Unofficial Portkey Archive

Roses in December by Solomon Aegis
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Roses in December

Solomon Aegis

I'm glad I didn't say never again cos' here we are. Earning a crust and normal living takes up too much time and writing gets pushed into the background, then when you dig it out again everything is dry and dusty and the ideas have stopped flowing. So a little Harry and Hermione therapy is indicated and in this tale, Hermione needs the therapy as much as I do. The story is not quite as long as Power of Love but sufficient to complete the cure, never the less.

Solomon Aegis.

Wiltshire 2009.

Roses in December

By

Solomon Aegis

One Last Little Spell

Larrick Cade wondered what in hell had made him decide to join the forces of The Dark Lord, the battle was over and his leader was dead his body cooling in a small damp room where the rats were sure to find it. The dispirited and rather ineffectual Death Eater wanted nothing more than to escape and avoid spending the rest of his life in Azkaban. After all even in the heat of battle he had never killed anyone, so really when you looked at it he hadn't done anything wrong; just a moment to make a bad decision and he would be branded the same as all the other fanatical followers, it wasn't fair.

The corridor he was hiding in was dark and quiet but he knew that sooner or later the Aurors, searching Hogwarts for such as he, would appear; he didn't have much time. There was a large window at the end of the passage, its stained glass fractured into thousands of pieces by some stray spell, and through it Larrick could see open countryside and the mountains beyond; his way out. Keeping close to the wall and in as much of the shadows that remained he crept along, nervously stopping if he imagined he heard a noise. He was so intent on his goal that he totally failed to notice the small side passage and was so surprised when someone stepped out of it that he acted purely on impulse.

"Obliviate!" he shouted, rather louder than he intended. It was the only spell he had used all day and every time but this his spells had missed but this time his aim was true. Like a sickly yellow cloud the spell enveloped the head of the girl that had given him such a shock, and Larrick watched as her eyes took on the vacant stare of those whose memories had just deserted them. Then her legs gave way and she slumped to the ground in a dead faint.

Only seconds had passed but already the sound of running feet could be heard and Larrick bolted. He had nearly reached the window when a shout from behind made him stop and turn. The voice he had heard before, not more than a few hours ago it had been throwing challenges at the Dark Lord, and now Larrick Cade the lowliest of the Death Eaters looked up into the face of his worst nightmare. Harry Potter stood next to the crumpled form on the floor and the expression of anger on his face was far greater than even Voldemort had ever seen. Fear robbed Larrick of nearly all his strength and his bowels and bladder let him down badly but it seemed that even now he could not make the right decision and he was about to make his final mistake of this momentous day. He raised his wand.

"Expelliarmus! Stupefy!" The two spells, fired almost as one, streaked from Harry's wand and Larrick's wand shot from his hand and the stunning spell took his consciousness. Such were the force of the spells that Harry unleashed Larrick's body flew backwards and smashed into the unyielding wall of the corridor; it dropped heavily to the floor and lay still.

However Harry was not concerned with the fate of the Death Eater he was far more worried about the girl at his feet. He knelt by her side and cradled her head in his lap smoothing away the wayward hair that was covering her face. He had heard the spell the Death Eater had used on her and he had seen the disastrous effects it could produce on its victims, his only comfort was that she was still alive. There was nothing he could do for the moment but wait, so he sat and stared down into a face he knew so well, that at the moment was pale but at peace, but soon would awake to confront an uncertain future with no memories of her past to support her. It tore at his heart just to think of it but whatever his feelings he knew it was imperative that he showed no emotions, he would have to lead her through those first few terrible moments when the realisation hit her, or the damage could be irretrievable.

The colour slowly returned to her cheeks and Harry watched the long lashes of her eyelids flutter as she began to regain consciousness. Her eyes opened, they were unfocused and devoid of the usual sparkle Harry was used to seeing, they moved desperately trying to make some sense of her surroundings, and Harry could feel the panic rising as at last she looked at him. He smiled and smoothed her hair.

"Hi," he said quietly, "just lie still for a moment, you'll be ok," he felt her relax a little. "My name is Harry I'm your friend, I won't let anyone hurt you; you will be safe with me." Simple statements of comfort and security, Harry knew how important these were, for the full impact of the effects of the memory spell were only seconds away.

Suddenly she sat up and turning to Harry grabbed his arm. "You're my friend?" there was a touch of panic in her voice and Harry nodded. "Harry," she said trying out the name.

"That's right."

"But...," and the tears welled up in her eyes. "I can't...," she blinked and the tears cascaded down her cheeks. "I don't...,"she sobbed, and her grip on Harry's arm tightened. He pulled her to him and enveloped her in his arms, strong arms, safe arms, but other than the name of the person who owned those arms she couldn't remember anything.

Harry had to tread very carefully now the person in his arms was literally clinging on to the only thing she knew. Her sobs wracked her body and if he allowed the panic to build she would find refuge in the inner reaches of a blank mind and be lost forever.

"Hermione," he whispered in her ear, gently shaking her shoulders to get her attention back to him. "Your name is Hermione and you are my best friend."

She lifted her head to look him in the face, he betrayed none of his inner emotions, she saw a calm, compassionate and yet resolute expression that gave her the confidence to speak. Her voice still trembled as she fought the terror down. "Hermione?"

"Yes."

"But it's just a name, I don't know who she is," Hermione almost choked on the words.

"I do," said Harry, in a matter of fact voice, "and you would be surprised at the things I can do to help you remember." He stood and then helped Hermione to her feet; she clung to him as if she would never let him go.

He led her slowly up the main corridor away from the crumpled form of Larrick Cade and they had but gone a few yards when the sound of people coming toward them reached their ears. Four burly Aurors appeared at the end of the corridor Harry beckoned for them to hurry.

"Mr Potter, Miss Granger, you need to be careful we cornered two Death Eaters in a room not far from here," said the leader of the group.

"There's another one over there," said Harry nodding to the heap by the window. "He could still be alive, but he attacked Hermione, I wasn't very gentle."

"He's still with us," called the Auror who had crossed over to Larrick's body, "I'll send for the healers Barton," he said to his boss, "and stay with him, though I doubt he will give us any problems, Mr Potter did a very through job I'd say."

Barton Ash waved his assent and then turned his attention to the young couple before him. He could see that Harry was desperately trying to tell him something with his eyes and yet was unwilling to speak it. The senior Auror took in Hermione's dishevelled appearance then from behind the girl, he saw Harry silently mouth 'Obliviated'. Ash swore quietly, it was such a shame; a life ruined, everything she could have been wiped away in an instant.

"We'll leave these two to get on lads," he said, ushering his men away, "there's bound to be more like that one over there skulking around." He gave Harry one last look, "Good luck young man, and thanks we owe you a lot."

Harry with Hermione still clinging to him headed toward the only place he knew he could get help. He knew Madam Pomfrey would be busy but she was the only healer he really trusted especially as Hermione's sanity was at stake. For the first ten minutes of their climb to the Hospital Hermione said nothing but she had obviously been thinking as hard as she could.

"Hermione Granger, that's me and Harry Potter that's you." She stated the two facts she was sure about. "You have done something important, haven't you?" Harry waited watching the thought processes of the smartest witch he had ever known work through the scant information she had available to her. "That man Barton Ash, said he owed you a lot. No that's not right he said we and he wasn't just meaning his men either, he meant everyone didn't he Harry?"

"Yes," Harry reluctantly agreed.

"What did you do?"

"It was nothing really," He didn't want to talk about it, but for Hermione's sake he knew he had to. "I had a fight ...Voldemort was a very bad man, he wanted to rule us all, we fought and he died," he explained. "Nearly everybody is very happy about it."

"Voldemort," Hermione said the word slowly her mind testing it to see if it meant anything, there was nothing, but the mention of that name unaccountably made her shudder. "You're not happy are you Harry? Not happy at all."

"No I'm not but I gave him the chance to give it all up, I don't suppose he could, he tried to kill me but he wasn't able to, his attempt backfired on him and he died,"

"But that means you didn't kill him, he killed himself." Harry gazed at Hermione in wonder; even in this state she had helped him yet again, how on earth was he ever going to repay her for all the times she had done that.

When they reached the ward the scene was one of total bedlam the injured filled the beds and occupied mattresses that covered most of the remaining empty floor space, healers from St.Mungo's were moving from patient to patient but standing serene and in complete control of the chaos was the school nurse Madam Pomfrey. She saw Harry and Hermione immediately and moved quickly to intercept the St.Mungo's healer that was headed toward them.

"I will deal with these two," she said imperiously waving the man away; he shrugged his shoulders and turned instead to the occupant of one of the beds who looked in a bad way. Madam Pomfrey drew Harry and Hermione through the ward and into the relative quiet of her office. "What can I do for you two," but as she said the words she was looking at Hermione watching the girl's reaction to what was going on around her and the way she was hanging on to Harry. Harry saw the sadness creep into the nurse's eyes. "Harry, I need to have a word with you; would you ask?" She nodded toward Hermione and gave the girl a comforting pat on the shoulder as she left.

Harry was puzzled by the nurse's request but did as he was bade. "Do you mind Hermione, if I go and have a quick word?"

Hermione shook her head. "No, I don't mind but not for too long Harry, please?" she entreated.

"Only just a moment," Harry replied as steadily as he could.

"How long ago?" Madam Pomfrey asked when they were alone.

"About half an hour."

"A full power spell?"

"I don't know, I didn't see it happen only heard it but I think so yes."

"What of the perpetrator."

"I nearly blasted him through the castle wall, but he is still alive. Auror Barton Ash has him."

"Glad to see you haven't lost your touch Harry," there was a fierce pride in the nurse's eyes. "Having the spell caster to interrogate will help, but having you as Miss Granger's anchor will be even better. No one else has spoken to her?"

"Err ...not directly no, why is that important? I was just worried that Hermione might retreat away from reality so all I have done is to encourage her."

"Well there is a chance we can effect a cure. It's a new type of treatment, not tested yet, saw a parchment on it the other day." She sighed, "This is going to be a tough one and hard on you Harry."

"Harder on Ron," the nurse raised her eyebrows in question. "He and Hermione had just reached an understanding," Harry explained only going slightly red.

"Ahh! I see," the nurse nodded wisely, her many years at the school had given her rare insight to the complexities of teenage relationships. "Well only time will tell how that will turn out."

Harry glanced back at the office door, he could see Hermione sitting where he had left her, she had her eyes closed and her brow was furrowed in concentration. "Her mind is as fast as it was before you know," he said. "From just a few words and my reactions she knew I was troubled about Voldemort, she worked it all out; she is amazing. I was so worried she would be like Lockhart."

"Gilderoy Lockhart was an idiot before he was obliviated Harry. Your Miss Granger is made of much different stuff; her mind has not been affected only her memories and restoring them is going to be up to you."

"Me... but..."

"Come on Harry not like you to shirk a responsibility." The mediwitch sat Harry down and began to explain. "It is very important for the obliviated to have one person acting as an anchor for them and as Hermione is already responding to you, you are the chosen one." Madam Pomfrey winced as she said it. "Sorry Harry, that didn't come out the way I intended."

"It's alright, but surely it should be Ron looking after her."

"No Harry if Professor Cervelet is correct only you will do. If you desert her now it could take months or years to get her to accept someone else, sometimes they never do and if that is the case you would lose the original Hermione for good." Madam Pomfrey watched Harry's face and the emotions that raced across it. She knew beyond doubt that Harry would never let that happen if he could help it, the young woman in her office meant too much to him; she wondered if he knew how much. "Go back to her Harry, I will sort out the logistics," she broke off as raised voices drew her attention to the main door, "and any other little problems that might turn up." She added softly almost to herself.

Ron was standing in the doorway looking pale and worried trying to get past a healer that was baring his way. Harry saw Ron and was about to go over to him but Madam Pomfrey stopped him. "No Harry you must go to Hermione her need is paramount, I will speak to Mr. Weasley."

Harry threw Ron a wave and did as the mediwitch asked, ignoring the cry of "Harry!" that Ron shouted across the room at him. As Harry closed the office door quietly behind him, trying not to disturb Hermione's concentration in case it was helping her, Hermione opened her eyes and she smiled at him. Harry swallowed the lump that rose into his throat and smiled back.

"Ok?" he asked.

"Better now, I was worried, you were gone for so long." Harry walked over and sat in the chair next to her, "I've been thinking while you've been gone," she continued, "to see if there are any things I can remember."

"Oh! and are there?"

"Well nothing is very clear it is sort of like looking at them through a thick fog, but I do see the shapes of a man and a woman but I can't place them."

"At least that's a start," said Harry encouragingly.

"And there are other shadows but they make no sense either."

"I wonder..." Harry hardly dared to speak his thought.

"What Harry, what do you wonder?"

"Well there is this spell..."

"Hang on," Hermione interrupted, "Spell? What do you mean by spell, do you think you can do magic or something?"

"Err yes," said Harry uncertain for the moment how to continue, "and so can you."

"Excuse me!"

Harry was shocked; he hadn't counted on this if Hermione couldn't believe in her magical ability how on earth were they going to get her back. He did some very quick thinking. "Look around you, at the bottles on the shelves," he said, indicating some of Madam Pomfrey's treatments. "See that one, 'Skele-Gro' that's used to mend broken bones or regrow them if they get removed by mistake, and that one 'Dreamless Sleep' ...well ... err ...it does what it says on the bottle," he finished lamely suddenly realising how daft it all sounded when you tried to explain it. He could see the disbelief in Hermione's eyes and knew that the only way she would start to understand was if he showed her.

He drew out his wand, his newly repaired wand, the elder wand, that by now he had intended to return to Dumbledore's tomb, he left hidden in his robes. "This is my wand, you have one too," Hermione began to search her pockets, "No wait," Harry stopped her by grabbing her hand then self consciously letting her go. "Err... will get to yours in a moment." He saw a glimmer of a 'well get on with it' look in Hermione's eyes he had seen so often before, and then he had a brilliant idea.

"Watch..." Harry took of his glasses and placed them on the desk, and hit them once with a bottle of 'Patricia Peacock's Practically Perfect Pills'. What they were really used for Harry had no idea but they were sufficiently heavy to do the job he needed them for. His glasses broke into several pieces and one lens shattered.

"You're potty Harry, why did you do that!" Hermione exclaimed.

Harry smiled at her unintentional pun. "So that I can show you this," he pointed his wand at the broken spectacles. "Oculus Reparo" and before their eyes the shards of glass began to come back together and the frames untwist until with a 'Snap!' the glasses were whole again.

"It's only a simple spell, but it works for most people," he said. Harry wondered if he was taking a terrible risk with Hermione's recovery, but they both needed to know so he broke the glasses once more, and said, "Now you try it."

During Harry's little demonstration Hermione had watched him intently wondering initially if he was just playing the fool, but she soon realised that he was deadly serious and was amazed to see the effect of the spell. Eager now to try for herself Hermione renewed the search through her pockets for her wand. She shook out the folds of her robes in frustration and her wand dislodged from its hiding place fell to the floor with a clatter.

Harry picked it up; he could feel a slight tingle in the very end of his fingers as he held out the vine wood wand for Hermione to take. Her eagerness now replaced with trepidation she made no move to take it. "Go on, you won't know until you try," said Harry gently, almost putting the wand in her suddenly reluctant hands. He felt the tingle intensify as Hermione's hand closed around the base of the wand and saw some confidence flow back into her, as she must have felt it for herself.

She looked to Harry for guidance and reassurance and he simply nodded for her to continue. Raising the wand just has Harry had done Hermione pointed it at the broken spectacles and spoke the words "Oculus Reparo!" the shattered glasses flew back together with the same satisfying "Snap!" as they had before and thoroughly overjoyed with her success she threw her arms around Harry's neck and kissed him on the cheek. "Oh wow!" she cried out in excitement. Harry's instantaneous but momentary feeling of awkwardness at her reaction slipped away as he found his face buried in Hermione's thick bushy hair. He closed his eyes but even as he revelled in this closeness, he found himself chanting, in his mind, the mantra he had used over more years than he really wanted to remember to hide his deepest feelings for this young witch. "Only like a sister, only like a sister."

By the end of that first afternoon, the chaos in the hospital ward had calmed. All the seriously injured were on their way to St.Mungo's and those walking wounded sent to their families only three beds were occupied and those in them due to be sent home the following morning. Harry and Hermione were still sitting side by side in Madam Pomfrey's office shut off from the rest of the world. Harry had used the time to continue to test Hermione's magical ability and apart from the fact that she had forgotten all her hard won knowledge her skill at performing spells, once shown how to do them, had not changed one bit.

Harry looked up from the teacup that Hermione had just transfigured into a frog as Madam Pomfrey tapped lightly on the glass panel of her office door and beckoned him outside.

"That's amazing Hermione," he congratulated her, "try it again and I'll be back in a moment." She glanced up and saw the mediwitch.

"Ok Harry," she sounded happy. Harry gave an inaudible sigh stood and went to the door.

Madam Pomfrey ushered him out and closed the door behind him. "Right, it's all been arranged, Hermione will stay here until tomorrow afternoon and then you are to take her up to the Headmaster's study, Professor McGonagall, has vacated it for the moment, we thought it would create the right environment. All the paintings know what has happened they won't speak to her or disrupt her treatment."

"What treatment? Hermione hasn't had any yet." Said Harry, if he was truthful he was a little frustrated that someone more qualified hadn't arrived to at least check his friend over.

"Oh Harry, you have been treating Hermione all afternoon, you have given her a sense of who she is and reinforced that by teaching her that her magic is still as good as it was." Madam Pomfrey smiled genuinely for the first time since the battle. "No one could have done better; in fact no one could have done as well."

"But what about her memories, I don't know anything about restoring those, and without them she won't be the Hermione that I know and ..." his voice tailed off.

"It's alright Harry you are allowed to say that you love her," she laid a hand on his shoulder and gave it a comforting squeeze, "we all do you know. As for restoring her memories, I have sent to Beauxbatons for help." Harry gave her a questioning look. "That is where Professor Cervelet works," she continued by way of explanation, "He wrote the parchment on the new treatment and he is the best in this field that I know of, I am sure he will give you the guidance you need."

"Me!"

"Oh yes Harry, Hermione's full recovery is still in your hands." The mediwitch watched Harry's face as the determination to see this new task through settled onto it, satisfied with what she saw she handed Harry a purple coloured potion. "Here Harry, a sleeping draught, make sure Hermione drinks it all, we will let her rest as long as it lasts and then you can take it from there."

Harry sat with Hermione all that night and into the next morning, while she slept the dreamless sleep the potion had given her. He might have dozed occasionally but mainly he stared at the peaceful face of the girl he had tried so hard not to fall in love with but it seemed he had even failed in that.

Some time after dawn Harry heard the doors to the ward open, he looked over and saw a ginger-haired head poke around the gap. "Hi Harry."

Hello Ron, come in, Hermione's asleep."

He watched Ron cross the floor his eyes almost anywhere but on the girl in the bed, but eventually he had to look. He sighed, "Doesn't look any different does she?"

"No."

"Hard to think that she's gone... Mum said that here's nothing to be done..."

Harry shrugged his shoulders, "Well that's not the way I see it," not for the first time did he find himself at odds with the thoughts of the matriarch of the Weasley clan. "Madam Pomfrey said that..."

"I know Harry she told us all about this French bloke, but she is about the only one who thinks he can do anything."

"Well, I'm not going to give up just yet."

"What do you mean?" asked Ron suspiciously.

"It appears I started Hermione's treatment yesterday and now I have to continue with it." He looked back down at the sleeping girl. "She means too much to me to let go just like that."

"Oh! I see, 'sisterly feelings' eh?" said Ron sarcastically.

Harry stared at his best friend, he didn't want to lie to Ron but telling him now that he had suppressed his feelings and not interfered when Hermione had taken a shine to his ginger chum would do no good whatsoever. He sighed and kept it simple. "I just want to make her better Ron and if I can't then I will support her in any way I can."

"Sorry Harry... didn't understand," he said apologetically. Ron took Hermione's hand and rubbed it gently; lifting it to his lips, he kissed it once then returned it to its place atop of the bed covers. He sighed once more. "I wish I was like you mate, I wish I could believe but I can't. See you Harry," he patted Hermione's hand, "Goodbye Hermione," he whispered then he turned and walked quickly from the ward.

* * *

Hermione woke just before lunchtime; the rest seemed to have done her some good the same could not be said for Harry. He was very tired and struggled to keep up the encouraging tone vowing not to let the girl descend into depression. Eventually it appeared that everything was prepared and Madam Pomfrey gave Harry permission to leave the ward.

The journey to the Headmaster's Study could not have been more different from their last one, 'was it only two days ago,' Harry thought. A great deal of tidying up had taken place in the intervening hours the damage to the castle was still evident, but blood and bodies were not. The gargoyle at the base of the stairs to the study was perched once again on its plinth but stood aside as they approached, acknowledging them with a stiff little bow. Barely a rustle from the portraits greeted their entrance this time, there was the pensive sitting on the desk where Harry had left it and now up in its customary place, looking a little singed was the sorting hat. Harry felt his doubts lift; perhaps they were right this place had a feel about it there was almost an expectation that if you tried really hard then anything was possible.

Hermione had held tightly to Harry's hand all the way from the hospital and the reassurance that contact had given her had allowed her to take in much of the state of the castle. Something awful had happened in this place and this young wizard by her side had played a major role and ended the battle by killing this Voldemort character. She wondered what else he had done over the years she had apparently been his best friend, and whether their relationship had ever grown any closer. She thought maybe there was more or why would he be so attentive and have such a strong wish for her to regain all her memories surely not to pass her on to someone else when it was all resolved?

It was a conundrum she couldn't answer but she soaked up his presence never the less, he made her feel very safe, very comfortable and very ...yes, loved, there was no other way to describe it. He was taking her to the Headmaster's study a place where he could continue to teach her all about herself somewhere she hoped she could learn more about him.

"Well this is it," said Harry waving his free arm to encompass the strange room. "They seem to think that everything we will need is here, and they are probably right but at this moment I am hungry and very tired; how about you?"

Hermione tore her eyes from the moving portraits that covered the walls, one especially, an old man with flowing star covered robes, long white hair and half moon glasses that failed to hide the sparkle in his blue eyes, appeared very interested in her. "Yes now you mention it I am hungry, not so tired, had a good sleep," she giggled lightly, "Who's that?" She pointed at the newest portrait in the room.

"That is Albus Dumbledore, the greatest headmaster Hogwarts has ever seen." Dumbledore's portrait had the grace to blush slightly. "He liked you, thought that you and I ...well never mind."

But Hermione had picked up Harry's awkwardness, obliviated or not she was still the smartest witch of her age, and now she knew that for Harry at least there was more than just friendship in the way he felt. She had no opportunity to pursue this thought for at that moment a small, wizened figure carrying a large tray suddenly appeared out of thin air. He placed the tray on the desk and giving Harry a small bow promptly vanished again. "Thanks Kreacher!" Harry called out to the space the house elf had occupied seconds before. "Food..." he said to Hermione, he led her over to the table and sat her down in a chair.

There was more than they could eat on the tray but they made a creditable attempt to finish it all. Several times during their meal Harry had to stifle a yawn the day was catching up with him, Hermione was not so successful and a full-bodied one showed, despite her long dreamless sleep, how tired she really was. "It's strange I should be wide awake but I really think I need to go to bed," she said covering her mouth as another yawn erupted, "Oh dear excuse me!" she apologised.

Yawns are catching and this time Harry could not help himself, "Sorry, me too," he said. "I wonder what arrangements have been made?" and as if in answer there was a loud click from somewhere in the line of bookcases against the wall and a hidden doorway swung open. "Perhaps in there," he suggested as he rose and headed for the gap. Candles burst into flame the moment he crossed the threshold and revealed a bedroom containing a large and comfortable looking four-poster bed. "Well that must be for you," he pointed the bed out to Hermione who had followed him in. "You make yourself comfortable in here, I'll sort out something for myself and sleep in the main study but if you don't mind I'd like to use the bathroom first."

He returned after a few minutes to find Hermione partly undressed and he rapidly closed his eyes and turned away; he heard her laugh. "Come on Harry I bet after all the time we have known each other we don't have any secrets."

"Err... not many," he said uncertainly, "But that is one of them."

"Oh... sorry," he wasn't sure but he thought she sounded disappointed. "I'll go and use the bathroom," he felt a scented breeze waft by him as she passed, "You can open your eyes now," she said, as he heard the bathroom door click shut behind him.

Harry walked out into the main study, and conjured himself a small but quite adequate camp bed. As he got himself ready, he had an uncomfortable feeling that he was being watched. He looked at the portraits on the walls some were empty and those headmasters that were still in residence appeared to be fast asleep only one was staring at him and his eyes twinkled as Harry sat on the edge of his bed and stared back.

"So are you going to help me with this?" Harry asked Dumbledore.

Dumbledore chuckled, "I think you are coping admirably but if you require help then everything you need is here. It is Miss Granger we are concerned with Harry, you must know her the best of anyone; and as you told me yourself your attempts to cure her will not be clouded by the sentiment of romantic love." Harry knew that Dumbledore wasn't fooled.

"Can't I even hide that from you?" Dumbledore didn't answer. "I am so worried that I will let my feelings get the better of what is right and that I will influence her to get what I have wanted for so long."

"I don't think you could Harry, that is not the sort of person you are. Besides, I have always considered that the original girl would be a good match for you, but that has to be her decision and she cannot make it without all the information." Dumbledore looked over the top of his glasses and raised his eyebrows. "And I do mean all the information. Goodnight Harry." With that, Dumbledore's head tipped forward and he fell into the relaxed position he assumed when he was asleep.

Harry knew he would get no more out of Dumbledore now so he lay back on his bed dug his wand from his robes muttered "Illuminus Nox" and put out the candles. As darkness descended on the study Harry could see that the door to the bedroom was still partly open as the light from inside shone through. He silently berated himself for not realising that Hermione would not be able to put out the candles. Harry pushed his blanket from him so that he could getup again and do it for her when he heard a quiet repetition of his spell and the light faded and darkness enclosed the bedroom as well. "That was clever of her," he thought as sleep rapidly claimed him, not realising for a moment that Hermione was simply repeating the spell she had heard him use, just as she had heard most of his conversation with Dumbledore.

* * *