Unofficial Portkey Archive

Ten Kisses by GoonerJim
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Ten Kisses

GoonerJim

A/N - Thanks for the feedback, it's always welcome! I'm glad the initial reaction has been positive; I hope that holds up now that I move into the story proper. Please let me know what you think.

* * * * *

As soon as Harry returned to the Common Room earlier in the evening and saw Hermione scribbling away feverishly in her notepad, he decided that he had to know whatever secret agenda lay inside.

Thirty minutes, four accomplices and a ridiculous amount of planning later, Harry darted into his dorm room, rose-colored notebook in hand. Breathing heavily from the mixture of action and excitement (and resolving to get a life sometime soon), Harry pulled open the front cover.

Scrawled across the first page was something Harry did not expect…and yet strangely saw coming.

Better luck next time, Harry

H x

"Find anything interesting?" A smug little voice said from the shadows.

Harry turned around to face the smug look on Hermione's face with a grimace, "I can't have been that obvious."

Hermione grinned, "You weren't, Neville was."

"He had one job to do…"

"Not that yours was exactly a master plan, Harry. Honestly, I've seen better constructed…"

"Don't tell me this was a decoy notebook?"

"…Maybe."

"Now that is sad."

"No sadder than snooping through a girl's privacy, Harry."

"Fine…"

"Actually, I think perverted might be a better…"

"I said fine!" Harry exclaimed, "No more snooping around, I get it."

Hermione sat down on the edge of Harry's bed, beaming like the proverbial Cheshire cat, "I do like that you're putting this much effort into Valentine's Day."

Harry plumped down onto Ron's bed, facing her, "I'm not the only one. What are you planning?"

Hermione looked away, still smiling, "I fear it'll be a great letdown after all this build-up."

Harry leaned forward, "Come on, I'm interested."

Hermione searched his eyes for sincerity, then…

Ron walked in, "Alright guys?"

Harry shook his head, "Wotcha, Ron."

As if Ron suddenly realized Hermione was there, he quickly turned to Harry, "Oh yeah, I need to talk to you about the thing…"

"I think the cat's out of the bag on that one."

"You mean…"

"Yeah."

"Neville had one job to do!"

"Ron, I am sitting here." Hermione said.

"How can you get in here, anyway?"

"I'm a girl, we're trustworthy."

"Yeah, apart from when it's your time of…"

Hermione leapt up and put a finger to Ron's lips, "I strongly urge you to think about finishing that sentence, Ronald!"

The look of terror on Ron's face spoke volumes as Hermione withdrew her finger. With a traumatized expression he fell onto Neville's bed.

"So…" Harry prompted.

"Mm?" Hermione said.

"What have you got planned?"

Ron sat up, "Are we talking about Valentine's…?"

"Can you shut up for a minute?!" Harry shot across the room at him.

"Sorry…jeez…"

"Honestly Harry, it's no big deal."

"I want to be able to sleep tonight…"

Hermione smirked, "So I keep you up at night, do I?"

"…We keep drifting away from the point here."

"Look, Harry, it's nothing really. I'm just trying to spread a bit of Valentine's Day romance, so me and the seventh-year Gryffindors are organizing a series of kissing booths throughout the castle."

"…Kissing booths?"

"Yes, it's a relatively simple idea. Classic, straightforward, encourages student participation to a degree which…"

"That was the big, complicated plan?"

"You'd be surprised the level of organization involved, actually."

"Yeah, you need a desk and a chair!"

"Not to mention a jar for the money, Harry." Hermione teased.

"So, you're all gonna be…" Ron said, stumbling over his words.

"Selling kisses, that's right," Hermione said, "It's more than just a popularity contest, before you ask. We've all nominated a charity that our takings will be donated to, and the winner is the one who raises the most money."

"What does the winner get?" Harry asked.

"Besides the self-satisfaction that they've made a real and lasting contribution to…"

"Yeah, besides that."

"Tickets to a Quidditch match, concert or poetry recital of your choice."

"Poetry recital?" Ron asked.

"I suppose that was a bit of a long shot," Hermione admitted.

"You said throughout the castle?" Harry said.

"I've identified the most appropriate locations on the grounds, but I guess part of the fun will be finding us." Hermione said, grinning.

"I can just see that now," Ron said, "Oh, fancy seeing you here. Well, since it's Valentine's Day…"

Hermione laughed, "Maybe. But it would be pretty intimidating going to find a girl you secretly quite fancy if you know where she is, wouldn't it?"

Ron looked away quickly, "…Fair point."

"And it's reasonably economical, too. A knut for a peck on the cheek, a sickle for a peck on the lips, and a Galleon for a full-on snog."

"…What does five Galleons get you?" Ron asked.

"A one-way trip to hell for thinking like that, Ronald."

"What's your charity?" Harry asked.

Hermione turned to Harry with excitement in her eyes, "It's a terrific new elf rights charity that…"

Ron flopped down on the pillows, "Good thing I'm already in bed."

Hermione ignored him, "…that seeks to raise awareness and stage elf sponsorships and fundraisers on a national level, maybe even one day expand their operations to encompass…"

Harry had totally switched off.

Hermione smiled apologetically, "It's a really good cause, one I really want to do this for."

She stood up to leave, "Well, I'm sure word will get around in a day or two, but if you two wouldn't mind…"

"Sure." Harry said.

Ron stared at him in disbelief. Hermione gave him a smile as she headed out.

Ron shook his head, "After all that stuff you said about not wanting to get involved..."

"Yeah," Harry said, "but, I guess it is a good cause. And…you know…excuse me for a sec."

He bolted for the door.

* * * * *

"Hermione?"

Harry called out down the corridor, making his best friend turn around with a surprised smile, "Well, you are keen, Harry."

"I just wanted to ask…are you sure about this?"

Hermione shook her head, "What do you mean?"

Harry shrugged, "Well, it's just not very like you, is it?"

"I know," Hermione said, "but I don't want to be remembered here as someone who didn't let her hair down at least once in a while. It's just a bit of fun."

Harry nodded.

"What?" Hermione said, after a brief pause.

"I just know how boys think," Harry said, "and, I'd just rather them not get the idea in their heads that you're, you know…"

"…Looking for a snog on Valentine's Day?"

"Well, yeah."

"It is kind of the point of what we're doing, Harry. And I'm not the only one, remember. I'm doing this out of vanity, I'm doing this to raise money for charity, and to…"

"To raise Valentine's Day spirit, I know."

"Then why do you have a problem?"

Harry looked into her eyes, and just let out a sigh, "Sorry. I just don't want you to get hurt."

Hermione's expression softened. She touched a hand to Harry's cheek, "You are sweet…in a misguided way. I'll be fine, Harry, you don't need to worry about me."

"I know," Harry grinned, "I just want to."

Hermione smiled, and leaned in to peck Harry on the cheek before she turned and walked away.

-->