Unofficial Portkey Archive

The White Elixir by Wizardora
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The White Elixir

Wizardora

-Chapter Seven

The following takes place between 8:00am and 9:00am on the day of the Wizengamot Ministerial election.

Events occur in real time

8:01am

Ron Weasley moved quietly through the dimly lit hall, making sure to keep firmly within the shadows created by the high walls on the right hand side. Across the way, doors set into deep alcoves buzzed with activity; voices filtered out, machines whirred and all manner of other strange noises meshed together to form a sort of collective drone. This was the Factory, and it was here that all the Baron's plans had been born.

Ron tried to listen as closely to the voices as he could. Each room was dedicated to a different part of the plan, though nobody but the Baron could enter all of them. Special charms had been cast on the doors to scramble the voices inside but Ron listened hard anyway, hoping to catch a break. After all, he'd once spoken Parseltongue by taking a chance - maybe he'd strike lucky again.

Not that he could concentrate wholly on the task at hand. His conversation with Luna and her disclosures about her daughter kept running through his mind. He felt sorry that she had been drawn into this; at least he'd gone in with his eyes open, as it was his job after all. Poor Luna was just another pawn being used to enforce the secrecy about the bigger plan.

Ron moved along again. He was about halfway down the long corridor when clear voices reached his ears. He perked up and hurried silently towards them, adrenaline stirring within him. This was the mistake he'd been hoping for. He reached a door which hadn't been shut and sealed properly; it seemed that small pieces of debris fallen from the run-down walls had kept the door ajar. Ron hid in the shadows of the alcove to listen to the conversation inside.

"What did he say?" said one voice.

"He said they killed a Muggle Intelligence agent," said a second.

"Chances are MI5 will know about that by now," said the first. "Malfoy will surely be on his way."

Ron tensed up in the alcove. He'd never warmed to Malfoy, despite Harry softening to his old adversary. The mention of his name still generated in him a gutteral disgust.

"Have you told Kelly to watch out for Malfoy?" the first voice was saying.

"He already knows," said the second. "But I did tell him to be extra vigilant. I'd ask the Baron for specific instructions but he's yet to return from his jaunt out."

"Do you know where he went?"

"Nope, none of my business. Probably killed a few people on the way, mind."

"Maybe that's why he went out," said the first voice. "Maybe it's been so long since he killed someone he just fancied a bit of murder."

"If that's true he'll get plenty of satisfaction today," said the second speaker. "Mind you, if the Muggles screw up it could make life a little harder. Don't know why we're even involved with them."

"Probably need someone to blame if it goes wrong," said the first voice. "A pack of useless Muggles make the perfect patsies."

"Well as long as they keep doing okay, we shouldn't have a problem. They're pretty good at blowing things up and right now they are on target."

"Look, that's door's open there," said the first voice. "Get over there and close it. If the Baron comes back and sees it open we'll be whipped like crazy. You remember how bad a state Dremora was left in?"

Ron backed away slowly as a silhouetted figure grew larger in the lighted window of the door. It scraped closed and shut with a little click. Ron moved quickly along the rest of the corridor feeling he had just enough new information to think on and wondering if he'd be able to get lucky again.

* * *

8:04am, an airfield outside Cardiff

Agent Scott looked through his binoculars at the movements around the hangar a few hundred feet away. He and Draco Malfoy had located the body of Agent Jones; the bullet-wound in the back of his head confirming Scott's worst suspicions about the Agent's fate. They had taken his body back towards the access road - or rather Malfoy had hovered the body back there by magic - and found his specially modified Land Rover. Scott and driven the car up to a ridge and now he and Malfoy were sat in the front seats watching the activity of Padraig Kelly and his men.

"I wish we could hear what they're discussing," said Scott. "Don't you know any bits of hocus pocus for that?"

Malfoy smirked. "Of course I do. I'm just sitting here twiddling my thumbs for the joys of your company, Scott."

"If you can do something, why don't you do it? Be useful instead of annoying."

"Magic can do many things, but - like your binoculars there - it has rules. Without modifying their voices directly there is no way we can hear their conversation from here. I know this is your first brush with magic; Muggles always think there must be a magical solution to every problem. Unfortunately, magic has its limits, too."

"You might find this hard to believe," said Scott, "but I know a thing or two about magic."

"You're right, Scott," said Malfoy. "I do find it hard to believe that you know as many as two things."

"Very funny," said Scott. "I'm being serious."

"As am I."

"I had a run-in with one of you magic types before," said Scott.

Malfoy sighed resignedly. "Look, Scott, if you have a story to tell me - and you insist on telling it - please get to it quickly."

"It's only now I've put it together," said Scott. "I knew a girl, years ago; she was a friend of a friend and we got on quite well. Then one morning, I woke up at my friends house after a party and I was madly in love with this girl. I couldn't stop thinking about her. I was totally besotted; she was my first thought when I woke and the last thing I focused on before sleep. I practically followed her around for two years, then suddenly I just stopped loving her. Just like that."

Malfoy sniggered. "Sounds like a love potion to me."

"That's what she said," Scott continued. "Said she was a witch and that I'd been under her spell, but she had grown tired of the deceit and hoped I might love her naturally by then. I left her because she was so weird, but later I started to miss her."

"Touching," said Malfoy. "This is a very heart-rending story but do you actually have a point?"

"It's just curious that if you magic-folk can do such powerful things why the hell would you need a regular crook like Kelly?"

"We don't know that this situation and the one developing in my world are connected," said Malfoy. "All we know is that Algeron is tied to both Kelly and Wizard crime gangs. These things could be independent."

"Kelly chooses today to risk coming to England? You think that`s a coincidence?"

"We're in Wales, Scott. Your geography clearly isn't one of your many strengths."

"You know what I meant," Scott snapped back. "And you didn't answer my question."

"If I thought it was a coincidence would I really be stuck in this car enjoying your riveting conversation?" said Malfoy. "Algeron has worked with Kelly and was sent to confirm the killing of the wizard in Barnet. Chances are he was sent by, or at least reports directly to, the rogue Dark Wizard behind the plot. There is a link between Kelly and the Baron, one I hope to exploit by using it to find the Baron before he enacts his endgame."

"And if you're wrong?"

Malfoy looked gravely at Agent Scott. "Then I hold out almost no hope of stopping this villain before he carries out his plan; a plan which required the elimination of the two most powerful people in Wizarding society. Whatever is going to happen must be stopped; if we fail the consequences for both our worlds would be dire."

* * *

8:10am, Zante

Harry watched as Hermione bustled around from room to room, readying the children to leave the villa. He admired her; she was so in control, purposeful and with a genuine plan of action. He envied it. He could barely collect his scattered thoughts as musings on each dreadful event chased each other through his mind. Hermione stopped as she was making another cross of the landing; Harry knew she'd seen him watching her and she smiled at him as she moved into the girls bedroom.

Celesca was in there alone finishing up Lily's packing. Her own trunk was already full of her neatly folded clothes and assorted cosmetics and toiletries. She was just throwing Lily's socks next to her favourite teddy bear when Hermione entered.

"Is everything nearly ready?" she asked.

"Almost," said Celesca. "Just a few bits and bobs and we'll be all done."

"Thank you, Celesca," said Hermione. "You've been a real help."

"It's nothing," said Celesca shyly.

"I don't count saving Harry's life as nothing," said Hermione. "If no-one's thought to thank you for what you did tonight let me be the first to do so. It was very brave of you."

"James would've done something anyway," said Celesca. "I couldn't have him go charging in on his own, all hot-headed. You know what I mean."

Hermione chuckled. "Oh yes, more than you probably realise."

Celesca bit her lip at Hermione's words, chewing over a thought in her mind. Hermione noticed the change in her and pressed her to ask whatever question it was she was pondering.

"It's quite personal, Mrs Weasley," said Celesca. "I wouldn't want to cause offence."

Hermione felt her own air alter. Curious as to what might offend her she assured Celesca that she could ask whatever was on her mind without concern.

"Well, its just that I've been thinking over what Albus has been saying," said Celesca cautiously. "I was just wondering if there's anything in it?"

"I'm sorry, Celesca, but I really don't think that's any of your business."

"Well there we disagree," said Celesca firmly. "You see, I was part of all those events six months ago - I saw how James took all those disclosures about you and his father's past relationship. I was there to pick up the pieces of his confusion, his guilt, the shattered image of the family he so adores. If he's going to go through that again I think I have a right to know, to be forewarned."

"Why would you expect anything to happen now?" said Hermione, a little taken aback by Celesca's forthrightedness. "You were privy to all the details, all the reasons to why Harry and I made the choices we did."

"Only now those reasons are null and void," said Celesca. "With Mrs Potter in jail there's bound to be a temptation to take advantage of that opportunity."

"How can you say such a thing! You're forgetting I'm married and have two children."

"James thinks we're really alike," said Celesca, continuing regardless. "It irks me sometimes that he always compares me to you. The problem is he tends to be right a lot of the time. And if you feel for his father what I feel for James, then I know how I'd view a development like this. Then again, that's the major point on where we differ, Mrs Weasley - I single-mindedly go for what I want. I'd never have been able to live with the decision you made about Mr Potter. To be without James would be like being without air."

Hermione sat down looking drained. Celesca suddenly felt awful, like she'd overstepped her boundaries. She sat down next to her and waited, ready to be comforting. When Hermione spoke her voice was strained.

"Can I give you one piece of advice, Celesca?" she asked. Celesca nodded. "Don't ever let James go. Don't let anything come between you. For twenty years that's all I've done, Harry too. It's been worse, and harder, than either of us could have imagined and I doubt we'd ever confess just how hard to each other."

"I didn't mean to sound petulant or like I was judging you, Mrs Weasley," said Celesca. "I just know how difficult this could be and I'm worried for James."

"I know you are, its very sweet to see," said Hermione, smiling. "I really like having someone watch over him so intently. He is my favourite nephew - though don't tell him that. His ego is quite large enough as it is!"

"I know, though that's partly my fault," said Celesca reticently. "I indulge his vanity far more than I ought to."

"As any good girlfriend should," said Hermione, still grinning. "The truth is I don't know what will happen between Harry and I. It isn't like this possibility has just emerged overnight."

"What do you mean?"

Hermione looked at Celesca, sizing her up. Satisfied, she continued.

"Six months ago, when all those revelations came out, it drew Harry and I closer than we'd been for many years. We had to work together for the first time in ages and I don't think either of us anticipated the effect it would have. We found that we had missed each other far more intensely than either of us had realised. I think we'd just conditioned ourselves to be numb around each other. Being brought together in such an intimate way again switched on an otherwise dormant something that we've been either unable - or unwilling - to switch back off."

"Then Albus was right? You have been having an affair?"

"It feels that way," said Hermione. "We haven't done anything about it but we've been seeing each other a lot more, making excuses to spend more time together or talk in secret. You understand, I expect, that magical sensation you get being around James that I feel when I'm with Harry."

"He's like an addiction," said Celesca, nodding. "And there's never enough of him, no matter how much time I spend with him I still pine at the times when we're apart."

"Imagine that magnified," said Hermione. "Harry and I have been apart for so long every time we're together now its like we're trying to make up for lost time. There's always a fear that we wont have enough time to make it right."

"But you have children, its makes your situation very different."

"And more difficult," said Hermione. "I love my children and Harry's children so much; the prospect of hurting them all has been the main reason that has stopped Harry and I from just eloping."

"You were going to elope?" asked Celesca.

"I thought about it, just before my wedding," said Hermione, smiling girlishly. Celesca hitched up her knees, waiting for the story. "When Harry told me how he felt for me, and I for him, I seriously thought about running away. A few times I nearly asked him, but I was afraid to."

"Why?"

"I was afraid he'd say yes," said Hermione. "And I think he might have. But our lives were here; we'd have either had to uproot all we'd ever known or face a world where everyone close to us shunned us. It would have been worth it, and Harry would have endured it, but I really thought he'd had enough of that sort of thing. We'd still be together, after all, albeit as less then we wanted."

"I couldn't do that," said Celesca shaking her head. "Not even for a day."

"I was glad he didn't come to my wedding though," Hermione went on. Celesca gasped but Hermione shushed her. "It was the best way. He was supposed to give Ron the rings but asked Ron's brother, George, to do it. Made up some flimsy excuse not to be there, but he clearly had no intention of going or he wouldn't have handed over the rings; in truth, if I'd seen Harry there I might not have been able to go through with it."

"So what did he do?"

"He never said, used the Head Auror Secrecy Act to hide where he really was."

They sat for a moment in quiet contemplation; Hermione reminiscing, Celesca thinking about what would happen next.

"You know, I think half of James will be okay with this," said Celesca presently. "He really likes you; I suspect the idea of you being his Mum doesn't exactly bother him."

"He's a good boy," said Hermione smiling, Celesca could tell, at the idea. "Though that prospect is highly improbable. It would be a little Freudian though, wouldn't it?"

They shared a knowing grin.

"I have to go and check on the others, make sure James and Al haven't killed each other yet," said Hermione. She left Celesca alone and made her way to the master bedroom.

Harry was sat on the bed when Hermione entered. His trunk was packed haphazardly; clothes spewed out at different angles and had no order at all. Hermione set them to rights with one deft flick of her wand. She sat down next to Harry.

"How's everyone?" he asked.

"They're okay," said Hermione. "James and Al are still squabbling over who's to blame for all this and Celesca's taking care of Lily."

"You were in with her for a long time," said Harry. "What were you talking about?"

"This and that," said Hermione evasively. "In any case, what were you doing spying on me?"

"I like watching you walk," said Harry winking.

"Your wife's not been in Azkaban half an hour and you're already flirting," said Hermione.

"What can I say? I don't like time wasting," said Harry. "Could you grab my shoes, for me?"

"You just want to watch me cross the room, don't you?" said Hermione, standing up anyway. She walked to the window under which Harry's shoes were hidden beneath last night's socks and trousers. "Oi! Don't whistle at me, cheeky."

Hermione looked around expecting to exchange little smiles with Harry but instead, disappointingly, found him rummaging under the bed.

"What are you doing?"

"It wasn't me whistling," said Harry. Another whistle sounded in the air, louder than the first and Harry emerged holding a small leather-bound book.

"What is that?" asked Hermione, dropping the shoes and going over.

"Let's take a look," said Harry. He opened the front page. Words were staring up at him.

Ginny, I'm waiting for an update report. You're late

Harry and Hermione looked at each other, then down at the book. It whistled again and more words appeared.

The torture should be over by now. If Potter didn't confess he and your kids should be dead. Where are you?

Harry fumed at the words and even Hermione uttered a curse or two.

"This must be how they're communicating," said Harry. "Ginny's been getting her orders via this."

"You think this goes to the Baron?"

"Who else?" said Harry.

"Hey Harry - we could use this!" said Hermione excitedly.

"Yeah, we could use it to find out where the Baron is and stop him," said Harry.

"No, Harry, that wouldn't work," said Hermione. "If we go asking things like that the Baron will know something is up. He'll just destroy the book as soon as he knows."

"Then what should we do?"

"He doesn't know what's happened to Ginny yet," said Hermione. "We could use that. We could pretend to be her. It'll buy us time to move around undetected. Hey - it might even be an idea to let him think you're dead."

"Problem there is he'll want proof," said Harry. "When those two assassins don't turn up he'll get suspicious. Though I agree we might have a better chance of success if I don't appear to be actively involved."

"Let's just answer him," said Hermione. "He could give us-as-Ginny more instructions. We might get a clue as to where he's going next."

"Do you have a quill?" Harry asked. Hermione conjured one from thin air. "What shall I write?"

"Maybe I should do it," said Hermione. "You need a cool head for this and right now you don't have one."

Harry knew she was right and handed over the quill.

* * *

8:18am, Gringotts Wizards Bank, Diagon Alley

The crowd which had gathered at the far end of Diagon Alley waited patiently for the arrival of the man for whom they had assembled. Mostly these people were journalists, though there were a number among the throng from opposing political camps and a smattering of the general populous who had gravitated towards the large podium and swelling crowd to see what all the fuss was about. Presently, Lucien Carlton arrived flanked by half a dozen hefty security trolls and a consignment of Aurors. There were more Aurors milling about in the crowd.

Tom Kennedy made his way to the podium. He stared around at the assembled faces below him; somehow they all seemed swarthy and dangerous. It was as if being outside and facing the hitherto hinted-at threats had suddenly made them that much more real. Photographers with their large flash bulbs stood ready; journalists waited with pads and quills and a sea of faces looked up, Tom afraid of each and every one.

"Ladies and gentleman," he said to the crowd. "The Right Honourable Gamot, Lucien Carlton."

Polite applause accompanied Carlton to the stage. Tom Kennedy slipped into the entourage and wondered if he dared to go any further. The fear which had gripped him on the podium was nothing like he'd ever known. It would be so easy to slip away now, to simply vanish down Knockturn Alley and never be heard from again. The street was only a few paces away and Kennedy was edging for it before he could stop himself.

Carlton was talking about tax reforms on the stage; Kennedy knew the speech by heart and the last rehearsal of it was still playing over in his mind. He followed the words in his head as Carlton delivered each one clearly and crisply. He was just reaching the part about allowing tax breaks for poorer families when a pause in the rhetoric caused Tom to halt on his escape route to Knockturn Alley. Carlton was saying something unfamiliar, something they hadn't gone through a dozen times together.

"I'm sorry but questions will have to wait until later," Carlton was saying.

"This isn't a question," a gruff voice replied. "The Red Baron says hello."

Tom turned in time to see the beginning of the melee. It stated with the speaker reaching for a button on the podium and was quickly followed by an Auror darting forwards. He pushed Carlton towards the marble steps of the bank as an explosion ripped through the podium.

Pandemonium followed. Fire leapt from inside the wooden structure, burning the banners attached to it, which twisted and melted in the heat. Then the screams came. The photographers and journalists nearest the podium were hit in the blast and were dead before their bodies, or parts of them, hit the floor. The others scrambled for safety away from the explosion, running and yelling, some crying. The chaos filled the place as people rushed to escape the scene.

Tom yanked himself free from the hoarding plate which had flattened him. His robes were on fire and he tried to pull them off in a panic, eventually ripping the hem and tossing the smouldering section away. He darted through the crowd, feeling like a fish swimming upstream into a current. He reached the foot of the steps, span around the flaming podium and scrambled across the scattered debris towards the place where Lucien should have been.

The Auror who had pushed him to safety was pinning Carlton down. His face had been blown completely off and the disgusting sight of his featureless visage was something Tom was sure would haunt him for years. He hauled the body away and checked for Carlton's pulse. It was there, albeit very faint.

"I need a Healer over here!" Kennedy called. "And security. The Gamot is still alive!"

Immediately two of the burly security trolls arrived and flanked Kennedy and Carlton. Within a minute or two a Healer was thrown before Kennedy by another troll.

"Will he live?" asked Kennedy as the Healer inspected Carlton.

"Difficult to say, he's very weak," the Healer replied. "We have to get him to St Mungo's."

Tom drew his wand and lifted Carlton into the air. The trolls, and what was left of the Auror escort, formed a corridor through which Kennedy hurried through in the wake of the Healer as they made their way as quickly as possible to the Wizarding hospital.

* * *

8:25am, MI5 HQ

Agent Jenny Miller entered the ladies bathroom and closed the door. She quickly checked all the cubicles for occupants; they were all empty and she choose for herself the last one in the row. Once inside, she took out her mobile phone and dialled a number. After a few rings a voice, with a deep Irish accent, answered on the other end.

"What is it?"

"I have news for you, Kelly. You're being watched."

"I already know that," said Kelly.

"No, you don't understand," said Miller. "There are Agents with you now."

"You're sure?"

"Positive. Agent Scott and the Shadow Agent, Malfoy, are in your area. They just radioed in."

"Do you have their position?" asked Kelly.

"A ridge, due west of the hangar," said Miller. "I'm uploading a satellite grab of their position. They are in an armoured Land Rover."

Miller heard Kelly give orders to check out the position.

"Right, I have the image," said Kelly. "How did they get here so damned fast?"

"Malfoy's a wizard, how should I know how he does things?"

"Because you're our inside man," said Kelly. "This is your job."

"Getting near the Shadow Agent is impossible," Miller protested. "I've been here five years and I hadn't seen him till today. Actually, he's quite fit; dark and broody. Just my type."

"You can shag him later, as long as you kill him afterwards," said Kelly. "Right now I need to know what they know."

"Just that Jones is dead," said Miller. "They're going to watch you and follow you when you leave. You have to do something to get away unseen."

"Leave that to me," said Kelly. "Have you scrambled the satellite feed?"

"Already sorted," said Miller. A noise distracted her. "Look, someone's coming in here. I have to go. I'll be in touch."

She ended the call and left her cubicle calmly. Cara, a junior analyst, was just entering the bathroom. They exchanged the usual pleasantries as they passed but Jenny couldn't help but be unsettled by the suspicious look Cara had given her. Had she heard anything? Jenny hoped not; Cara was a sweet little thing and it would be such a shame if Jenny was forced to kill her.

* * *

8:29am, The Burrow

Rose dived up as Hermione emerged from her Apparition, clobbering her mother with a hug that Harry thought she must have inherited from her grandmother. Molly Weasley followed suit, hugging her daughter-in-law tightly and demanding to know what was going on. There was too much emotion for an immediate explanation and Harry and Arthur exchanged knowing looks, then tried to usher the kids to bed. As was the habit of them all, though, none were prepared to go without a whole host of questions being answered first.

"Where are you going to go?" asked James.

"Where have you been?" asked Rose.

"What's going to happen to Mum?" asked Albus.

"Something's happened to Ginny? What is it?" asked Molly.

Harry raised a hand to silence them all. "James, I want you to make sure Albus and Lily get some rest. Do it now. I'm counting on you to do this."

"That's not going to happen," said Albus, mutinously.

"You'll do as I tell you, young man," said Harry sternly. "Unless you want me to deal with you."

Harry tapped his wand pointedly and Albus muttered a clenched-teeth `fine' and stomped from the room. James followed, holding the door for Celesca, who was carrying Lily.

"Rosie, you go to, honey," said Hermione, disentangling herself from her daughter.

"But, Mum, where have you been? What's going on?" asked Rose.

"I'll explain it all a little later," said Hermione. "Just do what I say now, okay?"

"Alright, Mum," said Rose, compliant as ever. As soon as she'd left the room and only the adults remained, Molly rounded on Harry.

"Don't think you can dismiss us quite as easily," she said. "What's happened with Ginny? Where is she?"

"I think we'd all better sit down," said Hermione.

"Why would I want to sit down?" said Molly, her agitation rising. "Nothing good ever gets said once you're told to sit down."

Harry looked at Arthur again. "Perhaps, we should sit down, dear? And how about a cup of tea?"

"How can you think of tea with such mysteries going on?" said Molly, ever more shrilly.

"Actually, I'd love a cuppa," said Harry.

"Me, too," said Hermione, hoping to start a trend by taking a seat.

"Shall I do the honours?" said Arthur. The years Harry had known him hadn't dimmed the tiredness in his voice. He waved his wand and four plain ceramic cups materialised along with a brown tea pot, which began pouring tea of its own accord. Harry sat down and the others finally followed suit.

"So, we have tea," said Molly. "Now are you going to tell us what's going on?"

"It isn't easy to say," said Harry.

"Or easy to hear," added Hermione.

"So, it's finally come, has it?" said Molly sharply. "Are the divorce papers filed yet?"

Harry, Hermione and Arthur just stared at her. Arthur voiced what they were all thinking.

"What in Merlin's name are you on about, woman?"

"It's fairly clear, isn't it?" said Molly. "They've come here to tell us they're divorcing Ron and Ginny and getting married."

"Don't mind her," said Arthur. "She's going a little batty in her old age."

"Arthur Weasley I can still give you a run for your money," said Molly.

"Of course you can, Mollywobbles," said Arthur dismissively. He turned to Harry. "How about some sense, old man?"

"Like I said, Arthur, you wont like hearing this," said Harry. He began to explain, slowly at first but more vigorously with Hermione's prompting, all that had happened and all they had learned regarding Ginny. At first, neither of his in-laws believed a word of it, but their opinions slowly turned as Harry revealed the scars which remained from his torture.

"Oh my god, my poor Ginny," said Molly, weepily. "What could have possessed her to do such a thing?"

"Believe me, Molly, I wish something had possessed her, with all my heart I wish it," said Harry. "But I could find no trace of the Imperius Curse or any other controlling spells on her. As far as I can tell she was acting of her own free will."

"But why, Harry? Why now?" asked Arthur, who had turned the pale grey of old porridge.

"All I can think is that with the election today it provided a transition period that was perfect to exploit, even for her mad caper" said Harry. "That's probably why this threat facing us is taking place today, too. Its all connected."

"And you can't tell us anymore about it?" asked Molly. "You can't use it to explain why Ginny has done these awful things? Harry - I know how much she loved you and the kids; you can't think she's acted like this without some interference with her?"

"I don't know what to think, Molly," said Harry. "All I know is that she allowed me to be tortured, was prepared to allow me and the kids to be killed and is in league with Dark Wizards. Aside from that little else matters."

Arthur took off his glasses and rubbed his lined eyes. Molly let fresh tears flow from her own.

"What will you do now?" asked Arthur eventually.

"Clearly we have to deal with this threat," said Harry. "But this has to remain utterly secret. No-one can know we've been here or what we've told you. Right now, The Baron thinks I'm at Ginny's mercy. The longer he thinks that, the more time I'll get to counteract him without him being aware of me."

"You can, of course, count on our support, Harry," said Arthur. "What can we do?"

"Nothing more complex than to look after the kids," said Harry. "With Hogwarts still out of term time there isn't anywhere safer I'd rather leave the children."

"We'll take care of them," said Molly. "But you will try and find a way to clear Ginny's name?"

Harry took her hand. "I'll be looking for every avenue to do that, Molly. I promise you that."

"Where will you go?"

"We can't tell you that," said Hermione. "The less you know, the safer you'll be."

"Just as long as the kids are safe, that's all I care about," Harry added.

"They'll be fine here," said Arthur.

"We'll be leaving shortly," said Harry. "I don't want the kids to see us go. Too many awkward questions."

"Are you asking us to keep them occupied for you?" asked Molly.

"If you wouldn't mind," said Harry.

"Okay, but make your getaway quickly," said Arthur. "You haven't raised one stupid or incurious child between you. We wont be able to stall them for long."

Molly and Arthur got up and left. Hermione wasted no time in turning to Harry.

"Right, lets go over the plan again," she said.

"Okay, the first thing we have to do is read the letter Roberts sent me," said Harry. "I have a special tool that will do the job. I have one at the office but if I want to stay anonymous we cant go there. It's a good job I keep a spare at home."

"Alright. That's first," said Hermione. "That may or may not generate more leads, but I think we have to deal with what the Baron told us before we move on to anything else."

"I know," said Harry pensively. "He has some kind of poison that's ready, or thereabouts. But it could be anything -"

"Or anywhere -"

"Which means we shouldn't waste our time looking for it," said Harry. "Then we have the situation with Luna."

"How in the hell did she get involved in something like this?" asked Hermione, almost thinking aloud. "It's so out of character."

"Too out of character for my liking," said Harry. "I'd trust Luna with my life; I cant believe she would be complicit in a plot like this."

Hermione looked dolefully at Harry. "Two hours ago wouldn't you have thought the same thing about Ginny?"

"Point taken," said Harry. "But Luna - seriously? You cant honestly believe she would do anything bad without coercion? Ginny's ambition always gave her the potential to be ruthless. Luna doesn't have a bad bone in her body."

"Which is why we have to save her," said Hermione. "If the Baron is done with her and wants to - how did he put it - get her out of his hair then we have to get to her before he does."

"Though he probably has a head start if he knows where she is," said Harry ponderously.

"How long do you think the Baron will buy our story?"

"Who knows," said Harry. "Long enough for us to get a foothold in his plans if we`re lucky. We have him at bay for now, we shouldn't waste any time."

"Do you really think we can stop this, Harry?" asked Hermione.

He moved closer to her, taking her hands. "If anyone can, its us. We have the letter and we know we have to find Luna. It isn't much, but it's a start - and for now it's the best we can do."

"Then let's get going."

Harry led the way from the house. As the back door closed, the one leading from the kitchen to the staircase opened. Celesca, who had been on her way to fetch Lily a change of clothes, had heard the entire exchange between Harry and Hermione from behind the door. She had almost cried out when she'd heard them mention her Aunt and the danger she was in. Now, alone in the kitchen, Celesca sat down, cupped her head with her trembling hands and wept uncontrollably.

* * *

8:36am, Shropshire

The manor house looked so much handsomer by daylight. The Baron had always thought so. The high windows of the drawing room with their Eastern exposure provided wonderful illumination to the vast space inside. At the moment, it threw light on the cluttered oval table at the room's heart. The Baron poured over documents as members of the Viridian Brotherhood scuttled here and there on the various tasks assigned to them.

The Baron was most interested in a report which he had just received. It detailed an attack on Gamot Lucien Carlton, the chief challenger to Minister for Magic Spragg.

"So he survived, you say?" asked the Baron.

Armitage, the chief servant of the Baron, repeated his information. "Early accounts suggest so, but he is still under intensive supervision at St. Mungo's."

"How many fatalities were there?"

"Twelve, at early count," said Armitage. "Including several Aurors and a few journos."

"Good, I hate reporters," said the Baron. "Can Carlton be gotten to at St. Mungo's?"

"Not without a full-scale attack," said Armitage. "That annoying chief-of-staff he has, Tom Kennedy, has upgraded security to a ridiculous level. Trolls, Aurors, you name it - even his ward has been secrecy Charmed to death. We don't even know what floor he's on."

"Nevermind that for now, then," said the Baron. "Carlton's a stubborn fool. If he recovers he'll try and go back to campaigning. We`ll have other opportunities."

"This could be a stunt to win votes," said Armitage. "You didn't actually order this, did you?"

"Of course I did," said the Baron lightly. "I had a feeling it would fail but I wanted Carlton out of the way regardless. The old coot gets up my nose."

They were disturbed by a rapping at the window. A large barn owl was outside trying to get in. Armitage went to the window and unhooked a letter tied to the owl's foot.

"Open that Armitage," said the Baron. "Read it to me."

"It's from Brewer," said Armitage.

"And? What does he say?"

"Just this - It is ready."

"Such a ignorant prat," said the Baron. "I might just kill him for incivility. It'd save me a few Galleons."

"Shall I arrange it, Sir?"

"No, not yet," said the Baron. "If he delivers a workable poison he will have done his job. Keep a few assassins on standby in case he's messed up the potion."

"Yes, Sir."

"Right, Armitage, I want you to check on the stocks of the Elixir. Make sure the entire amount is still there. Count it yourself - I don't trust these thieving gypsies I have working for me."

"Very well, Sir. What then?"

"All is going well, Armitage, don't fret," said the Baron happily. "I have taken care of the potion myself. That's under control. I have to dispose of our little courier but once she's out of the way there will be no link back to us. That's a work in progress."

"And Harry Potter?"

The Baron smiled beneath his scarf. "He's being taken good care of. If he isn't part of this by now he'll be far too late to stop us if he ever manages to get involved. Malfoy remains a problem, but I think I may have to eliminate him myself once I get a spare moment."

"Yes, sir."

"Right, hurry along to check the Elixir," said the Baron. "When you return we shall draft our letter of demands to Spragg and his cronies."

"And if they don't comply?" asked Armitage.

"Oh they'll comply," said the Baron. "Otherwise a lot of people will be dead by lunchtime."

* * *

8:40am, The Burrow.

James had searched the entire house but could still find no sign of Celesca. He'd checked Lily's room, only to find she'd sent her to grab some fresh clothes from her trunk; he'd asked Albus if he'd seen her, only for him to suggest Celesca had finally realised James was a no-good, rotten scumbag and left him; he'd looked on all seven floors of the house and still she was nowhere to be found.

James stood at the kitchen sink and tried to think where she could be. It was entirely possible that he'd missed her on his travels; the Burrow was a hotchpotch of a house and you could easily get lost in it. He doubted she would go to the attic, as the scary ghoul who resided there hated visitors. He was just about running out of ideas when he looked out the window and saw Celesca, quite plainly, sitting in the potting shed at the bottom of the garden.

He made his way to her, considering that he was quite a fool for not looking outside in the first place. He suspected that she might have needed a break from all the drama; he didn't blame her and would certainly have liked a bit for himself. He was nearly upon her, however, when he realised this wasn't at all likely; he could see her eyes were red and blotchy and tear-tracks had cut through the light covering of dirt on her face, from where they'd knocked the Floo Powder jar over when they had been Side-Along Apparated from Greece.

"Cels?" asked James, entering the shed. "Are you okay?"

She looked up at him with a wild sort of expression. "Do I look okay to you?"

"Do I really have to answer that?" asked James, knowing that to answer truthfully carried a serious risk of hexing.

"My god, James, what am I going to do?" asked Celesca desperately. She sat down on an upturned dustbin and burst into tears.

"What is it?" asked James, throwing a consoling arm around her. "What's wrong?"

"It's my au-aunt," Celesca sobbed. "I h-heard your dad and Her-Hermione talking about her. She's in danger."

"Danger? What kind of danger?"

"She's going to be killed!" cried Celesca, before breaking down again. She was so inconsolable that James didn't know quite what to do.

"My dad said your aunt's going to be murdered?" said James. "By who?"

"By the same guy who's threatening the world, the one they've gone to try and stop," wailed Celesca. "Oh, James, what's going to happen to her?"

"My dad and Hermione will stop him," said James, trying to sound confident. "They're really good."

"But if this guy roped in your mum and has threatened my auntie to help him then they might not be in time," said Celesca. "They might not get to her and she wont know there are bad people after her. No matter how good your dad and Hermione are they cant be everywhere at once."

Celesca returned to sobbing. It was so unlike her to be so emotional; James had always seen her as a stout pillar of strength and seeing her like this was devastating for him. He just couldn't see how he could make it better. Just as he thought this, Celesca stopped crying.

"That's it, James, that's a great idea!"

"What? What idea?" said James. "I didn't say anything."

"Oh, I know that," she said brightly, waving her hand to dismiss him. "I can do Legilimency."

"The mind reading thing?" said James, awestuck. "That's seriously advanced magic."

"Well, yes, I suppose it is," she said, colouring. "But what am I saying! - that doesn't matter right now. Your idea was great."

"What idea?"

"The idea that we go and help Auntie Luna," said Celesca. "I should have thought of it myself, but you thought it for me. We do make a good team, don't we?"

"Oh no," said James standing up. "I thought, `I bet Celesca will want to go and help her aunt`. I didn't think that's what we should do, or that it was a good idea. In fact, I was trying to think of a way to dissuade you in case you came up with it."

"But it's what we have to do, James," said Celesca, standing and moving to him. "We have to help."

"Celesca, we cant," said James. "We were told explicitly to stay here, that its too dangerous to leave."

Celesca looked shrewdly at him. "Since when did you start playing by the rules?"

"I put it down to the moment we started going out," said James. "Richard says you neutered me."

"Then lets un-neuter you," said Celesca. "James, please, I really need you badly now."

"This is madness!" said James, though the call of adventure in him was slowly stirring after a long coma. "My dad will kill me if I get involved. I don't know how we`d even get out."

"That's the spirit," said Celesca. "You're thinking like your old self. Just don't become your old self and go off me."

He kissed her softly. "Stop talking rubbish. You realise my father will kill me for doing this."

"And you realise that my aunt will actually be killed if we don't help her."

"You obviously think she's been forced into this then?" asked James. "There's no chance she's actually evil and part of it?"

"My aunt is mad as a hatter but she's impossibly lovely," said Celesca. "There is no way on Earth she would get involved in something like this by choice."

"Then how is she involved, do you reckon?"

"Who knows, but I think she must be being blackmailed or threatened," said Celesca.

"Threatened?" said James. "My dad said she was really powerful. The way he talked about her made it sound like she could look after herself."

"She is deceptively gifted," said Celesca, thinking hard. "What could they have threatened her with?"

"Is she married? Has she got kids?" asked James. "Of course not, I'd have seen you chatting to any cousins at Hogwarts if you had them."

"That's it, James! You're a genius!" she leapt to him and kissed him deeply.

"I am?" said James, overwhelmed as he always became when Celesca's passions made her kiss him in that particular way.

"I do have a cousin - Luna does have a daughter!" cried Celesca excitedly. "Only she's a Squib. She goes to that school they built for Squibs outside Hogsmeade village."

"Aren't they still on term-time there?" asked James. "I'm sure they have a different calendar to Hogwarts."

"You may be right," said Celesca, concentrating again. James thought this might be her cutest face. "In fact, it makes perfect sense. If Aleri is still at school these people could have isolated her from my aunt. They must be threatening to hurt her if my aunt doesn't do stuff for them. I wonder what she did? Not that it matters."

"Why wouldn't they have just taken her away? Somewhere they could hold her?"

"They couldn't have kidnapped her from school," said Celesca. "Wizard Registration Laws are tight these days. Everyone has to be accounted for, especially children. They probably have a teacher or someone on the staff who`s watching Aleri all the time."

"Then we have to go there, to the Academy," said James. "That's what they call it, isn't it? If she`s still there we might be able to get to her. We`re young enough to pass for pupils ourselves."

"The only problem is, how?"

They both sat down at this thought. Getting to Hogsmeade was a big enough problem in itself, but James knew that getting away from Grandma and Granddad Weasley was something else entirely. This was going to take every ounce of cunning he possessed, but he couldn't let Celesca down.

* * *

8:46am, an airfield near Cardiff

Malfoy peered through the binoculars that Scott had just handed him. There was no doubt about it - the gang was moving out. The armoured SUV's were rolling out one after the other from the hangar and making for the access road on the opposite side of the airfield to where Malfoy and Scott were positioned. As soon as the vehicles began moving, Malfoy jumped from the Land Rover.

"Where are you going?" hissed Scott. "We have to get after them."

"They've left a guard behind," said Malfoy. "He might have some useful information."

"But the trucks?"

"There are too many for just one car to track," said Malfoy. "We need more intelligence. We need to find which car Kelly was in."

"Fine, just get back in," said Scott. "We can get over there much quicker by car."

"The hell we can," said Malfoy. He smirked and with a little pop was gone.

"Idiot!" said Scott. He turned on the ignition and gunned the Land Rover over the ridge and across the airfield.

Malfoy was already on the landing strip, wand out. He moved almost nonchalantly across the tarmac towards the hangar, keeping his ear out for movement. Something scraped to his left.

"Stupefy!"

The spell hit an empty crate, which was blasted into hundreds of pieces. Malfoy watched the glowing cinders fall to the ground and turned, annoyed to head back towards the hangar. As he did so something erupted from inside the high steel walls. Malfoy instinctively cast a deflection spell but he was too slow, and whatever it was caught him in the eye. He staggered about as balls of light pulsed in his vision; he could just about see the outline of the hangar ahead but, panicked and disorientated he fell to the ground.

The cool of the tarmac was settling. It served to help Malfoy gather his thoughts and recall his training. He raised his wand to his eyes and began casting healing spells. Slowly, the popping lights dimmed until they were completely gone and Malfoy looked up with clear vision. What he saw didn't please him.

"I've never seen a wizard bleed," said a man standing over him. Malfoy looked only at the gun in his hand as he squeezed the trigger.

The muted gunshot echoed around the silent airfield. Malfoy, who had determinedly looked into the eyes of his would-be killer, watched as the man fell to one knee and dropped his gun. The bullet hole in his temple oozed blood freely as he collapsed into a heap on the landing strip. Malfoy looked up at Agent Scott, his gun extended with wisps of smoke rising from the silencer barrel. Malfoy got up.

"Don't expect me to thank you," he said.

"Wouldn't have dreamed of it," replied Scott, smirking. Suddenly there was another swift movement, this time from inside the hangar. Scott didn't react quickly enough, but Malfoy was now taut and alert. Not for nothing was he the best Prima Harry Potter had ever trained.

"Protego!" He cried.

A gunshot erupted from the hangar. Scott turned, expecting to be hit by the bullet; he watched in disbelief as it shot right for him but ricocheted away a few inches from his face. Malfoy meanwhile had darted across the runway, spotted the assailant and had his wand raised again.

"Sectumartus!"

A terrible, ear-piercing scream filled the air, followed by the metallic clink of a gun as it fell to the floor. Malfoy walked slowly to the shooter, lying in a pool of his own blood which was slowly growing in size. Scott joined him and nearly threw up; the shooter's arm was lying a few feet away from his body.

"Handy little spell that one," said Malfoy. He knelt down next to the shooter. "I can heal this. Just tell me which car Kelly left in and you'll feel no more."

"You mean that?"

"Absolutely."

The shooter considered his options. "The blue car. He's in the blue car."

"Thank you," said Malfoy. He aimed his wand again. "Avada Kedavra!"

The shooter was dead in an instant. Scott looked at Malfoy, unable to believe his coldness.

"You said you'd heal him!" he said, his voice barely a whisper.

"No," said Malfoy. "I said he'd feel no more. I believe I kept my word."

"He could have told us something," said Scott. "You have to stop killing our leads."

"He wouldn't have lasted long enough," said Malfoy. "Besides, he wouldn't have told us anything. These two were left behind as an ambush. I walked right into it. I must be losing my touch."

"They could have just been guarding the place," said Scott.

"Guarding what? They were a diversion, nothing more. Kelly got away. They did their job in delaying us."

"MI5 had this place under satellite surveillance," said Scott. "I'll get onto them to track those SUV's."

"Good, do that," said Malfoy. "I'm going to see if there's anything useful in there. Maybe they slipped up."

They parted, though Agent Scott wasn't quite sure he was comfortable with turning his back on this dubious wizard.

* * *

8:50am, The Potter Manor, Silverton-On-Sea

The house was empty and Harry speculated that this may have been the first time since he'd bought the place that he'd entered it alone. Ludey, the house-elf, had been forced to take a two-week holiday (in accordance with Hermione's house-elf welfare reforms) and the place had an unnatural silence that Harry didn't like at all.

Hermione followed Harry across the threshold. She flung open the curtains and lit a few of the candles, as though she felt that lighting the place would lift the gloom that she could sense too. It was almost as if the house somehow knew that the family had been ripped in half and shared the grief in its own way.

"Harry," said Hermione gently. "We really should get a move on."

Harry knew she was right, but found himself oddly rooted to the spot. He stood and looked around the place; this was the home that he and Ginny had built for themselves, where they had raised their children. It had once contained warmth, but now it was just hollow and empty, just like the lies of twenty years of marriage. Harry felt anger before he could contain it, rearing up and trying to burst from his chest like a caged monster. His wand was suddenly out.

"Reducto!" Picture frames containing moving photos of Ginny were reduced to glass-dust and wood splinters, their subjects looking scandalised. "Reducto!" Her Quidditch trophies went the same way. "Reducto! Reducto! RED-"

"Dissipato!"

Hermione's spell hit Harry's in mid air; they melded for a moment and then broke apart and faded away. She crossed to him, dried the tears that he hadn't even felt flowing, then drew him into a tender hug.

"I know you're angry," she whispered softly. "But if you destroy your house, where will your kids live?"

"I just cant stand to be here," Harry said into her shoulder. "Everywhere I look I'm reminded of her, of the lie."

"Twenty years wasn't all a lie," said Hermione. "I know you loved each other and you have three wonderful children."

The thought of his kids galvanised Harry. He lifted his head from Hermione's shoulder but didn't break the embrace. Their faces were so close he could see his watery eyes reflected in Hermione's own. Her skin seemed to be twitching.

"It bothers me that all that we've done, all the sacrifices we made for others, have turned out - at least for me - to have been for nothing," said Harry. "I adore my kids, you know that, but I gave up the chance of having them with you so others could be happy. Look where my nobility has gotten me - an ambitious, devious wife, three great kids, but I'll still end up alone."

"You aren't alone, Harry," said Hermione somewhat breathlessly.

Harry broke away from her. He knew had he stayed there they would have kissed and that would be the end of it. Despite everything, he still clung on to the last shred of the morality which had been the foundation of his sacrifice. Ginny was gone, but Ron was still his best friend and Hermione's husband; they still had the kids and the wider family. Harry hadn't been a heartbreaker twenty years ago, he wasn't going to be a home wrecker now.

"Harry?" said Hermione, the disappointment in her voice evident

"I've been alone for two decades, Hermione."

"How can you say that?" she asked. There was a trace of something frantic in her voice. "You've been married, you've had kids, you've got friends. How have you been alone?"

"Because the one person I wanted to be with wasn't around me," said Harry. "I don't blame you, I don't. In the end you proved to be more noble than I. You've actually been happy."

Hermione looked aghast. "You're telling me you haven't been? But you were in love with Ginny."

"I loved her, yes, but I was never in love with her, if you know what I mean," said Harry.

"Then why did you marry her?"

"Because you'd already married Ron," said Harry. "I never saw you do it, so I've never really accepted it, till now. Now that I'm alone and you're unattainable."

"Harry, I keep telling you that you aren't alone," said Hermione.

"I'm not going to ask you to leave Ron and I'll think badly of you if you do," said Harry. He turned away from her. "I'm content enough that you're happy with Ron; its always been what kept me going. You know, I didn't really agree with what we decided, not whole-heartedly anyway."

"What!? But you said -"

"Oh, I know it was for the best, and I'd probably end up making the same decision again if I had it to do over," said Harry. "But I never liked it. Not from day one. Part of me secretly hoped you'd risk the Weasley's scorn and we could just vanish together and not be heard from again. By the time the day you got married came along I suppose I'd given up hope of all that."

Hermione was crying now. Silent tears streamed down her face, Harry couldn't look at her.

"I spent the day with Neville, you know," said Harry, getting this out while he had the chance. "He knew, I think. He always suspected some partiality on my side for you. We were getting ready to go and he could see my heart wasn't in it. He just said, `it's Hermione, isn't it? You can't watch it?' And he was right; I couldn't attend a wedding with you and see you marrying someone else. He suggested we sod the wedding and drown our sorrows in the nearest pub. He'd developed a bit of a thing for Luna, see, but she let him down gently - well, gently in her own way."

"Oh, Harry -" sniffed Hermione. "I always thought you had peace with Ginny. What was it you always said - `peace after a life of war'?"

"What peace have I had?" said Harry ruefully. "No peace in my job; no peace with Ginny once the lust wore off. My kids have given me my only solace. Add you and me putting shield charms between us and my life adds up to quantifiable misery. Now this is happening."

"Harry, I - I don't know what to say."

"You have to say anything," said Harry. "I don't want to mention this again. I just wanted to say it once. Come on, we have to look at that letter."

"Harry, we cant just leave things like this!" cried Hermione.

"We can and we must," said Harry bracingly. "We're well practiced at it and, once again, the world needs our help. We have to follow tradition and put ourselves on hold for them."

Hermione didn't seem convinced that she could do that but Harry had already moved across the room. A stack of bookshelves covered the far wall and Harry aimed his wand at them. He heard Hermione move quickly, perhaps expecting him to go back to wrecking his house, but the books weren't blown into a thousand bits. Instead, the shelf swung back to reveal a hidden staircase.

Hermione followed Harry down the stairs into his private study. She gasped as she entered a cavernous room dug many metres beneath the house. Every wall was decked with readouts and monitors, as though Harry were keeping tabs on the entire world. Hermione checked herself, remembering that at one time he probably was.

"What do you think of my office?" asked Harry, grinning.

"You still keep everything active?" said Hermione, checking some parchment printouts. "I thought we'd disabled everything?"

"We did, but I rebuilt them," said Harry. "The Auror office has to have some secrets, Hermione."

"Even from me?"

Harry looked at her. "Especially from you. You'd be well within your remit to arrest me for wartime Intelligence practices during a prolonged peace. After all I've been through, I've learned that you never can be too careful."

"You should've showed me this," said Hermione. "You know I wouldn't have arrested you. I could have helped you - I don't like the idea of you facing these dangers alone."

"Well you're with me now, when I need you the most," said Harry. Hermione smiled warmly at him. "Let's take a look at that letter."

He took it from his pocket and unfurled it on the table. It was so splattered with dried blood that they could barely read it, even after Hermione had tried a number of spells to clean it up. In the end, they had to resort to holding it up and lighting their wands behind it, then squinting hard to read the words. The parchment page was small and Harry found his face awfully close to Hermione's, his cheek brushing her own more often than he thought was coincidence. It was highly distracting.

c/o Harry Potter

Sir, I have managed to penetrate the inner circle of the V. Brotherhood

"That's the gang he was investigating," Harry explained. He read on

The gang is far more organised than previously thought, and have bigger plans than we imagined. They have acquired the stocks of a rare universal antidote, the White Elixir. I believe they are preparing a poison for which the Elixir may be the only cure. I have been unable to find out what the poison is, where it is being stored or how they intend to use it. I have learned that they are using a botanist, Neil Gardner, to acquire the ingredients for the poison. I'm writing now as I have learned the true identity of the groups leader, The Red Baron, and I believe my cover has been blown. You will not believe me when I tell you his name is -

As Harry and Hermione reached the name the parchment suddenly burst into flame, incinerating the identity of this new enemy. Harry dropped the parchment and stamped out the flames. He picked up the dishevelled remains and looked at the hole in the parchment where their biggest clue should have been.

"Now, did you do that, or did I?" said Harry.

"I don't think either of us did, actually," said Hermione.

"It caught fire, Hermione," said Harry. "We both had wands behind it."

"Yes, but look," said Hermione, taking the parchment from him. "It looks like this parchment is flame-proof."

Harry looked at her incredulously.

"Oh, honestly, Harry -"

She took her wand and tried to ignite a corner of the parchment. It didn't take and Harry watched it in astonishment.

"Then how on Earth-"

"It must be to do with the name," said Hermione. "Someone didn't want this identity getting out."

"How is it possible to conceal a name?" asked Harry.

"Variant of the Fidelius Charm, a modified Taboo spell," said Hermione thinking aloud. "Maybe only the Baron himself can tell you who he really is."

"He's thought of everything, hasn't he?"

"Except how powerful we are together," said Hermione defiantly. "We have a lead now, this botanist Roberts mentioned. Do you have access to the MLE databases here?"

"Er, yeah," said Harry guiltily. "Over there."

"All herbologists must register if they want to sell magical plants," said Hermione accessing the database through a Rune interface. "Even Muggle shops are monitored."

"You think he'll be there?" asked Harry.

Hermione didn't answer immediately; she was concentrating hard and Harry had forgotten how cute she looked when she did this. She scrolled through the names for a few minutes then suddenly -

"Ah! Here it is! Neil Gardner, owner of Herbal Essentials, a small shop in Weymouth."

"That's perfect," said Harry. "Its small, out of the way. Perfect cover."

"Then do you fancy buying me some Weymouth flowers, Harry?" said Hermione, before she could think.

He grinned at her. "Only if you're a good girl. Now come on, lets get going."

* * *

8:55am, The Burrow

Celesca waited patiently in the hall as James entered the bedroom. He doubted the plan; they hoped to rope Al in as a decoy to occupy the grandparents while they slipped out, then provide cover once the difficult questions came. James, however, knew how angry his brother was with him and had serious reservations that he would go along with what they were asking.

Al was sitting on the bed staring out towards Stoatshead Hill. He scowled when James approached him and shifted further towards the window when James sat down near him.

"How you doing, Al?" James asked.

"Like you care," spat Albus.

"Look, when are you going to get passed this?"

"Get passed it!" hissed Albus. "You put our mother in Azkaban!"

"Yeah, and she deserved it," said James. "Everyone but you thinks so."

"And that makes it right, does it?"

"Yeah, kind of," said James.

"What do you want, James?"

"I need your help."

Albus scoffed. "That's rich. Your head's so far up your jacksie I cant believe it sometimes. Why should I help you?"

"Its not for me, its for Celesca," said James. Albus softened slightly. "I know you cant stand me right now, and I honestly don't blame you, but don't take it out on her. We need your help."

Albus sat quite still and James could see the conflict raging in his mind. He'd always quite liked Celesca and she'd always been nice to him; he was weighing up this against his vitriolic distaste for James right now.

"Why do you need my help?" he asked eventually.

"Celesca's aunt is in real danger," said James. "The same guy that made mum lose her mind is threatening her. Me and Celesca are going to try and help."

"Grandma and Granddad will never allow you to leave," said Albus.

"I know, that's why we need you," said James. "We have to have a diversion, something to keep them busy while we slip out. I know this is something you can do."

"But why should I after what you did to Mum?"

"Because you aren't like her," said James. "You're a good boy and you know how to do the right thing. Mum forgot that somehow."

Albus looked solemn for the first time. "What do you want me to do?"

"Anything," said James. "Anything that buys me and Celesca five minutes to get away."

"Where are you going to go?"

"Her cousin goes to the Squib School by Hogsmeade," said James. "That's where we're headed."

"Why are you going there?" asked Albus.

"Look, I don't have time to explain, will you do it or not?"

Albus thought for a few moments. "Fine. Go downstairs. Be ready to go."

James ushered Celesca down the stairs and into a broom cupboard in the kitchen. It was actually more of a broom-alcove, as the door had fallen from its hinges and not been repaired, but it provided a good hiding place. Albus, meanwhile, had moved into the kitchen and placed a pan of oil on the stove. He took out something from his pocket, unwrapped the unmistakable Weasley's Wheezes wrapper and dropped it into the pan.

A sizzling sound filled the air, followed by the popping of oil. The sound made James think of sausages and he felt suddenly hungry. This feeling vanished in an instant as the pan suddenly caught fire; flames leapt from the stove and licked toward the ceiling and a little ceramic man with a Muggle fire helmet on called out `Fire in the Kitchen!' really loudly. Grandma and Granddad Weasley, who'd both been in the garden, rushed in and began dousing the flames with their wands. James and Celesca meanwhile slipped out unnoticed while Albus gave flimsy excuses about trying to cook breakfast.

Albus returned to his room to clean up while Molly cooked for him. He watched James and Celesca stealing away towards the hill in the distance. He wondered vaguely if they knew the way to Hogsmeade. Then he snarled at them and wondered just how he could use his information to land James in real trouble.

* * *

8:57 am, Minister for Magic's High Chambers, The Ministry of Magic

Minister Spragg, his PA, Bryony Moffett, and his Senior Undersecretary, Anubis Hardcastle, looked at the letter which had just landed before them. They had all been present when the demand for them to gather in the High Chamber had been delivered; though Spragg was not accustomed to being dictated to, he thought he might entertain this one instruction, given the events of the day so far.

The three of them now stared at the red, slightly smoking envelope before them. It had appeared with a blast of red flame and was now waiting to be opened.

"Shall I do it?" asked Hardcastle. His deep, baritone voice was a steadying presence in these uncertain circumstances.

"Open it," said Spragg. Hardcastle did so. Immediately, a large red mouth shot forth from the letter and hung disembodied in mid-air. In a magically modified voice, it spoke.

"To Minister Spragg. I am the Red Baron, responsible for the attack on Lucien Carlton this morning and ready to launch another series of strikes against you. I have in my possession a quantity of poison. Right now it is being entered into the water supply of the greater London area. This network provides water for personal and industrial use to two-thirds of the country. One mouthful of this contaminated water will cause a painful death within three hours. Right now, I have only introduced a fraction of this poison into the water supply, as a sign of my intentions. I have all the known cure for this poison and I will supply this to any infected persons; in exchange I want your immediate resignation, the disbanding of the Wizengamot and all executive control turned over to me. I give you one hour to comply, then the demonstration of my capabilities will begin."

Spragg looked horrified, aghast as the speaking ended and the letter burnt into ashes. It took a few minutes to compose himself, during which he paced and sweated more than he had in a long time. Eventually, he gathered himself together.

"Bryony," he began, turning to his PA. "Set up a meeting with the Muggle Prime Minister, top priority. Tell him to drop whatever he's doing and wait for my arrival. Hardcastle, assemble the Cabinet and as many of the Wizengamot members as you can. Once you've done that, I have a more difficult task for you."

"What is it?"

"Find me Harry Potter, and for Merlin's Sake, man, find him fast."

9:00am.

-->