Unofficial Portkey Archive

Ten Kisses by GoonerJim
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Ten Kisses

GoonerJim

A/N - Once again, thank you one and all for the reviews! I'm glad that people are having fun reading it, just as I am writing it. One thing I will say at this stage, is that I have intentionally written Harry as being confused and bewildered, and gradually coming to terms with what's going. Firstly, it generates a lot of the comedy, and secondly this allows for him to grow as a character. Still, him being caught up in Hermione's jinx-gone-wrong and playing second fiddle I think makes a nice change, as normally he is the instigator, being proactive rather than reactive. But at the end of the day this is meant to be funny, upbeat and banter-y; maybe a little bit smarter than your average teen-fic, but that's just how I like to write. Enjoy!

Not at all unpredictably, Harry struggled to sleep that night. He pretended to be when the others started coming back; especially Ron. That was a talk he was looking forward to…

He was used to being the subject of attention and scrutiny, polarizing in opinion and prone to being the subject of gossip and speculation. But not over something like this…this was too…common? No, that's not it…

I wouldn't worry about it, Harry…it was only every single person in the school that saw it, no one else will bring it up…except them, maybe their families, the people their families work with, the bloke they meet down the pub…

I'm screwed.

For some reason, Harry preferred it when the wizarding community was discussing his life-or-death prospects, and not his love life. It was just something too…personal (there you go, that's the word) to him, especially when it involved Hermione, the girl he cared about most in the world. He didn't want everyone thinking she was his girlfriend…

Well why not, what's so bad about that?

Harry imagined himself saying something to the effect of `Because she's my best friend - I rely on her. She's saved my life so many times, been through so much with me…'

Would you rather be with someone who *didn't* do everything for you and care about you as much?

`You're not helping me very much.'

Harry, you can't pick who you fall for…

`I'm not falling for her!'

Then why are you up at three in the morning playing out this subconscious back-and-forth on the subject?

Stopping short of responding out-loud, Harry tried once again to sleep.

He dreamt of…Hermione, not at all helpfully. She was kissing him, and it felt just as it did before. Except when Harry opened his eyes, he was in a bedroom…and lying down…with her on top of him…

Harry's eyes burst open. Where the hell did he get that visual from?

He got up and headed for the bathroom. Apparently a cold shower was the thing to do in times like this…

* * * * *

The good news was that it was still only Sunday; Harry didn't have to get downstairs for breakfast at a certain time. The bad news was that he still needed to eat something, as Ron pointed out. The others had already left the dorm by the time Harry woke up again.

Harry kept holding his breath as he got dressed, waiting for Ron to go off on a tangent, demanding to know every little detail, maybe feeling hurt or betrayed or left out. Dear Merlin, please don't let it come to blows…

"So," Ron said, a confused look on his face, "why did Hermione kiss you, anyway?"

That's it?!

Harry did his best to explain everything on the way down to the hall. It felt good to be able to discuss it with someone else - anything was better than dealing with his own head at this point. Maybe Ron's usual straight-forward, common sense reasoning would give Harry that vital nugget of advice or knowledge that would make everything fall into place…

"Wow…yeah, I'd say you're pretty buggered, mate."

"Cheers, Ron." Harry said, just as they walked through the open main doors.

By that time the hall was maybe half-full at best - but that didn't stop nearly everyone from looking at Harry, with a look of either smugness or excitement or intense interest, waiting for the merest scrap of a reaction to tell their friends about.

Ron turned his head to talk quietly into Harry's ear, "…Is it me, mate? Have I got something on my face?"

"Pretty sure they're looking at me, Ron."

"Oh."

Harry felt the eyes upon him like a heatwave as he pulled up a bench.

Ten minutes of near silent eating followed (as silent as Ron could manage, anyway) before Harry couldn't bear not bringing it up any more…

"So…what do you think?" He asked.

Ron looked up, "About what?"

"Are you really that thick?"

"No," Ron said, "I just…well, don't really know what to say. It's not everyday your two best friends find out they like each other like…"

"Ron, I'm under a curse here."

"So, you're not doing this out of choice?"

"No! It's either that, or…"

"…Or what?" Ron asked.

"I dunno," Harry said, "I never found out what I'd be cursed with."

"Might be just a headache…"

"You think Hermione would go for something that trivial?"

"Why would she curse a jar for money, anyway?"

"I told you, to stop fraud," Harry said, "Typical Hermione, working out every last detail…"

"You don't think that's going a bit overboard?"

"Of course I do!" Harry nearly shouted, "I think this whole thing is overboard."

"Well, you gave her the money."

"I know," Harry said, "And I know that I want to be mad at her, but really I can only be mad at me. I got myself into this mess…"

Ron leaned forward, "The thing I don't get is…is this such a mess?"

"What do you mean?" Not you as well…

"What's the problem with people thinking you and Hermione going out?"

"Ron…"

"For that matter, what's the problem with you and Hermione actually going out?"

Harry studied Ron's face carefully, looking for anything denoting sarcasm…nothing, "Really?"

"Yeah, really."

"From you of all people…"

"What does that mean?"

Harry shook his head, "I thought if anyone would have a problem with that, it'd be you."

"…Why?"

Harry leaned forward, "Are you telling me…you don't…you know…"

Ron's eyebrows shot up, "…What?"

"You don't…"

"…Fancy Hermione?" Ron asked.

Harry nodded, waiting on Ron's next words with bated breath.

He watched him mull it over, for what seemed like an eternity…

"…Nah."

Right, well that's…hang on.

"You don't?"

Ron shrugged, "Nope."

"Are you sure? I mean…"

"Did you think I did?" Ron asked, looking shocked.

"…Oh, this is going well…"

"Harry, we're just too different," Ron said, "I mean, maybe, in another…well, another universe or something. But no, she's…well, she's Hermione."

"Oh…okay," Harry said.

Ron had apparently finished eating, since he stood up, "I know you have to go through this thing, and you don't wanna tempt the wrath of the whatever from high atop the thing, but…did she have to kiss you in front of everyone?"

Harry thought about that, and shook his head, "No…and I'm pretty pissed off about that."

Ron shrugged, "Women."

As he turned and walked off, Harry collated everything new Ron had brought to the proverbial (and literal) table.

Hermione's a girl…girls are insane…and until I figure out what I want from this, I'm still screwed.

* * * * *

After breakfast Harry changed for a Quidditch practice session, feeling himself to have not been keeping on top of his match fitness. Seeker reflexes are genetic, Harry had been taught, but that still didn't mean they couldn't slacken off or get rusty through lack of use. It felt good to mount the broomstick, zip off high above the castle in chase of a winged golden ball…

Because it was simple.

He was vaguely aware of what his teammates were doing; Ron was having a blinder keeping almost everything out. He knew that first hand when he actually had to duck around the hoops in the midst of a particularly frantic pursuit of the Snitch…Ron had nearly belted him one.

Harry launched himself into a dive, watching that tiny little golden blur and willing himself faster and faster…

Come on…come here, you little…come on…GOTCHA!

Two feet from the ground, he caught the Snitch and sharply pulled up, barely missing one of the stands as he came back to match-level height and righted himself…

To find himself nearly face-to-face with Hermione, sitting alone in the empty stand.

She looked up from her book with a smile, "Nice catch, Harry."

Harry grinned, Oh, you're telling me…

"Listen, can you stay there?" Harry asked. "I wanted to talk to you…"

Hermione just smiled that patient, all-knowing smile of hers, "Sure."

* * * * *

Harry raced back to the locker room, dumped his gear and changed, and must have set a record in getting back up to the stand. He found Hermione still sat there, still reading her book as he came up behind her. It was strange, he never got these butterflies before…

"Good book?" Harry asked as he sat down next to her.

Hermione shrugged, "The book's fine, it's just finding a quiet place to read it."

"Well, I'm sorry to intrude."

Hermione smiled at Harry, touching him on the arm, "Don't be, I'm glad you're here. And I was watching your practice as well, by the way. You looked good."

"That's good to know…" Harry said with a grin.

"Did you sleep alright?" Hermione asked.

Let's not go there… "Yeah, well enough," Harry said, "you?"

Hermione flexed her eyebrows, "Between all the gossiping that was going on, fine."

"You too, huh?"

Hermione nodded slowly, then turned her whole body to face Harry, her face suddenly apprehensive, "You're not mad at me, are you?"

Harry looked at her and shook his head, "Why would I be?"

Hermione's look turned from upset to condescending.

"Okay…" Harry said, "I was…you know, surprised."

"Of course," Hermione said patiently.

"And maybe, if it was me, I wouldn't have…in front of everyone…"

"Harry, it's okay to tell me you think I was wrong to do that." Hermione said.

"I know…" Harry said, looking into her eyes, "But…I did enjoy it."

Hermione's face once again melted into a smile, "I'm glad."

"Yeah…" Harry chuckled, "you are a pretty good kisser."

"Aww," Hermione said, linking her arm through Harry's and scooting closer, "thanks for the compliment."

"No problem."

"But you didn't really answer my question, Harry."

"What's that?"

"Do you regret me kissing you, in front of everyone?" Hermione asked seriously.

Harry looked away, then down at the floor, "…Can I be completely honest with you?"

"Of course, Harry, please."

Harry shook his head, "At first, I thought I did…but now, I don't know if I thought like that, because it's what I thought I should be thinking? Does that make any sense?"

Hermione nodded, "You wondered if the idea of kissing your best friend, someone so close and…involved to you, should be thought of as something wrong, or unseemly. That perhaps that was a boundary we shouldn't cross, at least publicly…because even if we know what's really going on here, others will either be unable to understand or unwilling to grasp the full…"

"But that's it, Hermione…" Harry said, daring to look her in the eyes again, "…what is going on here?"

For the first time in recent memory, Harry could see Hermione struggle for words, stumbling over what to say and in what order to say it… "What do you mean?"

"Why did you kiss me there, in front of everyone?"

It was Hermione's turn to look down, "…Because I've never been kissed on Valentine's Day before, Harry."

That sounded painful to admit, to Harry's ears. He kept his mouth shut, wordlessly willing her to continue.

"I've never been one of those girls that gets excited about Valentine's Day, not really. So when this one came along…I busied myself with my little project. And then, well, and then our thing happened."

Harry put an arm around Hermione's shoulder.

"And so maybe, I thought, maybe just once I could experience a true Valentine's moment…" Hermione said, her voice wavering. She looked into Harry's eyes, "I'm sorry if you think I took advantage of you, Harry, I just…thought maybe it could be a special Valentine's Day for you, too."

Harry pulled Hermione into him, giving her a hug. As Hermione put her arms around his neck, Harry found himself giving her a peck on the cheek.

"I'm not mad at you," He whispered into her ear, "don't worry. And it was a special night for me, too. But not just because you kissed me, Hermione…because you were there."

"Oh, Harry…" She said in a quiet voice.

"…What?"

Hermione smiled, "Why are you such a sweetheart?"

Harry grinned, "Erm…well, you pick these things up."

"You certainly do," Hermione said, pulling back from their embrace. Her eyes were red, but she was beaming.

Harry felt good. Better than he had felt in quite a while… "I'm glad we can talk like this."

"Me too," Hermione said.

"So…where do we go from here?"

Hermione leaned closer to him, "I don't want to appear bossy, Harry, but this would be an absolutely perfect time for number four…"

Harry studied the devilish smile on her face, and couldn't help laughing, "Yeah…I guess you're right."

"As long as you don't mind kissing me in public…?"

Harry shook his head, "I think I can get used to it…"

"Good…" Hermione said, cupping Harry's face with both her hands.

Her face closed in on Harry's, and her lips would not take no for an answer. Harry closed his eyes and reveled in that feeling, finding himself returning her kiss full force. God, this feels good…I can get used to this as well… The smell of Hermione's breath on his face, the feel of her hands on his cheeks, the warmth and the softness of her mouth…there wasn't anywhere else he wanted to be right now.

Hermione pulled away with a deep, contented sigh, and a smile.

Harry grinned, "…No tongue this time, then?"

Hermione laughed and swatted him on the arm, "Harry!"

"Sorry!" Harry said.

"Maybe next time, if you're good," Hermione said, wiggling her eyebrows with an evil smirk.

Harry could think of no possible comeback to that, so simply stood up, "Wanna go see Hagrid?"

Hermione took his hand and stood up, "Love to."

"Good…" Harry said, beginning to turn around, "I'm fine with the kissing in public, but still, I'm glad we didn't have an audience this time…"

"Um…Harry…" Hermione said.

Harry turned back to face her…and saw it.

The whole Gryffindor Quidditch team was lined up in mid-air some forty or so feet away by the goal-posts, facing them.

Ron shot Harry a thumbs-up.

Hermione giggled, leading Harry by the hand away towards the stairs, "I'm glad you're fine with an audience, Harry…"

"Any way you can curse them too, just for the hell of it…?"

-->