Unofficial Portkey Archive

The White Elixir by Wizardora
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The White Elixir

Wizardora

Chapter Six

The following takes place between 7:00am and 8:00am on the day of the Wizengamot Ministerial election.

Events occur in real time

7:00am, Carlton Campaign Office

Tom Kennedy paced briskly around the office, focusing his quickstep in front of the desk near the large window. His frustrations were growing, greatly exacerbated by Lucien's stout refusal to change his mind. This stubbornness, so often a trait Kennedy admired in his boss, was now a source of contention. His resolute expression, tinted with the slightest amused smirk, was serving to send Kennedy's blood pressure through the roof.

"I've made my position clear many times, Tom," Carlton was saying. "I'm not going to alter anything now."

"Despite the new warnings?" cried Kennedy. "Not only have the Aurors been put on a higher alert footing but the Muggle Prime Minister has been in touch with Spragg to say that something big is going down in their world. Something connected to us - and to Harry Potter. That doesn't slightly concern you?"

"Of course it concerns me," said Carlton. "But what good will changing our schedule do? The threat will remain whether we do anything or not."

"The difference being we might stay alive if we change our plans," said Kennedy.

"Tom, Tom, you're being very dramatic," said Carlton. "There isn't a shred of evidence linking me to this threat. I don't know why you're worried so."

"Twenty minutes ago you were convinced, yourself, that your imagined enemies were coming for you. Now you`re suddenly smiles and joviality."

"You know how I get," said Carlton. "My paranoia and I are old friends. But I'm always master of it in the end. I`m sure we`ll be quite safe today."

"I just don't like it," said Kennedy. "I've had a feeling all day that something bad is going to happen. I put it down to nerves but then with these developments... I've objected to your open travelling plan from the beginning and these events haven't exactly dispelled those worries."

"What are you saying, Tom? Are you going to abandon me at the eleventh hour?"

"What? No, of course not," said Kennedy. "I just need to understand why you're being so stoic on this point."

"Tom, listen to me," said Carlton. "I want the people voting for me to think I'm approachable, one of them, even if that isn't entirely the case. I have to show my face, do the rounds amongst the populous so they can relate to me. It's only a matter of time before news of the alert level being raised breaks to the media. Once the Prophet goes into panic overdrive and the radio picks up on it, people will start to worry. I want to be with them to show strength in the face of this danger, to let the voters know I'm sharing it with them."

"There are safer ways to do that, Sir," said Kennedy.

"Perhaps, but they are less politically powerful. The Wizengamot is often viewed as an ivory tower and if I try to sit in one - like the others will do - then all that I've tried to convey in this campaign will be rendered meaningless propaganda. I have to do this, Tom, no matter what the risks may be."

Kennedy sighed. He knew that argument was totally pointless. If Carlton wouldn't change his risky plans in the face of such obvious danger then there was no use debating it with him. For the first time, Tom felt tired; tired of arguing sense against foolishness, tired of banging his head against the brick wall of Carlton's stubbornness. Not once in the many years he had served the Gamot had Kennedy thought of going a different way, but now, with all that was going on, the first whispers of resignation slipped into the back of his mind.

* * *

7:04am, Zante

Harry continued to stare at Ginny. She had yet to respond to his demand and was simply sat with her arms around her knees and looking about as afraid as anyone could. This was hardly a surprise; the aggression in Harry's eyes would have made stronger people than Ginny tremble under his gaze. For her part she continued to moan about the injuries she was feigning, an act which riled Harry even more.

While they were playing this little game, Hermione was trying to understand it all. She had obediently sealed the room as Harry had asked, even going as far as to check that all the kids were now downstairs. She couldn't imagine the reason that Harry had made these demands, though judging by the ferocity of his stare towards Ginny it was clear that her conduct must have something to do with it.

"I'm waiting, Ginny," said Harry. "Start talking."

"I don't know what you want me to say, I really don't," said Ginny desperately.

"The hell you don't," said Harry.

"Please, Harry, I'm still in pain after what they did to me. I can't think properly to answer your riddles."

"LIAR!"

Harry slashed his wand through the air; almost immediately, Ginny let out a gasp and began struggling for breath.

"Harry! What are you doing?" cried Hermione rushing over. She recognised the spell, an asphyxiation jinx Harry developed to use in coercive interrogation. She never imagined she'd ever see him use it on his wife.

"She's lying to me, she knows what's going on and if she wont tell me by choice I'll have to extract the information another way."

For the first time since she'd known him, Hermione was genuinely afraid of Harry. There was such malice in his look and voice that she felt compelled to back away. That, however, was not a habit Hermione was used to; besides, if Ginny was to have any chance of coming out of this unscathed Harry must be made to see reason.

"Harry, stop," said Hermione. "At least tell me what's going on."

Harry looked at her and the anger in his face receded. He lifted his wand and broke the jinx; Ginny fell forwards gasping for breath and gulping in lungfuls of air.

"You…b-bastard," she panted. "Why the h-hell did you d-do that?"

"Why don't you tell me," said Harry. "The longer you choose not to talk the worse this is going to get."

"Harry," said Hermione firmly, taking him by the shoulders and moving him bodily to face her. "If Ginny wont talk to you at least you can talk to me. What's happening here? What's Ginny done wrong?"

"Why don't you stay out of it?" spat Ginny. "Can't you keep your nose out of our business for five seconds?"

"I'm trying to save you here," said Hermione.

"I don't want, or need, anything from you," said Ginny acidly.

"Harry, can you explain to me why your wife has suddenly gone mental?"

"That's what I'm trying to find out," said Harry. "I want her to tell me why it is that she's pretending to be hurt when, in fact, there isn't a damned thing wrong with her."

"Harry - I saw her being tortured."

"Looks can be deceiving," said Harry, throwing a dagger-laden look down at Ginny. "Can't they, Dear?"

"I still don't know what you're talking about," Ginny protested.

"One more lie, Ginny, that's all I'll allow you," said Harry. "Twenty years of marriage has earned you one more lie. Use it wisely - after that I'm really going to lose my temper."

"Harry, tell me what's going on," said Hermione.

He turned to her. "Those two men over there broke in here tonight. That should have been impossible - you're the Secret Keeper and I know you'd sooner die than break that bond of trust. The only other way in is if a senior member of the family invites someone across the boundary."

"You can't think Ginny let these people in on purpose?" said Hermione. "Why on Earth would she?"

"You can see for yourself that she isn't saying," said Harry. "But even though it represents the grossest of violations I can only work on the facts."

"What facts?" asked Ginny. "Harry - you're scaring me."

He leant down close to her. "Good, I'm glad. But if you think you're scared now just carry on defying me. I'll make you wish you felt this good again."

"Harry, I cant just watch you torture Ginny without a proper explanation," said Hermione. "You're breaking laws on so many levels."

Harry turned to her and grinned slightly as he spoke. "Are you going to try and arrest me, Hermione?"

"What - oh, no of course not," she replied, slightly flustered at the look Harry was giving her. "But really, Harry - you cant just do this without justification."

"There are two facts," Harry began. "Someone managed to breach our security and was able to torture me. Secondly, these intruders appeared to give the same treatment to Ginny, only they didn't. She was faking the whole thing."

"How can you say I was faking anything!" Ginny cried. "You saw what they were doing to me."

"I know when you're faking, Ginny," said Harry bluntly. Hermione turned away, embarrassed. Ginny raised her eyebrows and let that annoying smirk creep into the corners of her mouth.

"They were torturing me. I felt the pain."

"You felt nothing," said Harry. "Not a thing."

"How can you know that, Harry?" asked Hermione.

"I used a modified Imperius Curse," Harry explained. "I broke into her mind to try and take some of the pain she must have been going through. She was screaming convincingly, after all. I entered her mind and guess what? There was nothing, not even an ache in her toenail. It was all an act."

Hermione and Ginny gasped in unison, but for starkly different reasons.

"I can't believe you!" cried Ginny. "It's an outrage! You violated me! It's a breach of the worst kind. You've crossed a line, Harry, breaking into my mind against my will."

"Against your will is right," said Harry. "Keeping me away from your deception must have been at the forefront of your will. And how can you talk about breaches? You let armed men in here to torture me; you let dangerous criminals near our kids! Were they next?"

"Don't be ridiculous," said Ginny. "I'd never let anything happen to the children."

"Sounds like a confession," said Harry. "At least you aren't denying it. You were a part of this."

"I'm not a part of anything, you have to believe me," pleaded Ginny. "You've got this all wrong."

"I've spent the last hour being put through the worst kind of agony," said Harry. "The men who did it must have gotten in here somehow. Only three people could have facilitated that and they're all in this room. I rule myself and Hermione out as culprits, so that just leaves you."

"So you trust her more than me?"

"Yes, I do."

Ginny looked like she'd been slapped and for a moment was unable to respond.

"Harry, perhaps I should go," said Hermione.

"Yes, perhaps you should," said Ginny. "You have no right to be here."

"Ginny - shut up," said Harry. "Hermione, stay please. I want you to be - hang on, why are you here? In all this mess I haven't asked why you came."

"Isn't it obvious? To continue her campaign as chief home wrecker."

"One more word, Ginny, and I will remove your ability to speak," said Harry dangerously. "Hermione, tell me why you've come."

"There are major problems at home," Hermione began; Ginny coughed pointedly but Hermione simply disregarded her. "The Auror Office was attacked in the early hours. All communication channels, except owls, are down. It was an inside job and there are Muggle aspects to the whole thing which are being investigated."

"What happened?" asked Harry.

"Stian Dahlgren is chiefly responsible for the attack," said Hermione. "He disabled the communication and the Unforgivable Trackers. Luckily, he was subdued by a junior Auror and interrogated, quite fiercely, by Draco Malfoy. All he gave up was that he took his orders from someone fashioning themselves under the alias `The Baron'. This Baron character also ordered my assassination."

"What! Someone tried to kill you! Lily was right," said Harry.

"I'm okay, don't worry," said Hermione smoothing Harry's arm. Ginny scowled in the background. "There are big events taking shape and right now its all a bit of a jumble. Malfoy came to me with this information and demanded that I get you involved. That's why I'm here."

"How did Draco get involved in this?"

"There was a brutal murder in Barnet this morning," said Hermione. "A wizard was beaten to death trying to get a letter into your hands. Muggle police picked it up and MI5 got involved. Draco's been all over this from the beginning."

"Do you have the letter?" asked Harry.

"Here," said Hermione, handing it to him. "Draco thought it might be from a Prima."

Harry stared at it. He ran his wand over the corner of the envelope, reading something Hermione couldn't see. He closed his eyes as realisation dawned.

"It's from Roberts," said Harry eventually. "He was on a deep cover mission with an organised crime gang. He spent months trying to get close to the leader but never even penetrated the inner circle. I'd bet my right arm he found out something dangerous and that its in this letter. Did he have an amulet with him?"

"Draco didn't say, it was just the letter," said Hermione. "Why would he have an amulet?"

"I send all Black Ops Aurors out wearing special amulets which record any conversations they have and any places they go. If Roberts had been wearing his we could have traced the people who murdered him. If he didn't have it they must have taken it, which isn't good."

"Why not?"

"It means whoever is responsible knows how the amulets work, though only top level personnel even know about them" said Harry. "It means there is a leak in the Primas somewhere. This Baron person knows our procedures."

Harry suddenly contorted in pain, clutching at his side and falling to one knee.

"Harry! What is it?" asked Hermione.

"My ribs are cracked," said Harry. "They're digging into me inside."

"Come here, lift up your shirt," said Hermione. Harry obeyed and Hermione stroked her hand across the angry bulge in his torso, isolating the damaged rib. Harry winced as she did so. "I know it hurts, I'm sorry. There isn't any other way."

"Just do it fast," said Harry. "You're tickling me."

They exchanged smiles as Hermione began casting yet more healing spells. Suddenly, Ginny jumped up from the bed.

"Get your filthy hands off my husband!"

Ginny halted at the end of the bed; Harry's arm had shot up as she moved and his wand-tip was now resting on the bridge of her nose.

"You did this to me," he said softly. "Now you can watch as it gets put right."

Ginny glowered at Harry and Hermione in turn but didn't back down. The healing spell worked quickly and soon Harry was back on his feet.

"Tell me about the Baron, Ginny. Do you know him?"

"How many times can I tell you that I haven't got a clue what you're talking about?" said Ginny. "I've never heard of any `Baron' and I don't know why you're acting like this."

Harry could have cried out in frustration. He looked down at Ginny, who was still staring angrily at Hermione, and was struck with an idea. Despite his claims, he didn't think he could aggressively interrogate Ginny; he just couldn't bring himself to do it. The fact remained, however, that she was definitely hiding something. The only way to find out what it was to make her lose her focus on the lie. After seeing her react to Hermione's healing actions just now, Harry thought he might know exactly how to rile Ginny into a mistake.

* * *

7:14am, MI5 HQ, London

Malfoy watched impassively as the gurney was wheeled out of Holding Cell Two. Under the sheet lay Callum McDonagh, an expendable hired thug who had been more badly injured than Malfoy had realised when he had begun his interrogation. He gave up only the same sketchy information he had previously confessed to Hermione Weasley, despite Malfoy pushing him considerably harder. He was just a pawn, a nothing in the larger events going on. Hurt by Hermione, then pushed too far under aggressive questioning, Malfoy comforted himself that at least McDonagh had suffered a fate Harry Potter would have approved of.

"Is it standard procedure in your world to kill your detainees during questioning?" asked Agent Scott as McDonagh was wheeled past. "I wouldn't have thought he could have answered many questions once he was dead."

"He was dead before I even brought him here," said Malfoy. "A bit like your personality."

"Did he tell you anything useful?" asked Scott, ignoring Malfoy's jibe.

"Nothing I didn't already know," said Malfoy. "Have you found the location of that plane yet?"

"No," said Scott. "We're repositioning satellites to track it but that takes time."

"And still no idea where the clearance came from?"

"No," said Scott through gritted teeth.

"It seems quite clear to me that you have a leak somewhere then," said Malfoy. "Your enemies have someone on the inside."

"Nonsense," said Scott. "Director Barnes vetted everyone who works here. He knows all their backgrounds; none of them has any affiliation with terror groups."

"Things can always change, Scott," said Malfoy. "No human can ever omit ambition, especially if there is a fat pay day at the end of it."

"There are no traitors in this office!" said Scott hotly. "For all we know any leak could come from you."

"That's the right attitude," said Malfoy. "Suspect everyone, because one of them is dirty. But considering that I just killed a potential lead it shows how far I'm willing to go to get to the bottom of this. Priority flight clearance can't come from anywhere and if I understand your regulations correctly such things need to be recorded. If you cant find this information it has either been hidden or erased. Clearly, someone doesn't want you to know where that plane has gone."

Scott looked at Malfoy and wanted to argue the point, but he knew the wizard's words made sense. It was just that the idea of a leak inside MI5 abhorred him. He wanted more than anything to disprove it but it did seem the most plausible theory. Their raised voices hadn't gone unnoticed, though, and Director Barnes had been alerted to their exchange and approached them.

"I thought I told the pair of you to bury the hatchet," said Barnes. "This has to end, now."

"We were just discussing a difference of opinion," said Scott.

"Yes, the opinion that being a trusting moron doesn't always reap rewards," said Malfoy.

"Draco!" said Barnes. "What's the matter with you? Must you always be so confrontational?"

"Yes, sometimes it's the only way to yield results," said Malfoy.

"If you're so damned clever you tell us what you would do," said Scott.

"Do about what?" asked Barnes.

"David Copperfield, here, thinks we have a leak," said Scott. "He thinks the information about the plane from Dublin has disappeared thanks to deliberate sabotage."

"On what grounds?"

"On the grounds that if two air traffic control centres and civil aviation can't find this documentation then it probably isn't there to be found," said Malfoy. "The plane was cleared to take off and travel somewhere. That sort of clearance must have been authorised at a senior level and things of that nature don't simply disappear. High level clearance, high level position to erase it. It all points to a sleeper on the inside and considering MI5 is responsible for homeland security I'd bet there's a good chance your mole is here."

Barnes looked thoughtfully at Malfoy. "If there was someone here they could be passing information out. They could anticipate our every move to stop whatever it is being planned. Scott - go and set up a level four protocol; I want to know all communications coming in and out of here. Close all unnecessary sockets; lets limit the people we talk to until this is locked down. I want to make sure our backsides are covered today."

"I'm not a techie, Sir," said Scott.

"Fine, get Jenny onto it, she the best we have," said Barnes. "Give her specific instructions to filter all chatter and make sure she keeps her activities out of sight of the others. If we do have a mole the last thing we want to do is let them know we're onto them."

* * *

7:20am, Zante

James stared across the breakfast table. Lily looked exhausted and could barely keep her eyes open; Albus on the other hand had folded his arms onto the table and was resting his chin on them. James thought he was wearing a strange, almost mutinous expression but he was too confused about other events to question him on it.

"I still don't get it," said James to Celesca. "Why did my dad speak like that about my mum? And why did he ask you to bring us all down here? I wish I knew what was going on up there."

Celesca didn't answer. She had been pointedly ignoring all of James's entreaties for the past twenty minutes. She didn't think she could bear to say to him what she thought was going on, knowing how angry it would make him. But she couldn't shake the vision lingering in her mind; those cold eyes had looked up at her in such a way to leave Celesca in little doubt of their intent. It made her shudder to remember it and she was thankful that so far James had merely voiced his frustrations in a general manner, sparing her the need to answer directly.

"Lily, you look so tired," said Celesca. "Do you want to try and get some sleep on the couch?"

Lily yawned widely. "I can't sleep."

"Perhaps you should try," said Celesca. She rose and guided Lily, who seemed too tired to protest, across the room.

"What do you think Dad wanted to talk to Mum about?" asked Albus.

"I don't know, but he seemed mad," said James.

"Mad about what?"

"Probably that people were trying to hurt her," said James.

"Maybe he wanted her help to find out what those men wanted," suggested Albus. "That's why he wanted to get rid of you, so you wouldn't see it."

"He didn't get rid of me," said James. "He asked Celesca to help me make sure you and Lily were okay."

"You said he ordered Celesca to take you away," said Albus. "He obviously didn't want you there."

"He didn't need me to be around, not when Auntie Hermione was with him," said James.

"I want to know what she's doing here," said Albus. "Why would she turn up at this time of day?"

James was shocked at the acidity in Albus's voice. "Why are you talking about Auntie H like that?"

"Like what?"

"Like you cant stand her. Why the vicious tone of voice?"

"I'm not being vicious," said Albus, though he didn't meet James's eye when he spoke.

"We should be thankful she turned up when she did," said James. "She saved Mum and Dad."

"You and Celesca seemed to do half the work," said Albus. "But Dad still only wanted Hermione there, not you."

"For which there're probably loads of reasons," said James. "I just wish I knew what they were doing. What do you think, Cel?"

"Um?" Celesca replied as she took her seat again. "What was that?"

"What do you think's going on upstairs? Why do you think my dad made you take me away?"

"I don't know, James," Celesca replied quickly. "No idea."

"Since when do you have no ideas?" asked James, grinning. "Come on, you must be curious."

"I've already said I don't know, James," she snapped.

The problem with Celesca trying to conceal something was that James had spent much of the last six months with his eyes glued to her face. This had made him fairly tuned in to her expressions and emotions and as he looked at her now he could see concern etched into every line of her furrowed brow. His own condition changed as a result and he suddenly felt a lot more serious.

"Celesca, what is it?" he asked. "What are you thinking?"

"Please don't make me answer that."

"Why not?" James asked. "Did I miss something upstairs? What happened?"

"James - I can't!" Celesca replied desperately. "Please don't push me on it."

James got up and offered Celesca his hand. She knew it was pointless to resist and allowed James to help her to her feet and guide her to the veranda. They made their way down the lawn away from the villa.

"Right, tell me what happened," said James.

There was such powerful concern in his voice that Celesca's resistance fluctuated. He seemed only interested in the cause of her agitated state and there would be no stalling him in finding out what it was.

"Ok, but please don't be mad at me for saying it," she replied. Her voice was so small that James felt himself shiver as though her worries had become his own.

"What could I be mad at?" he said, stroking her hand soothingly. "Just tell me what went on."

Celesca took a deep, steadying breath.

"I think your dad asked me to take you away because of - well…because of your mum."

"My mum? What about her?"

James felt himself tauten. Already he had the sinking feeling he wasn't going to like what Celesca had to say.

"Well, I think somehow - now don't be mad - that's she's, well…got something to do with what went on."

"Now that's just plain stupid," said James forcefully, letting go of Celesca's hand.

"I knew you'd be angry. I'm sorry - I shouldn't have said anything," said Celesca timidly.

"Why would you say something like that? Its ridiculous."

"I know it sounds like that, but James - you should have seen the look she gave me when I was untying her."

"What look?" he asked.

"Just pure loathing," said Celesca. "Her eyes had no emotion in them. It frightened me."

James stopped himself from ranting; the idea of Celesca being frightened quelled any anger he might have been feeling.

"My mum…frightened you?" he said in a low voice. "Just by a look?"

"Yes, it was so cold," said Celesca. "And James, I…I don't think she was in any pain. She didn't look hurt to me; your dad had cuts all over him but your mum was unharmed."

"Are you trying to say she was putting it all on?" said James angrily.

Celesca cowered away. Her voice was tiny when she spoke. "I don't know…I don't know what I'm trying to say. I'm sorry."

"No, I'm the one who's sorry," said James softly, putting an arm around her. "I don't know why I said that like I was blaming you. I'm just having trouble processing all this. Is that really what you think, though?"

Celesca nodded. "When I looked at her I could tell she wasn't in any pain, and the way she looked back said she knew that I could tell she was pretending. Her look was dark and dangerous, like my knowing her secret would cost me in the end."

"Bitch!" James jumped up and stormed away, pacing around and around.

"James, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that."

"Yes you should have," said James. He was having difficulty gathering his thoughts. "It's not you I'm angry at, Celly. It's me - and its her. That woman calling herself my mother. My God - she let those men torture my dad! She must have. And - oh, Merlin! - you untied her! You were right next to her! She could have done anything to you. Oh, Celesca - dearest, loveliest Celesca - anything could have happened to you."

He ran to her and began kissing her all over her head as though it would somehow erase the imagined horrors James had placed her near. He walked away again, sat down, stood up again and paced some more. The idea that he'd put her so close to such danger sickened him, so much so that he ran to a nearby bush and threw up.

"James! Are you alright?" asked Celesca, hurrying over.

"No, I'm pretty far from alright," said James, wiping his mouth on his sleeve. He felt so guilty he didn't think he could bear to look at Celesca. "I can't get my head around it - you could have been hurt."

"But I wasn't," she said soothingly. "Nothing happened to me."

"But it could have and it would have been my fault and I'd never have forgiven myself," said James. "She could have done -"

James didn't finish the sentence because the worst possibilities to end it were too horrific to think on.

"She's still your mother, James."

James looked at Celesca incredulously. "If she'd hurt you I'd have never called her that again."

"That's sweet, James, but we both know that isn't true," said Celesca.

"Celesca I love you more than anything, or anyone, in the world," said James. "I tell you honestly that if anyone purposely hurt you - my mother or not - they'd be dead to me."

Celesca smiled and blushed in the morning light. "I'd kiss you but you have just been sick."

"I'm so, so sorry," said James. "About all of this."

"It's alright, I'm fine," said Celesca smoothing his arm. "Let's just go back up to the house and wait until your dad comes down. He said he'd explain everything to you. If your mum has done something awful she has two of the most powerful people in the magical world to answer to."

"I just hope my dad has it in him," said James. Celesca slipped her arm into his and slowly they walked back up to the villa.

* * *

7:27am, Thames Valley Water

Elton Brewer scooped up the mixture in his cauldron with a long ladle. He scanned the contents up close; it still wasn't the right colour or consistency. Brewer frowned that the process was taking far longer than it ought. It was down to the fact that the potion was being prepared in a much bigger quantity than Brewer had worked on before. It was setting everything back and the delays were starting to frustrate the potion-maker.

"Is it nearly ready?" asked Cillian Coles. "My arm is starting to ache holding this gun up all this time. I just want to get this over with and shoot this guy."

The Muggle engineer whimpered as he tried to focus on the gauges.

"Please, don't kill me," he begged. "I have a family."

"So what?" said Coles. "You'd rather we killed them than you?"

"What?"

"You said you have a family," Coles taunted. "Sounded like you were offering them in exchange for your pathetic life."

"No, that's not what I -"

"Will you please shut up," said Brewer lightly, though he was smirking. "As entertaining as this tormenting is I really need to concentrate. This can't go wrong and the margins are exceptionally fine."

"Is it nearly ready, then?" Coles asked again.

"Not nearly enough," said Brewer bitterly. "It's taking longer than I thought."

"Maybe you're doing it wrong," said Coles.

"I think not."

"How are you so sure?"

"Because if I had brewed this potion incorrectly we would probably be dead," said Brewer casually. "One over measurement of the ingredients, one stir too many in either direction, adding the elements in the wrong order - any of these would have been disastrous. If it hadn't exploded then the poisonous fumes would have made our internal organs heat up and melt."

"Nice," said Coles, shuddering.

"As it is things are on track, if going a little slowly."

As Brewer went back to his stirring the distant sound of approaching voices drew the attention of all. Brewer looked up, concerned.

"I thought you said this area was off limits?" he hissed at Coles.

"It is," said Coles. "They could be looking for the foreman. Or this guy."

"Get rid of them," said Brewer. "This mixture can't be moved."

"We haven't got time," said Coles. "We're going to have to bluff our way out." He turned to the engineer. "If you blab I'm going to gut your family personally."

The engineer gulped. Brewer slipped behind one of the big treatment tanks as the voices grew nearer. Soon enough two white-coated employees rounded the corner and happened upon the little scene.

"There you are, Stevens," said one of the men. "Why aren't you at your station? Come to think of it - what's going on here?"

"Cillian Coles, Water Board," said Coles, flashing his fake identification. "We're conducting tests on the water quality. Stevens is helping me monitor the pressures."

"This is highly improper. I've heard nothing about this."

"The foreman dealt with me this morning," said Coles. "This is a spot check. Its all above board."

"Stevens - is this true."

Stevens, despite his overwhelming fears for his family, couldn't stand by and let these people do whatever dangerous thing it was they were planning. It was bound to be some terrorist attack and if thousands of people suffered because of him he didn't think he would be able to live with himself. He swallowed hard and summoned up his courage.

"It isn't true, I'm -"

"You're what?" asked the man. "Stevens? What's wrong with you?"

The engineer's eyes had become unfocused and distant. When he spoke again his voice didn't quite sound the same.

"I'm fine," he said. "There are some purity issues. I'm running tests on this sample. It's been cleared with management."

"Just now you were going to say something? You said something wasn't true."

"It isn't true that I'm testing pressures," said Stevens. "We've done that. This is a quality control issue. It shouldn't take long to be done."

"Okay, if you say so," said the man, looking doubtful. "We've got a briefing in an hour. All department heads have to be there. Main office."

"I'll be there."

"See that you are. One hour, Stevens. In the meantime I'm going to look into this spot check, Mr Coles. This is not proper procedure."

"You do that," said Coles. "And when you're proven wrong I'll expect an apology."

Coles scowled at the man before he and his colleague left. Brewer waited until their footsteps had died away before emerging.

"We don't have a lot of time. They'll be sniffing around again I feel."

"How did Stevens just change his mind like that?" said Coles. "I thought he was going to dob us in."

"He was, till I stepped in," said Brewer waving his wand. "Now let me get back to work."

"What does this stuff do, anyway?" asked Coles, looking into the cauldron.

"It creates a lethal poison when mixed with water," said Brewer. "Once people start turning their taps on and ingesting the substance they will have very little time left to live. By happy coincidence all the known antidote for the poison is in the hands of one man."

"The Baron?" asked Coles.

"Exactly," said Brewer. "It remains to be seen just how far the Governments of our two worlds will be willing to go to save their citizens, but once people start dropping dead I'm sure they'll prove to be reasonable to our demands."

"What are they?"

"You'd have to ask the Baron," said Brewer. "I think he's the only one who really knows what he wants from this. As long as I get my five hundred thousand Galleons I really couldn't care less what he does. I'll be on a beach in Bali by the time any of that goes down."

Coles watched intently. To think that such an innocuous looking this could do so much damage was slightly overwhelming, but to think of the genius behind the surprisingly simple plan was even more so. It made Coles fearful of anything going wrong; he was starting to feel a cold shudder every time the Baron's name was mentioned.

* * *

7:32am, MI5 HQ

"Malfoy, you should come in here."

Malfoy had been making his way back towards his office when Barnes had caught him halfway. He'd been intending to check the status of the Auror Office repairs and had half a mind on the condition of Auror Amanda Banks, who had been pretty shaken up by the whole experience. Those plans would have to be put on the back foot for now as Barnes seemed pretty urgent in his request.

"What is it?" Malfoy asked, following the Director to his station on the Ops floor.

"We've managed to track our mystery plane by radar," said Barnes. Agent Miller turned in her seat to join them. "It was just blind luck that one of our nuclear subs was on a routine training patrol. We sent out a general request for intel on that area and got sent this back."

"It's the flight path of a plane," Scott explained. "The signature it carries matches the one at the Dublin airfield. We've managed to trace it to an abandoned military airbase just outside Cardiff."

"Cardiff? That's several hours away by car. They could have escaped to anywhere by the time we get there."

"We've got local agents on the ground moving to that location, Draco," said Barnes. "They're giving us real time updates on their progress. They wont be long in reaching the airfield and I want you here when they go in."

"Why?"

"Because if it all goes tits up you and I are going to travel to this place by your methods," said Scott, so that only Malfoy could hear. "Barnes says you can reach anywhere really quickly. If that's true, and anything goes wrong, we're going to have a small window of opportunity to resolve the situation. You have to know what these people look like in case that situation arises."

"Any idea why they'd land there?" asked Malfoy.

"Apart from the obvious - decent road links, a busy city to hide in, short flight time - we can't match anything up. We're hoping this develops a lead or two."

"Barnes, can I speak with you privately?" asked Malfoy.

Barnes and Scott exchanged telling looks before the Director showed Malfoy to an empty area at the rear of the room.

"What is it?"

"Any progress on your leak?"

"We're still monitoring communications but Jenny's not come up with anything yet," said Barnes. "You could be wrong, you know."

"And I could be right," said Malfoy. "I just need to know how much you trust Scott."

"You don't think Agent Scott is dirty, do you? He's one of the most loyal Agents we have."

"Which provides perfect cover," said Malfoy. "I'm perfectly prepared to believe that his ineptitude is to blame for his inactivity; that the fact he's done next to nothing today is a natural result of his incompetence. But if you expect me to take him with me to go after Kelly, I need to know he isn't going to gun me down as soon as my back's turned. Bullets kill wizards as well as innocent bystanders, you know."

"I'd trust Scott with my children's lives," said Barnes stoutly. "He's a good man. A little cynical, I'll agree, but he's a fine agent. You can trust him."

"I only trust two people in this world so don't expect me to take someone I barely know into my confidence," said Malfoy. "I just hope you're right about Scott. The consequences could be dire if you're wrong."

Malfoy went back to the workstation with Barnes left to dwell on far more issues than he was comfortable with.

* * *

7:37am, Zante

Harry and Hermione were locked in near-silent conversation in the corner of the room. Harry smiled inwardly at the look of fiery anger on Ginny's face; her rage was bubbling beneath the surface and so far all he and Hermione had done was talk privately. Harry was more convinced than ever that this plan would work but convincing Hermione was proving difficult.

"She's holding something back, that much is obvious," Harry whispered.

"I agree, but she doesn't look like she's going to tell you anytime soon," Hermione replied.

"I can't interrogate her, Hermione, I just cant," said Harry. "You do understand?"

"Of course I do," she said gently. "I don't blame you if that's what you're thinking."

"Do you think you could get anything from her?"

Hermione almost laughed. "Because we're on such good terms!"

"I didn't mean by normal methods," said Harry.

"I know that," Hermione replied. "The answer is still no. She knows I've been trying to use Legilimency on her and she's blocking me all the time. She's quite powerful."

"I know. I taught her Occlumency years ago. That's probably why she's been able to hide this plan from me for so long."

"We have to find out what it is, how she's involved," said Hermione. "I really can't believe that she would have anything to do with the Baron situation, but I cant support the idea that you being cut off from back home, and what's happened here, are unconnected. It would be the biggest coincidence in history."

"She's involved alright," said Harry. "Her eyes flashed when I mentioned the Baron. It isn't the first time she's heard that name."

Hermione softened and stepped closer to Harry. "What's going to happen when you find out what's going on? How are you taking this all?"

"I'm alright," said Harry.

"Don't try and lie to me and think I wont notice it," said Hermione. "Not after all these years."

"I'm cut up, wouldn't you be?" said Harry. "She allows me to be tortured, she endangers my kids, who knows what else; whatever the reason turns out to be it wont excuse her. I don't think I'll ever be able to forgive her, Hermione."

"But what will you do with her?"

"I haven't thought that far ahead. I just want the confession."

"And you really think this plan will work?" Hermione asked doubtfully.

"She hit the roof when you were touching me earlier," said Harry. "You can almost feel the steam coming from her ears that we're whispering over here. She's always had a violent jealousy about our relationship - we can use that to make her slip up. If I pretend to be hurt and you pretend to heal me - in increasingly erotic ways - she's bound to explode and let something slide. It could put you in danger though."

"I'm pretty sure I can handle Ginny," said Hermione. Her voice dropped even lower. "Though I must say you sound a little too enthusiastic about this plan."

"And you still haven't said no," Harry swooned back. "For a married woman you seem quite open to this action."

"I must admit the idea has its merits, even if Ginny doesn't crack."

Harry and Hermione held a burning gaze for several moments, then Hermione nodded and the ruse began. Harry turned around to face Ginny.

"Let's start this again," he said. "The Bar- aargghh!"

"Harry, what is it now?" asked Hermione theatrically. Harry thought her acting was wonderfully convincing.

"My rib, again," said Harry. "I don't think you healed it properly."

"Let me have another look," she said. "Lift your shirt up."

Harry did as he was told. Hermione caressed his skin and he felt it tingle under her touch. Hermione feigned casting healing spells and muttered something about checking the other side. She ran her fingertips across his abdomen.

"You feel very toned, Harry. Have you been going to the gym again?"

Harry looked at Ginny; her eyes were filled with fury.

"Yeah, only the last few weeks though."

"Mmm, nice," said Hermione. "I can see your ribs have been damaged on this side. Lift your shirt up higher."

"Argh, ooh, that hurts," Harry faked, gingerly lifting his shirt even higher.

"Tell you what, why don't you just take it off completely?" said Hermione. "I can get a proper look at you then."

"Don't you dare, Harry," said Ginny viciously. "Leave my husband alone, you tart."

"Someone has to take care of him," said Hermione. "And it clearly isn't going to be you, is it?"

"What I do with my husband is absolutely none of your business."

"Well perhaps I'm making it my business," Hermione replied coolly. "Ooh, Harry - I can see you've been working on your pecs, too."

Hermione ran her nails across Harry's chest and he let out a little gasp of pleasure. Hermione giggled exaggeratedly while Ginny looked ready to implode.

"You know, I'm really aching down by my waist," said Harry. "Just below my belly button."

"What, here?" said Hermione. She traced her fingertip an inch or so above the drawstring of his pyjamas; as she did so, she flicked her eyes up towards Ginny, giving her the most suggestive look she could muster.

That was it. Ginny howled like a banshee and shot like a dart in Hermione's direction. Harry leapt up and intercepted her, holding her back with some effort.

"You complete and utter whore!" Ginny screamed. "You'll pay for trying to break up my family, you hear? God - if only that useless fool McDonagh had done his job properly you'd be pushing up the daisies right about now!"

Hermione flicked her wand with an almost casual air and powerful binds gripped Ginny's ankles and wrists and pinned her against the wall above the bed. Hermione looked at her with a sort of callous pity. Harry pulled his shirt back on and stood up.

"I told you it would work," he said to Hermione.

"Right as usual," Hermione admitted. "I owe you a beer for that one."

"Who's McDonagh?" Harry asked.

"The guy the Baron sent to kill me," said Hermione. "He didn't know a great deal about the plan; it seemed he only took his orders from Stian - though, clearly, Ginny knows who he is and what he was doing, too."

"Where is he now?" asked Harry.

"Malfoy took him for questioning but he was in a pretty bad state."

"With a bit of luck Malfoy extracted something useful from him then took his worthless life," said Harry. He turned to Ginny. "The jig's up, sweetheart. You might as well just tell me what's going on."

Ginny looked frustrated, as though she knew she'd been had. It took her a few minutes to compose herself before she spoke.

"I didn't know it was going to go this far, Harry, you have to believe that."

"I think we're comfortably passed the stage where I believe anything you have to say," said Harry coldly. "Just tell me as close to the truth as your filthy mouth can get."

"You have to know that I did this for you, for us," said Ginny. "I only ever had your best interests at heart."

"Torturing Harry was in his best interests?" Hermione said lightly. "Pull the other one."

Harry turned to her. "I think it'll be better if I do the talking now. I'm glad you're here but this will be better if I handle it. Ginny - go on. Start by telling me what you know about the Baron."

"I don't know his real name," said Ginny. "He approached me a couple of months ago. Said he had a plan to restore quality to Wizarding life. He didn't tell me what it was."

"What did he ask you to do?"

"Just spy on you basically," said Ginny. "He wanted your daily schedules, places you went, people you met. I would send him things every couple of days via a courier and he would pay me well for the information. It was all really secretive."

"And you went along with this? It didn't bother you that someone was essentially stalking me?" said Harry.

"At first I went along with it, because the Baron brainwashed me into thinking it was for the best, then I tried to pull out," said Ginny. "He started asking me to do other things - plant listening devices in the house, hold onto things that I knew were weapons -"

"You did what!" Harry thundered. "In our house! You exposed our kids to a risk like that! What the hell were you thinking?"

"I know it was stupid but by the time I tried to get out I was in too deep," said Ginny. "I overheard some of his people talking about a plan to overthrow the Government, but I didn't say anything at the time because I thought that there was an opportunity."

"For what?"

Ginny paused before she answered.

"For you to be Minister for Magic."

Harry just stared at her, totally dumfounded. She carried on.

"I thought if I let the plan carry on till almost the end I could confess to you, take you to the Baron, you could stop him and then become Minister because everyone else would be out of the way and you'd be inclined to do it. Everyone would beg you, because you'd saved them, and you wouldn't be able to say no."

"That is, without doubt, the single most insane thing I have ever heard," said Harry. "Why…why - that's all I can say at the moment!"

"Because you've never shown enough ambition, Harry," Ginny explained. "Ever since Fudge its been one bumbling Minister after another. First they sought advice from Dumbledore, then from you. I thought, `what's the point in you advising the Ministers? Why don't you just become the next one?' But you never seemed interested and I thought it was such a waste of your talents. I decided to try and give you a little push and hope your natural modesty would do the rest."

"This just gets better," said Hermione, unable to resist. "It's not about Harry's ambition - its about your own."

"I really didn't think it would go this far," said Ginny. "And as for the torture, I didn't think it would be as bad as it was. I thought I'd struck up an agreement with the Baron for them not to be too hard on you."

"You planned that? You let me be tortured!"

"It was the price I had to pay," Ginny began. "In exchange for keeping you occupied and letting you be tortured as part of it, The Baron agreed to get rid of Hermione for me. She`s wrecked our marriage, Harry - I was angry and wanted her out of the way. You have to believe me that I never wanted them to hurt you like they did, but it had to be real for my plan to work, I had to play along. I had no choice."

"There is always a choice," said Harry feeling a kind of disgust that he`d never before known. "And now I have one of my own to make."

"What choice?"

"I have to decide what the hell to do with you," said Harry. "First, I'm going to see my children. They'll be going spare wondering what's going on, especially James. I have to tell them the hardest truth I've ever had to disclose. Damn you for forcing me into this situation, Ginny."

Harry cast her one more disdainful look before beckoning Hermione to follow him downstairs.

* * *

7:44am, MI5 HQ

The voice on the speaker was grainy and breaking up. Malfoy listened hard to his words.

"The plane is up ahead," the voice said. "I can see at least six men, all well armed. They're unloading the plane; big crates, several of them. There is an armoured SUV just inside the hanger. I cant -"

The speaking ended abruptly.

"Jones? Jones, what's going on?" said Barnes into his headset. There was no reply. He looked gravely at Malfoy.

"There are two possibilities - either his equipment has failed or he is being prevented from responding," said Malfoy.

"I knew he should have waited," said Scott. "Damned! He should never have gone in without back up."

"His risk was brave and necessary," said Malfoy. "He has provided us with some vital information."

"At the cost of his life!" cried Scott.

"That is a distinct possibility," said Malfoy. "And if true, I suggest we don't let his sacrifice be for nothing."

Malfoy made to leave, he was nearly at the door when he stopped. Turning back, he addressed Agent Scott.

"If you're coming with me I suggest you get a move on," he said. "And make sure you bring your gun."

* * *

Padraig Kelly looked over the map laid out in front of him. Declan was running through the quickest routes to their destinations across the country.

"Team A can take the M6 to Manchester," he was saying. "The Arab group is waiting there for our delivery."

"What about the Hungarians?" asked Kelly.

"The shipment arrived at Portsmouth Docks this morning," said Declan. "It should be through clearing in in transit in under an hour."

"Good. We still have to reach the Romanians over in Birmingham. Getting there will be the most tricky. What the hell does he want?"

Kelly frowned as the boundary lookout approached them from the landing strip. He didn't look happy.

"What is it?" asked Kelly.

"I came across an intruder, I had to take him out."

"You killed someone? Why?"

"He was on a walkie-talkie," said the guard. "Sounded like he was telling people about us. He was carrying this."

The guard dropped an ID card onto the map. Kelly's face contorted in rage.

"You killed an MI5 Agent in the middle of an intel report!" he cried. "You idiot!"

"But he was telling them about us!"

"So what? We picked this area because it's remote and away from MI5's clusters of agents. It would have taken them ages to get reinforcements here. We had time to get away. Now they'll be coming in force."

Kelly took out his gun and shot the guard in the head.

"We have to move faster," said Kelly, picking up the dead guard's gun and removing the silencer. "They'll be on their way now. And quickly."

"How did they know we were here?"

"It doesn't matter now," said Kelly. "They know we're here, that's all that`s important. We have to move out as soon as possible."

"Wont they still take time to get here?" asked Declan.

"Not as long as you think," said Kelly. "The Baron said that MI5 has a wizard on their staff. If that's true then they could be here at any time. We have to get moving as soon as possible. Don't spare the whip, Declan."

* * *

7:48am, Zante

Harry entered the living room to a cacophony of questions. Raising his hand to silence everyone he slowly made his way to the table and sat down. All the events of the night were starting to impact upon him and for the first time since it had all began he felt truly exhausted. He took a tired breath and looked around at them all, registered the eagerness and anxiety on their faces. He turned to Hermione.

"I need to speak with my children," he said quietly.

Hermione nodded. "Celesca - why don't we take a walk?"

Celesca stood up and looked at James. He was on the verge of protesting but Celesca smiled at him and he knew she had to leave. Reassured, James nodded in understanding and watched Aunt Hermione lead Celesca outside.

"I know you'll likely tell her everything but this first discussion we need to have alone," said Harry, reading his son's thoughts.

"What's going on, Dad?" asked Albus.

"Where to begin?" said Harry. He removed his glasses and rubbed his eyes. "Its all so crazy."

"Just tell us what she did," said James.

"What who did?" asked Harry and Albus together.

"Mum. I know she's got something to do with this," James replied.

"How did you know that?" asked Harry.

"Know what?" asked Albus. "What's going on?"

"James?"

"Celesca said Mum looked at her in a really nasty way," said James. "Like she wanted to hurt her. She wasn't in any pain, was she? All that screaming was just put on, wasn't it? Celesca could tell."

Harry sighed again. "It seems your girlfriend is full of surprises. Intuition as well as brains; quite impressive."

"Then she was right," said James. He had accepted the truth but hearing his father confirm it cut to him in the deepest way. "What has she done?"

"She let those people in here tonight," said Harry. "This was her doing."

"She let the ones in who hurt you!" said Albus quietly. "She cant have."

"I know its hard to hear, boys," said Harry. "I've tried to ignore it myself, but my body aches as testimony to it."

"Why Dad?" asked James. "Why would she do that?"

"It seems there's some sort of conspiracy going on back at home," said Harry. "A rogue Dark Wizard is trying to take over the world why I'm on holiday. Or something like that. Your mother is part of it somehow; she had to keep me occupied out here while the plan unfolded at home."

"That's nuts," said James. "Why would she get involved in that?"

"Apparently she thought I could save the world at the last minute and would have to become Minister for Magic," said Harry. "Everyone else would have been bumped off and I'd have no choice. She always fancied being First Witch of the Wizengamot- I just didn't think she`d ever go this far to get it."

"She's lost her mind," said James, shaking his head. "So, what are you going to do?"

"That's why I'm talking to the pair of you," said Harry. He turned to James. "As the oldest I suspect you'll understand this better; I cant properly interrogate your mother, not like I should. I've loved her for as long as I can remember and I just cant bring myself to do it, despite what she's done. That's why I need your advice."

"Advice? On what?"

"On what to do," said Harry. "After what she's done - not just to me, but to you three and whatever danger the world at large is now in - I don't think I can ever forgive her."

"Are you going to split up?" asked Albus quietly.

Harry looked sadly at his son. "Your mother and I have been having problems for some time. This may be the iron bar that broke the camel's back. I can't bear to be around her right now. That's why I want your advice - on what to do with her. She's your mother and at this point I think you probably love her more than I do. I want you to decide how we act."

"She cant be allowed to get away with it," said James sternly. "She has to be punished."

"James! How can you say that! She's our mother!"

"What kind of mother puts her kids lives in danger?" said James angrily. "Not just that, but if she is part of a plot then that's an act of treason. She has to answer for that."

"You do know what you're saying, James?" said Harry slowly.

"If you cant punish her, Dad, someone else has to," said James.

"Why are you being so horrible?" said Albus, tears running down her face. "You cant do this to Mum."

"But you think what she did to Dad - what she could have done to us - is okay?"

"James, you have to be sure before you make this decision," said Harry. "There wont be any turning back once its done."

"Dad, she could have hurt Celesca," said James quietly, feeling the guilt of it all swell up in him again. "You say you cant forgive her for what she's done; well, I couldn't have forgiven her, or myself, if she done anything to Celesca. I know you'll say I'm too young, but I l-love her. More than anything. You say I'm too young to know what love is but if anything had happened to her I really don't know what I would have done."

Harry smiled fondly at James. "I would never say that you aren't in love, son. Anyone who's seen you and Celesca together knows that. Anybody who knew what love looked like would recognise it in you."

"Then you know why I'm telling you to do this," said James. "You cant forgive Mum for what she's done - I can't forgive her for what she wanted to do."

"James! You cant!" wailed Albus. "I like Celesca, too, but Mum wouldn't really have hurt her."

"You didn't see her, Al!" cried James angrily. "You didn't see Dad's wounds. If Aunt Hermione hadn't come he might be dead, and we'd be next. Mum might have spared her own kids but I bet she wouldn't have thought twice about getting rid of Celesca. I can't forgive that. I can't stop hearing Dad's screams in my head. Aunt Hermione fixed Dad's injuries but I can still see them."

"Why are you calling her Aunt Hermione?" spat Albus, taking on that vile tone again. "You'll be calling her Mum soon enough, probably."

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" said James.

"You think I don't know what's really going on because I'm younger?" said Albus waspishly. "I'm not stupid."

"You're doing a good impression of it," said James. "What are you on about?"

"All that stuff a few months ago," said Albus. "That stuff with Rita Skeeter and her book; all that stuff about Dad and Auntie Hermione - funny how that all just disappeared. Only it didn't, did it? I heard Mum and Dad arguing about it; Mum crying to Uncle Ron about that same thing - its not hard to work out. They`ve been having an affair for ages and now I'm expected to believe its just coincidence that Hermione shows up when we`re on holiday. I bet they planned it all so they could get married."

"You've gone too far now, Albus," said Harry. Each syllable was deep and weighted. Albus quelled under his father's firm stare. "Your mother and I have been having problems for quite some time, they started far before those events at the start of the year. They have no bearing on what's going on now, and even if they did it's hardly an excuse."

"I just don't want you to do anything to Mum," said Albus quietly. "Not because of Hermione."

"Hermione has nothing to do with this," said Harry. "This is your mother's doing. Hermione arrived here tonight with information on what's going on back home. As Secret Keeper to the villa she's the only one who could have told me."

"But why her? Why not make Uncle Ron or someone else Secret Keeper, whatever that is?"

"Ron is on a highly dangerous undercover mission," said Harry. "If he had been captured and cracked under interrogation we'd have been in danger. As it was, your mother put us all in danger anyway."

"It could have been Aunt Hermione."

"Stop it, Albus," said James. "That's enough."

"He's right to suggest it, James," said Harry. "But the fact is your mother has confessed to her crimes. She has to be punished for them, I just can't do it myself. I know its hard for you to understand, Al, but it's the only right thing to do."

"You're just angry because of what she's done, James too," said Albus desperately. "Maybe she's sorry for it all and wants to make amends."

"No, son, I don't think she is," said Harry softly. "She wanted your Aunt to be killed. Despite what you think of her, would you want that?"

Albus looked solemnly at his father. For a moment Harry thought he saw a trace of Ginny's malice in his eye, but then it was gone.

"No," he said in a little voice. "No, of course I wouldn't."

"Then you know we have to do this," said James, trying to be consoling. "She has to be punished."

Albus looked forlornly at James, then at Harry, before closing his eyes and nodding his head. Another silent tear rolled down his face. Harry got up to comfort him, but looked over at James.

"You're sure about this? Remember, no turning back."

"I'm sure, Dad," said James firmly. "Send her to Azkaban."

Harry nodded and with his eyes closed James marvelled at how much he and Al looked alike. He felt a shudder at what he'd just done, effectively condemning his mother to the wizard prison. But he couldn't shake the feeling that it was the right thing to do. He could see Celesca stood in conversation with Aunt Hermione outside the veranda doors; imagining her beautiful face cut and scarred, like he'd seen his father's, or devoid of life chilled him to his soul. It reinforced the sensation that he had no choice, though he was livid at his mother for making it that way.

That thought brought to James's mind a concept Albus raised in their row: Aunt Hermione as his mother. Naturally resistant to the idea at first, it had lodged itself in James's mind. He knew it would never happen, as she was married, but the idea of her being there for advice and comfort whenever he needed it held an appeal that James felt he liked a little more than was healthy.

* * *

7:53am, an airfield near Cardiff

Malfoy righted himself and glanced at Scott. The MI5 agent was staggering slightly and clutching his chest. Malfoy smirked; clearly Side-Along Apparition wasn't the most comfortable form of transport.

"That's how you people get around?" said Scott. "We're definitely getting a flight back to London."

"Stop being such a baby," said Malfoy. "We're here now and we have a job to do."

"How do you think we should play this?"

"Simple," said Malfoy. "We go in, capture him and grill him for what he knows."

"That could take time," said Scott. "This guy is ex-French Foreign Legion, they're tough hombres. He wont break easily."

"You clearly haven't seen what I can do," said Malfoy.

"You can cause him pain, I can cause him pain," said Scott. "If he's well drilled it will be difficult to crack him. And that wont get us anywhere."

"Then what do you suggest?"

"Taking him in now is pointless," said Scott. "If we'd apprehended him in Ireland it would have been different, but he's here now. I think we should conduct recon. Follow him, see where he goes. Update MI5 so they can mobilise on the ground. Chances are he'll have people waiting for whatever cargo they've brought with them."

"So you think we should just follow them and let them lead us to those other groups?"

"You have a problem with that?"

"No," said Malfoy reluctantly. "It's a sound plan."

"Good. I'll radio into MI5 let them know what we're doing," said Scott. "And I need to have a go at Director Barnes for not telling me how awful that Spectre Travelling is."

"Its Apparition, you oaf," said Malfoy.

"Whatever," replied Scott. "Just keep watch over that ridge."

* * *

7:57am Azkaban Wizard Prison.

Harry turned away as Ginny was being processed. The icy chill created by the Dementors inside barely penetrated the thick stone walls, but it mixed with Harry's heavy heart and brought a depression to him that was hard to take. He was glad Hermione was with him; she was taking care of everything and Harry only had to endure Ginny's repeated pleas for mercy from afar.

"HARRY! Please! I'm sorry, don't do this."

Harry felt hot tears before he could stop them. He walked even further away as the emotion overcame him. His breath caught as it rose and fell rapidly in his throat, joining with silent sobs which made his whole body convulse. He felt beyond awful, beyond evil for what he was doing and even his conviction that it had to be done didn't dent the sensation. Suddenly he felt smooth, warm hands slide around his shoulders and he was being turned around into an embrace.

Hermione held him tenderly and cradled his head. Tears flowed ever more freely as the spectrum of Harry's emotions from the last hour released themselves into her shoulder. She didn't speak, not even to soothe him, allowing him to simply let out everything that he was holding inside. It was several minutes before Harry was master of himself to speak.

"Is it…is it done?"

"It's done," said Hermione gently. She dried the streaks of Harry's tears with the pad of her thumb and kissed his head. "It's going to be alright."

"If I forget to tell you how glad I am you're here -"

"Then I'll know you're back to normal," said Hermione. "I know it probably isn't any consolation, but I think you're doing the only thing you could."

"I know it, but it's the hardest thing I've ever had to do, said Harry.

"I know, I know," said Hermione. She drew Harry close to her again as though sensing another bought of tears was on the horizon. It served to galvanise him.

"We have to go back, we have to stop this Baron bloke," he said.

"There are other people who can deal with that for now," said Hermione. "We have another things to deal with first."

"Such as?"

"Your kids, for a start," said Hermione. "They can't be taking this well. They'll need their father right now."

"I know," said Harry. "Albus has taken it pretty hard, he blames me for all this."

"And me, I suspect," said Hermione. "He gave me a choice look or two before we left."

"He'll come around," said Harry. "He's at that age where he still hasn't learnt how complicated life can be."

"I don't think anyone truly realises that, Harry," said Hermione. "Just look at what's happened today."

"I'd rather not, just yet," said Harry. "Come on, lets get moving. I cant explain this all to the kids just now. But we have to get them somewhere safe. Whatever this plot is all about has just cost me my marriage and I'll be damned if whoever's behind it gets away with it."

"We'll stop them, Harry," said Hermione. "We always made a formidable team. This Baron has picked the wrong fight today."

He recognised her firmness as the solidarity she'd shown him for the entirety of their relationship. He loved it about her and it brought to him a sense of hope that things, however bad they were now, would eventually get better. He stroked her face tenderly and together they Apparated back to Greece.

8:00am

-->