Unofficial Portkey Archive

Anything for Harry by Golasgil Sindar
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Anything for Harry

Golasgil Sindar

Anything for Harry: Chapter1

Dudley was pressed against the far side of the backseat. His bulk left only a small gap between them. Harry was just grateful to be left alone to think. Could he, Hermione, and Ron actually fulfill the Headmasters appointed tasks? He was far from sure of that. They would certainly try. He recalled the discussion from just a few days ago. Ron had fallen asleep under the shade of the tree. "Do we have a chance?"

She sat beside him, hugging her legs and resting her chin on her dress covered knees. She had been looking thoughtfully across the lake, Hogsmeade just visible on the far side of the great lake. She whipped her head around so fast he felt a sympathetic pain in his neck at the violence of the motion. She stared at him intently for a moment. She was barely breathing. He wasn't sure what she was thinking and waited apprehensively for her answer. If she said no then what chance did he have? Less than zero in his own estimation. If she said no then he would gather everyone he could and run to the other side of the world. Maybe they could find some time for a normal life for a while? Maybe the world would band together and the adults would deal with the darkest wizard known?

"Yes." The intensity of that one word sent strength into his soul. There was absolutely no doubt in her tone or expression.

He could only nod in acceptance of her answer. His insecurities of a moment before vanished with that word. He would stand against anything with her guidance. He had a vague plan well, it was a starting point at least. She was still looking intently at him, waiting for his response. He asked softly, "Do you have a muggle bank account and credit card?"

Her brow furrowed, she had not expected such a question, but she nodded ever so slightly.

He wished he knew telepathy, maybe then they could be assured of a private conversation. He whispered, not wanting his words to travel any further than they needed to. "We'll need it. I'll meet you shortly after we get out of here. We'll discuss it then."

Her eyebrows rose and she bit her lower lip for a brief moment. Certainly her brain was going through all of the possibilities. Again she just nodded without breaking eye contact. Hermione pensive was not something he was used to. Usually she was talking twenty words to his one. She looked over his left shoulder, towards Dumbledore's sarcophagus, lost in thought.

He hoped her plans would mesh with his. His eyes wandered across the lake. The giant squid seemed to be waving at them. He caught her lips moving but she wasn't making any sound. He clearly lip-read the last word; 'anything.' With that a single tear escaped her right eye. She wiped it away looking angry.

They were already sitting shoulder to shoulder. He didn't think, he put his arm around her and pulled her against his side. She uncoiled her legs and sobbed into his chest, hands gripping his Weasley sweater desperately. He didn't know what to say or do so just sat there, one arm around her shoulders. She didn't cry for long, it was short and muffled.

She sat up and wiped her face on her sleeve. He let his arm fall back to his side. When her eyes again met his he expected sorrow or worry. Instead they were filled with a furious intensity. "Anything Harry, I swear, anything!"

He nodded, agreeing that they would do whatever it took to take down Tom Riddle. They sat silently until Ron's grumbling stomach woke the red-head and they went inside for lunch. Later that afternoon Hedwig flew off to set his plan in motion.

*

When they got home it was dusk. Harry climbed out of the Dursley's car and quickly went to stand in front of his uncle. Vernon stopped abruptly and grunted. Petunia and Dudley who were just stepping out of the car, stared at him. "Thank you for the ride uncle. I'll be leaving now."

Vernon grunted again, "Well don't come looking for charity here." He continued walking. Harry had to jump onto the lawn to keep from being run over. Petunia and Dudley went around the car and into the house.

Harry lifted Hedwig's cage from the car, "Bout what I expected eh girl." She looked at him and cocked her head. "Well let's get out of here." He closed the door and went to the open boot, put the cage down and opened the door. Hedwig hopped onto his hand. "Meet me at Hermione's. I've got some errands to run first."

The snowy owl nipped his cheek and launched herself into the sky.

He watched his familiar fade into the darkening sky before he heaved his trunk free of the boot. It was much lighter than it had been in the past. He had left all of his old clothes behind, except the one set he was currently wearing.

He stepped out onto the curb of number 4 Privet Drive. Taking a quick look around through the gathering mist he pulled out his wand and waggled it. A moment later the Knight Bus screeched to a stop barely an inch from his legs. He ignored the near accident and stepped into the bus, hauling his trunk with him. Stan took the empty cage and hung it from a hook beside another that contained a sleeping tawny owl. He pressed a galleon into Stan's hand and said, "Diagon."

The beds on the first floor were all vacant. He sat on the closest one and gripped the bar tightly just as the bus leapt into motion.

Stan walked over and tried to hand Harry his change, "Here you are Mr. Po… I mean Neville."

He held his hand as if to push Stan's hand away and said, "Keep it Stan." He finished sitting up and said, "I need some information instead and can you shrink my cage and trunk?"

Stan looked confused but asked, "Fair exchange then?"

He grinned back, "Depends on your answers. Can this bus take me somewhere that you don't know the address for?"

Stan sat on the edge of the bed beside Harry and slipped the change into his pocket. "Ya mean like Hogwarts?"

"That's a fair example but what if I wanted to go to my parents' home? The one they were in when I got this." He tapped his forehead.

Stan shivered before calming himself and answering. "Should be able to go anywhere, unless the place is hidden by a spell or such."

"Thanks Stan. We're going to test that later when I'm done at Gringotts."

Stan shook his head, "They close at sunset, won't open those doors again until sunrise."

He couldn't help but grin as he answered, "I'll call you when I'm done."

Stan shrugged and tapped Harry's trunk with his wand while muttering something. It shrunk and he did the same with Hedwig's empty cage then went to talk to the driver.

Harry picked up his trunk and shrunken cage then slipped them into his pocket and lay back on the bed. It wouldn't take long to get to Diagon so he best not fall asleep. Sure enough, he felt the bus starting to brake and his grip tightened on the bars of the bed.

"Diagon, be careful sir."

"I'll be back shortly." When Stan nodded Harry pulled himself to his feet and stepped from the bus onto the sidewalk in front of The Leaky Cauldron. It was still early in the evening for the streets of London but the mist had apparently driven most indoors already. He didn't hesitate and was opening the door when the Knight Bus pulled away.

The room was crowded, silence descended when he was recognized. He skimmed his eyes around the room to see if anyone looked threatening. Everyone seemed to be waiting to see what he was going to do. He said, "Evening," and walked across the room. Many murmured a reply but most simply went back to what they had been doing. Tom waved at him from behind the bar as he walked past.

The passage to Diagon Alley was already open so he strode through into the magical world. He stepped to the side and threw his invisibility cloak over himself before continuing towards Gringotts. Wand in hand he walked quickly down the alley and up the stairs to the sealed doors.

Standing before the imposing doors he fished the key to his vault from his pocket. Once it was in hand he tapped the third panel on the left door with his wand. A small keyhole appeared in the center of the panel. He inserted his key but did not turn it. A moment later the door slid silently open, just far enough for him to slip inside.

He folded his cloak into his pocket as the door slid shut and plunged him into darkness. He put his key back into his pocket and stood in the darkness. As the reply letter had instructed he held his ground in the small chamber between the outer and inner sets of doors.

It was perhaps a full minute later, just as the darkness was beginning to remind him a bit too much of the cupboard under the stairs, he heard hurried steps on the inside of the bank. When the door finally opened he was relieved to see an elegantly dressed goblin. "Mr. Potter, this way please."

The inside of the bank was not as deserted as he had believed. Many goblins remained at their posts, no doubt checking today's counts. The goblin led him to a desk and he himself stepped behind it. Harry's letter was on the desk along with two sets of papers.

The goblin took the thicker stack and turned it so Harry could read it. "Please read this over carefully before authorizing it sir. We have covered all wizard and muggle laws of which we are aware in attempting to follow your directions." He motioned behind Harry and a thick plush chair appeared, "Take your time sir."

Harry ignored the gesture to start reading the parchment. He got lost after the first three sentences of legal gibberish and sighed. "Does this give full access to my vault and anything else, like properties that I may yet receive?"

The goblin nodded quickly, "In effect sir it amends her name to all legal documents bearing yours. She shall be treated as yourself, within these walls, once this is authorized."

"Good enough then, the other is for the transfers I requested?" The second parchment was spun so he could read it. The amounts checked out; five hundred thousand pounds payable to Hermione and fifty thousand galleons for Ron. He picked up the quill and dipped it into the inkwell set into the desk.

Carefully he scribed his full name to both parchments. The goblin took them and blotted them before pressing a wax seal onto the base of each. The parchments then went into the drawer of the desk. The goblin handed Harry a small sheet of paper, it was a check from the Bank of London payable to Hermione Granger for the 500,000 pounds, and a duplicate key.

"We cannot deposit directly into a muggle account. The amount for Mr. Weasley has been transferred into the account we just opened in his name. He will need to come and collect the key. Per your instructions the balance of his account will not be reflected in any official statements."

He slipped the key and check into his front pocket, "Thanks."

The goblin leaned forward and steepled his long fingers together. "A pleasure Mr. Potter. We look forward to assisting you in the future as in the past."

He emerged into a deserted Diagon Alley. He was again under his cloak but still felt exposed as he hurried back up the alley. He had to tap the bricks to reach The Leaky Cauldron and didn't bother to take off his cloak before entering the building. He took his time working his way through the crowded bar. It took a few minutes waiting by the door before someone else left and he snuck out with them.

Fortunately the man summoned the Knight Bus and Harry slipped inside it with him as well. The man paid for his destination and went to find a bed. The bus was much busier than earlier. Harry grabbed the nearest bedpost. He waited for the bus to leap into motion again before removing his cloak.

"Hello again Stan."

Stan spun and turned ghostly white, "Shouldn't do that to a bloke sir. No you shouldn't."

"Sorry Stan, I didn't want to be seen leaving. Ready for that mystery destination?"

"Godrics Hollow then sir?"

Harry shook his head, "Maybe another day. I want to go to my friend's house. Hermione Granger's home please."

Relief flashed on Stan's face, "Yep ready to try it." Stan walked back to the driver and gave him the directions, before returning to Harry. "You're in the queue now sir. Could be a bit, we're pretty busy now."

Harry shrugged, "Just make sure I get there. How much do I owe you for this trip?"

"Nothing, you paid enough on the first trip. Asides I want to know if this works."

Harry shrugged and walked to the only open bed he saw on the ground floor.

*

It was less than an hour later when Stan tapped him on the shoulder. "You're up next Neville."

Harry grinned and rubbed his eyes. His stomach growled, he should have eaten in the Cauldron but it was too late now. He straightened his glasses and went to wait by the door. When it screeched to a halt he leapt out, brushing the door with his shoulder as it was still opening. With a bang the Knight bus leapt away from the curb. Harry straightened up and looked around. He was in an affluent neighborhood. All of the homes were large and old, though well kept. He had no idea if he was close to Hermione's. Then Hedwig landed on his shoulder and nuzzled his cheek. "Guess I'm in the right place girl, which one?"

Hedwig hooted softly and looked at the stone, ivy covered, two-story to the right.

"Thanks girl." Owl perched on his shoulder he walked up to the front door of the house. There were several lights on in the rooms on the ground floor. He rang the bell.