Unofficial Portkey Archive

Darkness Descending by Andrewsquill
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Darkness Descending

Andrewsquill

Chapter 5: Meet the Grangers.

With a small pop, Harry and Hermione arrived in the back yard of her parent's house. Walking up to, the back door Hermione pulled out her key to let them in.

Harry paused at the entrance to the door and closed his eyes briefly as if gathering himself for something.

Realizing that Harry had stopped following her, Hermione turned to see Harry standing in the door with his eyes closed. Tentatively she called out to him, "Harry, are you okay?"

After a few seconds, Harry's eyes snapped open and he spoke in a barely controlled voice "Why aren't there any wards on your house?"

"What!" Hermione shouted. "Dumbledore said that he had wards placed on the house last year to protect my parents." Hermione was somewhere between panic and anger, she had trusted in Dumbledore to protect her family and he had obviously failed to do as he had promised. "Do wards fall when the caster dies?" she asked, grasping at straws.

"No." was the only word that Harry muttered in a resigned voice as he stepped into the kitchen and closed the back door. "We need to get your parents out of here and then come back and ward this house properly. I know that there are some books on warding at number 12." After a brief pause Harry called out, "Kreacher."

There was a small pop and the old Black Family elf appeared in front of Harry. "Master called and Kreacher has obeyed." Muttered the elf in a low tone of voice.

Harry bit back his anger at the old elf, realizing that he had been a victim of his environment, more so than he was himself. "Please bring me the warding book from the library and put this back on the shelf in the drawing room." Harry told Kreacher as he drew out RAB's fake Horcrux.

Kreacher's eyes bulged out when he saw the locket and he exclaimed "Mistresses missing locket! Master Regulus took the locket and hid it years ago." wailed Kreacher.

Taken aback by what Kreacher had just revealed, Harry looked over at Hermione and knew that she had realized who RAB was as well. Turning back to the excited elf Harry knelt down and spoke softly, "Kreacher, I found this locket in a cave full of Inferi." The look of pure terror on the tiny elf's face was all the confirmation that Harry needed. Kreacher knew where the locket had been located. He opened the locket and removed the not from Regulus and closed the clasp. "Kreacher, I want you to have this, I know that it means a lot to you."

"Master is giving Kreacher Mistress Black's necklace?"

"Yes." And with that, Harry extended his hand with the locket resting on his palm. "It's a gift for your loyal years of service to the family."

Kreacher's entire demeanor changed instantly. He stood up to his full height and accepted the necklace with a look of reverence on his face. Still looking at the locket in awe Kreacher spoke in a soft voice that Harry had to strain to hear. "Master has given Kreacher a most precious gift." With a small pop Kreacher disappeared leaving Harry and Hermione staring at the spot that he had just vacated.

"That went…well I think." said Harry pensively.

"You did a good thing for Kreacher Harry. I don't think that he has ever really been shown any kindness or been given a gift before." Hermione said thoughtfully.

A small pop announced Kreacher's return. He looked completely different. The filthy loincloth had been replaced by a clean tea towel toga complete with the Black family crest on the left shoulder. "Here is the book that Master has requested."

Taking the book Harry thanked the elf. Just as he was about to dismiss him Harry had another thought. "Kreacher, is there a way to secure the house so only people that I grant access to will be allowed to enter?"

The predatory look on Kreacher's face was a bit alarming to Harry and Hermione. "Yes Master. There is a way to keep the house secure."

"Good. Please lock the house down for now. I don't want anyone but you, me, and Hermione to be able to get in this house right now. Make sure that whatever you do will not kill anyone, stunning is fine though. Has anyone removed anything from the house recently?" Harry asked.

Kreacher's ears drooped and he shuffled his feet before answering. "Nasty thief took the sliver from the dining room as well as some items from the drawing room."

Harry knew that it was Mundungus that the elf was referring to, and he was seeing red. "Kreacher, I want you to fetch Mundungus Fletcher and lock him in a secure room in the basement. Make sure he can't escape and then come find me when I'm alone or with Hermione."

With a gleam in his eyes, Kreacher bowed and vanished to complete his task.

"You know, I'm not sure I would want to be Mundungus right about now." Harry said thoughtfully.

"Right, let me get my parents and then we can go to the bank."

Taking a seat on the couch in the living room Harry took in his surroundings. There were numerous photos of Hermione and her parents scattered throughout the room. He could almost feel the love in the house and it made him feel the loss of his parent's and Sirius all over again. The Granger's house felt warm and inviting, unlike the overbearing presence that he felt at the Burrow.

Harry was still lost in his thoughts when Hermione returned with her parents in tow. "Mom, Dad. This is Harry Potter."

"I'm pleased to meet you. You have a lovely home." Harry said as he shook each of their hands.

"Thank you. It is good to finally meet you Harry. I'm Annabelle and this is John. Hermione mentioned that you needed our help with something?"

"Yes, ma'am. I need to open an account at a local bank and we need to set up some protection for your house."

"Protection?" Mr. Granger looked taken aback for a moment before turning to Hermione. "Didn't your headmaster, Dumbledore, do something about that last year?"

"Actually, he didn't." said Harry in a clipped tone. He then explained to Hermione's parents about not feeling any wards around the house when he entered. "Dumbledore either delegated the job to someone else and that person forgot or he purposely didn't place them. My best guess is that he felt that his efforts were better spent elsewhere so he just didn't put them up. This is all just speculation of course but based upon his prior actions it all fits. However, he's dead and now the job has fallen to Hermione and me to secure your house."

The Grangers were more than a little shocked and it shown in their facial expressions. "Who are you going to get to secure our house?" asked Mrs. Granger.

"Hermione is going to put up some wards tonight and then after my birthday I will come by and place a few more, with your permission of course."

"Harry got a book from his home on warding the property. I can cast most of the spells but a few of the wards needs someone with more power to cast them properly. That's why Harry will have to perform certain spells." Hermione told her parents.

"After all of the wards are set I would also like to put the home under the Fidelius charm with Hermione as the secret keeper. You will have to get your post forwarded to a different address or a post office box." Harry's gaze drifted over to Hermione and she gave him a small nod of approval. Looking back at her parents Harry continued; "It would be best if you could close your practice and leave the country. If you can't do that, at least consider a new location and career. You are both very important to Hermione and this war will come to your front door eventually."

"Mum. Dad. Please pack a bag for tonight so we can secure the house before you return home."

Hermione's parents were standing there; too shocked to respond. Being told that you would eventually be a target in your own home is not something that is easy to comprehend. Stepping up to her parents, Hermione threw her arms around her mother and quietly spoke; "Please do this for me. I want you both to be safe. I don't think that I could bear it if either of you were killed to get to me." Hermione had tears in her eyes when she finished speaking. Looking up at her father, she held his gaze for a few moments before he nodded in understanding.

"Come on Annabelle; let's go pack a bag for the next few days." John had his arm around his wife's shoulders as he led her towards their bedroom.

Harry watched silently as Hermione's parents went to pack. Shifting his attention to Hermione, he noticed that she was hugging herself while standing in the middle of the room. Without a word, he strode over to her, took her in his arms, and whispered into her ear; "It's okay Hermione. We will do everything that we can to protect your parents."

Sniffing slightly Hermione answered; "I know. I am just worried about what will happen in the future. I'm going to get started on those wards before they get back. May I see your warding book please?"

By the time that her parents had come back downstairs, she had finished putting up a few minor safety wards and a monitoring charm and keyed everyone into them. "Are you ready to go mum?"

"Yes, we packed enough for the week in case it takes you longer than you originally thought to secure the house. We can talk about our options at the hotel later. Where would you like to go first Harry?"

"To the bank, please. I don't know how long it will take to open a new account. After that, perhaps a late lunch, and then we head back to the hotel."

The ride to the bank was a comfortable one for Harry. He was positive that his Uncle Vernon would be extremely jealous of the brand new 5-series BMW that he was currently riding in. Upon arriving at the bank, Harry assumed that it worked the same way as Gringotts did so he got in line to see a teller.

"I would like to open a new account." Harry told the teller once it was his turn.

The teller looked up at the poorly dressed teen in front of her and silently started getting the necessary paperwork together. She passed the papers to Harry and asked him to fill them out. It took Harry a few minutes to convince Hermione to allow him to put her on the access list for the account. She finally relented when Harry pointed out that she was the only person that he would trust with his money and that she could blend in perfectly because of her upbringing. "I mean, honestly, could you see Ron trying to access a muggle bank account?"

Harry gave the paperwork back to the teller and she asked him "How much would you like to deposit into your new account?" Harry slid the certified bank draft from Gringotts to the teller as he smiled at her. The teller picked up the check and stared at it in shock. She looked up at Harry with a gob smacked expression on her face. "Umm…I need to get a bank manager to help you out. Accounts of this size are handled by a different department.

The teller came back a few moments later with a thin, middle-aged, man in a pin stripped suit that reminded Harry of Barty Crouch, Sr. but with a friendlier personality. "I'm Mr. Thompson, one of the managers. Please follow me Mr. Potter, Ms. Granger."

Out in the lobby Hermione's parents were surprised that the bank manager was handling Harry's account. "How large of a deposit was Harry making John?"

"I'm not sure but I do know that the manager's only handle accounts over a million pounds. Hermione mentioned an inheritance so I guess that it was rather large."

Back in the office, Mr. Thompson was going over Harry's account, and how to invest. "How much available cash would you like to have versus what you have invested Mr. Potter?"

I think that one million in cash and the rest invested in such a way that I could get easy access to it if I needed it right away." Harry said after a brief consultation with Hermione.

"Would it be possible to also get credit and ATM cards Mr. Thompson?" Hermione asked him.

"Of course you can. I'll have them ready for you in a few minutes." Mr. Thompson said and then he relayed the request to his assistant.

As they were wrapping everything up Mr. Thompson gave Harry a folder with his account information and some additional investment options if he wanted to make any changes to his account.

They were met in the lobby by Mr. Thompson's assistant where she handed over their new credit and ATM cards. "It's been a pleasure doing business with you Mr. Potter. Please give me a call if you have any questions about your account." Mr. Thompson said as he shook both of their hands.

"Thank you." Chorused Harry & Hermione and they made their way over to where her parents were seated in the lobby.

Hermione's parents stood up to meet them and Mrs. Granger asked, "All set?" After receiving a confirming nod from both teens, she continued. "Let's head out for lunch then."

"That would be great. I've never eaten out in a restaurant outside of Diagon Alley or Hogsmeade before."

Hermione and her parents all paused at Harry's unintentional confession about his home life before Mrs. Granger spoke again. "Well, that settles that then. I know just the place to eat providing that you like Italian food."

"I do. Am I going to be dressed okay?" Harry asked, obviously a bit uncomfortable about going to a restaurant dressed in the clothes that he was wearing.

Taking in his attire the Grangers realized that Harry's clothes were all too big on him and they looked quite worn. Mrs. Granger looked over at her daughter and realized that this was a sore subject for her daughter. She chose her words carefully before speaking. "Actually, Harry you are both underdressed. Why don't we stop by the mall and pick up a new outfit for each of you?"

Harry hesitated for a moment before he saw the hopeful look on Hermione's face. "Thank you. That would be great."

Hermione beamed at Harry and her mother as she looped her arms around her arms through theirs and dragging them back to the car.

Two hours, and a complete wardrobe for Harry, later they arrived at Franco's Italian Restaurant. "I'm famished. Who would have thought that shopping for clothes would work up such an appetite?" Harry said once they were seated at a private table in the corner of the restaurant.

John Granger smiled at Harry's enthusiasm. "That was a very short shopping trip that you just experienced Harry. It can take hours when the girls hit their stride."

"Really?" Harry asked. When he looked at everyone, he realized that Hermione and her mother were a bit pink with embarrassment and a touch of playful annoyance while Mr. Granger was nodding yes in answer to his question.

After pondering that revelation for a moment Harry said; "I had fun and it really wasn't that bad."

Both female Grangers beamed at him while Mr. Granger looked alarmed. John leaned over to Harry and stage whispered "You aren't supposed to admit that Harry."

Hermione and her mother broke out into giggles and she said to Harry "We can do more shopping this week if you want Harry."

"That would be great!" Harry said earnestly.

John coughed "Traitor." Under his breath while looking at Harry and that sent the rest of the table into fits of laughter.

When it came time to pay the bill Harry asked if he could pick up the check.

"Nonsense, Harry. You are helping to keep us safe and that means more to us than you will ever know. Mrs. Granger told Harry while taking his hands in hers.

"Thank you both. It was a wonderful meal and I really enjoyed myself."

A couple of hours later Harry and Hermione were sitting at her parents dining room table discussing the wards that she had just erected and the days events.

"I think that we should come add an Unplottable ward and perhaps a blood ward or two before you add the Fidelius charm. That way the ministry wouldn't be able to detect the use of magic in the house."

"Okay, that's settled then. I'll add those on my birthday and then we can pick up Ron and try to figure out where we are going to start our search for the remaining Horcruxes."

Top of Form

-->