probably good surf on the west coast."

Harry raised his eyebrows but nodded. The sooner he got this meeting over with the better.

Suddenly a tall wizard with long dreadlocks and dark skin came in, dressed casually in a t shirt and shorts, wearing no shoes. He grinned at Harry and then jumped up to sit on the desk at the front of the room.

"Alright then Aurors. I see we're in the presence of wizarding royalty!"

Harry bent his head, scratching absently at his hair.

"Na, sorry bro. Kia ora, welcome." He stepped forward and shook Harry's hand. "I'm Matt, and these are my team."

Harry nodded and bobbed his head at the dozen or so Kiwi Aurors in the small room.

"So, the Dementors."

Matt turned to a white board and with no visible pen or wand, began making markings on the white expanse.

"See, we hear they're concentrated on the West Coast of the South Island. It's been hard to detect them because the weather's always crappy down there…but we've finally zeroed in on a cove near Greymouth. So that-" he tapped on the whiteboard with his index finger - "Is where we're headed in the morning."

He handed out some papers and answered a few questions then rounded it up.

"5am, meet here."

The group started to disperse and Harry watched them go as Matt moved over to him.

"So, Harry, thanks for coming mate."

Harry nodded and followed Matt's gesture as he led them out the door. He accepted Matt's invite to discuss tactics for the next day at a pub up the road, and Matt was impressed with Harry's strategy for a multi faceted Patronus attack. Harry found he liked the easy going Auror and after a few beers he looked out at the sea view and was actually quite happy he'd come.

"Oh and there's one more thing we were hoping you'd help us with too."

Harry arched an eyebrow at him. "Which is…?"

Matt grinned. "We've got a dark wizard near Greymouth that we need to help transport back to Australia. He's pretty nasty, so we figure it's best for there to be as many good Aurors on hand as possible."

Harry nodded and shrugged. It didn't make much difference to him.

"Great. The Aussie Ministry is only sending one of their guys - or girl in fact. She's supposed to be good tho - and you know her I think?"

A small coil of unease started to form in Harry's stomach as Matt looked down at his watch then up at the door.

"Right on time."

Harry turned slowly to the door but he already knew who he'd see there.

"Hermione!" Matt waved out. "Over here!"

----------------end of part two

-->